Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 422 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12631 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks sarends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12632 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Tapered what back to 45? Tx.

The "color" setting. Most leave it at the default of 50. 50 to my eyes is a little too saturated. I prefer a more realistic color, and reduced it to 45.
post #12633 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by vultur View Post
IMO, it's a hassle to return a beastly plasma simply because one doesn't like the PQ, which is why I make sure I take stock in the words of those pros whose eyes I trust (seeing it in person is always an additional benefit). Of course that won't prevent defects from surfacing.
We might make purchases based on the pro's eyes but we should not keep something because of that. You should keep it based on what you see with your own eyes see and that is why a good return policy is important to many of us. And that isn't taking into consideration defects once you are past whether or not you like the PQ of something you just purchased for $2,500.

Nothing great about being stuck with a $2,500 purchase you don't like or does not work properly.
post #12634 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Stereodude, way to miss my point. My display is in perfect working condition, and my concern is replacing it with one that seems to have a lot of problems surfacing. Not that another new model is better.

You kissed his point again :/ there are plenty of owners that have had zero problems with their f8500 (just as you do now with your set) the thing is they won't post or only post sporadically. Happy owners usually are busy watching tv. He majority of people who come to forums like these are hear to report and troubleshoot problems not endlessly rave about their TV. Most of the problems just seem to be surfacing because there are a number of new owners.

What Dan was saying is that if you go to the thread dedicated to your TV you'll likely see a number of "problem" posts which you never had to deal with because you have "zero" issues. It's very rare that owners without any issues post here and continue to help out.

Sent from an system/360
post #12635 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
We might make purchases based on the pro's eyes but we should not keep something because of that. You should keep it based on what you see with your own eyes see and that is why a good return policy is important to many of us. And that isn't taking into consideration defects once you are past whether or not you like the PQ of something you just purchased for $2,500.

Nothing great about being stuck with a $2,500 purchase you don't like or does not work properly.
They've yet to steer me wrong, in particular I've relied upon Katzmaier and D-Nice (Kuro, Viera, 9800). You can also get a decent impression at a storefront if need be (assuming the TV is available in your locale of course). A good return policy from a local brick and mortar is the best, and I agree with the other poster who expressed a preference for Best Buy for that reason. In that case, if you've done your research, the only reason for an exchange is a defect 90% of the time (the other 10% coming from dissatisfaction with some parameter of PQ when you get it home of which the odds are small in my experience). I have read through the trials you've experienced with LCDs, including the latest Vizio P, but I would wager your expectations were too high. I went through a similar situation when I was still "blinded by the light" of LCD and still ended up having to settle with a MURA-laden screen after making one exchange of a Samsung edgelit LCD via Amazon (I believe they had a better return policy back then). LCD is not in my vocabulary until a viable Sharp Elite replacement comes along.

Last edited by vultur; Yesterday at 09:33 AM.
post #12636 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Stereodude, way to miss my point. My display is in perfect working condition, and my concern is replacing it with one that seems to have a lot of problems surfacing. Not that another new model is better.
if it makes you feel any better, I think my f8500 is in perfect working condition...

there's nothing still on the market I'd choose over it right now. oled one day, cause I'm a black level nut, but not yet
Stereodude, dsskid and I WANT MORE like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12637 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
if it makes you feel any better, I think my f8500 is in perfect working condition...

there's nothing still on the market I'd choose over it right now. oled one day, cause I'm a black level nut, but not yet
Same here, I've got only a week of viewing and about 300 hrs on the unit but not a single problem so far. I even figured out a 2 button sequence on my Harmony to blank the screen quickly to prevent a paused image from causing any IR. Not that I'd leave a paused image on screen for any real length of time but why wait 10 mins for the screen saver when you can do it instantly?
dsskid likes this.
post #12638 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Same here, I've got only a week of viewing and about 300 hrs on the unit but not a single problem so far. I even figured out a 2 button sequence on my Harmony to blank the screen quickly to prevent a paused image from causing any IR. Not that I'd leave a paused image on screen for any real length of time but why wait 10 mins for the screen saver when you can do it instantly?
there something wrong with the power button?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12639 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
there something wrong with the power button?
I'd opt for a picture mute button that blacks the screen without powering it off.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #12640 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'd opt for a picture mute button that blacks the screen without powering it off.
That's what I thought it was doing, it actually turns the whole display off? It says " Turns screen off and plays audio only. To turn the screen back on, press any button except TV and Volume buttons". That says to me that the display is still "powered on' and just the signal to the screen has been blanked/off.
post #12641 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
That's what I thought it was doing, it actually turns the whole display off? It says " Turns screen off and plays audio only. To turn the screen back on, press any button except TV and Volume buttons". That says to me that the display is still "powered on' and just the signal to the screen has been blanked/off.
yes, that's what it does.
Keenan likes this.
post #12642 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering picking up an F8500 and have a setup question. From what I understand, in order to minimize input lag for gaming on an F8500 you want to rename an input to "PC". However, I assume you do not want to be using the "PC" mode when viewing TV/movie content. Assuming all of your consoles, TV box, etc. run into a receiver and then from there a single HDMI cable runs into the TV, is there a potential setup method where you could get one-button access (on a Harmony remote or whatever) to properly configured modes for gaming and non-gaming using a single HDMI input on the TV, or would you need to run the gaming sources and non-gaming sources into different inputs?
post #12643 of 12643 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 62
One interesting thing i noticed. When its set to PC and fed a 60hz source it locks out lots of calibration settings, when fed a 24hz source they are all open again.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page