Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

I just wanted to thank those who commented about my calibration concerns. I understand the logic, although I would be a customer that would like the ability to make modifications to anything that is not located in the service menu. I know depending on the calibrator and the equipment used, results do vary, and like any other technology, there is room for improvement.

I'm also a strong believer that competition will force manufacturers to provide sets much closer to a calibrated state then they are now. Panasonic's THX may have been the first volley, but you can bet there will be much more to come. No customer wants to turn on a new tv and see a distorted picture. The industry is way too competitive for that to continue much longer. Customers don't like it at all...at least this customer doesn't, that's for sure!

That's just my take on the issue...no offense to anyone in the professional calibration industry, i like you guys : )

You could always purchse the equipment (or I have even heard possibly "rent it" and calibrate it yourself smile.gif That way you get to fiddle with the TV AND adjsut it to a picture you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I too was concerned when the hockey rink fluctuation was noticed by a few here recently but after hearing that Ken and Robert were able to alleviate this issue I feel confident it's fixable through the TV settings and with Robert passing this on to the Samsung Execs I'm sure it will be corrected through a firmware update.. This is Samsung's brand new plasma Flagship panel which has barely been released yet (no Best Buys or any dealer here in PA within 100 miles have the F8500s yet here nor the ones I checked in the CA bay area which I was at last week)..
Call me crazy or native but that's my thinking..
post #1173 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

The issue might be related to ABL in a similar way, but definitely not anywhere as severe. I have heard the D series suffered from bad fluctuations on all content. So far the fluctuations on the 8500 have mostly only been seen while viewing hockey and only by some viewers (myself included).

Proper calibration settings have been reported to help negate the issue to a large degree.

In my mind further testing on this issue is still needed for me to feel comfortable purchasing this set.

I had a 64D8000 for about three weeks before returning it. I would see anywhere from 10-20 brightness pops/fluctuations per movie. I tried all sorts of calibration and setting combinations. It was the worst defect I have ever experienced on a display. Aside from that, I actually really liked the display.
agkss likes this.

post #1174 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Ken, kudos on looking into the "pop" report. Sounds like nothing the D8000 had.

post #1175 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Keep in mind every TV made is unique, there will be unit variation with sets that do this or that. In the end AVS has always found a glitch with all displays produced and since the 8500 Series is still made by humans there will be issues/glitches........
post #1176 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

You could always purchse the equipment (or I have even heard possibly "rent it" and calibrate it yourself smile.gif That way you get to fiddle with the TV AND adjsut it to a picture you like.

Maybe you shouldn't minimize the learning curve for calibrating with meters. I've taught several people how to do it and afterwards let them borrow one of my inexpensive (expendable) meters to adjust their own TVs. Some (those with a technical background) picked it up in four or five hours. Others never did get to the point where they could even understand the basic process. For those that have a technical aptitude, it still takes about 100 hours minimum of hands-on work with the equipment to become comfortable with the technique.

Yes, you can rent a meter for about $100 a week. An entry level colorimeter will cost about $250. And don't forget about the required software.

Larry
post #1177 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

I'm also a strong believer that competition will force manufacturers to provide sets much closer to a calibrated state then they are now. Panasonic's THX may have been the first volley, but you can bet there will be much more to come. No customer wants to turn on a new tv and see a distorted picture. The industry is way too competitive for that to continue much longer. Customers don't like it at all...at least this customer doesn't, that's for sure!

: )

Well, I'd like to think so too, but apparently it is too hard/expensive to achieve something like kuro's pure mode out of the box. Maybe not enough people care about an accurate, reference-quality picture, but does anybody want to wave and talk to their tv?
post #1178 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Liked: 12
I just got back from looking at a 64" F8500 at Magnolia in Best Buy. I too am concerned about the brightness pops since I returned a 51" E7000 last year due to it having a lot of brightness pops and would turn the panel off when a full black screen was present. I have one clip I brought on a USB flash drive, along with other clips and test patterns to test the brightness pops and various image quality aspects. The particular clip is from the Planet Earth Blu-ray, first episode, beginning of the second chapter, and exact time of 9 minutes 6 seconds. The scene is an aerial shot that passes through some clouds to reveal the Canadian tundra which is medium to dark brown and gray. Ideally the transition through the clouds should be smooth with no noticeable fluctuations. However, last year's E7000 and E8000 had very noticeable brightness pops that I couldn't eliminate within user menu settings. I also tried GT50 last year and looked at a VT50, and they did not exhibit any noticeable fluctuations.

Now the PN64F8500 I watched it on still did have fluctuations, but it wasn't as bad. This was done in Movie mode with default settings (as far as I know). I tried several different Cell brightness settings, 20, 18, 16, 10 , and 0. Settings of 20, 18, 16 looked about the same, but 10 was better and 0 was perfect I think; but who the heck is going to use 0. I wanted to test out more setting variations (cell, brightness, contrast, etc), but that was going to take a long time and I can't access every picture settings when playing media from the USB ports. Eco mode was off, any dynamic adjustments were off, but the black optimizer was grayed out as "Auto". I don't want to make judgment calls when I can't fully control the set. Since I noticed the fluctuations to be not as bad and others saying they have gotten it to be a non-issue, I pre-ordered a 51" to try out myself. Hopefully I'll have it by Tuesday or Friday next week at the latest.

As far as the panel turning off when the scene was full black I don't think I noticed it happening when I tried the Dynamic Range Low clip from the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray. I only checked it really quickly and it was hard to tell if the panel was on or off with the bright lights that this Magnolia had on. The panel turning off during a full black scene only happened on the E7000 when the brightness was below 50 or 48, I forget what the threshold was. I tried the F8500 with brightness at 45 and like I said I don't think I noticed it on the blinking test pattern. I've heard of other Samsung TVs doing this, Plasma and LED. I have a friend that has a C8000 plasma and it exhibits the panel turning off during a full black scene. It seems that Samsung thought that if the scene was black they might as well just turn the panel/backlight off to achieve even more black. The downsides to this are the very noticeable fact the display turned off and if the black scene was a quick transition, you lose a half to a full second of video due the display having to turn back on. I"ll be sure to check this out when I get my set, since I need a proper lighting environment to confirm this.

Lastly from my quick look at Magnolia, I noticed the F8500 seemed to handle plasma "line bleed" quite well. I had a couple test clips that looked very bad on the GT50/VT50, but it was near negligible on the F8500. I also had a couple stills of the dreaded green movie rating screen and I was hard pressed to notice anything. Now this was with only a hand full of clips and images and in a semi-bright room, but I was impressed. I can't wait to evaluate the set myself. I just hope I don't get a buzzer. The GT50 I tried last year buzzed severely, my friends C8000 buzzes very loudly, however the E7000 I tried the buzzing was a non-issue, so maybe I'll get lucky.
post #1179 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Maybe you shouldn't minimize the learning curve for calibrating with meters. I've taught several people how to do it and afterwards let them borrow one of my inexpensive (expendable) meters to adjust their own TVs. Some (those with a technical background) picked it up in four or five hours. Others never did get to the point where they could even understand the basic process. For those that have a technical aptitude, it still takes about 100 hours minimum of hands-on work with the equipment to become comfortable with the technique.

Yes, you can rent a meter for about $100 a week. An entry level colorimeter will cost about $250. And don't forget about the required software.

Larry

How did I minimize the learning curve? Since the person I was replying to enjoys doing the adjustments themselves I simply stated that they may enjoy actually calibrating themselves as well. I know there is a learning curve to the art of calibration and highly respect those that do it as a profession as well as hobby. If the poster was interested I would point them to the Calibration section of the forums as a start to get their toes wet with the information available. It's not for everyone and I understand that, but I dont see how the suggestions I made minimized any learning curve involved with learning how to use the equipment and do a basic calibration.
post #1180 of 12607 Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoQuixotic View Post

Lastly from my quick look at Magnolia, I noticed the F8500 seemed to handle plasma "line bleed" quite well. I had a couple test clips that looked very bad on the GT50/VT50, but it was near negligible on the F8500. I also had a couple stills of the dreaded green movie rating screen and I was hard pressed to notice anything. Now this was with only a hand full of clips and images and in a semi-bright room, but I was impressed.....

Interesting. Thanks for this comment. The line bleed aspect of plasmas has always been a bit irritating to me as a plasma owner.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1181 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoQuixotic View Post

I just got back from looking at a 64" F8500 at Magnolia in Best Buy. I too am concerned about the brightness pops since I returned a 51" E7000 last year due to it having a lot of brightness pops and would turn the panel off when a full black screen was present. I have one clip I brought on a USB flash drive, along with other clips and test patterns to test the brightness pops and various image quality aspects. The particular clip is from the Planet Earth Blu-ray, first episode, beginning of the second chapter, and exact time of 9 minutes 6 seconds. The scene is an aerial shot that passes through some clouds to reveal the Canadian tundra which is medium to dark brown and gray. Ideally the transition through the clouds should be smooth with no noticeable fluctuations. However, last year's E7000 and E8000 had very noticeable brightness pops that I couldn't eliminate within user menu settings. I also tried GT50 last year and looked at a VT50, and they did not exhibit any noticeable fluctuations.

Now the PN64F8500 I watched it on still did have fluctuations, but it wasn't as bad. This was done in Movie mode with default settings (as far as I know). I tried several different Cell brightness settings, 20, 18, 16, 10 , and 0. Settings of 20, 18, 16 looked about the same, but 10 was better and 0 was perfect I think; but who the heck is going to use 0. I wanted to test out more setting variations (cell, brightness, contrast, etc), but that was going to take a long time and I can't access every picture settings when playing media from the USB ports. Eco mode was off, any dynamic adjustments were off, but the black optimizer was grayed out as "Auto". I don't want to make judgment calls when I can't fully control the set. Since I noticed the fluctuations to be not as bad and others saying they have gotten it to be a non-issue, I pre-ordered a 51" to try out myself. Hopefully I'll have it by Tuesday or Friday next week at the latest.

As far as the panel turning off when the scene was full black I don't think I noticed it happening when I tried the Dynamic Range Low clip from the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray. I only checked it really quickly and it was hard to tell if the panel was on or off with the bright lights that this Magnolia had on. The panel turning off during a full black scene only happened on the E7000 when the brightness was below 50 or 48, I forget what the threshold was. I tried the F8500 with brightness at 45 and like I said I don't think I noticed it on the blinking test pattern. I've heard of other Samsung TVs doing this, Plasma and LED. I have a friend that has a C8000 plasma and it exhibits the panel turning off during a full black scene. It seems that Samsung thought that if the scene was black they might as well just turn the panel/backlight off to achieve even more black. The downsides to this are the very noticeable fact the display turned off and if the black scene was a quick transition, you lose a half to a full second of video due the display having to turn back on. I"ll be sure to check this out when I get my set, since I need a proper lighting environment to confirm this.

Lastly from my quick look at Magnolia, I noticed the F8500 seemed to handle plasma "line bleed" quite well. I had a couple test clips that looked very bad on the GT50/VT50, but it was near negligible on the F8500. I also had a couple stills of the dreaded green movie rating screen and I was hard pressed to notice anything. Now this was with only a hand full of clips and images and in a semi-bright room, but I was impressed. I can't wait to evaluate the set myself. I just hope I don't get a buzzer. The GT50 I tried last year buzzed severely, my friends C8000 buzzes very loudly, however the E7000 I tried the buzzing was a non-issue, so maybe I'll get lucky.

I too am still concerned with the fluctuation issue.

Please report back when you have had some time with your TV if you have this issue.

It is reported that proper setting minimize or negate the fluctuations.
post #1182 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Keep in mind every TV made is unique, there will be unit variation with sets that do this or that. In the end AVS has always found a glitch with all displays produced and since the 8500 Series is still made by humans there will be issues/glitches........

Thanks for reminding us of this Chris. That's why it's always good to pay for a professional calibration. The Kuro Elite was a lot different because it was hand crafted and each component was hand picked and tested. The ZT60 is going to be similar in this regard as well. biggrin.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #1183 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I too am still concerned with the fluctuation issue.

Please report back when you have had some time with your TV if you have this issue.

It is reported that proper setting minimize or negate the fluctuations.

You really need to see it for yourself. Buying a panel sight unseen is just ridiculous.
post #1184 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 99
i want to replace my PN50C7000 WITH a PN51F8500 but i'm still on the fence not sure if i should because the picture is still amazing i also have a PN60E8000 that i may just get the evolution kit when it comes out in May does anyone know what the kit will upgrade.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #1185 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

i want to replace my PN50C7000 WITH a PN51F8500 but i'm still on the fence not sure if i should because the picture is still amazing i also have a PN60E8000 that i may just get the evolution kit when it comes out in May does anyone know what the kit will upgrade.

Evolution kit upgrades the processor and gives you the 2013 interface......
post #1186 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post

You really need to see it for yourself. Buying a panel sight unseen is just ridiculous.

I never said I would buy a tv sight unseen. I have already looked at it twice in store and I did see fluctuations.

Now we have reports of fixing them with proper calibration settings.

So I simply want to see how widespread the issue is and how easily a normal consumer can fix the issue with settings without needing a calibration to do so
post #1187 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well it doesn't seem to matter what settings I use, nothing tames this ABL fluctuations on this set for me. And I've noticed this now on more then just hockey. Watching a 3d Bluray I've seen it, watching regular tv shows I've seen it. This is a pretty bad defect. So bad that if my dealer agrees to take it back, I'll be sending it back and using a 27" CRT for 2 months waiting on the ZT60. I'd much rather use that then put up with this. Pretty sad that Samsung knows this is an issue from previous years and wouldn't have it fixed. Guess I know not to buy there products anymore.
agkss likes this.
post #1188 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

Well it doesn't seem to matter what settings I use, nothing tames this ABL fluctuations on this set for me. And I've noticed this now on more then just hockey. Watching a 3d Bluray I've seen it, watching regular tv shows I've seen it. This is a pretty bad defect. So bad that if my dealer agrees to take it back, I'll be sending it back and using a 27" CRT for 2 months waiting on the ZT60. I'd much rather use that then put up with this. Pretty sad that Samsung knows this is an issue from previous years and wouldn't have it fixed. Guess I know not to buy there products anymore.

Ughhh, this is the most disappointing news ever. Especially since Samsung just agreed to let me exchange my D7000 at the very end of the warranty.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I can live with the ABL fluctuations during hockey and every now and then during an all white screen, however if this is the same Fbr that flashes on the letterbox bars and on dark scenes in TV shows I am going to be so disappointed.
post #1189 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Ughhh, this is the most disappointing news ever. Especially since Samsung just agreed to let me exchange my D7000 at the very end of the warranty.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I can live with the ABL fluctuations during hockey and every now and then during an all white screen, however if this is the same Fbr that flashes on the letterbox bars and on dark scenes in TV shows I am going to be so disappointed.

mark seems to seem to have the worst case so far and possibly a defective set.....As others owners have reported either seeing minimal ABL or none at all....There have been a few people (including wal) that saw it while viewing the set in the store....As you can see in other posts the ABLE effect can be minimized via settings....It may take awhile however to find out exactly what combo of settings will work......Robert from VE said he would notify Samsung of the ABL fluctuations he saw when Ken was in the store and hopefully its "fixable" via a firmware update.....
post #1190 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Liked: 10
"She probably never even punished her did she? That's exactly why we'll definitely be spanking our kids. They gotta have something to fear, and every kid fears a spanking."

Punishment is one thing--using violence to control your children's actions due to your inadequate parenting skills is something different entirely.

Next time you do something wrong I can come over and punch you if that would help you learn your lesson.
post #1191 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Can we please stop trying to calibrate strangers' children, and stick to calibrating strangers' tv sets?! wink.gif
Leon! likes this.
post #1192 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

mark seems to seem to have the worst case so far and possibly a defective set.....As others owners have reported either seeing minimal ABL or none at all....There have been a few people (including wal) that saw it while viewing the set in the store....As you can see in other posts the ABLE effect can be minimized via settings....It may take awhile however to find out exactly what combo of settings will work......Robert from VE said he would notify Samsung of the ABL fluctuations he saw when Ken was in the store and hopefully its "fixable" via a firmware update.....

I certainly won't hold my breath for a firmware update from Samsung for an issue like this based on my experience with my D series.

However, if it only shows itself when you'd normally expect ABL to kick in (hockey games, very rarely during a bright white scene in a full screen TV show/movie,etc.) then I consider it something that most people could live with (albeit disappointing). My problem arises if it's the same as the D series where it would have the brightness pops randomly during all sorts of content whenever there was a dark scene in a movie.
post #1193 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Can we please stop trying to calibrate strangers' children, and stick to calibrating strangers' tv sets?! wink.gif

LMAO! You raise a great point though. There has to be a market for children calibration!
post #1194 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

This was my experience with the E series and in viewing of the F in stores so far. Did you try Ken's suggestion to use CAL-Day? If you could test this and confirm his findings, it may put this issue to rest.
post #1195 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmen911 View Post

"She probably never even punished her did she? That's exactly why we'll definitely be spanking our kids. They gotta have something to fear, and every kid fears a spanking."

Punishment is one thing--using violence to control your children's actions due to your inadequate parenting skills is something different entirely.

Next time you do something wrong I can come over and punch you if that would help you learn your lesson.

I don’t like physical violence which is ironic since I studied martial arts for years and have had my nose broken 4 times during fights. Let me rephrase that – I don’t like predators who take advantage of the smaller and weaker.

My Dad spanked me and I had to listen to all of those fabulously witty and funny “dumb Pollack” jokes when I was a kid. I cried a lot. And I only got a gold star when I was excellent.

That said; I am physically and egoically tougher than most men. I have a determination to succeed that can’t be blunted. Not bragging -- just telling it as it is. It’s a fact that children who are sickly have healthier lives because their immune systems were tested and had to evolve. Look at it that way.

I don’t know what the answer is. I think it depends on a parents motivation. But I do think that we’ve become a country of whiners and victims because every kid gets a gold star so that none of them have low self esteem.

And they never learn that self esteem is earned by doing esteemable things.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #1196 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Love it. Well put.
post #1197 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

There seems to be a very varied level of fluctuation being reported. Anything from zero fluctuations upwards of pops all over the place and on all content, even movies (similar to D series)...????
post #1198 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

This was my experience with the E series and in viewing of the F in stores so far. Did you try Ken's suggestion to use CAL-Day? If you could test this and confirm his findings, it may put this issue to rest.

You need to have a calibrator unlock the "Cal" settings.

Again, Robert and I could only find one brief instance of this issue among 2 hours of testing. The day that some AVS guys came to Robert's store, they could find nothing and they too were looking specifically for the issue. So I don't know why we have a divergence of observations from a few guys (different settings, different panels?).
post #1199 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:

There seems to be a very varied level of fluctuation being reported. Anything from zero fluctuations upwards of pops all over the place and on all content, even movies (similar to D series)...????

This is what has me very worried.

I hope it's not the case. It's hard for me to imagine that Samsung didn't get hurt financially enough by people returning D series sets to make sure the problem was corrected on future models. I never heard it mentioned much on the E series and it would be so disappointing to hear that it has returned for the F series.
post #1200 of 12607 Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

It has been noted that cal day fixes the pops but also that the average person should not attempt to open the service menu because you can ruin your TV if you don't know what your doing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page