Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 425 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #12721 of 12735 Unread 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
KONICA TECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton, Ma.
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebenson View Post
I've had my 64f8500 for about 4 months. When I watch a movie on my blu-ray player, the picture usually goes to black for a second or two, then comes right back. This happens at least once, most times I watch a blu-ray and has happened ever since I bought the tv. I've swapped hdmi cables and even blu ray players (both are Oppo bdp-93s) The problem still persists. In the last week, this same momentary blackout issue has occurred when I watch recorded shows on my Tivo. A different hdmi port entirely. it's weird, but I haven't noticed this problem watching live tv on the tivo. I am dealing with Samsung right now, but wanted to know whether anyone has had a similar problem. I'm assuming it has something to do with faulty electronics around the hdmi ports inside the tv, but I really don't know what to think.

Try disconnecting the A/C power to the Samsung for about ten minutes then power up. May reset the HDMI ports, otherwise copy all your settings down and try a factory reset in the service menu.
KONICA TECH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12722 of 12735 Unread 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Newbie
 
rlebenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung reset the ports yesterday via remote management. I think the issue is beyond a reset, but I will try the unplugging for 10 minutes
rlebenson is offline  
post #12723 of 12735 Unread 10-28-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebenson View Post
Samsung reset the ports yesterday via remote management. I think the issue is beyond a reset, but I will try the unplugging for 10 minutes

When do the 1-2 second blackouts occur? Only once following the pressing of the play button, or throughout the movie?
DanF8500 is offline  
post #12724 of 12735 Unread 10-29-2014, 04:31 AM
Newbie
 
rlebenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When watching a blu ray, the couple seconds of black usually starts shortly after the movie begins. I'd say in the first 5 minutes. If I pause the blu-ray (and shut the tv down) to briefly do something else, the Samsung will repeat the blackout, once again, in the first 5 minutes after replay. I haven't noticed any pattern while watching the tivo, other than it's only happened when i watch a recorded show. This second issue started within the last week.
rlebenson is offline  
post #12725 of 12735 Unread 10-29-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebenson View Post
When watching a blu ray, the couple seconds of black usually starts shortly after the movie begins. I'd say in the first 5 minutes. If I pause the blu-ray (and shut the tv down) to briefly do something else, the Samsung will repeat the blackout, once again, in the first 5 minutes after replay. I haven't noticed any pattern while watching the tivo, other than it's only happened when i watch a recorded show. This second issue started within the last week.

Ok, thanks for the additional info. What you're describing actually may be normal behavior of the hdmi connection. Have you ever heard of an "hdmi handshake"? It's a standard protocol that's carried out between source components on an hdmi connection to establish a compatible list of settings the two components will use to communicate. A handshake will last a second or so, and when it involves a change of video resolution and/or frame rate on your tv, the video will blank. This happens all the time for me when I change a channel on my native video output FIOS DVR. Every time my 8500 receives a "change" of video resolution from a broadcasted channel from my DVR (i.e. from 720p to 1080i or vice versa), an hdmi handshake will be carried out, and the video will blank for a second or two before displaying the new channel. Your cable box (Tivo) may set its video channel output at a defined resolution (i.e. 1080i), so there would be no hdmi handshake necessary between your tv and cable box from one channel change to the next, thus no blanking screen will be seen. On your blu-ray player, I suspect when your player outputs 24Hz frame rate (typical for blu-ray movies), while your tv is presently in a 1080/60 Hz video resolution, an hdmi handshake will happen when your tv has to switch to the 24Hz frame rate. Once the tv has switched to the 24Hz frame rate (while watching your movie), no additional hdmi handshakes are needed. I would try turning off 24Hz output from your Oppo player (let Oppo player convert movie to 60Hz output), and that may stop the initial video blank upon playing your blu-ray movies because your 8500's standard/native frame rate on power up is 60Hz.

Last edited by DanF8500; 10-29-2014 at 06:38 AM.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #12726 of 12735 Unread 10-29-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,305
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
But there are plenty of reviews between the two that can be found online.
The most important thing is the VT60 are a rip off now.

However to answer the question, more or less a tie. The Panasonic does better in some area's and the Samsung does better in other area's. Seeing how the samsung's are priced, easy choice now........
dsskid and eric3316 like this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #12727 of 12735 Unread 10-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Newbie
 
rlebenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Ok, thanks for the additional info. What you're describing actually may be normal behavior of the hdmi connection. Have you ever heard of an "hdmi handshake"? It's a standard protocol that's carried out between source components on an hdmi connection to establish a compatible list of settings the two components will use to communicate. A handshake will last a second or so, and when it involves a change of video resolution and/or frame rate on your tv, the video will blank. This happens all the time for me when I change a channel on my native video output FIOS DVR. Every time my 8500 receives a "change" of video resolution from a broadcasted channel from my DVR (i.e. from 720p to 1080i or vice versa), an hdmi handshake will be carried out, and the video will blank for a second or two before displaying the new channel. Your cable box (Tivo) may set its video channel output at a defined resolution (i.e. 1080i), so there would be no hdmi handshake necessary between your tv and cable box from one channel change to the next, thus no blanking screen will be seen. On your blu-ray player, I suspect when your player outputs 24Hz frame rate (typical for blu-ray movies), while your tv is presently in a 1080/60 Hz video resolution, an hdmi handshake will happen when your tv has to switch to the 24Hz frame rate. Once the tv has switched to the 24Hz frame rate (while watching your movie), no additional hdmi handshakes are needed. I would try turning off 24Hz output from your Oppo player (let Oppo player convert movie to 60Hz output), and that may stop the initial video blank upon playing your blu-ray movies because your 8500's standard/native frame rate on power up is 60Hz.
DanF8500, I think it could be a handshake issue, but this tv replaced a Samsung 63c8000. I never had this momentary dip to black with the older Samsung and the same Tivo or Oppo. Also, I currently also own a 60e7000, with a tivo and Oppo hooked up to the tv. I have never had a that tv go to black while watching a blu ray or tivo, either. So, I wonder whether it's faulty ports inside the 8500. I just want to try and figure this out before I call Samsung again. My fear is that the hdmi ports inside the tv may eventually stop working altogether. I hope to figure this out before the warranty period ends. Thanks for your commens.
rlebenson is offline  
post #12728 of 12735 Unread 10-29-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 180
^ If it was a faulty port on your tv, I suspect your Tivo connection (all your connected devices) would be blanking also. The fact that it functions fine watching tv broadcasts suggests your hdmi ports are not going bad. I've seen a good number of owners complaining about 1-2 second blanking video on the Oppo forums. Almost every one of those posts was the result of hdmi handshaking.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #12729 of 12735 Unread 10-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Member
 
oddmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thinking of buying Darbee 5100,connecting it from my oppo 103 to the f8500.
Any idea if it will enhance picture quality or I won't see much difference.
oddmania is online now  
post #12730 of 12735 Unread Yesterday, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post
Thinking of buying Darbee 5100,connecting it from my oppo 103 to the f8500.
Any idea if it will enhance picture quality or I won't see much difference.
I LOVED my Darbee when I had a ST60.To me the F8500 is noticeably sharper than the Panny and putting the Darbee effect on top of this sharpness looks bad to me. I haven't experimented with the Darbee set at less than what I ran before (45%) but for now I leave it off. I'll save it in case I ever get a projector.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #12731 of 12735 Unread Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
mightymouseusf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebenson View Post
DanF8500, I think it could be a handshake issue, but this tv replaced a Samsung 63c8000. I never had this momentary dip to black with the older Samsung and the same Tivo or Oppo. Also, I currently also own a 60e7000, with a tivo and Oppo hooked up to the tv. I have never had a that tv go to black while watching a blu ray or tivo, either. So, I wonder whether it's faulty ports inside the 8500. I just want to try and figure this out before I call Samsung again. My fear is that the hdmi ports inside the tv may eventually stop working altogether. I hope to figure this out before the warranty period ends. Thanks for your commens.
I get the same thing sometimes and I'm pretty sure it's not handshake related as it happens to me mid-gaming session when there is no change in resolution. I just always figured it was my receiver hdmi port being wonky, but if it's happening to other users then I may need to reevaluate.

While the game doesn't change resolution mid session, frame rate can dip and rise depending on how taxed the console is being. That might cause the tv to request a new handshake. That wouldn't explain your issue during blu ray watching though.
mightymouseusf is offline  
post #12732 of 12735 Unread Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
pochoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I LOVED my Darbee when I had a ST60.To me the F8500 is noticeably sharper than the Panny and putting the Darbee effect on top of this sharpness looks bad to me. I haven't experimented with the Darbee set at less than what I ran before (45%) but for now I leave it off. I'll save it in case I ever get a projector.
I was thinking 103d, could you experiment a bit further for us?
pochoboy is offline  
post #12733 of 12735 Unread Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post
I was thinking 103d, could you experiment a bit further for us?
I'm not sure how helpful I can be beyond the opinion I gave above.

None of my observations will be scientific... Being based upon my perception and preferences... And if I have to lower the Darbee setting below what many consider the 45% sweet spot IMO you might as well leave it off or save the money.

I DO like the Darbee. Just not with this TV. The F8500 already shows enough detail IMO and the Darbee seemed to make film grain pop more than I like. For me the Darbee effect was much more pleasing with the softer ST60.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #12734 of 12735 Unread Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I'm not sure how helpful I can be beyond the opinion I gave above.

None of my observations will be scientific... Being based upon my perception and preferences... And if I have to lower the Darbee setting below what many consider the 45% sweet spot IMO you might as well leave it off or save the money.

I DO like the Darbee. Just not with this TV. The F8500 already shows enough detail IMO and the Darbee seemed to make film grain pop more than I like. For me the Darbee effect was much more pleasing with the softer ST60.
Would you think that since the Darbee is not needed then just a Samsung Blu Ray player (or equivalent) would produce as good of image on Blu Ray as an Oppo?

I ask because I ordered this TV and I was also thinking of an Oppo 103D, but then I thought I may not see a difference over just a say a BD-H5900?
Wyatt Earpe is offline  
post #12735 of 12735 Unread Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
CJayB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I'm not sure how helpful I can be beyond the opinion I gave above.

None of my observations will be scientific... Being based upon my perception and preferences... And if I have to lower the Darbee setting below what many consider the 45% sweet spot IMO you might as well leave it off or save the money.

I DO like the Darbee. Just not with this TV. The F8500 already shows enough detail IMO and the Darbee seemed to make film grain pop more than I like. For me the Darbee effect was much more pleasing with the softer ST60.
I agree that the Darbee seems to be more effective with the Panasonics, the ST50, that I sold, in my case. On the 8500 I still use the Darbee, but keep it at 30%, barely noticeable, and once in awhile at 35%. By 40% I don't like it at all, at least for blu-rays. If I didn't already own a Darbee I doubt I would now feel the need for it at $300.
CJayB is offline  
post #12736 of 12735 Unread Yesterday, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Earpe View Post
Would you think that since the Darbee is not needed then just a Samsung Blu Ray player (or equivalent) would produce as good of image on Blu Ray as an Oppo?

I ask because I ordered this TV and I was also thinking of an Oppo 103D, but then I thought I may not see a difference over just a say a BD-H5900?
Don't decide to buy an Oppo player if your only criteria is better image for blu-ray disks. Most blu-ray players on the market are very competitive in their ability to read HD digital media and stream (bitstream or LPCM) it out hdmi . Buy an Oppo player for their build quality (built to last), for their superior support (phone and email), great resale value, superior upscaler of standard def video (i.e. DVD's), not to mention a great network media player that plays just about every audio/video format/codec you can throw at it via DLNA, SMB, or attached usb thumb drive.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 08:31 PM.
DanF8500 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off