Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 416 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12451 of 12456 Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The pros at the VE shootout even stated the difference in black levels between the F8500 and the OLED were quite noticeable especially with low contrast or black test patterns.
Newbie question for those of us Late To The Party: Sure, you want blacks to be black, but is it THAT critical to watching most movies ? How many scenes are really impacted by a mediocre vs. an outstanding black ?

I think the standard when HDTV first came out was the tunnel scenes in "THE ROCK". I think they said that the people kind of bled into the walls if you didn't have good blacks on your set.

OK, I get that. But how long in most movies do you have that tough a contrast to see ?

And are deep blacks anywhere near as important when watching regular TV or sports, let alone the majority of movies which aren't like DEATHLY HALLOWS (never seen it) or The Batman DARK KNIGHT movies or THE ROCK ??

The only other advantage I can think of is this grainy-film appearance that some movies/TV shows appear in -- like "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA" a few years ago -- might need good blacks.

Don't get me wrong, I want good colors for all including black, but the obsession with super-perfect blacks relative to motion lag, response time, picture sharpness, etc., always baffled me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12452 of 12456 Old Today, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Didn't a famous car designer (Shelby, iirc) say something to the effect of:

"I don't give a *multilple expletives* about whether a car can drive 170, 180, or 200. Just tell me how fast it gets from 1-100"

How well a TV moves from black to white is probably more important than how completely dark or light it can get.
post #12453 of 12456 Old Today, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Newbie question for those of us Late To The Party: Sure, you want blacks to be black, but is it THAT critical to watching most movies ? How many scenes are really impacted by a mediocre vs. an outstanding black ?

I think the standard when HDTV first came out was the tunnel scenes in "THE ROCK". I think they said that the people kind of bled into the walls if you didn't have good blacks on your set.

OK, I get that. But how long in most movies do you have that tough a contrast to see ?

And are deep blacks anywhere near as important when watching regular TV or sports, let alone the majority of movies which aren't like DEATHLY HALLOWS (never seen it) or The Batman DARK KNIGHT movies or THE ROCK ??

The only other advantage I can think of is this grainy-film appearance that some movies/TV shows appear in -- like "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA" a few years ago -- might need good blacks.

Don't get me wrong, I want good colors for all including black, but the obsession with super-perfect blacks relative to motion lag, response time, picture sharpness, etc., always baffled me.
All else being equal, better black levels contribute to a better overall picture. It's not just a matter of wanting actual blacks to look, well, black. Think of your display's ability to render black as the canvas upon which the rest of the picture is placed. The better the black level, the better the canvas.

In the real world, better MLL translates to better contrast, which allows for a more dimensional, natural, "3D" looking picture. The worse your black levels, the more washed out your picture will appear, even while displaying bright content. Obviously you want a well-balanced picture, but a display with perfect colors, motion, sharpness, etc, but a poor contrast ratio, is not going to look very impressive.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #12454 of 12456 Old Today, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Not trying to be funny, but have you tried changing the batteries in the remote? Weak batteries can sometimes cause remotes to act weird.
The actual TV remote is in a drawer, not sure if it even has batteries in it or not. I guess I'll check that tonight. I use a Harmony universal remote which I wouldn't expect that to happen with. Thanks.
post #12455 of 12456 Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

personally, I hate seeing the tv. so I want blacks as deep as possible so that the image on screen is not framed by a dark grey screen.

but as for the image itself, I understand wanting better motion, but other than that, I think a lack of 'true black' is the biggest problem to fix, so that's why it gets the most attention.

I would say the ONLY content not severely affected by black levels is cartoons. everything else looks obviously different to me on a display with good black levels vs one with poor blacks.
StinDaWg likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12456 of 12456 Old Today, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The VE Shootout is pretty cool, would you say its the top place to look for the best results, the "GOLD STANDARD"?

I see that the 64F8500 has won both 2013 and 2014 (the first TV EVER to do so). Pretty cool.

Any suggestions for the best calibrations for the 64F8500? bright and dark room as well as 3D. PC?

I just got my 64f8500 and it is now broke in and I am ready to start playing with the settings, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page