Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 397 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11881 of 12291 Old 05-24-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I'd consider the LED if it were significantly cheaper, and I knew I would never be watching anything in a dark room, or from a wide angle. motion on LCD really doesn't bother me, not sure why.

but if you put the f8500 right beside the f8000, they look surprisingly similar under the bright showroom floor lights. there's virtually no benefit to the f8000 in a bright room, and plenty of benefit to the f8500 in the dark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 12291 Old 05-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for that, I guess the thing that has me torn is I Love the thinnest of the led and the potential buzzing of the plasma. I have a Samsung 50" DLP now and I've always enjoyed the picture quality as I've never really did any calibration on it. I'm not a videophile but obviously if I'm planning on shelling out the cash on a new I really want a great picture
post #11883 of 12291 Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnolen0319 View Post

Thank you for that, I guess the thing that has me torn is I Love the thinnest of the led and the potential buzzing of the plasma. I have a Samsung 50" DLP now and I've always enjoyed the picture quality as I've never really did any calibration on it. I'm not a videophile but obviously if I'm planning on shelling out the cash on a new I really want a great picture

Set Eco mode to low and the buzz virtually disappears. If there is any noise you only hear it with a muted tv, and would have to be close. The PQ easily out weighs a potential buzz.
post #11884 of 12291 Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

I have no first hand knowledge on the subject, but I have seen Abe's of Maine mentioned several times in this thread. For example: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1241299/abes-of-maine-legit/0_100#post_24699579

BEWARE!!! I almost got {blanked} by Abe's...........know the old saing, it's true, "f it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!" They are expertly trained at "BAIT & Switch"....drew me in with LOWest price on a 8500 I'd seen, actually attempted to buy, then got a call from "David" who told me that the one I ordered was not the USA Model and to get the "right" one was XXXX amount more....on and on...............etter check the BBB and you will see LOTS of others getting same sneaky treatments. Thank GOD, I got out of the deal!
post #11885 of 12291 Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
FIERCE-GT..............THANKS for the GOOD tips!!! I am using a Pioneer 1019 K AVR which is outdated HDMI 1.3............HATE to have to upgrade my AVR again to get 1.4!
post #11886 of 12291 Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

BEWARE!!! I almost got {blanked} by Abe's...........know the old saing, it's true, "f it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!" They are expertly trained at "BAIT & Switch"....drew me in with LOWest price on a 8500 I'd seen, actually attempted to buy, then got a call from "David" who told me that the one I ordered was not the USA Model and to get the "right" one was XXXX amount more....on and on...............etter check the BBB and you will see LOTS of others getting same sneaky treatments. Thank GOD, I got out of the deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

FIERCE-GT..............THANKS for the GOOD tips!!! I am using a Pioneer 1019 K AVR which is outdated HDMI 1.3............HATE to have to upgrade my AVR again to get 1.4!
Thanks for the heads up, it's really strange because they have the most reviews on Google shopping
post #11887 of 12291 Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

those may be valid concerns. have you had issues personally with plasma buzzing before? it seems to be something that bothers some ppl and not others. i really don't believe there's a big difference between units, not big enough to explain why some owners hear nothing, and others can't stand it.

the 'thinness' is totally up to you. i prefer my TV's look their best when turned on though tongue.gif

the last thing I'd point out for consideration is the state of each technology. they will not make a plasma better than the f8500 again. fact. so if you don't buy it now, there will not be something better next year, and there may not be any f8500's either. the f8000 has probably already been surpassed by something, that will be surpassed by another model, and so on. so if you buy the f8000 now and decide you want a plasma, you may be SOL before you know it. but if you buy the f8500 now and find out you hear buzzing, it's a simply fix of exchanging it for the f8000, or whatever replaced it. if you have any doubts whatsoever, try the f8500 first, while you still can. even if you keep it passed the return window, it'll be a much easier sell in a year or two. look how well the kuro's and panny's are still selling compared to a lnxxd8000, haha
jnolen0319 likes this.
post #11888 of 12291 Old 05-25-2014, 04:40 PM

No I have never owned a plasma before just seem to be some people having issues with the plasma and others that say they don't hardly hear it at all. As far as your reasoning on buying the plasma and exchanging if I'm not happy and then going with the led makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice!
post #11889 of 12291 Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

those may be valid concerns. have you had issues personally with plasma buzzing before? it seems to be something that bothers some ppl and not others. i really don't believe there's a big difference between units, not big enough to explain why some owners hear nothing, and others can't stand it.

the 'thinness' is totally up to you. i prefer my TV's look their best when turned on though tongue.gif

the last thing I'd point out for consideration is the state of each technology. they will not make a plasma better than the f8500 again. fact. so if you don't buy it now, there will not be something better next year, and there may not be any f8500's either. the f8000 has probably already been surpassed by something, that will be surpassed by another model, and so on. so if you buy the f8000 now and decide you want a plasma, you may be SOL before you know it. but if you buy the f8500 now and find out you hear buzzing, it's a simply fix of exchanging it for the f8000, or whatever replaced it. if you have any doubts whatsoever, try the f8500 first, while you still can. even if you keep it passed the return window, it'll be a much easier sell in a year or two. look how well the kuro's and panny's are still selling compared to a lnxxd8000, haha
No I have never owned a plasma before just seem to be some people having issues with the plasma and others that say they don't hardly hear it at all. As far as your reasoning on buying the plasma and exchanging if I'm not happy and then going with the led makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice!
post #11890 of 12291 Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

personally, I've never had an issue with the buzzing, but i fully understand how it COULD bother some. i can hear an offensive amount of buzzing if i do some unusual things, like face away from the tv, or cup my hands around my ears. sometimes even putting my hands behind my head(it seems like my arms are capturing and directing that buzz towards my ears, haha).

i do think it's something you need to find out for yourself though. if it doesn't bother you, you will absolutely love the f8500. so i totally think it's worth trying as long as you get a decent return policy.

while not exactly the same, i find the plasma buzz to be similar to buzzing emitted by dimmer switches, and light bulbs. it's pretty subtle to most ppl, and easily covered up by ambient noise if there is any. it's literally not possible to hear mine buzz when the a/c kicks in(central air too, so it's not a really loud unit).
post #11891 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I'd consider the LED if it were significantly cheaper, and I knew I would never be watching anything in a dark room, or from a wide angle. motion on LCD really doesn't bother me, not sure why.

but if you put the f8500 right beside the f8000, they look surprisingly similar under the bright showroom floor lights. there's virtually no benefit to the f8000 in a bright room, and plenty of benefit to the f8500 in the dark
After time, it would still become more apparent that the plasma should have been bought.
post #11892 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I am debating between the F8500 plasma and the F8000 LED. I am building a new house and will have an open living room/kitchen area with several windows on the left side of the house. I will be mounting the TV above the gas fireplace. I'm looking at prices online and Abe's of Maine have both TV's in the 60in version and they are very similar in price with the led being about $60 cheaper. I mainly watch football and reality TV with occasional movies and gaming. Any advice would be appreciated as I plan on having this TV as my main unit for at least 5-7 years until oled are down to normal prices. Thanks in advance!

Check the Samsung f8500 thread on the Plasma Great Found Deals forum.
post #11893 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

Could you point me in that direction? I'm also new to the forum
post #11894 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

Could you point me in that direction? I'm also new to the forum

It's at the top of this forum...you'll see the thread once in that subsection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11895 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 AM

Liked: 20
Hi guys. New 60" F8500 owner here. Got the TV about 2 weeks ago from PaulsTV with a 5 year extended service plan. Have some questions and some suggestions.

I only have 1 question really. When I put my tv in Movie, Dynamic or Relaxed mode, everything is fine. But when I put it in standard mode, something very strange happens. After putting it in standard picture mode, my tv starts to lose brightness slowly (starts getting dimmer and dimmer) until the picture is virtually invisible. The whole process takes about 1 minute from putting it on standard pic mode. Anyone know whats up? I have tried rebooting it, firmware update, you name it. Happens every time.

And here is the suggestion. HOW TO FIX THE BUZZING (my tv is on its stand, not wall mounted, so YMMV)

Buzzing! My tv had the loudest buzz I had ever heard. I could even hear it with the volume up to a comfortable hearing level. So after putting up with it for a week, I went to the back of the tv to try and see where it was coming from and to see if I could cover it with something to mask the sound.

I realized that the buzzing was coming from the top center of the tv on the back side where the large vent is. I put my hand on it to see if it would mask the noise and something strange happened. when I pushed on the tv very lightly from the middle of the vent, the loud buzzing disappeared. When I took my hand off the buzzing returned. I repeated this like 4 time to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and sure enough it wasn't.

So I pushed onto the center of the large vent on the back of the tv hard enough to almost tilt the tv forward, buzzing went away, I slowly backed off my hand and it stayed quiet. Its been 1 week since I have done this and my tv is still ultra quiet even when its on full mute and its quiet as hell in the room.

Hope this helps some of you.
aypues likes this.
post #11896 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCj View Post

Hi guys. New 60" F8500 owner here. Got the TV about 2 weeks ago from PaulsTV with a 5 year extended service plan. Have some questions and some suggestions.

I only have 1 question really. When I put my tv in Movie, Dynamic or Relaxed mode, everything is fine. But when I put it in standard mode, something very strange happens. After putting it in standard picture mode, my tv starts to lose brightness slowly (starts getting dimmer and dimmer) until the picture is virtually invisible. The whole process takes about 1 minute from putting it on standard pic mode. Anyone know whats up? I have tried rebooting it, firmware update, you name it. Happens every time.

And here is the suggestion. HOW TO FIX THE BUZZING (my tv is on its stand, not wall mounted, so YMMV)

Buzzing! My tv had the loudest buzz I had ever heard. I could even hear it with the volume up to a comfortable hearing level. So after putting up with it for a week, I went to the back of the tv to try and see where it was coming from and to see if I could cover it with something to mask the sound.

I realized that the buzzing was coming from the top center of the tv on the back side where the large vent is. I put my hand on it to see if it would mask the noise and something strange happened. when I pushed on the tv very lightly from the middle of the vent, the loud buzzing disappeared. When I took my hand off the buzzing returned. I repeated this like 4 time to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and sure enough it wasn't.

So I pushed onto the center of the large vent on the back of the tv hard enough to almost tilt the tv forward, buzzing went away, I slowly backed off my hand and it stayed quiet. Its been 1 week since I have done this and my tv is still ultra quiet even when its on full mute and its quiet as hell in the room.

Hope this helps some of you.

Does it happen on every device you have attached when switching to standard mode? If it does, then there is something wrong with the tv, and I would get it replaced, especially since you did a reboot. By reboot do you mean factory reset?

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #11897 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 02:20 PM

I only have a denon av receiver plugged in. So that's the only source I have to the tv. But it also does it while i have the menu open. So if in in the menu changing the pic setting to standard, and leave the menu open, it starts to dim on me, menu and all.

By reboot I meant unplugging the tv and pluging it back in.
post #11898 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM

Liked: 37
Try it after turning Eco settings off smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #11899 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 PM

its off, never had it on
post #11900 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I only have a denon av receiver plugged in. So that's the only source I have to the tv. But it also does it while i have the menu open. So if in in the menu changing the pic setting to standard, and leave the menu open, it starts to dim on me, menu and all.

By reboot I meant unplugging the tv and pluging it back in.

Try a factory reset. All your setting will be lost, so write them down before the reset.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/2460#post_24101072
Damien Inferno likes this.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #11901 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 05:19 PM

oops, my bad. Eco sensor was set to ON (I have the 2014 Evolution kit installed so I don't have low or high setting, it just has on or off)

Turning it off fixed the screen going dim on standard setting.

Does this mean I have a defective light sensor?
post #11902 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Try a factory reset. All your setting will be lost, so write them down before the reset.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/2460#post_24101072

I have a 2014 evo (SEK-2000) kit installed, should I remove the eve kit and revert the tv back to its original firmware before doing this?
post #11903 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

oops, my bad. Eco sensor was set to ON (I have the 2014 Evolution kit installed so I don't have low or high setting, it just has on or off)

Turning it off fixed the screen going dim on standard setting.

Does this mean I have a defective light sensor?

No it means the Eco sensor was dough it's job smile.gif. It will automatically adjust screen brightness due to environmental light and I believe what's on the screen.

post #11904 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a 2014 evo (SEK-2000) kit installed, should I remove the eve kit and revert the tv back to its original firmware before doing this?

That I do not know. Was the tv having issues before you installed the new evo kit? If not, then perhaps it is the new kit. I would think if you did a reset, you would leave the new kit in. I would give Samsung a call first and they should be able to tell you what to do.

post #11905 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

No it means the Eco sensor was dough it's job smile.gif. It will automatically adjust screen brightness due to environmental light and I believe what's on the screen.

No, you don't understand, it dims the screen until its almost fully black. Thats not normal.
post #11906 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:

That I do not know. Was the tv having issues before you installed the new evo kit? If not, then perhaps it is the new kit. I would think if you did a reset, you would leave the new kit in. I would give Samsung a call first and they should be able to tell you what to do.

IT was doing it before and after the evo kit.
post #11907 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 10:56 PM

Liked: 12

Have any of you guys have any problems with vertical DSE (dirty screen effect) / vertical banding on your 8500s?  I've been trying to "tolerate" the vertical DSE on my 64 inch and it's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to put in a service call to Samsung.  Pretty much any type of horizontal pans bring out some pretty nasty DSE on my screen, to where it pretty much looks like the entire screen is covered in filth.  Over the last two months, I haven't had the time to watch much TV, so it's only been mildly annoying during movie viewing.  However, after playing some WiiU tonight that involved a lot of camera panning, I've concluded that it's absolutely unacceptable to have to tolerate this issue.  I don't even want to imagine how bad it'd be if I watched hockey on a regular basis.  A couple of YouTube test patterns expose the issue to the point where I'm pretty sure a tech would conclude that it's NOT normal.  And if a tech tries to tell me otherwise, I'll gladly show him my 51 inch 8500 in my bedroom that doesn't exhibit this issue at all :)

post #11908 of 12291 Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfajl77 View Post

Have any of you guys have any problems with vertical DSE (dirty screen effect) / vertical banding on your 8500s?  I've been trying to "tolerate" the vertical DSE on my 64 inch and it's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to put in a service call to Samsung.  Pretty much any type of horizontal pans bring out some pretty nasty DSE on my screen, to where it pretty much looks like the entire screen is covered in filth.  Over the last two months, I haven't had the time to watch much TV, so it's only been mildly annoying during movie viewing.  However, after playing some WiiU tonight that involved a lot of camera panning, I've concluded that it's absolutely unacceptable to have to tolerate this issue.  I don't even want to imagine how bad it'd be if I watched hockey on a regular basis.  A couple of YouTube test patterns expose the issue to the point where I'm pretty sure a tech would conclude that it's NOT normal.  And if a tech tries to tell me otherwise, I'll gladly show him my 51 inch 8500 in my bedroom that doesn't exhibit this issue at all smile.gif

I do have some DSE on my 64, but not as bad as my Pioneer 5020. I can see it during hockey games, but it is pretty mild. One issue with larger screens is that DSE will be more visible simply because the screen can not get as bright as the smaller screens. Even with the good ABL on the Samsung, the larger the screen, the more issues with ABL. Have you tried cranking up the cell light? I have mine set to 20 all the time, and the DSE is not too bad. Even so, your 64 should not be that bad. Definitely give them a call.

post #11909 of 12291 Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I do have some DSE on my 64, but not as bad as my Pioneer 5020. I can see it during hockey games, but it is pretty mild. One issue with larger screens is that DSE will be more visible simply because the screen can not get as bright as the smaller screens. Even with the good ABL on the Samsung, the larger the screen, the more issues with ABL. Have you tried cranking up the cell light? I have mine set to 20 all the time, and the DSE is not too bad. Even so, your 64 should not be that bad. Definitely give them a call.

My TV has DSE as well (60" model) and it's mostly fine for movies (unless it's a bright scene) but a lot more noticeable on hockey. Seems to be spaced about 4 or 5 inches apart. It's not something that is driving me nuts but it kind of sucks. :/

I suppose there's probably a very high chance that a replacement of the same size would have it as well?
post #11910 of 12291 Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 AM

People actually watch hockey??????? (sorry, couldn't resist! biggrin.gif )
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page