Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 407 - AVS Forum
First ... 405  406  407 408  409  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
Jason626's Avatar Jason626 10:13 AM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
but if he waits until 2015 to buy 'last years' 2014 on clearance, and then in 2016 he buys 'last years' 2015 model on clearance...etc
Good luck guessing when these will be gone, they will go up just like the Panasonic's did before they go away. TC-P65ZT60 are on Amazon for $6900, LOL. If you still have high demand at the end, which these 8500's will, the price will go up, not down........
Not that your assumption is wrong but I believe they are talking about evolution kits not the tv

fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 10:44 AM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
but if he waits until 2015 to buy 'last years' 2014 on clearance, and then in 2016 he buys 'last years' 2015 model on clearance...etc
Good luck guessing when these will be gone, they will go up just like the Panasonic's did before they go away. TC-P65ZT60 are on Amazon for $6900, LOL. If you still have high demand at the end, which these 8500's will, the price will go up, not down........
Not that your assumption is wrong but I believe they are talking about evolution kits not the tv
haha, yup. as long as the 2016 evo kit is being produced, the 2015 kits aren't going to go up in price
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 10:47 AM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Quote:
too bad, this is the one time buying electronics in Canada is actually a good thing. the zt60's were over 1000bux off up to just a few weeks ago. they seem to be all gone now, but they definitely went on clearance, not up in price. the used market is something else entirely though.
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 11:26 AM 06-16-2014
You guys are optimists assuming they will make the EVO kits for older model TVs for so many years. I will be surprised if you can still get an EVO kit in 2016 that works on a 2012 model.
wxman's Avatar wxman 05:21 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You guys are optimists assuming they will make the EVO kits for older model TVs for so many years. I will be surprised if you can still get an EVO kit in 2016 that works on a 2012 model.
I believe Samsung said evo kits will only be backward compatible for 4 years. So once your tv is 5 years, probably no evo.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 05:22 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
maybe, thy promised 5yrs, so they are technically obligated to make them until 2018 for the f8500. we know what promises are worth these days, but I'd say failure to keep that promise would be equal to them abandoning the idea of evo kits completely.

I mean, why would anybody trust Samsung to provide evo kits for their new LED UHDTV for 5 years if they just stopped releasing them for the f8500 after 1 or 2 yrs.

I'd just be surprised if people were still buying them, haha. but then I still don't understand what they are supposed to improve upon? I'd see it being useful if it added a new input(hdmi2.0 for example), or made a non-3D tv 3D, or maybe even reduce input lag since that's an issue with the f8500 anyway. I just don't see the appeal to spending 200 bux for improvements to the smart features when 30bux can buy you a little usb dongle that probably does it better anyway. for 200 bux you can buy a GOOD standalone media box to handle all the smart features.
9179mhb's Avatar 9179mhb 06:13 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
maybe, thy promised 5yrs, so they are technically obligated to make them until 2018 for the f8500. we know what promises are worth these days, but I'd say failure to keep that promise would be equal to them abandoning the idea of evo kits completely.

I mean, why would anybody trust Samsung to provide evo kits for their new LED UHDTV for 5 years if they just stopped releasing them for the f8500 after 1 or 2 yrs.

I'd just be surprised if people were still buying them, haha. but then I still don't understand what they are supposed to improve upon? I'd see it being useful if it added a new input(hdmi2.0 for example), or made a non-3D tv 3D, or maybe even reduce input lag since that's an issue with the f8500 anyway. I just don't see the appeal to spending 200 bux for improvements to the smart features when 30bux can buy you a little usb dongle that probably does it better anyway. for 200 bux you can buy a GOOD standalone media box to handle all the smart features.

Isn't the BIG deal w/the HDMI 2.0 spec. is support for 4K UHD content?
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 06:19 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I believe Samsung said evo kits will only be backward compatible for 4 years. So once your tv is 5 years, probably no evo.
Quote:
I wasn't aware they actually promised a minimum number of years of EVO kits. I did a little Google searching and didn't find any references to that. Do you guys have links?
cyberized's Avatar cyberized 07:19 PM 06-16-2014
QUESTION about using my A/V Receiver for Audio from/thru DTV and also from the 64F8500 [with DTV OFF]?

I presently Turn OFF the Sound built into my HDTV and rely on my A/V Receiver for ALL Audio.......there must be a way to set this up to send the Audio Signals from just the TV [w/o DTV ON] to the A/V Receiver too. IF so.......PLEASE tell me how to use the built in Setup[s] to do this!
I would like to, just for example, play Music Videos [APPs], thru my A/V Receiver rather than just the inferior speaker system in the TV itself.

Thanks, michael
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 08:08 PM 06-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
Isn't the BIG deal w/the HDMI 2.0 spec. is support for 4K UHD content?
that may have been a poor example. let's say instead of hdmi 2.0 winning, we end up with display port instead. even though the tv can't display UHD resolutions, it'd be nice to have that new connector in case it becomes the industry standard for sources.

I say this from experience, I had a CRT HDTV that didn't have hdmi, it had dvi and component video. I used that tv for many years after hdmi became the standard, and in fact was still using it when I bought my first bluray player that came equipped with only one video output, hdmi. instead of having to deal with hdmi-dvi convertors, it would have been convenient to plug a box into the back of the tv that had hdmi inputs.

I don't know how possible this even is, I'm just saying THAT would be a feature worthy of spending 200bux on a evo kit for imo. making my smart apps load 10% quicker, is not.
ScottFern's Avatar ScottFern 09:02 PM 06-16-2014
Can anyone comment on the picture quality and black levels before and after a professional calibration? I am considering getting one in the next 2 months.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 09:14 PM 06-16-2014
you posted this in every f8500 thread except the one most applicable, haha

F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....

a lot of comments regarding before/after results in that thread.
rickardl's Avatar rickardl 12:47 AM 06-17-2014
Quote:
I wasn't aware they actually promised a minimum number of years of EVO kits. I did a little Google searching and didn't find any references to that. Do you guys have links?
They talked about it during the 2012 HDTV shoot out.
You Tube
(evo talk start about 4 minutes into it)
Attached: evokit.jpg (29.1 KB) 
Stereodude's Avatar Stereodude 05:46 AM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
They talked about it during the 2012 HDTV shoot out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3udlJZDJQ3w
(evo talk start about 4 minutes into it)
Interesting! Thanks for the link. I guess the F8500 should have Evo kits through 2017.
USMCj's Avatar USMCj 07:52 AM 06-17-2014
Just an FYI. Samsung has released netflix app for the 2014 EVO kit. Downloaded last night. Works great.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 02:50 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
LOL, nice........
cooknl's Avatar cooknl 03:05 PM 06-17-2014
Has anyone any information on the MTBF (mean time between failures) for the f8500 series tv??
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 03:52 PM 06-17-2014
Samsung does haven't seen any information like that posted however in any set that I've centered into their thread. There are just too many
Variables to create a "MT"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wxman's Avatar wxman 10:02 PM 06-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post
Has anyone any information on the MTBF (mean time between failures) for the f8500 series tv??
The higher your elevation above sea level, the higher your chance of failure. Plasmas are optimized for sea level pressure. The higher the elevation, the lower the pressure, the greater the stress on plasma.
JimP 05:41 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post
Do any TV manufacturer make public those kind of numbers? Seems that their lawyers would prevent that.
sublimerocks86's Avatar sublimerocks86 06:57 AM 06-18-2014
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding this television. I own a Panasonic S60 plasma in my apartment as that was my general price range when I was shopping for a TV last year and am pretty happy with the buy. That's not the issue at hand though, however it did turn me on to the wonders of plasma even though mine was an entry level model.

My father had a Sony LCD that he bought about 3 years ago that died during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final. If anyone is familiar with the scene in the Mel Brooks film Spaceballs where Spaceball One goes "to plaid"...well that's what this TV looks like. From what I can tell, it's done.

He wants to get a plasma now and since the VT60 isn't an option, I have heard amazing things about the f8500. The only issue that I have is he does not watch blu ray movies ever. All he does is watch news/sports and such. I doubt IR/any type of burn in would be an issue as these sets don't seem like they are prone to those issues, plus if I tell him steps to prevent it, I'm sure he would take those steps.

The bigger concern is quite frankly, he won't be using the TV to it's full potential. In my area, the HD broadcasts aren't of very high quality (then again that's true most places). I mean is this TV honestly worth it if a person is basically watching sports/news/maybe some Netflix?

I apoligize if these questions have been answered already throughout this thread or similar ones to it. Thanks very much everyone for providing your opinions! Have a great day!
USMCj's Avatar USMCj 07:27 AM 06-18-2014
It all depends on how much he wants to spend. Is it worth it? Sure it is. I for one can't stand watching LCDs. The slow refresh rate annoys me very much. Then again, my idea of watching sports is MotoGP racing and AMA Superbike races which are very fast paced. YMMV
sublimerocks86's Avatar sublimerocks86 07:36 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCj View Post
It all depends on how much he wants to spend. Is it worth it? Sure it is. I for one can't stand watching LCDs. The slow refresh rate annoys me very much. Then again, my idea of watching sports is MotoGP racing and AMA Superbike races which are very fast paced. YMMV
Thanks very much. When I mentioned the potential cost, his response was "that's about what I was expecting to spend". I don't think cost is an issue.

Our sports (I go over for a lot of games) is usually football, basketball and the occasional hockey game during the playoffs when I'm not in the arena. As I'm a NJ Devils fan, I've been watching the playoffs from my couch a lot lately.

As long as the Giants/Knicks/Yankees look good, he's a happy guy. I know I mentioned the IR issue not being that bad on these TVs from all indication but I know it's still plasma. Call it what it is, what are we honestly looking at in terms of probable IR? My S60 isn't horrible but I do get it.
pavloPL's Avatar pavloPL 09:39 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimerocks86 View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding this television. I own a Panasonic S60 plasma in my apartment as that was my general price range when I was shopping for a TV last year and am pretty happy with the buy. That's not the issue at hand though, however it did turn me on to the wonders of plasma even though mine was an entry level model.

My father had a Sony LCD that he bought about 3 years ago that died during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final. If anyone is familiar with the scene in the Mel Brooks film Spaceballs where Spaceball One goes "to plaid"...well that's what this TV looks like. From what I can tell, it's done.

He wants to get a plasma now and since the VT60 isn't an option, I have heard amazing things about the f8500. The only issue that I have is he does not watch blu ray movies ever. All he does is watch news/sports and such. I doubt IR/any type of burn in would be an issue as these sets don't seem like they are prone to those issues, plus if I tell him steps to prevent it, I'm sure he would take those steps.

The bigger concern is quite frankly, he won't be using the TV to it's full potential. In my area, the HD broadcasts aren't of very high quality (then again that's true most places). I mean is this TV honestly worth it if a person is basically watching sports/news/maybe some Netflix?

I apoligize if these questions have been answered already throughout this thread or similar ones to it. Thanks very much everyone for providing your opinions! Have a great day!
I honestly have a screen replaced in my F8500 because of TV. That probably my fault as I watched one channel mostly and after few months time I have noticed permanent burn-ins. I tried to remove but nothing works, so well now with new screen I try to avoid TV and every day try to run scrollbars for 2h just in case. Regards HD broadcast it looks really great so definetly nice to watch on that set. But if I were you and would use it just for TV I would look for some good LCD.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt 10:22 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:

if he's got the money to spend, I'd still highly recommend it. it handles 720p stuff quite well, and the general 'processing' of the tv is good. IR is as you said, not really a concern. usually commercials or flipping channels is more than enough to clear anything before it becomes noticeable. I'm using mine as my PC monitor right now as I'm typing this, and I've been surfing these forums for well over an hour already. I do this often, with no issues so far.

in some ways, I'd actually say he's the ideal user for the tv. sounds like he'd make use of the displays extra brightness, awesome screen filter, and great overall picture quality. it's not like the f8500 would make any of his casual viewing look WORSE, so there's no harm there. and when he does pay attention to what he's watching, even if that's 'only' sports, it's going to give him a better picture than the current competition on the market.

I actually have my f8500 in my theater room as the secondary display to my projector. I rarely watch any movies on it, just tv shows, some gaming, a lot of PC use. I still REALLY appreciate the picture quality

if he doesn't go for the f8500, I'd still recommend he go for another plasma while he still can.

PS, maybe he doesn't watch any movies on his current tv because they don't look good on his current tv?
redcrow100's Avatar redcrow100 01:06 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post
QUESTION about using my A/V Receiver for Audio from/thru DTV and also from the 64F8500 [with DTV OFF]?

I presently Turn OFF the Sound built into my HDTV and rely on my A/V Receiver for ALL Audio.......there must be a way to set this up to send the Audio Signals from just the TV [w/o DTV ON] to the A/V Receiver too. IF so.......PLEASE tell me how to use the built in Setup[s] to do this!
I would like to, just for example, play Music Videos [APPs], thru my A/V Receiver rather than just the inferior speaker system in the TV itself.

Thanks, michael
I have this same problem. Does anybody have a solution or guide?
cyberized's Avatar cyberized 04:34 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow100 View Post
I have this same problem. Does anybody have a solution or guide?

I used Sammy's HELP and this is what I received:
Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you would like to get the apps, play, Music and/or Music Videos with the audio being processed by your A/V receiver from the Samsung TV. You can directly connect the receiver to the TV using digital optical cable and get the sound from the apps, or music from the receiver.

Please check the link below for the instructions to connect the TV to the receiver:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...PN64F8500AFXZA

THIS did NOT do the deed for me BUT did not let them know it.

I just installed one of the latest [for me] AVRs and I put the Component Cables into VIDEO and also Optical Digital for Audio [I hope].......now will try to use the 8500 Setup to Choose that VIDEO I/O and see IF that works. IF it does...I will report back, IF not, NO reply. Cross fingers!
amazingmuzmo's Avatar amazingmuzmo 05:19 PM 06-19-2014
Well after some extensive testing, I've come to the following conclusions about the input lag on this set:

No "PC" name input, no game mode:

Average input lag - 120 ms

No "PC" name input, game mode on:

Average input lag - 80 ms

"PC" input name:

Average input lag - 65 ms

It seems, for my set at least (firmware 1119), the PC input name juuuuuust slightly decreases the input lag, not very much though.
redcrow100's Avatar redcrow100 06:42 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

Thanks, michael

Michael,

Kept searching around Google for an hour trying to figure this out. The solution is to use HDMI 3 ARC on the TV. Make sure your AVR is compatible as well. I have a Sony STR1040 with the following set up:

1- Directv to the receiver's satellite input
2- PS3 to the reveiver's BD input
3-Appletv to the receiver's video 1 input
4- Receiver output to the tv's HDMI 3

When i turn on the tv and direcTV it switches to the appropriate settings
When I go to the TV apps and play a netflix or youtube clip it switches my receiver to "TV" and I hear everything accordingly.

The only issue is that after i initially turn on DirecTV the Samsung changes after the input back to "TV" after a few seconds. Much smaller issue but i'll keep looking for a solution. I don't know why it would default back after doing everything right

PS- Make sure you run the Samsung's initial set up again to assign your TV provider (DirecTV, COX, Dish etc) to the correct input.

Hope this helps
JimP 07:44 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Thanks very much. When I mentioned the potential cost, his response was "that's about what I was expecting to spend". I don't think cost is an issue.

Our sports (I go over for a lot of games) is usually football, basketball and the occasional hockey game during the playoffs when I'm not in the arena. As I'm a NJ Devils fan, I've been watching the playoffs from my couch a lot lately.

As long as the Giants/Knicks/Yankees look good, he's a happy guy. I know I mentioned the IR issue not being that bad on these TVs from all indication but I know it's still plasma. Call it what it is, what are we honestly looking at in terms of probable IR? My S60 isn't horrible but I do get it.
Watching sports is a doubled edge knife on a plasma. You'll get better motion than on a LCD but with the static numbers on the screen you will eventually burn it in if you watch a lot of sports. You probably already know that with your S60. Another way to look at it is if you tear it up, just get another set. Life's too short to worry about the little stuff.
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 405  406  407 408  409  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop