Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 418 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I've been running a pair of these for almost 3yrs now: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX26907

originally the plan was to use one for my 'front of the room electronics' including the tv, receiver, and game consoles, and one of the 'back of the room electronics', projector, HTPC...

they have been awesome, and have definitely saved me from losing my spot in a game, or work I hadn't saved on the pc. BUT, the 1000VA was not enough for the 64" f8500. when I first got the tv, I thought it had the dreaded 'buzz' because when a bright scene came on I heard this super annoying high pitched electrical buzz. I tried messing with settings and eventually realized it was the UPS behind the tv making the noise. when the tv is drawing max current, it's too much for the UPS to handle. now it might be JUST enough if the tv was the only thing plugged in, I'm not sure, but it's definitely not what I would consider a comfortable fit. my plan now is to get a 1500VA version for the front, give the projector its own dedicated ups, and the htpc which has grown since will get its own UPS. a bit overkill, but I don't really have any better place for the extra 1000VA ups, so why not.

anyway, I would recommend going with something larger, at LEAST 1000VA if the tv will be the only thing on the battery protected side. but moving up to 1500VA is smart imo. then you can plug in a couple other sources if needed, and be fully protected. I had my game console lose power one time while saving years ago, and it erased ALL the save data I had. it was a bit of a major blow actually. many of the games I had save data for I haven't played since. stuff like guitar hero where you have unlocked all the songs suddenly just becomes frustrating to start over
You just hit the nail on the head about the Game Console. My PS4 doesn't like when the power is shut off without shutting it down first. I will look into the 1500VA for my 648500. Appreciate that. I knew I should've looked into these a while back. I ignored the advice about getting one long ago. I will consider one now. Have too much to lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
how come?
Because you want to give surges a way into your system via the unprotected printer.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Because you want to give surges a way into your system via the unprotected printer.
The only time a laser printer is hard on the UPS, is when the heater element comes on. (This would kick the UPS Off, and anything plugged into it.) Laser Standby mode hardly draws any amperage, and will be running cool. In all the years I've had a laser printer, I've never had issues with it plugged into the wall. But, then again, it's never been running during a power surge, nor power down, power up situation. (Luck of the draw.) Any one of my TV and Stereo systems have at one time or another.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung Plasma F8500 - wifi problem

I have another issue in my Plasma. i have wi fi network and tv's wi fi reception is ok working fine. because of week signal i put wi fi extender recently. all of my other devices can connect to new extended wi fi network but Samsung TV does not connect. samsung manual says that it does not do i need to set manual IP settings rather automatically?. my Repeater is Dlink DIR 505. how do i setup new wi fi?.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 197
they came out and replaced my panel today..under warranty

all seems good

no vertical lines

Warren
Ph8te, Denniswrly and DanF8500 like this.

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 09-30-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

all seems good

no vertical lines

Warren
Warren, did you have the DSE (dirty screen effect) issue or some other problem with vertical lines/banding?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahighland View Post
Warren, did you have the DSE (dirty screen effect) issue or some other problem with vertical lines/banding?
it had 4 small vertical lines down the screen towards the right side

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
Warren
Amazing that it is worth a screen swap, you would think they would just replace the whole set.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Amazing that it is worth a screen swap, you would think they would just replace the whole set.
IME...as this is the 2nd Samsung Tv that has had a panel replaced under warranty

They will replace one panel under warranty
If there are issues with that panel they will then replace the TV....been there done that

Warren

Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello all,
I am on the fence about purchasing a 60"F8500. I am coming from an almost 7 year old 60" Panny PZ700u first 1080P panel. How much has the technology improved on the Sammy? Is it worth the upgrade? I just went to BB Magnolia to look at it and they only had a 51" and it was not calibrated. It is really hard to tell how good the set is when it is surrounded by 4K panels blazing lights. Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 10-02-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello all,
I am on the fence about purchasing a 60"F8500. I am coming from an almost 7 year old 60" Panny PZ700u first 1080P panel. How much has the technology improved on the Sammy? Is it worth the upgrade? I just went to BB Magnolia to look at it and they only had a 51" and it was not calibrated. It is really hard to tell how good the set is when it is surrounded by 4K panels blazing lights. Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff
Hi there. I haven't been on this site for a long time since I had been enjoying my 65 inch ST30 panny plasma the last few years. That is until a lightning strike near my house blew out my A board and who knows what else.

Well to my surprise I found out Panasonic had stopped making Plasmas last year and Samsung would be this year. I went to ABT Electronics and after debating bought me a 65 inch 4k sony xbr 850 LCD...and that lasted all of two days. I'm sorry to the LCD fans but I just couldn't force myself to keep it. I watch tv from 9 to 11 feet out and while the 4K was cool it didn't blow me away enough to accept all of the LCD flaws.

I had seen the Samsung F8500 in the store but was kind of sold into the, 4K. I took the 4K back and dealt with the store on the Samsung. Had it delivered and as soon as I turned it on I knew this was it for me. With the LCD I already knew it was going back the moment I turned it on at night.

The F8500 is a thing of beauty. To me what this TV offers is worth way more than 4K. Now if they had come out with a 4K plasma display I would have been in heaven.

And I haven't even started messing with the "Smart" features. But tonight while I was watching football the tv asked me if ai wanted to start the sports app and log into my yahoo fantasy football account. When I did I was able to track the scores from the leagues and the all the info for the game itself. Yards drives and TDs. All while watching the game.

So to summarize cause I know I rambled a bit...the F8500 rocks!
psgcdn, HLdan, Tiki Steve and 1 others like this.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks Collosus,
I am currently waiting for the delivery of my new 60" F8500. I bit the Bullet yesterday. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get it. Question did you put the TV through a breakin period? I remember I had to keep all my pic levels down for 100 hrs when I got my first Plazma.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks Collosus,
I am currently waiting for the delivery of my new 60" F8500. I bit the Bullet yesterday. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get it. Question did you put the TV through a breakin period? I remember I had to keep all my pic levels down for 100 hrs when I got my first Plazma.

Regards,
Jeff

I'am breaking mine in nice and easy....For HDTV viewing I use standard mode with Eco - High and ON.

This keeps the contrast real low for tv shows that have a lot of icons and text.

Then for blu -ray I put it in Cinema default (eco off) but make sure to zoom any 2.40 aspect ratio movies for the first couple of hundred hours.
KONICA TECH likes this.

Sony 55XBR900B w/Sub
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
for what it's worth, when I got mine, I adjusted settings to what I felt were 'correct', not lowered beyond that(so contrast was at 95 I think). I did run some slides at night for about a week to speed things up. but really the only precaution I took was I avoided using the tv with my PC for a couple hundred hours. I really believe this is one of the most ir resistant plasmas ever made. or maybe it's just bright enough to hide the ir better than the rest, haha.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 10-06-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Hello all,
I am on the fence about purchasing a 60"F8500. I am coming from an almost
Jeff
With the recent price drops I assume you are over the fence ??
Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Guess im joining the club. Got a local store to do $1749 on a brand new 60".
Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a 64F8500 now that the prices dropped. I assume any NIB sets (from one of the authorized, major retailers) would come with the 2014 Evo kit stuff already on board ?? Any way to tell for sure from what's printed on the box ?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post
Thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a 64F8500 now that the prices dropped. I assume any NIB sets (from one of the authorized, major retailers) would come with the 2014 Evo kit stuff already on board ?? Any way to tell for sure from what's printed on the box ?
Im betting the current models are exactly the same software wise as the original models.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD2 View Post

No, they wouldn't. If you want the new interface and added benefit of the Evo kit you will have to purchase one. There are no major differences that we know of outside of build date between 2013 builds and 2014 builds. Remember it's not a new 2014 set, but a "carryover" from last year.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 112
A few quick questions for F8500 owners that may have also hand an opportunity for a lengthy comparison with Panasonic's recent plasmas.

I have a 50ST60. I only have three problems (more like minor issues) with the set: It seems more prone to IR than I expected (no burn in (and I don't expect to ever have any but it's still a bit odd), I see rainbows on it, and I don't like the minor uniformity issues that pop up on my panel with the ABL kicks in on bright content (I was prepared for a potential strobe effect with ABL but this seems worse IMO). 95% of the time the pictures WOWS me, but I want to leave no stone unturned for that remaining 5% before plasma goes poof so I'm considering a F8500.

My only experience with a Samsung plasma was a 4500....It had no IR under similar use and I didn't see any rainbows. And the uniformity seemed perfect. Based on what I can tell Samsung's approach to plasma seems to avoid the issues I'm troubled by on the Panny at the possible expense of slightly higher black levels. Is this a fair summary? I realize there is no perfect display and that you can't tell me what my eyes will see...I'm just curious to see if owners would say my impressions captures the gist of the comparison.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Netflix 5.1 over optical out?

I've just set up a new 60" F8500, replacing an 8 year old Pio 42" 720p plasma.

My receiver is too old for ARC (Pio SC-07 with HDMI 1.3a), so I need to use optical for return audio from the Netflix, HBOGo and other apps. I can get 5.1 out from HBOGo, but on Netflix, content with 5.1 only comes through as stereo.

Before I go too far down the rabbit hole, I just wanted to confirm that the Netflix app can output 5.1 over the optical output and it's not a limitation of the app itself.

Loving the TV so far -- it's so much bigger than the previous set that I'm still a bit overwhelmed just turning watching 1080p content. Blacklist on Netflix looks amazing... just wish I had surround sound to go with it!

Thanks,
Gerald

Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

1st things 1st you made sure you selected the 5.1 track for Netflix right?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
1st things 1st you made sure you selected the 5.1 track for Netflix right?

My only choice of audio track for Netflix shows/movies that advertise 5.1 in their descriptions is Stereo.

Sound settings for the TV are Speaker Select = External Speaker and Digital Audio Out = Dolby Digital. Receiver is getting Dolby Digital from the TV, but just the stereo audio track.

HBOGo programming with 5.1 audio tracks is sent as Dolby Digital 5.1, so I know the TV can provide surround over the optical cable. I also played an episode of Breaking Bad from Amazon Instant Video with 5.1 audio. I just can't figure out why Netflix isn't even giving me the option for shows and movies that have a 5.1 audio track.

Gerald

Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlavkalash View Post
My only choice of audio track for Netflix shows/movies that advertise 5.1 in their descriptions is Stereo.

Sound settings for the TV are Speaker Select = External Speaker and Digital Audio Out = Dolby Digital. Receiver is getting Dolby Digital from the TV, but just the stereo audio track.

HBOGo programming with 5.1 audio tracks is sent as Dolby Digital 5.1, so I know the TV can provide surround over the optical cable. I also played an episode of Breaking Bad from Amazon Instant Video with 5.1 audio. I just can't figure out why Netflix isn't even giving me the option for shows and movies that have a 5.1 audio track.

Gerald

Sounds almost like a NetFlix app or account issue. Maybe try removing then re adding the app? You might need to try a reset of the TV as well. Just remember if you do a reset to copy your settings in case you lose them.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So sad Samsung will stop making plasma
Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
So sad Samsung will stop making plasma
I cried for days when I heard the news.
I WANT MORE and MK1980 like this.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I cried for days when I heard the news.

I feel your pain
Old 10-16-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Sounds almost like a NetFlix app or account issue. Maybe try removing then re adding the app? You might need to try a reset of the TV as well. Just remember if you do a reset to copy your settings in case you lose them.

Netflix is one of the core apps, so I don't think it can be removed. Instead, I reset Smart Hub to defaults and went back through the setup, entering my Netflix account info on first launch. It still only offers stereo.

I don't think it's worth it to try to reset the whole TV. I can fake surround in my receiver with Dolby ProLogicII processing.

I don't watch that much Netflix, outside of Kids programs with my 4 year old. I just was putting a new piece of gear through its paces.

Thanks for your help!
Gerald

Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
How bad is the sound coming out of the display's speakers?
I have a surround system, but wife only uses it 20% of the time.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
How bad is the sound coming out of the display's speakers?
In my opinion, AWFUL. Tinny. Volume must be 60 or higer to hear anything.

This is expected because the panel does not have enough depth to contain a decent speaker.

I use headphones, but if multiple people watched the set, I'd buy a Sammy soundbar.
dsskid likes this.

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv