Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 418 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12511 of 12514 Old 09-14-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Laser printers on average, suck 500 Watts, almost the capacity of the UPS. Now you add in everything else - poof!
had no idea! so this is more about protecting the UPS then?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 12514 Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I've been running a pair of these for almost 3yrs now: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX26907

originally the plan was to use one for my 'front of the room electronics' including the tv, receiver, and game consoles, and one of the 'back of the room electronics', projector, HTPC...

they have been awesome, and have definitely saved me from losing my spot in a game, or work I hadn't saved on the pc. BUT, the 1000VA was not enough for the 64" f8500. when I first got the tv, I thought it had the dreaded 'buzz' because when a bright scene came on I heard this super annoying high pitched electrical buzz. I tried messing with settings and eventually realized it was the UPS behind the tv making the noise. when the tv is drawing max current, it's too much for the UPS to handle. now it might be JUST enough if the tv was the only thing plugged in, I'm not sure, but it's definitely not what I would consider a comfortable fit. my plan now is to get a 1500VA version for the front, give the projector its own dedicated ups, and the htpc which has grown since will get its own UPS. a bit overkill, but I don't really have any better place for the extra 1000VA ups, so why not.

anyway, I would recommend going with something larger, at LEAST 1000VA if the tv will be the only thing on the battery protected side. but moving up to 1500VA is smart imo. then you can plug in a couple other sources if needed, and be fully protected. I had my game console lose power one time while saving years ago, and it erased ALL the save data I had. it was a bit of a major blow actually. many of the games I had save data for I haven't played since. stuff like guitar hero where you have unlocked all the songs suddenly just becomes frustrating to start over
You just hit the nail on the head about the Game Console. My PS4 doesn't like when the power is shut off without shutting it down first. I will look into the 1500VA for my 648500. Appreciate that. I knew I should've looked into these a while back. I ignored the advice about getting one long ago. I will consider one now. Have too much to lose.
post #12513 of 12514 Old 09-15-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
how come?
Because you want to give surges a way into your system via the unprotected printer.
post #12514 of 12514 Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Because you want to give surges a way into your system via the unprotected printer.
The only time a laser printer is hard on the UPS, is when the heater element comes on. (This would kick the UPS Off, and anything plugged into it.) Laser Standby mode hardly draws any amperage, and will be running cool. In all the years I've had a laser printer, I've never had issues with it plugged into the wall. But, then again, it's never been running during a power surge, nor power down, power up situation. (Luck of the draw.) Any one of my TV and Stereo systems have at one time or another.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page