Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 414 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12391 of 12394 Old Today, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
I had them both side by side in the same openly lit room. I agree the F8500 is brighter, and perhaps it was maybe just my particular panel, but the ZT60 held its own. Once the room was blacked out, there was no contest. It really sounds like firmware updates have toned down the F8500's max brightness.
Well thank goodness if that's really true because at it's brightest point my F8500 is super bright and I can't watch it at that setting and I keep windows exposed in my home. It's the perfect set for someone who keeps an abundance of light in their home. I'll have to say this, I just purchased my F8500 and maybe the one you had was the made in 2013 and had different firmware. The newer F8500's have a newer firmware number from the 2013's.

Honestly, I'm not even certain this alleged firmware update that's being said to have reduced the brightness on the F8500 is true or not and if it is true it certainly didn't have the negative effect that some people are making it out to be. I think it's quite overblown. I have a 2012 Panasonic Plasma with THX Brightroom setting and it is very watchable at that setting but certainly not the best PQ and certainly not the brightest for high ambient lit rooms. My new F8500 is incredibly brighter.

No disrespect to Chad B but I think it's better to let the actual owners of the F8500 speak about the brightness of it rather than going by numbers from a calibrator. I've noticed the numbers keep changing often depending on who's posting them.

Last edited by HLdan; Today at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12394 Old Today, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 737
I'd trust the numbers from a calibrator more, as long as that calibrator has been taking measurements of the same panel, and can identify what fw made the change.

for all we know these panels just dim over time, or the 2014 models aren't made identical. what I want to see is a measurement made pre fw update, and post fw update with minimal time in between.
HLdan likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12393 of 12394 Old Today, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased my 64"F8500 and am looking for correct info on this particular model in terms of break-in and how to do it as well as calibration. This thread is INSANELY long and very hard to filter though to the correct answers. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #12394 of 12394 Old Today, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
what happened to your ZT60? I had originally bought the 64PN8500 and had to return it because of the amount of DSE it had. I loved the picture though. 3D was amazing.

That being said, side by side with the ZT60, I didn't really notice too much of an advantage in the brightness of the 8500. The colors, black levels and near perfect screen uniformity made my choice to keep the ZT60 an easy one.

good luck with the panel lottery my man!
huh? panel lottery is for lcd's where different manufacturers supply the panels for a single model. the plasmas have never had this, and especially now(what is there, like 3 plasma plants left in the whole world? haha) there really no chance of getting a panel that any different than anybody else. unless you're talking normal manufacturing variances, which I just haven't heard was an issue before.

it's funny how we each view things differently. I also didn't see a whole lot of difference between the f8500 and zt60 when viewing them either, that's why I bought the f8500 for over a grand less, haha. I think(numbers prove it anyway) the black levels are definitely better on the zt60, being deeper and more stable. but that's the only noticeable advantage to the zt60. I'm actually a bit confused about the 'screen uniformity' comment. I've never seen anything but perfect uniformity on both plasmas.

I would still say the f8500 is noticeably brighter, but in all honesty neither one is anywhere close to dim. if you truly need something brighter than 45-50ftl, you probably shouldn't be wasting your time with this quality of tv anyway. those viewing conditions are too harsh to get the most out of you zt/f8500.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page