Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 371 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

BTW, Samsung launches a new 78" 4K TV. If only they had done this with the F8500 (I'm not even going to mention them doing this with an OLED)...

Why Plasma TV's are dying?

 

1. Pixels are too BIG to squeeze twice as many in the same screen sizes.

A current 65-inch, full HD Panasonic plasma with a native screen resolution of 1920×1080, for example the 65″ VT65/VT60, has a pixel pitch of 0.747mm. The smallest pixel pitch ever recorded on a commercially available plasma TV is 0.48mm, found on every single 42-inch full HD 1080p Panasonic plasma like the TX-P42ST60. In order to squeeze twice the number of pixels both horizontally and vertically into a 65in screen with 3840×2160 resolution, plasma television makers have to somehow find a way to halve pixel pitch down to about 0.32mm, which is 33% smaller than the smallest pixel pitch on record for a publicly purchasable PDP. Tall order.

 

2. European Union Energy Standards have tightened down on the higher energy consumption of Plasma's and seeings how 4k would Double Power Consumption they do not meet the new energy standards. Since TV Manufactures ship Worldwide this makes Plasma TV's obsolete. Because it would take a lot of R&D to fix both of these issues.

 

While the lower Picture Quality of LCD's already have Small Pixel Sizes & Low Energy Consumption.

 

 

 

Source: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

JimP likes this.
AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dougofthenorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
no new F8500 it stays the same
Will be interesting to see what the Evo Kit offers

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1395062567

Copyright Samsung
"Instead of releasing a new high-end plasma TV, Samsung’s 2013 flagship F8500 plasma TV will continue unchanged in 2014. It comes with Samsung’s most advanced plasma technology and Smart TV features, including TV apps. It also support’s Samsung’s Evolution Kit so it is possible to upgrade the Smart TV platform when the new Evolution Kit arrive in a few months’ time. "

With no new high-end plasma TV from Samsung, we are nearing the end. Panasonic is out, and LG and Samsung will only release mid-range plasma TVs in 2014.
Copyright Samsung

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Dougofthenorth is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

Am I the only one who is not all that excited?
Nope. LG is the only manufacturer who gives an actual damn about superlative PQ versus gimmicks (in spite of their infatuation with curved OLEDs).
vinnie97 is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Sick Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What I meant was a 1080p, 78" plasma.
Sick Mother is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,565
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Are the differences really noticeable by eye trained or untrained? Probably not unless you are able to perform a side by side comparison.
Don't get me wrong I'm all for attaining the best possible results but if there was such a marked difference I'm sure most other pros would invest in a Jeti too.

Kudos to Chad for doing so but those that have had pro cals by other respected calibrators with other types of meters, fret not, your cal is up there with the best of them.

In six months your TVs will have strayed off've perfect anyway...

There are DIYers on the forum who have said there is a difference before and after - a couple in the Panasonic threads.

Just because you don't own a Jeti, I wouldn't minimize the fact it will give better results. wink.gif
Dougofthenorth likes this.

DavidHir is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 03:45 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67

I ran into a snag today while trying to watch 3D on my Directv Reciever.

 

If anyone here has Directv as well you can try channel 107 (3net).

Where I get a message that says:

(This program cannot be viewed because this TV is not 3D capable)

Which as all F8500 owners know is untrue.

 

So does anyone know of a trick for fixing this dilemma on the F8500?

As my Directv Genie HR34-700 has no options under settings for 3D,

and of course is connected via HDMI.

AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 04:26 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

What I meant was a 1080p, 78" plasma.
The death of plasma is a foregone conclusion, so the lack of any such beast no longer phases me.
vinnie97 is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 04:58 PM
 
aj32581's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

It's a moot point because with a viewing distance around 10' Feet you just start to notice the benefits of 4K on an 85" screen size,
before you can see a difference to 1080p for someone with 20/20 Vision.

It only looks better in the stores because you literally walk right past them and look at the pixels, and up-close it is much clearer however as you stand back at a real viewing distance, the average human eye cannot see a difference. Unless you are tricking yourself because you have read and listened to all of the Hype and propaganda surrounding the sale of 4k TV's that try and justify their higher Prices for normal screen sizes under 65" which have No real world benefits at proper viewing distances.

"ISF states the the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order):
1) Contrast Ratio, 2) Color Saturation, 3) Color Accuracy, 4) Resolution.
Resolution is 4th on the list and Plasma is generally superior to LCD in all of the other areas (but much more prone to reflections/glare.)
So pick your display size, then measure your seating distance, and use the chart below to figure out if you would benefit from the larger screen size."

Typically 4K will only matter if you decide to go huge with a Projector, as any affordable Plasma's at 1080p do not exceed 85".
I stress affordable.

(Click on Image to Enlarge)
PS: if you have to Enlarge then you obviously already will not be as susceptible
to 4k because your vision is less than 20/20 more than likely.



Thumbs-up if you like the Info smile.gif

Great breakdown of the Truth behind the 4K hoax AlaskanAVGuy
I think it sucks that this new 4K gimmick to make people go out and buy yet another TV again,
is just another passing fad as most consumers today still haven't taken advantage of what's already available to them.
And now were changing formats presumably again. Even for a diehard A/V fan I think this is just ridiculous.
But then again if this helps lower 1080 sets it's my gain.
aj32581 is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 4,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

I ran into a snag today while trying to watch 3D on my Directv Reciever.

If anyone here has Directv as well you can try channel 107 (3net).
Where I get a message that says:
(This program cannot be viewed because this TV is not 3D capable)
Which as all F8500 owners know is untrue.

So does anyone know of a trick for fixing this dilemma on the F8500?
As my Directv Genie HR34-700 has no options under settings for 3D,
and of course is connected via HDMI.

DirecTV, on 107, Input into a Radiance XS-3D, then to the F8500 - 3D, no issue. Check what HDMI Cable you're using if going direct. If through AVR, check input and output cables.
p5browne is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Member
 
markus46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the information smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Yes and no. Yes like the zt because there are no internal reflections to deal with that could harm the picture. No not like the zt because the zt has the plasma panel bonded to the substrate and then the substrate is bonded to the second pane of glass that gives the zt that one sheet of glass design.

It's reLly suppose to eliminate any possible defeciencies brought upon by the second pane of glass.....it's as if there was no second pane of glass....so it's giving a picture just like the f8500 would or even a kuro

BUT the zt light filter may have been bonded differently to the tv which is why the filter is able to keep the blacks soo inky in bright rooms
markus46 is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

I ran into a snag today while trying to watch 3D on my Directv Reciever.

If anyone here has Directv as well you can try channel 107 (3net).
Where I get a message that says:
(This program cannot be viewed because this TV is not 3D capable)
Which as all F8500 owners know is untrue.

So does anyone know of a trick for fixing this dilemma on the F8500?
As my Directv Genie HR34-700 has no options under settings for 3D,
and of course is connected via HDMI.
I used to get that randomly on my es7500. I would have to turn the TV off and back on again and it would then it would recognize it. I can then go and watch 2D channels and later go back to it and it would not recognize it so would need to power it off and on again. I have had other 3D TV's from other brands. Only the Samsung had this issue with Direct TV.
eric3316 is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post


I used to get that randomly on my es7500. I would have to turn the TV off and back on again and it would then it would recognize it. I can then go and watch 2D channels and later go back to it and it would not recognize it so would need to power it off and on again. I have had other 3D TV's from other brands. Only the Samsung had this issue with Direct TV.


Hmm thanks for the tips I tried that, and yes i'm connecting Directv Receiver directly to the

F8500 via HDMI. It's not like i'm a rookie at this but the problem still occurs.

The Directv Website has a list of 3D TV's that they say will work but all of them

are TV's that are older than 2013 models apparently. I've heard that they use

the Side by Side 3D and so I changed that manually in my TV's menu but no change.

AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,884
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Nope. LG is the only manufacturer who gives an actual damn about superlative PQ versus gimmicks (in spite of their infatuation with curved OLEDs).

maybe because they don't have anything going for them right now in either market. they have been 'bottom rung' on the plasma game for awhile, and I can't remember the last time anybody recommended an LG LCD. if they come out with a consistent OLED, that's the biggest splash they can make right now. Samsung is content to keep peddling junk to the sheeple, and it seems most others can't risk making waves.

I really hope LG pulls off the OLED, and I hope all the manufacturers that decided to put their efforts into curving a crappy LCD screen instead of fixing it, get what's coming to them. unfortunately, it's a sad reality that the company with the biggest marketing budget is often tough to dethrone...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,884
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj32581 View Post

Great breakdown of the Truth behind the 4K hoax AlaskanAVGuy
I think it sucks that this new 4K gimmick to make people go out and buy yet another TV again,
is just another passing fad as most consumers today still haven't taken advantage of what's already available to them.
And now were changing formats presumably again. Even for a diehard A/V fan I think this is just ridiculous.
But then again if this helps lower 1080 sets it's my gain.

it won't frown.gif
it's just a way for them to charge more again. they are 'losing money' selling at the current prices, those prices won't go down if production decreases. unless there's some way to make the manufacturing process way more efficient(and it's unlikely there would be this late into the game).

they made money selling 60" LED TV's for 3grand, they aren't making money selling them for 1000. can't just jack up the prices now, so they need to change something, anything really, to justify charging 3grand again(even though production costs will likely be similar as soon as they ramp up production)

anyway, my biggest beef with UHD isn't that it's not an improvement, it is. my beef is that it's not the most needed improvement, and imo the rest of the industry is not ready to take advantage of it yet. I still can't get 1080p ANYWHERE other than blurays. there is no cable, or reliable streaming option available to me. if the local cable and internet companies can't provide the bandwidth needed for 1080p now, they won't be ready for UHD for a decade. secondly, we do need large TV's to take advantage of this, and while having a 100inch screen isn't crazy anymore, getting a 100inch flatscreen into an average home is. maybe they will figure out a way to transport such a large screen in sections, or build a 'soft' screen that can bend/roll around corners. but until they do, I'm knocking down a wall every time I get a new tv, or move my tv into a different room.

anyway, I guess my point is I'm not upset with the progress from 1080p to UHD. I am upset with the lack of progress from LCD to oled, or from edgelit LED's to something with a uniform backlight and excellent blacks, color, and off angle viewing.
tboe77 and Tom Riddle like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

Samsung is content to keep peddling junk to the sheeple, and it seems most others can't risk making waves.

How would they know if they haven't been shown the light? Were people on this forum born with all the knowledge? You can change a lot of people but not them all.

Besides... How is Samsung junk? You're in an F8500 thread.

Every manufacturer makes good and bad sets.
Denniswrly likes this.
xvfx is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Member
 
mmmccall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post


Hmm thanks for the tips I tried that, and yes i'm connecting Directv Receiver directly to the
F8500 via HDMI. It's not like i'm a rookie at this but the problem still occurs.
The Directv Website has a list of 3D TV's that they say will work but all of them
are TV's that are older than 2013 models apparently. I've heard that they use
the Side by Side 3D and so I changed that manually in my TV's menu but no change.

This may sound simple but I was having this problem watching DirecTV 3d pay per view movies. I found if I went to the channel and unplugged the Hdmi from the back of the set and plugged back in - it worked. Merely a handshake issue I think
mmmccall is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
 
aj32581's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it won't frown.gif
it's just a way for them to charge more again. they are 'losing money' selling at the current prices, those prices won't go down if production decreases. unless there's some way to make the manufacturing process way more efficient(and it's unlikely there would be this late into the game).

they made money selling 60" LED TV's for 3grand, they aren't making money selling them for 1000. can't just jack up the prices now, so they need to change something, anything really, to justify charging 3grand again(even though production costs will likely be similar as soon as they ramp up production)

anyway, my biggest beef with UHD isn't that it's not an improvement, it is. my beef is that it's not the most needed improvement, and imo the rest of the industry is not ready to take advantage of it yet. I still can't get 1080p ANYWHERE other than blurays. there is no cable, or reliable streaming option available to me. if the local cable and internet companies can't provide the bandwidth needed for 1080p now, they won't be ready for UHD for a decade. secondly, we do need large TV's to take advantage of this, and while having a 100inch screen isn't crazy anymore, getting a 100inch flatscreen into an average home is. maybe they will figure out a way to transport such a large screen in sections, or build a 'soft' screen that can bend/roll around corners. but until they do, I'm knocking down a wall every time I get a new tv, or move my tv into a different room.

anyway, I guess my point is I'm not upset with the progress from 1080p to UHD. I am upset with the lack of progress from LCD to oled, or from edgelit LED's to something with a uniform backlight and excellent blacks, color, and off angle viewing.

That's not true at all, look at what happened to the 720 TV's when 1080 came on the seen as Full HD.
The prices for the 720 TV's are dirt cheap now. I think AlaskaAVGuy is correct in assuming that this
4K gimmick will push down the prices of our 1080 sets. So as stupid as 4k is to most people that
don't sit super close to their TV's or have a need or budget to go over a 85" Screen Size.
This will be great for pushing down the prices of those 1080 TV's. And in my opinion
will fizzle out like 3D will for the Majority of Consumers. Afterall we are the A/V freaks
here on this site, and even I find 4K to be impractical and expensive so what's
that tell you about everyone else out there that could care less...4K will die.

ps: You do realize that it doesn't cost manufactures $1000 to make a 60"
it's a fraction of that when their being mass produced. Their making money
hand over fist because of higher sales volumes at those prices.
aj32581 is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 255
4K will not disappear. It is here to stay whether a gimmick or not. The consumer has no clue. In their mind, 4K is twice as good as 2K. In 5 years there will be no 2K tv's being made anymore. They will all be 4K because they will be cheap to make. Unless they can cheaply build 4K OLED, that technology will die just like plasma. It's about profit margin. There is a much smaller profit margin with plasma and OLED vs LED. Pioneer figured that out. Panasonic figured that out, and soon LG and Samsung will figure it out. The war is over. LED won. Simple as that.
wxman is online now  
Old 03-22-2014, 12:40 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Ignoring the high end, sure, LCD won. By your definition, Samsung has already "figured it out" (no OLED announcements for 2014). I hope LG never "figures it out" and proves the naysayers wrong by carving out a high-end niche in the near-term. I agree that 4K is here to stay.
vinnie97 is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:19 PM
 
aj32581's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

4K will not disappear. It is here to stay whether a gimmick or not. The consumer has no clue. In their mind, 4K is twice as good as 2K. In 5 years there will be no 2K tv's being made anymore. They will all be 4K because they will be cheap to make. Unless they can cheaply build 4K OLED, that technology will die just like plasma. It's about profit margin. There is a much smaller profit margin with plasma and OLED vs LED. Pioneer figured that out. Panasonic figured that out, and soon LG and Samsung will figure it out. The war is over. LED won. Simple as that.

Wrong again...about your previous statement:
" In 5 years there will be no 2K tv's being made anymore."
If this held any water then the same would be true about 1080 over 720 or 480
and yet 720 TV's are still being released in 2014 in Fact Samsung has 2 of them new this year.
So you are forgetting your A/V history. Not to mention the regular consumer has barely came along to
purchase current 1080 sets. They will be very reluctant to buy another HD set with ZERO CONTENT being STREAMED
on popular sites like Netflix. Or even on Directv or Dish Network. So if it does stay it's gonna be a while before the infrastructure
is prepared for most sheeple to make that leap towards 4k. Even for me a hardcore A/V fan this is premature. And it does stand
that it could easily fail just like 3D has for the Regular Consumers out there.

Consider that the public doesn't care about 4k here's an example of the public. They made MP3's Popular when their a huge step
backwords in Audio Quality from the CD that preceded them. The sheeple go for whatever is easier and cheaper everytime.
aj32581 is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj32581 View Post

Wrong again...about your previous statement:
" In 5 years there will be no 2K tv's being made anymore."
If this held any water then the same would be true about 1080 over 720 or 480
and yet 720 TV's are still being released in 2014 in Fact Samsung has 2 of them new this year.
So you are forgetting your A/V history. Not to mention the regular consumer has barely came along to
purchase current 1080 sets. They will be very reluctant to buy another HD set with ZERO CONTENT being STREAMED
on popular sites like Netflix. Or even on Directv or Dish Network. So if it does stay it's gonna be a while before the infrastructure
is prepared for most sheeple to make that leap towards 4k. Even for me a hardcore A/V fan this is premature. And it does stand
that it could easily fail just like 3D has for the Regular Consumers out there.

Consider that the public doesn't care about 4k here's an example of the public. They made MP3's Popular when their a huge step
backwords in Audio Quality from the CD that preceded them. The sheeple go for whatever is easier and cheaper everytime.

Come back in 5 years. Samsung has already stated they will stop making 2K tv's in the future, and all their tv's will be 4K. The rest will follow.
wxman is online now  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:30 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj32581 View Post


Wrong again...about your previous statement:
" In 5 years there will be no 2K tv's being made anymore."
If this held any water then the same would be true about 1080 over 720 or 480
and yet 720 TV's are still being released in 2014 in Fact Samsung has 2 of them new this year.
So you are forgetting your A/V history. Not to mention the regular consumer has barely came along to
purchase current 1080 sets. They will be very reluctant to buy another HD set with ZERO CONTENT being STREAMED
on popular sites like Netflix. Or even on Directv or Dish Network. So if it does stay it's gonna be a while before the infrastructure
is prepared for most sheeple to make that leap towards 4k. Even for me a hardcore A/V fan this is premature. And it does stand
that it could easily fail just like 3D has for the Regular Consumers out there.

Consider that the public doesn't care about 4k here's an example of the public. They made MP3's Popular when their a huge step
backwords in Audio Quality from the CD that preceded them. The sheeple go for whatever is easier and cheaper everytime.

 

Excellent points I agree completely...well have to wait and see what happens

unfortunately these technologies are generally decided by the normal consumers

and not us A/V nuts as we all know. And as such the best decisions are not always made.

aka mp3's perfect example of a huge step backwords in Quality.

AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 255
In 5 years, 8K tv's will be the cutting edge, and 4K will be "old" technology. 5 years is a huge amount of time when it comes to technology.
wxman is online now  
Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post


Come back in 5 years. Samsung has already stated they will stop making 2K tv's in the future, and all their tv's will be 4K. The rest will follow.

The Exact same things were said over 5 years ago on March 10, 2009 by: http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

 

"Eventually, of course, manufacturers will completely phase out 720p TVs. But it may take a few years.

While the number of new 720p models is dwindling, several manufacturers, including Sony, Samsung,

LG, and Panasonic, are putting out entry-level lines in 2009 that feature 720p TVs and we're getting a lot

of readers asking whether they should save some dough and buy them."

 

Now it's 5 years later and were still releasing 720p TV's in 2014 and the majority of programming

for Directv, Dish Network & Cable is 720p with a much smaller percentage of 1080i channels available.

The best indicator of the future is our past. 1080 isn't going anywhere for quite some time regardless

of sales pitches.

 

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,884
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj32581 View Post

That's not true at all, look at what happened to the 720 TV's when 1080 came on the seen as Full HD.
The prices for the 720 TV's are dirt cheap now. I think AlaskaAVGuy is correct in assuming that this
4K gimmick will push down the prices of our 1080 sets. So as stupid as 4k is to most people that
don't sit super close to their TV's or have a need or budget to go over a 85" Screen Size.
This will be great for pushing down the prices of those 1080 TV's. And in my opinion
will fizzle out like 3D will for the Majority of Consumers. Afterall we are the A/V freaks
here on this site, and even I find 4K to be impractical and expensive so what's
that tell you about everyone else out there that could care less...4K will die.

ps: You do realize that it doesn't cost manufactures $1000 to make a 60"
it's a fraction of that when their being mass produced. Their making money
hand over fist because of higher sales volumes at those prices.

it will push down the QUALITY of those TV's, not so much the prices. if you want to buy a $600 1080p 60" today you can, but it's as entry level as you can get. what will disappear is QUALITY 1080p TV's, just like you can't buy a 720p version of an st60 or f8500 now.

manufacturers COULD be making money if all they spent it on was manufacturing. too bad they spend billions brainwashing the public to buy inferior products instead...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 03-22-2014, 04:54 PM
 
aj32581's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

The Exact same things were said over 5 years ago on March 10, 2009 by: http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

"Eventually, of course, manufacturers will completely phase out 720p TVs. But it may take a few years.
While the number of new 720p models is dwindling, several manufacturers, including Sony, Samsung,
LG, and Panasonic, are putting out entry-level lines in 2009 that feature 720p TVs and we're getting a lot
of readers asking whether they should save some dough and buy them."

Now it's 5 years later and were still releasing 720p TV's in 2014 and the majority of programming
for Directv, Dish Network & Cable is 720p with a much smaller percentage of 1080i channels available.
The best indicator of the future is our past. 1080 isn't going anywhere for quite some time regardless
of sales pitches.

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

Ya I agree, couldn't have said it any better.

It's still years away before the average consumers will see this change take place. Basically until a mass
Super Store like Walmart starts selling 4K TV's it's not going anywhere anytime soon. And it stands to
reason that it could fade just like 3D did because of lack of interest in purchasing another HDTV for the
average consumer.

Mostly because 4K doesn't have the infrastructure to support it like AlaskanAVGuy said:
" Directv, Dish Network & Cable is 720p with a much smaller percentage of 1080i channels"
So seeings how were broadcasting the majority of channels in 720p content what are the
odds that we will be seeing 4K broadcast anytime soon......it's gonna be a while, if it survives
at all.
aj32581 is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 255
4K will be just as cheap as 1080p tv's in 2 years. You will be able to buy a 70 inch 4K tv for the same price as current 70 inch 2K tv's. Same with 60 inch tv's.
wxman is online now  
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

In 5 years, 8K tv's will be the cutting edge, and 4K will be "old" technology. 5 years is a huge amount of time when it comes to technology.

Must be great for those that are 20 years old just now.
xvfx is offline  
Old 03-22-2014, 09:34 PM
 
aj32581's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

It's a moot point because with a viewing distance around 10' Feet you just start to notice the benefits of 4K on an 85" screen size,
before you can see a difference to 1080p for someone with 20/20 Vision.

It only looks better in the stores because you literally walk right past them and look at the pixels, and up-close it is much clearer however as you stand back at a real viewing distance, the average human eye cannot see a difference. Unless you are tricking yourself because you have read and listened to all of the Hype and propaganda surrounding the sale of 4k TV's that try and justify their higher Prices for normal screen sizes under 65" which have No real world benefits at proper viewing distances.

"ISF states the the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order):
1) Contrast Ratio, 2) Color Saturation, 3) Color Accuracy, 4) Resolution.
Resolution is 4th on the list and Plasma is generally superior to LCD in all of the other areas (but much more prone to reflections/glare.)
So pick your display size, then measure your seating distance, and use the chart below to figure out if you would benefit from the larger screen size."

Typically 4K will only matter if you decide to go huge with a Projector, as any affordable Plasma's at 1080p do not exceed 85".
I stress affordable.

(Click on Image to Enlarge)
PS: if you have to Enlarge then you obviously already will not be as susceptible
to 4k because your vision is less than 20/20 more than likely.



Thumbs-up if you like the Info smile.gif

My how people forget the past, 5yrs ago we said 720p would be a thing of the past and yet the majority of all
HD content on Satellite & Cable Today is 720p. We still haven't even reached the tipping point of 1080 majority
content yet. This isn't buying a new iphone for a few hundred dollars and 4K isn't nearly as trendy as a new phone.
Stop drinking the Kool-aid from CES as we all know how well their last campaign with 3D TV's went.

We are at a different point now, unlike the days of deciding weather or not to purchase a 720 or 1080 TV,
because you cannot see a difference between 4K & 1080p with a 40" Screen, which is the most popular size
bought today with 59% of all sales. Or for that matter you would need at least an 85" Screen viewed at 10' before
the average human eye with 20/20 could see the differences in resolution.

And that will be the downfall of 4K and all of the Manufactures Hype that you read in all of those Review Sites,
which get paid to do one thing sell TV's. So enjoy paying 3x more for a HDTV which won't have any real majority
content at least a decade, just like were still waiting for 1080 to be the majority of all content currently today.

You can't take another step when the market hasn't even finished with the last or you (4K) will stumble.
aj32581 is offline  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dougofthenorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's just another BS "forced to upgrade" marketing scam being perpetrated on consumers...

First of all 4K is not "TRUE" 4K - it's less than that, more like HD X2 ...remember EHD vs True HD naming?
UHD is a term that has already been assigned to 8K formats/media
Some at least are more correctly & honestly naming it Ultra HD instead of 4K (1080p is not fully 2K either)
Just look at required viewing distances vs actual visual benefit (excepting very large screens) for the average living room

Think of it - all the new TVs, AVRs, disc players & media that's going to be sold
forcing current equipment to be "obsolete"
SD to HD now to "4K", analog to Digital, then HDCP via DVI/HDMI, 3D via HDMI above 1.x
All scams in my eyes

It's not quite like the Beta vs VHS wars or BR vs HD-DVD wars,
but moving from a lesser format to an actual better format seems reasonable.
Vinyl to CD was a downgrade - but there is still hope with Neil young's PONO lossless audio files - if it flies...

Then there is the bit size of an Ultra HD presentation - very large!
Broadcasting or streaming those will require immense bandwidth!

Lastly - cripes it is taking them forever to make a panel that actually presents a proper picture.
I wonder what inherent bugs OLED will present?

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Dougofthenorth is offline  
 

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off