Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 394 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11791 of 12514 Old 05-16-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2189 View Post

I have a 3rd F8500 on the way this Monday, hopefully it doesn't buzz but I highly doubt it. If it does buzz I'm probably just going to keep it and learn to live with it. I honestly can't stand the new LED TV's edge lighting.
If the buzz is so distracting that it interferes with your viewing, I do not think that is something you should live with unless the noise is able to fade away into the TV sound that you forget about it.
Quote:

Eric3316, what TV do you have/think is the best to get right now and to keep for the near future?
Like Vinnie said, I own a 65VT60. The best TV for pq right now is probably the F8500. I personally would not buy another edge lit TV. I owned a Samsung es7500 and while it was probably one of the best TV's I have seen for flashlighting and clouding, it was still there and that was something I could not get over even though it only effected dark room viewing and when the screen was nearly all black. It was fine with most content on it.

Right now there is a lot of eyes waiting to see the Vizio P series. A 4K FALD TV at an affordable price is something to get excited about. It won't have 3D if that is your thing though. You could also get a larger size if you want probably for the same price as you paid for your F8500.

Will the Vizio have a better picture. Maybe but probably not. Will it have a very good picture. It very well can. Their M series is releasing now. It is their 1080p FALD TV and that would be a good base to see how the P series will perform. The M series has only 32 zones compared to the P series at 64. So if the M series performs well, the P series will perform even better.

This is only something to consider if the buzz is something you cannot live with because their is zero things wrong with the pq of the F8500. The picture and all the features of that TV are stunning.

My new toy, is a 1080p projector and a 100" screen. Cheaper then any one of these TV's and there is no flashlighting and clouding! Although, the fans can be loud but they just fade off into the background where it does not really bother you after a little bit. But trust me, you can hear it but it in no way ruins my viewing experience. It is all about what you can get over and what will eat at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The issue is the local dimming makes all the difference. Really without it, the sets "usually" are just like any edge lit TV.
Odds are, overall, I bet the PN64F8500 will be better........
I would tend to agree with this, but if Vizio can get to even 90% of what the F8500 offers I think it will still be a great buy for a 4K TV without flashlighting and clouding, plus no buzzing. If it can get closer then 90% then it will be even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 12514 Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

I have a 3rd F8500 on the way this Monday, hopefully it doesn't buzz but I highly doubt it. If it does buzz I'm probably just going to keep it and learn to live with it. I honestly can't stand the new LED TV's edge lighting.

There are a good handful of FALD LCDs coming out this year. Check out the LCD forum. If you can't get past the buzz one of those might be your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11793 of 12514 Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Stereodude already gave him 3 models to investigate. wink.gif
post #11794 of 12514 Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

There are a good handful of FALD LCDs coming out this year. Check out the LCD forum. If you can't get past the buzz one of those might be your best option.

I would say one that is affordable (or should I say more affordable as that term varies with every person), and others that might be out of reach for many.

Of course we would expect those higher dollar ones to perform better but definitely at a premium price.
post #11795 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just had a 75 inch Mits Lasarvue die and am out for a new tv. Looking at the samsung 8500 64 inch plasma and the sharp 70 inch 4k. I like the picture on the samsung but the size of the sharp and I am a little uncertain if watching fox news and fox business with some banner info on the bottom would be a real problem with the samsung. Also the discontinuance of plasma in the market makes me a little leery. My mits could not be repaired due to mits dropping tvs all together and not parts available. The sharp 4k is a little early in the 4k design phase we will see occur over the next few years so also is a bit iffy.
Any thoughts on which is a safer bet? Also for low light scenes would the sharp be adequate or is it advisable to go to the samsung plasma?

Bill Shenefelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11796 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I wouldn't buy a 4k TV for 4k content now. Many are missing some of the features (HDMI 2.0, HVEC, 60 FPS etc). If you choose a 4k TV it would mainly be used for 1080p anyways since the availability of 4k content is limited right now. What good is a 4k set if you don't have the source material to show off that 4k content? wink.gif

How long do you watch the fox channels? You can use pixel orbiter and other methods to lessen IR as well as varying the content you watch. The parts for the plasma should be available for ~7 years or so.

"Adequate" is a relative term, the only one who could answer is it adequate is you wink.gif "Safer" what if sharp goes out of the TV business next year? You'd be SOL..While the parts will become harder to find there are a number of resources for Samsung parts on the internet. DLP has been dead for quite some time and I'm sure the part shortage has to do with that as well as Mitsu getting out of the business. In reality I don't see either Sharp or Samsung leaving the TV market anytime soon.

My best advise is to see both in person and decide which you prefer. You'll be spending the money and watching it for the next few years at least.

post #11797 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 804
size, yes, it's unfortunate you have to take a hit to get plasma

IR, while I make NO guarantees and I will not help you if something goes wrong, I've been using my f8500 as my computer monitor, along with gaming, scope movies, and all the usual stuff for over a year now with no problems. after a few hours, there can be some minor IR that is invisible from viewing distance with normal content, but it always goes away quickly.

being discontinued, would you buy another mits dlp if you could? well they were discontinued too... it being discontinued is no indication whatsoever on quality or reliability. it's simply an affect of the market not willing to support high end displays, and high end is where plasmas actually stood out.

there is zero chance I would ever consider a sharp for my main display, I'm very much against edgelit LED's, so far I would rank them as the worst display tech I've ever owned, far worse than crt, far worse than plasma, far worse than dlp, and I've actually returned two of them to get CCFL backlit lcd's instead, as they are actually better imo. not to say led backlights CAN'T work, just that nobody has actually used them correctly in a long time.

anyway, my point I'm getting to, if 64inches is too small, consider front projection. for less money than that 70" sharp, you could get a GOOD image out of a projector, and 70" will be tiny by comparison.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #11798 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

size, yes, it's unfortunate you have to take a hit to get plasma

anyway, my point I'm getting to, if 64inches is too small, consider front projection. for less money than that 70" sharp, you could get a GOOD image out of a projector, and 70" will be tiny by comparison.

Thanks. I do have a Epson front projector that is real nice. The screen pulls down just in front of the TV. Great for blue ray and other good movies especially 3d ones but a pain for every day tv viewing. I think the 4k might act as a substitute for movies as well as those on the tv. The plasma is a little small (remember dropping from a 75 inch to a 64 inch) but I think I could get used to it. Just feels funny when I look at the 75 masked to 64 inches. I doubt I would use it for blue rays or new movies though but might use a 70 inch 4k on upscale mode for some of my blue rays that are not 3d

Bill Shenefelt

post #11799 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Imo u have a Projector ..Then Yes go for f8500 why you can.. if u did not then yes i would say Projector....i have 64" No problems IR ? If i do whith in few min gone..That said enter at own risk.. f8500 vs sharp and loss of Inches no brainer.... my grandpa has 70" sharp and i Hate when we go there for football ewwwww but his eyes r bad..My next purchase a Projector or OLED...GL smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #11800 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post

Thanks. I do have a Epson front projector that is real nice. The screen pulls down just in front of the TV. Great for blue ray and other good movies especially 3d ones but a pain for every day tv viewing. I think the 4k might act as a substitute for movies as well as those on the tv. The plasma is a little small (remember dropping from a 75 inch to a 64 inch) but I think I could get used to it. Just feels funny when I look at the 75 masked to 64 inches. I doubt I would use it for blue rays or new movies though but might use a 70 inch 4k on upscale mode for some of my blue rays that are not 3d
I am going to go out on a limb here and say a blu ray on an F8500 will look better then any edge lit 4K TV upscaling a 1080p blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Imo u have a Projector ..Then Yes go for f8500 why you can.. if u did not then yes i would say Projector....i have 64" No problems IR ? If i do whith in few min gone..That said enter at own risk.. f8500 vs sharp and loss of Inches no brainer.... my grandpa has 70" sharp and i Hate when we go there for football ewwwww but his eyes r bad..My next purchase a Projector or OLED...GL smile.gif
Projector or OLED? That should not even be a consideration. You can get a decent projector for so cheap. What you should be saying is you will be purchasing a projector soon and then eventually an OLED when you or the actual tech is truly ready.
post #11801 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I got rid of my 2 year old 70 inch Sharp and got the 64 inch F8500. My brief experiment with LED has ended. Terrible tv. Clouding, poor blacks, motion blur and poor viewing angles. The tv actually was back lit and not edge lit, and it still was crap.
post #11802 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Well, If OLed Does not come down when im ready then, The "OR" will Be Projector.....smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #11803 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 PM

Liked: 10

Just ordered my PN648500 from BB and waiting for it to come in next week. First TV purchase in over 10 years. (Have a 50 Inch Samsung DLP that is still going strong but I'm moving into a new place and decided it was time to upgrade.) Have heard and read some great insight and experiences from this forum and looking forward to joining in on the fun. Any quick thoughts or advice as I wait for the TV to arrive?

post #11804 of 12514 Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:

I could see this go one of two ways then, you take your pick of what you think applies to you more.

1. the f8500 is the obvious choice, it will give you SO MUCH better picture quality, and who cares about the size since they are both 'tiny' compared to the projector.
2. the sharp is the obvious choice, since you'll be using the projector for any serious viewing anyway, the poor pq won't really matter anyway.

for what it's worth, I run the f8500 behind my 120" screen. I sit about 12feet back from the screen, so slightly more from the tv. it's definitely not a 'theater' experience, but it's not small either. for watching tv shows, the news, etc it's totally fine. if I'm ever wanting something bigger, I roll the screen down and turn on the projector. I have a feeling I would do that just as often with a 70" screen as the 64" screen. but what I don't have to do, is worry about the quality of the f8500.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #11805 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 AM

In general I am reading that for a good picture the 8500 is simply the way to go. I did mask my 75 mits on the bottom and sides to display 64 inch screen. I could get used to it so that is no longer a deciding factor. My only remaining concerns are:
1) will watching fox news and business for a few hours cause any permanent burn in or IR on the screen due to the bottom banners and
2) I would guess that the repair if needed would be as probable for parts as an "oddball" 4k Quatro with extra yellow pixels on the sharp. At least the Samsung has the thing on the back for upgrades and a firmware download update function.

Couple those with the $1000 difference in price and I guess it will be the plasma. In stores the bowed screen 64 inch Samsung looked pretty nice too though. Still it is an led though. Maybe actually better than spending the extra grand for the 4k sharp with up-convert.
I took out an American Express card to allow me to get a second year warranty equal to Samsung's first year and will probably buy a 4 year square trade warranty for about $300 to cover me for years 3 and 4. Most places want about $600+ for a 4 or 5 year warranty. It would also cover year 2 but any repairs would eat away on the repair max cost and they could be done on the American Express part.
I am going to go to the Home Theater equipment store I am buying from and they are going to put some "off the air (cable)" as well as some blue ray I'm taking along on the Samsung and on the Sharp to let me see what things really look like not what a canned overblown display looks like. I am not sure if I will really miss the initial picture quality I got on the lasarvue. Colors for me were right on and not hyped at all or off color on flesh tones. They still are but the picture is really washed out now. No contrast on most especially if there is a brighter scene. I'm not convinced it is not dust scattering white on the screen but if I spend more on it and even if it turns out that it is just dust, this is my only chance to get out of the non reparable unit with minimizing my loss.

Thanks for the help from all. I will post what I do and how it works out.

Bill Shenefelt

post #11806 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 AM

Color me goofy but I just went for the Sony XBR65X900A 65 inch 4k set. Picture pretty good on up-scaled hd to 4k. Also some real good support items like updating to usb2, as well as other Sony benefits. I won't be able to compare it at home with the plasma but in the store, regular tv and blue rays were close to that of the plasma. I watch Fox news and
Fox Business a lot and was afraid of burn in of images on the plasma. Maybe I'm looking to far forward, but I think I will be happy. I will update with my Sony picture quality observations after I get it calibrated late this week or early next week.

Bill Shenefelt

post #11807 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Color me goofy but I just went for the Sony XBR65X900A 65 inch 4k set. Picture pretty good on up-scaled hd to 4k. Also some real good support items like updating to usb2, as well as other Sony benefits. I won't be able to compare it at home with the plasma but in the store, regular tv and blue rays were close to that of the plasma. I watch Fox news and
Fox Business a lot and was afraid of burn in of images on the plasma. Maybe I'm looking to far forward, but I think I will be happy. I will update with my Sony picture quality observations after I get it calibrated late this week or early next week.

Congratulations on your new display.

Everyone will have differing opinions on which display is better than the next, but truth be told, there are no perfect displays, and tradeoffs will be made.

In the end, the one that looks best to you matters more than what someone else likes.

Enjoy.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #11808 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Congratulations on your new display.

Everyone will have differing opinions on which display is better than the next, but truth be told, there are no perfect displays, and tradeoffs will be made.

In the end, the one that looks best to you matters more than what someone else likes.

Enjoy.
You have to remember though. People come here because they want our opinions and ask for them. Obviously the buyer is going to have final say but if he didn't care what others thought or had to say then he wouldn't be here asking.

It is always good to due your due diligence and make a smarter choice for what is right for your situation and requirements.
post #11809 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Exactly right, and that's what it appears Mr. Shenefelt did.

He gathered opinion and data, and ultimately made his opinion on what he saw, which is why I congratulated him on his purchase, and told him to enjoy his new display.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #11810 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Exactly right, and that's what it appears Mr. Shenefelt did.

He gathered opinion and data, and ultimately made his opinion on what he saw, which is why I congratulated him on his purchase, and told him to enjoy his new display.
Yup, I wasn't disagreeing with you.
post #11811 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 04:07 PM

This is my first post, but I have been lurking here for a while.  After researching and reading many, many pages of the thread, I finally took the plunge and bought a 64F8500 from BB - my local store happened to have the only one in stock around.  I have been running slides for about a week when not watching to break it in and shake out any problems.

First I would I like to thank all those that contribute here, you have been a big help in my decision.

I have one comment and one question.  

1) Comment on buzzing.  I was concerned about this after reading posts and happened to noticed the TV buzzed while the slides were running.  My experience has been the buzzing is the worst on the full white (slide01), reduces on grey slides 02 & 03 and is not noticeable by grey slide04.  I find it not noticeable on any of the RGB slides and I have not noticed any buzz during normal viewing.  Of course I work in manufacturing and didnt always wear my hearing protection when younger, so maybe I cant hear as good as some others.

2) My question relates to a dead pixel, or subpixel.  It looks like I have a dead green subpixel about 6" right of center on the screen.  It looks black on the green slides, red on the white/grey slides and is not noticeable on the red & blue slides.   I occasionally notice it when watching normal content if the pixel is on a white/yellow background.

I have been considering exchanging for another it @ BB before my 15 days runs out on Fri (they will need to ship in another) but I am concerned I am going to get a panel that may have more dead ones.  Once the replacement arrives, it will be past my 15day return/exchange period so I would probably need to have them check it in the store.  It is also not exactly a small TV to move.

On one hand it seems that it may not be noticeable *most* of the time, on the other hand I paid $3100 for a TV and don't like the idea of having a dead pixel.  I dont have dead/stuck pixels on any of my PC/phone screens that I have today and spent a lot less on them.

What is "normal", and is this something I should be worried about?  

Thanks

post #11812 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey so no one really answered my question before. Can someone who has had the pn51f8500 for a few months and has had buzzing in the beginning, does the buzzing diminish after a while?
post #11813 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Ok I got a cinema quest bias light any tips on were to place it on top or bottom.. like pic 1 or 2....ty

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #11814 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a PN60F8500 from Abe's of Maine. I am upgrading from a Panasonic TH-58PZ800U in my home theater right now. Hopefully I see a huge difference!

Are you enjoying the new PN60F8500...?

How does it compare to your older Panny...?

I'm like a beaver...
A hot little beaver...
post #11815 of 12514 Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rimfire View Post

This is my first post, but I have been lurking here for a while.  After researching and reading many, many pages of the thread, I finally took the plunge and bought a 64F8500 from BB - my local store happened to have the only one in stock around.  I have been running slides for about a week when not watching to break it in and shake out any problems.

First I would I like to thank all those that contribute here, you have been a big help in my decision.

I have one comment and one question.  
1) Comment on buzzing.  I was concerned about this after reading posts and happened to noticed the TV buzzed while the slides were running.  My experience has been the buzzing is the worst on the full white (slide01), reduces on grey slides 02 & 03 and is not noticeable by grey slide04.  I find it not noticeable on any of the RGB slides and I have not noticed any buzz during normal viewing.  Of course I work in manufacturing and didnt always wear my hearing protection when younger, so maybe I cant hear as good as some others.

2) My question relates to a dead pixel, or subpixel.  It looks like I have a dead green subpixel about 6" right of center on the screen.  It looks black on the green slides, red on the white/grey slides and is not noticeable on the red & blue slides.   I occasionally notice it when watching normal content if the pixel is on a white/yellow background.

I have been considering exchanging for another it @ BB before my 15 days runs out on Fri (they will need to ship in another) but I am concerned I am going to get a panel that may have more dead ones.  Once the replacement arrives, it will be past my 15day return/exchange period so I would probably need to have them check it in the store.  It is also not exactly a small TV to move.

On one hand it seems that it may not be noticeable *most* of the time, on the other hand I paid $3100 for a TV and don't like the idea of having a dead pixel.  I dont have dead/stuck pixels on any of my PC/phone screens that I have today and spent a lot less on them.

What is "normal", and is this something I should be worried about?  

Thanks

I have 3 stuck pixels on mine. Had them from day 1. Got it from BB. I also bought the 2 yr warranty, which covers stuck pixels and IR. Right now it does not bother me too much. But who knows, in a few years it may, and they will have to honor the warranty.
post #11816 of 12514 Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro_Stormy View Post

Are you enjoying the new PN60F8500...?

How does it compare to your older Panny...?

It's not actually arriving until tomorrow. Awesome freight shipping!
post #11817 of 12514 Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I have 3 stuck pixels on mine. Had them from day 1. Got it from BB. I also bought the 2 yr warranty, which covers stuck pixels and IR. Right now it does not bother me too much. But who knows, in a few years it may, and they will have to honor the warranty.
And they'll be happy to replace it with a nice edgelight LCD set. tongue.gif
post #11818 of 12514 Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

And they'll be happy to replace it with a nice edgelight LCD set. tongue.gif

Or give me a big discount on an OLED!
post #11819 of 12514 Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey so no one really answered my question before. Can someone who has had the pn51f8500 for a few months and has had buzzing in the beginning, does the buzzing diminish after a while?

Someone help!

post #11820 of 12514 Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Someone help!

There is no real answer. It could be yes it could be no. As said before it's hard to say anything with certainty as there are way too many variables involved.
Variables include but are not limited to:
User sensitivity
Environment/placement
TV itself
Where the buzz is occurring
Etc etc etc etc

In some cases buzz has diminished, in others it hasn't.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page