Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11251 of 12514 Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I have a similar affliction, and that's why I had to sell the Kuro due to the location and the brightness of the pixel on green backgrounds. wink.gif Now I have an OLED with two defunct subpixels. mad.gif

Is it really that rare to get a perfect panel these days? I have to admit, it's almost impossible to see with normal content, but now that I know it's there, I can't put it out of my head. Replacement will take until Tuesday, so might try running the WOW pixel flipper for like 12 hours. It flips on and off with a blue background now, so it's not totally dead, seems to get better the longer the TV is on. Can't hurt if I am returning it anyway. But ya, don't want to get a replacement that is worse, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 12514 Old 03-30-2014, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11

Re-asking my questions since we've moved forward a page:

I have a Samsung UN55C6500 and am thinking of getting a PN60F8500 to replace it. The room it's going into is approximately 12' by 12'. It will be mounted above my fireplace, as my current TV is. The center of my current TV is about 6 feet off the ground. There is a ceiling height window/balcony door at one end of the room. The room does not receive direct sunlight at any point during the year. My hope is that I will end up with dramatically improved black levels and general picture quality, as well as gain the ability to watch 3D content.

1. Will I run into any issues with the low vertical viewing angles trying to enjoy this TV from couch height?
  2. Will I find I need to close the blinds during daytime in order to enjoy this TV? I've done this once or twice for my current TV, but that was more to cut down on glare so I could enjoy it from the next room.
  3. Anything else I should be aware of before purchasing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

post #11253 of 12514 Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoz View Post

I have a Samsung UN55C6500 and am thinking of getting a PN60F8500 to replace it. The room it's going into is approximately 12' by 12'. It will be mounted above my fireplace, as my current TV is. The center of my current TV is about 6 feet off the ground. There is a ceiling height window/balcony door at one end of the room. The room does not receive direct sunlight at any point during the year. My hope is that I will end up with dramatically improved black levels and general picture quality, as well as gain the ability to watch 3D content.
  1. Will I run into any issues with the low vertical viewing angles trying to enjoy this TV from couch height?
  2. Will I find I need to close the blinds during daytime in order to enjoy this TV? I've done this once or twice for my current TV, but that was more to cut down on glare so I could enjoy it from the next room.

My 2cents.. I got a Sony 65w850a a day before the F85000. Freaking hated it for viewing angles.. I won't go into all the details, but it sucked anywhere by dead center. This 8500 I got the next day. It's bright as can be. I had a DLP before and it's as bright as it and that Sony LED. I can have all the lights on my basement on high and it's plenty bright without really much glare. I don't have direct sunlight or much of any sunlight in my basement, so can't comment on that, blinds are closed 24x7 in there. For angles, I can watch this time practically sideways or laying on the floor looking almost straight up at it and it's perfect..

I've never seen anything better and in about two days when my little issue is hoping resolved, I'll be back in heaven. I don't think you can go wrong with this TV.
post #11254 of 12514 Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No
No and no
I watch mine in an extremely briht room and it works great even in the calibrated movie mode
Only when the sun streams in directly at sunset do I have to switch it to dynamic mode

I love it
post #11255 of 12514 Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

If you can tilt the tv down toward your viewing spot it will be ok. The f8500 has a very strong anti glare filter. If you look up or down too close the picture can darken a bit. Keep that in mind.
post #11256 of 12514 Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

Yes - HDMI/optical HDMI must support HDMI return
- as sound from apps, internet (youtube etc ) & etc from the F8500, need to be fed to the AVR for HT speakers
OR otherwise can only be heard by using the TV's speakers at a lower SQ
As for speakers being "overridden", you would need to select the F8500 with a separate input on your AVR
- unless AVR is capable of an auto input sensing??

BUT - TV will not provide HD sound formats - maximum 5.1 (as reported here)

I purchased a optical cable today and used optical out from the Samsung to optical port on X-4000. Still no sound when using the apps (Netflix) from the HT system (I do get sound via the TV speakers). I went into the speaker settings on the Samsung and noticed that there is a Receiver option but it is greyed out. Seems like this is the obvious option to choose (choosing external speakers results in no sound). Any idea why the Receiver selection is greyed out?
post #11257 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 AM

no testreport or test setting available eek.gif
No Defect found.
But also the statement that my ISF calibration cost me my garanty?
does anybody know is they can, because it is nothing more than changing the settings?
Just ordered some fresh 1.4a cables to run the tests.

Samsung 51F8500 - Dreambox 7020HD - Onkyo NR TX818 - OPPO 93 - PS3 - EPSON 5910 - KEF 2005 (5.1) QNAP 4 x 2TB
post #11258 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:

1. From couch height, you will be fine with your described setup. Be aware though that the 8500 has a very strong vertical filter. My setup is similar to yours, and with my old Kuro the kids could sit on the floor right under the TV, crane their necks (as kids will do) and see the screen. With the 8500, they need to back up at least half way to the couch to see the screen.
post #11259 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 38
Can anyone point me to were,i can get Demo disc they used at CES...i do not have a burner and/or PC to download it i am on a mac.i do have pc at work though...Like to buy disc prefered! smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #11260 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfan2 View Post

I purchased a optical cable today and used optical out from the Samsung to optical port on X-4000. Still no sound when using the apps (Netflix) from the HT system (I do get sound via the TV speakers). I went into the speaker settings on the Samsung and noticed that there is a Receiver option but it is greyed out. Seems like this is the obvious option to choose (choosing external speakers results in no sound). Any idea why the Receiver selection is greyed out?

Today after doing a 0000 Reset, Receiver was in the listing, despite me using an Optic Cable? Normally, never see it unless I'm connected via the ARC Function. Usually use External Speaker for an Optic Connection.
post #11261 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Can anyone point me to were,i can get Demo disc they used at CES...i do not have a burner and/or PC to download it i am on a mac.i do have pc at work though...Like to buy disc prefered! smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blu-ray-demo-disc
post #11262 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blu-ray-demo-disc
Ty so much ..Now thats the one Sammy was showing on the f8500 video loop? 2014 dts demo disc..smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #11263 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

Too many people make the mistake of putting the tv above a fireplace. Its a pain in the neck, literally. Very bad idea imho. My room is also 12' wide. How high is the TV really going to be? I would not go too high as the anti-glare filter is very aggressive. Get a tilt mount at the very least, and forget anyone sitting on the floor watching the tv with any kind of brightness.
post #11264 of 12514 Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfan2 View Post

Finally figured out my problem. Had to turn the Denon HDMI controller to "ON". No need for an optical cable, only 1 HDMI cable from receiver to tv
post #11265 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Ty so much ..Now thats the one Sammy was showing on the f8500 video loop? 2014 dts demo disc..smile.gif

From what I have seen posted, by others, there may have been (at least) 2 different demo discs
- one was apparently a dedicated SAMSUNG CES 2014 demo disc
They were giving them away only at the Samsung kiosk

I don't think the DTS or THX or others are the actual Samsung one

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11266 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyT View Post

True, but still a pain in the ass to take down, pack up in the box the size of a house and return. I turned on the TV this morning and it's not even flickering now. It's just white again. So pissed off. I think I am calling the store when they open and asking to exchange it. Too much money to spend on a new TV to have problems. I just hope the replacement doesn't have any issues.

I had almost the same thing. I had a 64f8500 that had a stuck red and a stuck blue pixel. It buzzed somewhat. My replacement has ONE flickering pixel. Almost zero buzz. Pixel flipper is making it better. But im right there with you. Im keeping this one. At viewing distances it is absolutely invisible.With the scarcity of these sets im counting myself lucky. As far as im concerned there isnt a perfect panel out there.
post #11267 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Does anyone know if the auto setting in black optimizer uses some kind of light sensor?
post #11268 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakinskye View Post

Does anyone know if the auto setting in black optimizer uses some kind of light sensor?
Such as the one for "Eco Solution"->"Eco Sensor" or if it is dependant of the content displayed or both?
I have wondered that myself.
post #11269 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My brand new pn64f8500 with just over 100 hours powered off by itself today. Paranoid now.... It turned back on after 10 seconds. Any ideas?
post #11270 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post

My brand new pn64f8500 with just over 100 hours powered off by itself today. Paranoid now.... It turned back on after 10 seconds. Any ideas?

Sounds like the power supply maybe going out, perhaps a bad capacitor. Either that, or the firmware getting cranky.

Not making 'em like they used to. Carrying our 6 year old 50" Kuro down to the basement was like carrying a tank, after the mounting the featherweight 64" F8500 to the wall.

Everyone is in a race to the bottom as far as build quality goes. Get used to it.

My own 64F8500 went wonky after less than a month, After a failed attempt to repair it, and then getting run in circles by Samsung for 2 weeks afterwards, they are coming back on Thursday with a new, secret, unreleased Firmware that they will install, thinking that will fix the problem.

I'm pretty sure they they will end up having to replace the whole unit.

Sure glad that I bought the 5-year extended warranty...
post #11271 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 PM

OK... Left this out. I have it plugged into a monster green power surge protector. The green stands for energy savings I think and 5/8 are green and other three aren't. I'm thinking the green outlets are limited on what it can supply a device. Although I've run 60" TVs ...sound bar and sub woofer off of it...64" may use just enough more for it cut out and lose power as the strip is putting out enough volts on " green" outlets. Hell my small subwoofer won't even power on in one of those "green" . I think and hope that's it
post #11272 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Run the firmware update
Should be just a 1 time glitch but keep an eye on it
post #11273 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Oh!
In that case dump anything "green"

That stuff is crap
I use an APC ups with battery backup for my Tv and components
post #11274 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 PM

^ IMHO, that's also good advice.

The "green" could be destabilizing the power supply.

Plasmas are NOT "green". That is not their Tao. They hunger. Be sure to have the TV plugged into something that is not "green".
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #11275 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM

I was wrong about function of surge protector... Only thing different with it is it shuts off other receptacles when main device is idle or off..and my TV was playing a movie when it shut off....did it twice now. God I hope TV isn't faulty... Third one now. These TVs ever not corporate with surge protectors?
post #11276 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I was wrong about function of surge protector... Only thing different with it is it shuts off other receptacles when main device is idle or off..and my TV was playing a movie when it shut off....did it twice now. God I hope TV isn't faulty... Third one now. These TVs ever not corporate with surge protectors?

Temporally plug it into the wall outlet, make sure it isn't on a dimmer outlet and check your eco settings and auto off.

post #11277 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Eco settings and auto are all off
post #11278 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 PM

This is getting WAY beyond my knowledge, and into pure speculation, so it should be treated as such, but...

I can easily imagine that if a surge protector was starving a plasma panel for voltage or current, some strange effects like you describe could result.

Please take no offense, but Monster products are mostly garbage. Monster these days is a marketing company, not an engineering company. They exist to market garbage profitably.

I actually have MY 64F8500 fed through a Monster home theater power distribution center and surge protector. But it's old unit (turn of the century), and it is much better than what they market these days, but I do worry whether it still provides good surge protection after all this time.

Probably a good idea for both you, and I, to go looking for quality line filtering and surge protection, that is not from Monster.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #11279 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 PM

Would having auto update on cause this issue?
post #11280 of 12514 Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Would having auto update on cause this issue?

I do not have mine on

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page