Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 427 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12781 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The Oled does look better, but not without it's own issues.
Screen uniformity, some image retention and motion issues, is curved, and is 55".
The 65" is $9,000.

Also, it's o it's own loop. Ask them to put something other than that loop on when you look at it.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Personally I couldn't justify a OLED right now due to what dsskid points out. The F8500 is a great set until OLED matures a bit.
post #12783 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
@Halimali From your picture and posted information, your 64" TV is in a cabinet that does not provide Samsung's minimum ventilation requirements.

The most common cause of capacitor failure is environmental heat. The plague of bad capacitors have not be used in electronics for several years before your set was built. The components in electronic equipment need a flow of cool air while operating. In your TV, air enters the vents along the bottom of the back of the set, the air picks up heat from the electronics, then exits the vents at the back top. If there is not adequate air flow in and out of the cabinet then the temperature of the air entering the set will increase to above the maximum recommended operation temperature of 104 degrees F.

I can not advise you what must be done to bring the cabinet's ventilation up to the minimum ventilation level. There are ways that air flow can be increased in a cabinet such as:

o adding fans to push cool air in and other fans to blow hot air out (providing flow both in and out is important), and/or
o cutting vent holes in the sides and/or shelves above and/or below the set, while maintaining structural integrity.

Others on this forum are invited post their views to help Halimali.
post #12784 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After several attempts to get good 4K tv i just gave up on it and decided to wait for technology to correct LED / Edge lid problems.
Any of you can tell me on black levels and picture quality differences between Samsung PN60F8500 and Samsung PN60F5300 B version panel.
post #12785 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
Any of you can tell me on black levels and picture quality differences between Samsung PN60F8500 and Samsung PN60F5300 B version panel.
Black levels are pretty much the same in a dark room. F5300 may measure a little lower if you have a newer F8500 with updated firmware.
post #12786 of 12790 Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me where the Eco Sensor is on the 60" F8500? I don't want to block it inadvertently. I like having it on (you can set the minimum cell light that it will go to), so you can have one setting that works for day and night.
post #12787 of 12790 Old Today, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 411
The sensor is in the same small area where the IR receiver and LED on/off light is in the lower left.
WPWoodJr likes this.
post #12788 of 12790 Old Today, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post
@Halimali From your picture and posted information, your 64" TV is in a cabinet that does not provide Samsung's minimum ventilation requirements.

The most common cause of capacitor failure is environmental heat. The plague of bad capacitors have not be used in electronics for several years before your set was built. The components in electronic equipment need a flow of cool air while operating. In your TV, air enters the vents along the bottom of the back of the set, the air picks up heat from the electronics, then exits the vents at the back top. If there is not adequate air flow in and out of the cabinet then the temperature of the air entering the set will increase to above the maximum recommended operation temperature of 104 degrees F.

I can not advise you what must be done to bring the cabinet's ventilation up to the minimum ventilation level. There are ways that air flow can be increased in a cabinet such as:

o adding fans to push cool air in and other fans to blow hot air out (providing flow both in and out is important), and/or
o cutting vent holes in the sides and/or shelves above and/or below the set, while maintaining structural integrity.

Others on this forum are invited post their views to help Halimali.
Today I got the TV back after the repair.

I want to thank you for your input and advise.
I'm going to do what you advised me.

I'm ditching the whole cabinet and will replace it with a TV stand so that the whole TV will be exposed to air from all the sides.

I would also be interested to know how to add fans to the set. Would really appreciate your help in guiding me how that can be done.

I love this TV and don't want it to fail on me again.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #12789 of 12790 Old Today, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post
Today I got the TV back after the repair.

I want to thank you for your input and advise.
I'm going to do what you advised me.

I'm ditching the whole cabinet and will replace it with a TV stand so that the whole TV will be exposed to air from all the sides.

I would also be interested to know how to add fans to the set. Would really appreciate your help in guiding me how that can be done.

I love this TV and don't want it to fail on me again.
Model Mobile Fan 12 (P/N: AF0007) - plug into lowest USB Port and adjust to about 50% speed. Will lower the temp about 10 or more degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8500_Back_Fan.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	384842  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page