Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 420 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12571 of 12588 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlavkalash View Post
My only choice of audio track for Netflix shows/movies that advertise 5.1 in their descriptions is Stereo.

Sound settings for the TV are Speaker Select = External Speaker and Digital Audio Out = Dolby Digital. Receiver is getting Dolby Digital from the TV, but just the stereo audio track.

HBOGo programming with 5.1 audio tracks is sent as Dolby Digital 5.1, so I know the TV can provide surround over the optical cable. I also played an episode of Breaking Bad from Amazon Instant Video with 5.1 audio. I just can't figure out why Netflix isn't even giving me the option for shows and movies that have a 5.1 audio track.

Gerald
Can the TV be set to external speakers and 2 channel (PCM) out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 12588 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quick question.

I'm on my second 51F8500 due to a dead pixel. New set seems fine but it makes a slight pop and crackle noise when you turn it on. The screen also flashes momentarily.

Is that normal? I don't remember the previous set doing that.

Last edited by AMartin56; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
post #12573 of 12588 Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Quick question.

I'm on my second 51F8500 due to a dead pixel. New set seems fine but it makes a slight pop and crackle noise when you turn it on. The screen also flashes momentarily.

Is that normal? I don't remember the previous set doing that.
Do you have it hooked up to an A/V system or are you using the TV's sound?
post #12574 of 12588 Old Today, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
Do you have it hooked up to an A/V system or are you using the TV's sound?
The TV is hooked up to a sound bar via the optical connection.

But the noise is coming from the panel.

When I turn it on the screen is black but then 'sizzles' slightly as the screen flashes to a slightly brighter black screen. During this flash you see a bit of IR from what was last displayed if you are quickly cycling the power (rather than turning it on after it's been sitting for awhile). if the input is dormant (meaning the Blu-ray player is turned off ) it flashes again (but more briefly) in the same fashion with slightly less 'sizzle' before the no signal message pops up. The panel doesn't buzz otherwise.

My first TV definitely didn't do this, and I don't believe this one did it at first either. At this point it has less than twenty hours on it. I probably shouldn't go looking for trouble since the set works normally otherwise. I just worry that this might be the start of an electrical problem.
post #12575 of 12588 Old Today, 03:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
In my humble opinion the 8500 has excellent sound.
Much better than the Panny vt50.
I currently have both those displays and my experience is just the opposite although I have to admit that I haven't run the 8500 on its internal speakers to break them in.

Once I moved my VT50 to the bedroom, it did sound thin for a while until those speakers broke in. I'm still interested in using some external sound on the VT50 mainly because I've got enough nice equipment in storage that I mind as well use.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #12576 of 12588 Old Today, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a video of what my second set looks like when turned on. I couldn't capture the sound it makes but it's just a bit of buzz similar to when full screen white is displayed. My first set didn't do this.

Sorry for the grainy video but I had to keep the file size down.

https://flic.kr/p/prGECs

Is this normal?
post #12577 of 12588 Old Today, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Here is a video of what my second set looks like when turned on. I couldn't capture the sound it makes but it's just a bit of buzz similar to when full screen white is displayed. My first set didn't do this.

Is this normal?
I would say it's not normal since you said the first F8500 you returned for the defective pixel did not do this. I personally have never seen my F8500 do this either.
post #12578 of 12588 Old Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Quote:

Is this normal?

What does your 8500 do when you turn it on with an "active" hdmi signal? Your video shows you turned on your set with an inactive hdmi connection. Typically, my tv is the last component I turn on in the hdmi chain. My cable/DVR, AVR, and Blu-ray player always get powered up first before my tv.

Last edited by DanF8500; Today at 08:43 AM.
post #12579 of 12588 Old Today, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the troubleshooting help.

The set does the same flash when the input is active.

It also does the same thing when I turn the screen off in the menu and then turn it back on.

It might just be my imagination, but the effect seems weaker if the set had been off for awhile but it's still there.
post #12580 of 12588 Old Today, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the last days of Samsung plasmas quickly approaches, I'm still weighing the decision of what I'm going to go with. Had I caught the Walmart $1k deal on the 64" F5300, this would not be a discussion right now. But since I didn't, the debate continues for me.

One question I had after looking at a couple of F8500s in the stores, though. The local HHGreg had an open box (pretty sure it was the 60") sitting on display a couple weekends ago. I turned on the TV and connected Blu-ray player, which played the Transformers sequel. While the black levels and contrast looked amazing, the picture looked very grainy. It stood out on some colors and scenes more than others, but it was there nonetheless. I messed with the settings for a good 5 minutes, but couldn't find anything to take the graininess away. I was rather disappointed, but figured maybe there was something wrong with the unit (being an open box and all).

I was at Fry's yesterday, and the 64" was on display (also with the power off ). I turned it on, and changed it to the HDMI 1 source, which is the feed all the TVs were connected to. Granted, the content wasn't exactly the greatest PQ, the graininess was there again. And again, I played around with the various settings and features, but couldn't find anything that made the graininess go away.

In all honesty, the 8500 series still sits outside of what I'm willing to pay for a TV right now, yet I still can't stop myself from considering it. But now I'm a bit concerned since I noticed this grainy issue on both TVs, regardless of the generic store feed, or the directly connected Blu-ray player feed. Is there something I'm missing in the settings to get rid of this, or is it just the way this display looks?
post #12581 of 12588 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Some of what you are talking about is film grain. I posted in the owners thread last week I think with 2 good links discussing this. The other may be signal feed and how close you were to the TV. The closer you are the more likely you are to see the flaws in the source material. Depending on what size of TV you are used to you may be surprised about just how bad some "feeds" are.

Sent from an system/360
HLdan likes this.
post #12582 of 12588 Old Today, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

I have to turn of my Darbee when watching TF4...the grain on that film slays it. And TF4 looked better on my softer 50ST60. I think with this film the sharpness of the F8500 works against it. All my other blurays look great though. I'll be very satisfied with the F8500 if I can get a working set!
post #12583 of 12588 Old Today, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PN64F8500 usage

Hello. I apologize to everyone if this has been answered within the tread earlier! But, I recently purchased what's supposed to be a brand new F8500 and have some suspicion that maybe it isn't new after all. One way I was going to check was by seeing how many hours that TV shows as being in use (or has been used). I've only had it on for about 10 hours so anything that's more than a few hours over that would be of some concern to my I suppose. Can someone please tell me how to check or see how many hours my TV has been used or been on up until this point? Thanks in advance for your help. -David
post #12584 of 12588 Old Today, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

With the TV on press MUTE 7 3 7 ENTER on the remote. You have to do it pretty quickly....it took me a few tries.

MRT shows the hours on the set. My NIB had a MRT of 2. I assume this is a factory test because the box was sealed. Turn off the TV with the power button on the remote to get rid of the menu and don't mess with anything else in there!
post #12585 of 12588 Old Today, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For those who are just getting these now, does yours have a horizontal band in the middle of the screen? I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to swap for one without one.
post #12586 of 12588 Old Today, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeD1 View Post
Hello. I apologize to everyone if this has been answered within the tread earlier! But, I recently purchased what's supposed to be a brand new F8500 and have some suspicion that maybe it isn't new after all. One way I was going to check was by seeing how many hours that TV shows as being in use (or has been used). I've only had it on for about 10 hours so anything that's more than a few hours over that would be of some concern to my I suppose. Can someone please tell me how to check or see how many hours my TV has been used or been on up until this point? Thanks in advance for your help. -David
A BNIB tv should have had 2 heavy plastic straps surrounding it. My tv had zero minutes on it.
post #12587 of 12588 Old Today, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Some of what you are talking about is film grain. I posted in the owners thread last week I think with 2 good links discussing this. The other may be signal feed and how close you were to the TV. The closer you are the more likely you are to see the flaws in the source material. Depending on what size of TV you are used to you may be surprised about just how bad some "feeds" are.
Are you saying the 8500 series brings this out more on pictures? Because the graininess wasn't there on the surrounding TVs, including the H5000 just 2 or 3 TVs down from it. I know the feeds and content aren't the greatest at stores, but I'm saying the 8500 was displaying a graininess that none of the other TVs showed with the same feed, and on the 1st TV, the feed was from a Blu-ray player connected directly to only that TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page