Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 413 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #12361 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Why not listen to owners who have had the set and continue to have the set? Chad B has correct the rumor that he stated 84ftl and that he noticed major drops. Remember you need to know how they got to the number as well (stimulus and mode used) as sometimes the peak brightness was achieved outside of a standard calibration mode\setting\stimulus.
I wonder how bright 3D was measured at in the brightest 3D picture mode. Last I read, it was 12 ftl through one 3D lens....compared to just over 5.5 ftl for the zt60. I have quite a few 3D movies as well. Wouldn't mind re-watching them with the increased brightness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12362 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
I wonder how bright 3D was measured at in the brightest 3D picture mode. Last I read, it was 12 ftl through one 3D lens....compared to just over 5.5 ftl for the zt60. I have quite a few 3D movies as well. Wouldn't mind re-watching them with the increased brightness!

Sounds more like you need an OLED. Doesn't sound like the F8500 is for you.
Ph8te likes this.
post #12363 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
In 3D mode, I usually get 6.5 to 7 fL from the VT/ZT60 using PB high. I just did a 64F8500 which put out 8.4 fL in Movie 3D mode with contrast at 99 and cell light at 20. These are all with the meter looking through the glasses (turned on).

BTW, in 2D it put out 53 fL in Movie mode with cell light/contrast almost maxed out and BO Auto. Totally maxed out it probably would have been 55-56 fL. I usually use 5% size, 18-25% APL windows.
post #12364 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Sounds more like you need an OLED. Doesn't sound like the F8500 is for you.
OLED isn't viable for anyone.....its extremely unstable. You can get extreme cases of IR from just the black bars of one movie. Screen uniformity and even off angle viewing are horrible too. The shootout talked about this. Maybe ill look into an OLED in a year or zoo

I thought the F8500 was the viable solution for an LED/OLED at this moment? Isn't that why most folks went with it? Get the benefits of a plasma with the brightness of ( almost ) an LED/OLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
In 3D mode, I usually get 6.5 to 7 fL from the VT/ZT60 using PB high. I just did a 64F8500 which put out 8.4 fL in Movie 3D mode with contrast at 99 and cell light at 20. These are all with the meter looking through the glasses (turned on).

BTW, in 2D it put out 53 fL in Movie mode with cell light/contrast almost maxed out and BO Auto. Totally maxed out it probably would have been 55-56 fL. I usually use 5% size, 18-25% APL windows.
Super helpful information Chad. Thanks!

Im starting to think even if the F8500' brightness was lowered through firmware it may appear to be brighter than its measured fl b/c it still has the original hardware designed to go much brighter. I think this will work out for me. Hopefully this time I will get a tv with zero DSE.....i can't stand DSE

Edit:

Chad, are there modes on the F8500 that are a bit less accurate than movie mode but can go much brighter? Like standard?

If i can get about 60 - 70 fl for a day mode ( even if it is slightly less accurate thru a different picture mode ) i would be ecstatic.

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Yesterday at 07:03 PM.
post #12365 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Quote:
OLED isn't viable for anyone.....its extremely unstable. You can get extreme cases of IR from just the black bars of one movie. Screen uniformity and even off angle viewing are horrible too. The shootout talked about this. Maybe ill look into an OLED in a year or zoo

I thought the F8500 was the viable solution for an LED/OLED at this moment? Isn't that why most folks went with it? Get the benefits of a plasma with the brightness of ( almost ) an LED/OLED

Well just a minute, the shootout did not state that OLED's screen uniformity and viewing angles were "HORRIBLE". I also haven't heard about it being "extremely unstable".

The reason I was saying that the F8500 doesn't seem to be for you because after several posts from people here giving you some great info about the F8500 and great reasons to get it you've been very resistant towards getting it still and not to offend you but you've come up with some replies that are unreasonable such as the keeping the curtains open because you don't want that part of the house dark in order to watch TV. While that's understandable on some level you have to make compromises with anything you put in your house if you plan to use it, especially a TV. My F8500 is so bright on the brightest setting that I cannot watch it. I always use Standard mode with cell light at 9 and contrast at 60. It's just THAT bright. You will not have issues in regards to that. If you're saying an OLED is not for you (please don't speak for everyone else) then the only other option is the reference F8500.
post #12366 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Well just a minute, the shootout did not state that OLED's screen uniformity and viewing angles were "HORRIBLE". I also haven't heard about it being "extremely unstable".

The reason I was saying that the F8500 doesn't seem to be for you because after several posts from people here giving you some great info about the F8500 and great reasons to get it you've been very resistant towards getting it still and not to offend you but you've come up with some replies that are unreasonable such as the keeping the curtains open because you don't want that part of the house dark in order to watch TV. While that's understandable on some level you have to make compromises with anything you put in your house if you plan to use it, especially a TV. My F8500 is so bright on the brightest setting that I cannot watch it. I always use Standard mode with cell light at 9 and contrast at 60. It's just THAT bright. You will not have issues in regards to that. If you're saying an OLED is not for you (please don't speak for everyone else) then the only other option is the reference F8500.
Dude, you're taking this way to personally...
post #12367 of 12369 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Quote:
LOL Dude, relax. Im not hating on your F8500. Its a great tv, okay?
You're not hating on MY F8500?? I never said you were. What exactly is your problem? I don't take things personally here. I suggested for you to go for OLED and your reply was completely incorrect about what was said about it at the Shootout and I pointed that out. I couldn't care less if you like/love/hate the F8500. I try to help people here sir if they have interest in the F8500 or any other TV. I don't call people "dude" and say LOL and rudely tell them to relax. Maybe you should take your own advice, and please don't bother replying. If you're looking to pick fights, find someone else.
post #12368 of 12369 Unread Today, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Bickering removed. Discuss the topic and not each other, please.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #12369 of 12369 Unread Today, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Bickering removed. Discuss the topic and not each other, please.
I agree!

Does anyone know what the latest input lag measurements are using the pc input name trick? Once I end up with the display I plan on playing a ton of video games
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com