Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 427 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12781 of 12790 Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared4life View Post
Hi I just recently bought this tv and by God it was hard to find. So everyone keeps talking about how good this picture looks. I went to best buy and saw the 55EC9300 OLED and it looked absolutely breathtaking. Would you say this tv has a good picture as the OLED I saw at best buy? Thinking of buying that as well. I mean I could not see a display but just how good is the picture on the pn51f8500.
No, it's not a good as an OLED although I do see people complain often about motion on OLED's so not sure if they has been improved yet.

For PQ, nothing comes close to OLED. When it shows blacks, it is like the panel is off giving you better contrast levels then even the best plasma's. OLED is the future but it's still considered fairly new and since no one has owned one for that long it is hard to know about negative long term effects we will see with OLED. Buying one now will kind of make you a beta tester.

You should look through the OLED section and see what actual owners of the TV are saying.
StinDaWg likes this.

Last edited by eric3316; 11-24-2014 at 05:27 AM.
eric3316 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12782 of 12790 Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsskid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The Oled does look better, but not without it's own issues.
Screen uniformity, some image retention and motion issues, is curved, and is 55".
The 65" is $9,000.

Also, it's o it's own loop. Ask them to put something other than that loop on when you look at it.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
dsskid is online now  
post #12783 of 12790 Old 11-24-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Personally I couldn't justify a OLED right now due to what dsskid points out. The F8500 is a great set until OLED matures a bit.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #12784 of 12790 Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
JRWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
@Halimali From your picture and posted information, your 64" TV is in a cabinet that does not provide Samsung's minimum ventilation requirements.

The most common cause of capacitor failure is environmental heat. The plague of bad capacitors have not be used in electronics for several years before your set was built. The components in electronic equipment need a flow of cool air while operating. In your TV, air enters the vents along the bottom of the back of the set, the air picks up heat from the electronics, then exits the vents at the back top. If there is not adequate air flow in and out of the cabinet then the temperature of the air entering the set will increase to above the maximum recommended operation temperature of 104 degrees F.

I can not advise you what must be done to bring the cabinet's ventilation up to the minimum ventilation level. There are ways that air flow can be increased in a cabinet such as:

o adding fans to push cool air in and other fans to blow hot air out (providing flow both in and out is important), and/or
o cutting vent holes in the sides and/or shelves above and/or below the set, while maintaining structural integrity.

Others on this forum are invited post their views to help Halimali.
JRWalker is offline  
post #12785 of 12790 Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Salacak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After several attempts to get good 4K tv i just gave up on it and decided to wait for technology to correct LED / Edge lid problems.
Any of you can tell me on black levels and picture quality differences between Samsung PN60F8500 and Samsung PN60F5300 B version panel.
Salacak is offline  
post #12786 of 12790 Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
Any of you can tell me on black levels and picture quality differences between Samsung PN60F8500 and Samsung PN60F5300 B version panel.
Black levels are pretty much the same in a dark room. F5300 may measure a little lower if you have a newer F8500 with updated firmware.
StinDaWg is online now  
post #12787 of 12790 Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
WPWoodJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Villanova, PA
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me where the Eco Sensor is on the 60" F8500? I don't want to block it inadvertently. I like having it on (you can set the minimum cell light that it will go to), so you can have one setting that works for day and night.
WPWoodJr is offline  
post #12788 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,929
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 412
The sensor is in the same small area where the IR receiver and LED on/off light is in the lower left.
WPWoodJr likes this.
zoyd is online now  
post #12789 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post
@Halimali From your picture and posted information, your 64" TV is in a cabinet that does not provide Samsung's minimum ventilation requirements.

The most common cause of capacitor failure is environmental heat. The plague of bad capacitors have not be used in electronics for several years before your set was built. The components in electronic equipment need a flow of cool air while operating. In your TV, air enters the vents along the bottom of the back of the set, the air picks up heat from the electronics, then exits the vents at the back top. If there is not adequate air flow in and out of the cabinet then the temperature of the air entering the set will increase to above the maximum recommended operation temperature of 104 degrees F.

I can not advise you what must be done to bring the cabinet's ventilation up to the minimum ventilation level. There are ways that air flow can be increased in a cabinet such as:

o adding fans to push cool air in and other fans to blow hot air out (providing flow both in and out is important), and/or
o cutting vent holes in the sides and/or shelves above and/or below the set, while maintaining structural integrity.

Others on this forum are invited post their views to help Halimali.
Today I got the TV back after the repair.

I want to thank you for your input and advise.
I'm going to do what you advised me.

I'm ditching the whole cabinet and will replace it with a TV stand so that the whole TV will be exposed to air from all the sides.

I would also be interested to know how to add fans to the set. Would really appreciate your help in guiding me how that can be done.

I love this TV and don't want it to fail on me again.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #12790 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post
Today I got the TV back after the repair.

I want to thank you for your input and advise.
I'm going to do what you advised me.

I'm ditching the whole cabinet and will replace it with a TV stand so that the whole TV will be exposed to air from all the sides.

I would also be interested to know how to add fans to the set. Would really appreciate your help in guiding me how that can be done.

I love this TV and don't want it to fail on me again.
Model Mobile Fan 12 (P/N: AF0007) - plug into lowest USB Port and adjust to about 50% speed. Will lower the temp about 10 or more degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8500_Back_Fan.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	384842  
p5browne is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off