Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 414 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12391 of 12417 Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
I had them both side by side in the same openly lit room. I agree the F8500 is brighter, and perhaps it was maybe just my particular panel, but the ZT60 held its own. Once the room was blacked out, there was no contest. It really sounds like firmware updates have toned down the F8500's max brightness.
Well thank goodness if that's really true because at it's brightest point my F8500 is super bright and I can't watch it at that setting and I keep windows exposed in my home. It's the perfect set for someone who keeps an abundance of light in their home. I'll have to say this, I just purchased my F8500 and maybe the one you had was the made in 2013 and had different firmware. The newer F8500's have a newer firmware number from the 2013's.

Honestly, I'm not even certain this alleged firmware update that's being said to have reduced the brightness on the F8500 is true or not and if it is true it certainly didn't have the negative effect that some people are making it out to be. I think it's quite overblown. I have a 2012 Panasonic Plasma with THX Brightroom setting and it is very watchable at that setting but certainly not the best PQ and certainly not the brightest for high ambient lit rooms. My new F8500 is incredibly brighter.

No disrespect to Chad B but I think it's better to let the actual owners of the F8500 speak about the brightness of it rather than going by numbers from a calibrator. I've noticed the numbers keep changing often depending on who's posting them.

Last edited by HLdan; 08-27-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12417 Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 744
I'd trust the numbers from a calibrator more, as long as that calibrator has been taking measurements of the same panel, and can identify what fw made the change.

for all we know these panels just dim over time, or the 2014 models aren't made identical. what I want to see is a measurement made pre fw update, and post fw update with minimal time in between.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12393 of 12417 Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just purchased my 64"F8500 and am looking for correct info on this particular model in terms of break-in and how to do it as well as calibration. This thread is INSANELY long and very hard to filter though to the correct answers. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #12394 of 12417 Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
what happened to your ZT60? I had originally bought the 64PN8500 and had to return it because of the amount of DSE it had. I loved the picture though. 3D was amazing.

That being said, side by side with the ZT60, I didn't really notice too much of an advantage in the brightness of the 8500. The colors, black levels and near perfect screen uniformity made my choice to keep the ZT60 an easy one.

good luck with the panel lottery my man!
huh? panel lottery is for lcd's where different manufacturers supply the panels for a single model. the plasmas have never had this, and especially now(what is there, like 3 plasma plants left in the whole world? haha) there really no chance of getting a panel that any different than anybody else. unless you're talking normal manufacturing variances, which I just haven't heard was an issue before.

it's funny how we each view things differently. I also didn't see a whole lot of difference between the f8500 and zt60 when viewing them either, that's why I bought the f8500 for over a grand less, haha. I think(numbers prove it anyway) the black levels are definitely better on the zt60, being deeper and more stable. but that's the only noticeable advantage to the zt60. I'm actually a bit confused about the 'screen uniformity' comment. I've never seen anything but perfect uniformity on both plasmas.

I would still say the f8500 is noticeably brighter, but in all honesty neither one is anywhere close to dim. if you truly need something brighter than 45-50ftl, you probably shouldn't be wasting your time with this quality of tv anyway. those viewing conditions are too harsh to get the most out of you zt/f8500.

post #12395 of 12417 Old 08-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Again, DSE does not factor into the term Panel Lottery unless it is an LCD set. Please see my previous post, some new members might get confused when using the term Panel Lottery (LCD term) to describe DSE (Panel anomaly) which in this case (plasma set) are unrelated.
Since when is "Panel Lottery" only an LCD phenomenon?

I think buying any flat screen today ( including OLEDs ) will mean you're at the mercy of the "Panel Lottery"
pdogg93 likes this.
post #12396 of 12417 Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi Ph8te, my mistake for using the term "panel lottery" loosely. I am aware now that it means different manufacturers for the same tv. For example when i bought my macbook air, the screen was either manufactured by LG, AOU or Samsung. "Winning" the lottery in this case would be getting the samsung screen.

That being said, there is still an element of luck involved when purchasing a plasma panel. Although it has nothing to do with different manufacturers, you could still end up with a panel riddled with DSE, or have a near perfectly uniform screen.

I know that there are a few members here that have had to return $3k tv's due to screen defects such as DSE. The lottery in this case would be in getting a defect free screen after an exchange.

I just had to clear the air on this matter hahah.
post #12397 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

I think buying any flat screen today ( including OLEDs ) will mean you're at the mercy of the "Panel Lottery"

"Panel Lottery" is a specific term used on the forums to describe something that only occurs with LCDs. It is when manufacturers use different suppliers on their TVs sometimes panel suppliers can differ in the same size and model from a specific maker (such as Samsung). Most all plasmas have panels that are made by the "maker" (Samsung/Samsung, Panasonic/Panasonic) thus there is no lottery in which panel maker you get.

Are you taking a chance regardless of what you buy today sure, but there is a specific meaning to the term Panel Lottery. By using it people may thing there are different suppliers of panels when we know that is not true. We've already have a few instances of people getting confused because this term got used in on of these threads.

There is a reason there are entire there are entire threads in the LCD forum dedicated to this term as people try to find the "best" panels and how to identify them.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
StinDaWg and HLdan like this.
post #12398 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Is the 51 inch of this model a deal at 1800?
post #12399 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

what you are talking about is normal manufacturing variances. and it has nothing to do with flat screens. it is a fact of manufacturing. every product you buy today will have small variances from the manufacturing process.

the 'panel lottery' is above and beyond that. imagine you're buying a car, and in the exact same year and model(and therefore price), you can get one that has a engine made by Honda, or an engine made by kia, or an engine made by some unknown Chinese manufacturer. by using the cheaper Chinese supply, it lowers the price of the vehicle for everybody, but in that kind of situation, it matters a LOT what you get. that's a 'lottery'. because you're paying for the 'kia' motor in a sense, but could luck out and get the Honda motor, or 'lose' the lottery and end up with the Chinese motor.
Ph8te likes this.

post #12400 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
I think it could be lower as the 60" F8500 in London Drugs sells for only $2300, and $500 isn't too much if you'd be getting 60" of plasma goodness anyway. Or maybe its just me.
post #12401 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
I think it could be lower as the 60" F8500 in London Drugs sells for only $2300, and $500 isn't too much if you'd be getting 60" of plasma goodness anyway. Or maybe its just me.

Well the 51 fits the space i have perfectly
post #12402 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman10 View Post
I believe I have found an incompatibility bug with a Denon AVR and a Samsung Plasma TV:

Denon AVR-2313CI
Samsung PN64F8500

With these two pieces of hardware, both running the latest firmware available, there is a major handshake issue. After turning both pieces of equipment on and off, eventually they lose video handshake. It usually takes 1-4 on/off cycles.

Turning Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on the Samsung TV to off does NOT fix the issue, at least not with the latest 1120 firmware.
Usually you have to disconnect all the HDMI cables and/or unplug the AVR to get video handshake back. It can take a few tries and it’s quite frustrating.

On 8/26/14 I contacted Denon Tech Support by phone and the agent placed me on hold, and when he returned he had me turn off Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) on the Samsung TV. When that didn’t work, he said “there is a setting somewhere on the TV that the AVR doesn’t like…” and suggested I contact Samsung Tech Support to find which setting needed to be changed.

I contacted Samsung Tech Support and after troubleshooting he took my name, email and phone and said I would be contacted within two business days.
Is there ANYONE with this identical hardware that has experienced this issue and found a solution???

I also have an Oppo BDP-103, Apple TV, X-BOX 360 and Roku 3 connected to the AVR via HDMI cables.

Thanks!

Byrdman
I don't have the exact same setup, but it's pretty darn close. I have an AVR-3313CI with a PN64F8500 and an OPPO BDP-103. MY F8500 is about a month old and I believe I was experiencing the same (or a very similar) handshaking issue as the one you described. In my case it happened very rarely, but I did notice that I sometimes would lose video signal for a second or two. Audio was always fine. In fact the first couple of times it happened, it didn't even register. It wasn't until I became conscious of the top banner flashing the display resolution that it sunk in.

In any event, what worked for me was turning off the HDMI-CEC setting before turning off the TV, then unplugging the back of the TV for a couple of minutes, followed by unplugging and replugging the HDMI cables before finally plugging back into the TV. I did this a couple of weeks ago and it has not happened since. I wasn't aware there is a (reported) specific issue between the Denon and the Samsung. I followed the above steps after doing a general Google search about handshaking errors. I wanted to rule out a handshaking problem since the TV was new, and I was concerned about possibly having to exchange or service it.
post #12403 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
No, not to mention that's way too small for the price.
post #12404 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

The 65 inch is still over 3k.
post #12405 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Supplies are starting to dry up and we'll soon have the retailers telling customers wanting a Samsung Plasma - take it at the price quoted, or the next guy in line will. (And don't forget those people who are stocking up with the idea of making a nice profit when the Samsungs are no longer available.)
post #12406 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well, my unit gave me a little scare last night: I was watching netflix when the TV popped and the picture froze. I waited about 30 seconds and then tried to turn it off, but it wouldn't power off. The power light just rapidly flashed every time I pressed the power button on the remote.

After another minute or so I decided to unplug it and wait 30 seconds. After I plugged it back in everything was fine again (I watched for a few more hours). It definitely made me hold my breath though.

I own a note 3, so I know how wonky Samsung software can be, and I assume it was a software lockup. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
post #12407 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
Well, my unit gave me a little scare last night: I was watching netflix when the TV popped and the picture froze. I waited about 30 seconds and then tried to turn it off, but it wouldn't power off. The power light just rapidly flashed every time I pressed the power button on the remote.

After another minute or so I decided to unplug it and wait 30 seconds. After I plugged it back in everything was fine again (I watched for a few more hours). It definitely made me hold my breath though.

I own a note 3, so I know how wonky Samsung software can be, and I assume it was a software lockup. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
I haven't noticed anything like that, but I don't use Smarthub. Definitely could be a software lockup or some hiccup on the internet that caused the tv to freeze. That happens at times on my computer with the browser.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #12408 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bullsh*t Cookie Cutter Response from Samsung Online Support:

Dear Byrdman,

We appreciate you contacting Samsung Electronics and being a valued customer.

This is in regards to your recent interaction with one of the Live chat associate with the Chat ID XXXXX regarding the Hand shake between the TV and the Denon AVR.

Turn off both the TV and the Denon AVR. Turn on the TV and wait for 15 to 20 seconds and turn on the Denon AVR.
Turn off both the devices again and turn on the Denon AVR and wait for 15 seconds and turn on the TV and check whether the same issue persists.

If the issue still persists, let us try to reset the TV to the factory defaults. Please be noted that resetting the TV will reset all the settings of the TV to the factory defaults. You can follow the steps from the link below to reset the TV. Please copy and paste the link in any browser to open the link.

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...PN64F8500AFXZA

The PN64F8500AFXZA is a latest model TV and the TV is HDCP compliant. If the issue persists even after resetting the TV, it might be due to any compatibility issue between the two devices.

Samsung values you as a customer and want to insure that we have provided you with the answer you were looking for. If for any reason the information we provided did not resolve your issue, we have various contact channels that are available to assist in resolving your concern.

For Immediate assistance with a live agent, you can chat with us <a href=http://goo.gl/H0uf0>here</a>
For support by phone, you can reach us at 1-800-SAMSUNG
Samsung’s Social Media Team is available to assist with providing up-to-date information or answering
questions 9AM to 10PM EST (Mon – Fri).
Visit us on <a href=https://www.facebook.com/#!/samsungsupport >Facebook</a>
Visit us on <a href=http://twitter.com/#!/samsungsupport >Twitter </a>

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
Samsung Online Support.
Reply, Reply All or Forward | Mo

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103

Panasonic TC-P65S60
Denon AVR-1911

Last edited by Byrdman10; Yesterday at 12:59 PM. Reason: Typo
post #12409 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post

I don't recall the exact circumstances, but almost a year ago(and not once since) my tv became unresponsive and I had to either turn it off with the control on the back, or unplug it, I honestly don't remember. once turned back on it was fine.

guess this is the downside of everything becoming more and more computer like. we're going to have to get used to 'restarting' things to fix random problems

post #12410 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman10 View Post
Bullsh*t Cookie Cutter Response from Samsung Online Support:

Dear Byrdman,

We appreciate you contacting Samsung Electronics and being a valued customer.

This is in regards to your recent interaction with one of the Live chat associate with the Chat ID XXXXX regarding the Hand shake between the TV and the Denon AVR.

Turn off both the TV and the Denon AVR. Turn on the TV and wait for 15 to 20 seconds and turn on the Denon AVR.
Turn off both the devices again and turn on the Denon AVR and wait for 15 seconds and turn on the TV and check whether the same issue persists.

If the issue still persists, let us try to reset the TV to the factory defaults. Please be noted that resetting the TV will reset all the settings of the TV to the factory defaults. You can follow the steps from the link below to reset the TV. Please copy and paste the link in any browser to open the link.

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...PN64F8500AFXZA

The PN64F8500AFXZA is a latest model TV and the TV is HDCP compliant. If the issue persists even after resetting the TV, it might be due to any compatibility issue between the two devices.

Samsung values you as a customer and want to insure that we have provided you with the answer you were looking for. If for any reason the information we provided did not resolve your issue, we have various contact channels that are available to assist in resolving your concern.

For Immediate assistance with a live agent, you can chat with us <a href=http://goo.gl/H0uf0>here</a>
For support by phone, you can reach us at 1-800-SAMSUNG
Samsung’s Social Media Team is available to assist with providing up-to-date information or answering
questions 9AM to 10PM EST (Mon – Fri).
Visit us on <a href=https://www.facebook.com/#!/samsungsupport >Facebook</a>
Visit us on <a href=http://twitter.com/#!/samsungsupport >Twitter </a>

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
Samsung Online Support.
Reply, Reply All or Forward | Mo

to be fair, maybe you should be contacting denon about this too? I seem to recall(from doing a bit of pre-buying research about 3-4yrs ago) denon receivers having a lot of handshake issues. it was one reason I ended up with a pioneer receiver instead of the denon

post #12411 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Talking

I bought my PN64F8500 brand new for $1800 a week ago. The MRT (hours used) was 0 and everything was in original packaging. Is that a good deal?
Damien Inferno likes this.
post #12412 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
to be fair, maybe you should be contacting denon about this too? I seem to recall(from doing a bit of pre-buying research about 3-4yrs ago) denon receivers having a lot of handshake issues. it was one reason I ended up with a pioneer receiver instead of the denon
It seems logical if the problem is only happening with Denons then it's the Denons that have the issue. I haven't seen the problem though with my Denon AVR1909.
post #12413 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Kawon View Post
I bought my PN64F8500 brand new for $1800 a week ago. The MRT (hours used) was 0 and everything was in original packaging. Is that a good deal?
Damn good deal, but it should've been posted in the plasma deals thread with where you got it at that price. No price talk in this thread (see title).
post #12414 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Quote:
The 65 inch is still over 3k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Quote:
Well the 51 fits the space i have perfectly
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Supplies are starting to dry up and we'll soon have the retailers telling customers wanting a Samsung Plasma - take it at the price quoted, or the next guy in line will. (And don't forget those people who are stocking up with the idea of making a nice profit when the Samsungs are no longer available.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
Damn good deal, but it should've been posted in the plasma deals thread with where you got it at that price. No price talk in this thread (see title).
My bad, I saw others talking of price here. I am new to this forum. I will go post and brag there instead.
post #12415 of 12417 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
It seems logical if the problem is only happening with Denons then it's the Denons that have the issue. I haven't seen the problem though with my Denon AVR1909.

from what I remember, it's denon PLUS Samsung. either one seems to be ok on its own.

I had a Samsung plasma at the time, and the reports of POSSIBLE issues was a swaying factor.

I still think the f8500 is one of the less stable hdmi devices I've had. when I first got it, it seemed to 'reconnect' quite often. wouldn't be such a big deal, but that stupid info bar that drops down is like 1/3rd of the screen, so it's hard to ignore. for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to do this anymore, could be fw updates helped.

post #12416 of 12417 Old Today, 03:24 AM

Liked: 10
Please see my original post.

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103

Panasonic TC-P65S60
Denon AVR-1911
post #12417 of 12417 Old Today, 07:16 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Kawon View Post
Freakin Amazing Deal!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page