Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 413 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12361 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Why not listen to owners who have had the set and continue to have the set? Chad B has correct the rumor that he stated 84ftl and that he noticed major drops. Remember you need to know how they got to the number as well (stimulus and mode used) as sometimes the peak brightness was achieved outside of a standard calibration mode\setting\stimulus.


It seems that these "brightness drop" issue has caught fire for some reason yet, owners say for the most part they haven't noticed it (there were a few reports, but resolved by adjusting settings). The calibrators (as far as I can remember) haven't noticed this (maybe I am remembering what was said at the shootout incorrectly). Sure its "disappointing", but back last year the trumpeting horn of the Panasonic fans was that 35/40 ftl was "enough", now all of a sudden its not?


Don't get me wrong I understand your concern, but I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. The owners here have pretty much reported every issue that has come up with this set, one thing that is never wanting (unless you "need" LCD brightness) is that they want a brighter screen. If it were a big issues, owners would be discussing it as a hot topic and there would be MANY unhappy people in these forums.


Form reports of owners, The Samsungs fair much better at IR resistance and removal when compared to the 2013 Panasonics. IR will always be a drawback of the technology, but it seems much less of an issue with F8500 and any IR seems to fade quickly. Of course if you abuse any set, im sure you can break the mold
35-40 ftl is enough for dark room viewing...this will be in a really bright living room with a HUGE window. We do have drapes but we open the drapes during the day. Also, at night, it is never completely dark when watching a movie. Just enough ambient light to see everyone as such I would love a bright punchy image from a tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Wanting the 8500 to be brighter couldn't be more near the bottom of the "wish list" for this tv. In fact, it's not even on the wish list.....analogous to wishing a Lamborghini was faster...
I would love for it to be brighter. I need a bright punchy image for a bright and mid bright room. Not exactly critical viewing environment but I want the best image possible with flawless off axis viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
What's with people complaining about big picture windows opposite their TVs, and who in their right mind would watch a TV with a window blatantly issuing sunlight on their beloved TV. I know I wouldn't. They're called blinds, or curtains!
(I know there is the odd wife that wants all the light possible shining in the house, but not everyone's wife is like that.)
I have drapes....we just open them during the day so we spend the day in the dark? lol Seriously, am i going to watch afternoon tv in the dark with the drapes closed? No.....
music_to_my_ear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12362 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Why not listen to owners who have had the set and continue to have the set? Chad B has correct the rumor that he stated 84ftl and that he noticed major drops. Remember you need to know how they got to the number as well (stimulus and mode used) as sometimes the peak brightness was achieved outside of a standard calibration mode\setting\stimulus.
I wonder how bright 3D was measured at in the brightest 3D picture mode. Last I read, it was 12 ftl through one 3D lens....compared to just over 5.5 ftl for the zt60. I have quite a few 3D movies as well. Wouldn't mind re-watching them with the increased brightness!
music_to_my_ear is offline  
post #12363 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
I wonder how bright 3D was measured at in the brightest 3D picture mode. Last I read, it was 12 ftl through one 3D lens....compared to just over 5.5 ftl for the zt60. I have quite a few 3D movies as well. Wouldn't mind re-watching them with the increased brightness!

Sounds more like you need an OLED. Doesn't sound like the F8500 is for you.
Ph8te likes this.
HLdan is offline  
post #12364 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
In 3D mode, I usually get 6.5 to 7 fL from the VT/ZT60 using PB high. I just did a 64F8500 which put out 8.4 fL in Movie 3D mode with contrast at 99 and cell light at 20. These are all with the meter looking through the glasses (turned on).

BTW, in 2D it put out 53 fL in Movie mode with cell light/contrast almost maxed out and BO Auto. Totally maxed out it probably would have been 55-56 fL. I usually use 5% size, 18-25% APL windows.
Chad B is online now  
post #12365 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
I wonder how bright 3D was measured at in the brightest 3D picture mode. Last I read, it was 12 ftl through one 3D lens....compared to just over 5.5 ftl for the zt60. I have quite a few 3D movies as well. Wouldn't mind re-watching them with the increased brightness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Sounds more like you need an OLED. Doesn't sound like the F8500 is for you.
OLED isn't viable for anyone.....its extremely unstable. You can get extreme cases of IR from just the black bars of one movie. Screen uniformity and even off angle viewing are horrible too. The shootout talked about this. Maybe ill look into an OLED in a year or zoo

I thought the F8500 was the viable solution for an LED/OLED at this moment? Isn't that why most folks went with it? Get the benefits of a plasma with the brightness of ( almost ) an LED/OLED


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
In 3D mode, I usually get 6.5 to 7 fL from the VT/ZT60 using PB high. I just did a 64F8500 which put out 8.4 fL in Movie 3D mode with contrast at 99 and cell light at 20. These are all with the meter looking through the glasses (turned on).

BTW, in 2D it put out 53 fL in Movie mode with cell light/contrast almost maxed out and BO Auto. Totally maxed out it probably would have been 55-56 fL. I usually use 5% size, 18-25% APL windows.
Super helpful information Chad. Thanks!

Im starting to think even if the F8500' brightness was lowered through firmware it may appear to be brighter than its measured fl b/c it still has the original hardware designed to go much brighter. I think this will work out for me. Hopefully this time I will get a tv with zero DSE.....i can't stand DSE

Edit:

Chad, are there modes on the F8500 that are a bit less accurate than movie mode but can go much brighter? Like standard?

If i can get about 60 - 70 fl for a day mode ( even if it is slightly less accurate thru a different picture mode ) i would be ecstatic.

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Yesterday at 07:03 PM.
music_to_my_ear is offline  
post #12366 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
OLED isn't viable for anyone.....its extremely unstable. You can get extreme cases of IR from just the black bars of one movie. Screen uniformity and even off angle viewing are horrible too. The shootout talked about this. Maybe ill look into an OLED in a year or zoo

I thought the F8500 was the viable solution for an LED/OLED at this moment? Isn't that why most folks went with it? Get the benefits of a plasma with the brightness of ( almost ) an LED/OLED

Well just a minute, the shootout did not state that OLED's screen uniformity and viewing angles were "HORRIBLE". I also haven't heard about it being "extremely unstable".

The reason I was saying that the F8500 doesn't seem to be for you because after several posts from people here giving you some great info about the F8500 and great reasons to get it you've been very resistant towards getting it still and not to offend you but you've come up with some replies that are unreasonable such as the keeping the curtains open because you don't want that part of the house dark in order to watch TV. While that's understandable on some level you have to make compromises with anything you put in your house if you plan to use it, especially a TV. My F8500 is so bright on the brightest setting that I cannot watch it. I always use Standard mode with cell light at 9 and contrast at 60. It's just THAT bright. You will not have issues in regards to that. If you're saying an OLED is not for you (please don't speak for everyone else) then the only other option is the reference F8500.
HLdan is offline  
post #12367 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Well just a minute, the shootout did not state that OLED's screen uniformity and viewing angles were "HORRIBLE". I also haven't heard about it being "extremely unstable".

The reason I was saying that the F8500 doesn't seem to be for you because after several posts from people here giving you some great info about the F8500 and great reasons to get it you've been very resistant towards getting it still and not to offend you but you've come up with some replies that are unreasonable such as the keeping the curtains open because you don't want that part of the house dark in order to watch TV. While that's understandable on some level you have to make compromises with anything you put in your house if you plan to use it, especially a TV. My F8500 is so bright on the brightest setting that I cannot watch it. I always use Standard mode with cell light at 9 and contrast at 60. It's just THAT bright. You will not have issues in regards to that. If you're saying an OLED is not for you (please don't speak for everyone else) then the only other option is the reference F8500.
Dude, you're taking this way to personally...
music_to_my_ear is offline  
post #12368 of 12368 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
LOL Dude, relax. Im not hating on your F8500. Its a great tv, okay?
You're not hating on MY F8500?? I never said you were. What exactly is your problem? I don't take things personally here. I suggested for you to go for OLED and your reply was completely incorrect about what was said about it at the Shootout and I pointed that out. I couldn't care less if you like/love/hate the F8500. I try to help people here sir if they have interest in the F8500 or any other TV. I don't call people "dude" and say LOL and rudely tell them to relax. Maybe you should take your own advice, and please don't bother replying. If you're looking to pick fights, find someone else.
HLdan is offline  
post #12369 of 12368 Old Today, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Bickering removed. Discuss the topic and not each other, please.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off