Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 415 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12421 of 12432 Old 08-29-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
All plasmas will look like dark grey compared to an OLED since they can do true 0 blacks.
I don't know if I would go quite that far. The OLED is darker but the plasma gets pretty black as well.

Certain scenes of Tron: Legacy are letterboxed (the movie goes back and forth between full screen and LB) and the blacks in many scenes were indistinguishable from the black borders, which in turn blended nicely into my darkened basement. Ex. - There's a series of scenes in which Jeff Bridges and the two kids move about his "apartment" and the blacks really melt into the borders while the silvers and whites stand out brightly in incredibly crisp detail. Pretty impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12422 of 12432 Old 08-29-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
It will be dark but no where near OLED dark. All plasmas will look like dark grey compared to an OLED since they can do true 0 blacks. If you can wait I would (personally) the next year may be very promising for OLED. You need to decide how long you are willing to wait for that OLED goodness

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
^^agreed. it's very good with almost any kind of content on screen, but I've NEVER had to check whether it was on or not, like I used to have to with my crt rptv.

I'm very please with the purchase, and I will continue to use the f8500 for many many years. but if you don't NEED a new tv this year or maybe even next, I'd wait for oled.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12423 of 12432 Old 08-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
Is the 51 inch of this model a deal at 1800?
Not really… that's MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) plus tax! Look for one on craigslist and then ask to see if you can check it out at the person's home. I got an almost new one, had about 370 hours and everything was intact. I got it for $1,350 after he wanted almost $1,500.

Good luck…
post #12424 of 12432 Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Newbies - Do you or do you not read English!

What part of `NO STREET PRICE TALK' are Posters not understanding?
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #12425 of 12432 Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I don't know if I would go quite that far. The OLED is darker but the plasma gets pretty black as well.

Certain scenes of Tron: Legacy are letterboxed (the movie goes back and forth between full screen and LB) and the blacks in many scenes were indistinguishable from the black borders, which in turn blended nicely into my darkened basement. Ex. - There's a series of scenes in which Jeff Bridges and the two kids move about his "apartment" and the blacks really melt into the borders while the silvers and whites stand out brightly in incredibly crisp detail. Pretty impressive.

I never said it wasn't good, compared to OLED however when viewed side by side you WILL see dark grey vs OLED black. I'm aware of how good T:L looks it's just not as good as it looks on an OLED in a dark room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
People forget it all of the time

post #12426 of 12432 Old 08-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Sorry, I was just responding to the earlier post.
post #12427 of 12432 Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
It will be dark but no where near OLED dark. All plasmas will look like dark grey compared to an OLED since they can do true 0 blacks. If you can wait I would (personally) the next year may be very promising for OLED. You need to decide how long you are willing to wait for that OLED goodness

I believe that is what I'm going to do. Thanks for the help.

fdsfds
post #12428 of 12432 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
I don't see the moderators stepping in, so what's the problem? Perhaps you should read the forum rules yourself. Since AVSforum is no longer owned by a store, there is no restriction against discussing prices, street or otherwise. The note in the thread title is from a bygone era when AVSforum was owned by a store and understandably the rules did not allow discussion of street prices.

BTW, I paid $2635 (before tax) for my 64".
StinDaWg and CoCo Kawon like this.
post #12429 of 12432 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I don't see the moderators stepping in, so what's the problem? Perhaps you should read the forum rules yourself. Since AVSforum is no longer owned by a store, there is no restriction against discussing prices, street or otherwise. The note in the thread title is from a bygone era when AVSforum was owned by a store and understandably the rules did not allow discussion of street prices.

It's called `Common Courtesy!' There's a Forum for F8500 Pricing bragging rights! These discussions are for why people should, or should not purchase the F8500 Units - pluses and minuses. And any other info for current, or for potential future purchasers to gain knowledge on the F8500s series of Samsung Plasmas.
post #12430 of 12432 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
It's called `Common Courtesy!'
Right, and you don't seem to be showing it to the new members who posted to talk F8500. A post here or there that mention price isn't going to bury information in the thread any more than the other 12429 posts.
CoCo Kawon likes this.
post #12431 of 12432 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Well, there is a subforum specifically for this purpose. You are right that a few posts with price talk isn't doing much harm, but then others respond to these posts and more respond to those. Currently there are 1150 posts in the F8500 pricing thread in the subforum. Add those here and consider that there would likely be more price discussion from those following this thread who don't go to the Great Found Deals thread.

What's the harm in separating price talk from this thread? Or should we have just one giant F8500 thread with all of the discussion, pricing, settings, and bugs posts together and let everyone slog through to find the posts relevant to them?
post #12432 of 12432 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
Well, there is a subforum specifically for this purpose. You are right that a few posts with price talk isn't doing much harm, but then others respond to these posts and more respond to those. Currently there are 1150 posts in the F8500 pricing thread in the subforum. Add those here and consider that there would likely be more price discussion from those following this thread who don't go to the Great Found Deals thread.

What's the harm in separating price talk from this thread? Or should we have just one giant F8500 thread with all of the discussion, pricing, settings, and bugs posts together and let everyone slog through to find the posts relevant to them?
No offense to this forum or anyone on it, but its pretty hard to navigate it as a newbie. The forum feels like its from the early 2000's. So maybe easing up on us new guys that are trying to get the flow of the forum might be nice.

I haven't been on the forum more than a week now and I've heard it from several people and I had no idea about the unsaid "rule" of no price talk. I now see it on the thread topic, but didn't notice it at first when I responded to a random post. To be honest, reading it from this side of the internet it seems pretty rude and after several times hearing it almost made me not want to come back.

I admit when I first got on here I posted a lot about the price I got it at because I was so excited and wanted to share for others to keep an eye out. I've already help another user get a great deal from the same place since I've been talking about it. That makes me feel pretty good, because personally I've been keeping an eye out on prices on this TV for a year now and the reason for me talking about price was to let others know to keep an eye out, because there are deals out there.

From now on I will try to follow the dead reseller's rules of no price talk.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page