Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 432 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #12931 of 12949 Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I don't know if Samsung will ever get around to fixing that netflix bug. I agree that most FW updates are reliable, but on occasion you get a bad update. That happened to Apple just recently when they sent out iOS 8.0.1. It bricked many iPhone 6 models and was pulled from their servers after 2 hours. That also happened to Vizio a few years ago too. They sent out a FW update that bricked certain models, and they also had to pull the update.
The thought is it is a Netflix bug to fix. Hard to say really, but it was Netflix that removed the 5.1 support, not Samsung.
Netflix in stereo not 5.1
http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-rem...ung-tvs-73052/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 12949 Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
The thought is it is a Netflix bug to fix. Hard to say really, but it was Netflix that removed the 5.1 support, not Samsung.
Netflix in stereo not 5.1
http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-rem...ung-tvs-73052/
2nd link is an article from Oct 8th 2014.

" It’s estimated that Netflix will bring out an update fixing the issue in about two to four weeks."

Hey Netflix, it's almost 3 months now and still not working. What happened to two to four weeks ?

Everyone should contact Netflix and get on their case.

http://gethuman.com/contact/Netflix/

http://www.wikihow.com/Contact-Netflix

"Mailing Address We could not find a mailing address on the Netflix website, but we managed to learn from customer service emails that the corporate address is located in Los Gatos, CA. The mailing address is listed in tiny letters at the bottom of the email. Netflix 100 Winchester Circle Los Gatos, CA 95032"

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
post #12933 of 12949 Old 01-03-2015, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Managed to snag a 64" by speaking with my local BB store manager and he was able to locate one at a distribution center in Florida. I had to drive 500 miles round trip but I believe it was worth it. It has the directional buzz but it's not too bad.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #12934 of 12949 Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorITR View Post
Managed to snag a 64" by speaking with my local BB store manager and he was able to locate one at a distribution center in Florida. I had to drive 500 miles round trip but I believe it was worth it. It has the directional buzz but it's not too bad.
Congrats !

Was it new or floor model ?

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #12935 of 12949 Old 01-04-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post
2nd link is an article from Oct 8th 2014.

" It’s estimated that Netflix will bring out an update fixing the issue in about two to four weeks."

Hey Netflix, it's almost 3 months now and still not working. What happened to two to four weeks ?

Everyone should contact Netflix and get on their case.

http://gethuman.com/contact/Netflix/

http://www.wikihow.com/Contact-Netflix

"Mailing Address We could not find a mailing address on the Netflix website, but we managed to learn from customer service emails that the corporate address is located in Los Gatos, CA. The mailing address is listed in tiny letters at the bottom of the email. Netflix 100 Winchester Circle Los Gatos, CA 95032"
I'm less concerned about a fix for this now that I have learned about the HDMI ARC limited functionality. The major video content streamers, Netflix, Amazon, Vudu all use DD+. HDMI ARC does not support it or any of the more advanced formats. It only supports standard DD and will need to convert DD+ to DD. ARC seems like "toslink over HDMI". Even if/when this is fixed, we still will have a reduced level of functionality for any DD+ enabled service. I will use my BD player which does support DD+ for watching streaming content. The wife/kids who could care less about surround sound can use the ease of use single button Netflix with TV speakers.

If your AVR doesnt support DD+, then it doesnt matter.

Last edited by sjm817; 01-04-2015 at 10:06 AM.
post #12936 of 12949 Old 01-04-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorITR View Post
Good for you. That's what you have to do to find one now. Talk to a BB manager or Magnolia rep. who knows how to search for product in stores and the warehouses. Because the online inventory is not necessarily accurate and will not always indicate open box items or isolated remaining stock in certain stores or distribution centers. That's how I found mine.
post #12937 of 12949 Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
If your AVR doesnt support DD+, then it doesnt matter.
Did you mean to say?

If my AVR doesnt support DD+, then it doesnt matter to me.
post #12938 of 12949 Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I've worked as a software engineer (firmware and OS) for over 30 years and have always applied every firmware update for every device I own as soon as it's released, and it's never caused an issue, even if the device is operating seemingly perfectly.

This attitude even goes back to the days where I would need to use a chip puller and swap out EPROMs to update the firmware, after begging the vendor for an update they would not normally send out unless you encountered the specific issue it addressed.

I've never believed in the "if it ain't broke" approach to engineering; that's how you get stuck dealing with things like BIOS thirty years after its introduction…
You sound like a Vizio customer in waiting. They follow the "if it ain't broke, give us a little more time and we'll break it" approach to engineering with their firmware update.
post #12939 of 12949 Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
Did you mean to say?

If my AVR doesnt support DD+, then it doesnt matter to me.
No

Maybe this is a better wording?
If <some persons> AVR is older and doesnt support DD+, it doesnt matter since it cant decode DD+ anyway. The DD+ is a non issue in those cases.
post #12940 of 12949 Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post
Congrats !

Was it new or floor model ?
Thanks. It was new. Besides the condition of the parts I also verified the panel hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Good for you. That's what you have to do to find one now. Talk to a BB manager or Magnolia rep. who knows how to search for product in stores and the warehouses. Because the online inventory is not necessarily accurate and will not always indicate open box items or isolated remaining stock in certain stores or distribution centers. That's how I found mine.
I had originally located one online at a store in that same city and purchased it. Called to the store to double check and they claimed they didn't have one. Got the email almost right away that it wasn't available. But that also got me entering in zip codes on the site until I found other stores to call.
post #12941 of 12949 Old 01-05-2015, 03:14 AM
OGG

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a chance to get a 64" F8500 new in box from a retailer for 1100 EUR / 1300 USD, should I jump at that? Seems like a very good price for new in box 64 inch...
Almost worried something might be wrong at that price..
Will have to rent a little truck to go pick it up but a couple of hundred on top won't bother me at that price point if everything is ok.
Won't be able to plug it in so will only check for cracks on the screen on site, anything else I should look out for?
post #12942 of 12949 Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 AM
OGG

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oops just seen the no street price talk, it's from a website.. is that ok?
post #12943 of 12949 Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGG View Post
Oops just seen the no street price talk, it's from a website.. is that ok?

You can post about the price and location in the Plasma Deals Found section there is an f8500 thread there.

Sent from an system/360
post #12944 of 12949 Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGG View Post
Have a chance to get a 64" F8500 new in box from a retailer for 1100 EUR / 1300 USD, should I jump at that? Seems like a very good price for new in box 64 inch...
Almost worried something might be wrong at that price..
Will have to rent a little truck to go pick it up but a couple of hundred on top won't bother me at that price point if everything is ok.
Won't be able to plug it in so will only check for cracks on the screen on site, anything else I should look out for?
That's a steal for a 64" , but make sure you can return it for a full refund just in case something is wrong with it.

Find out if there's a restocking fee and if you are responsible ($) for shipping it back if you decide to send it back.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #12945 of 12949 Old 01-10-2015, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recently purchased a 64 from Best Buy and I'm having an issue installing the stand. The holes for the right clip (labeled 'R') on the stand will not align with the screw holes on the back of the panel. I thought maybe the right clip was not fully attached to the stand, so I detached it from the stand and inserted it alone into the right clip slot of the panel and the holes will still not align. Checked the clip slot on the panel and it is free of any obstructions. I'm going to call Samsung to send me another right clip, but wanted to check here to see if anyone has come across this issue. The left clip screw holes align perfectly. Thanks for any assistance.
post #12946 of 12949 Old 01-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I found some 4K picture files that can be downloaded to a USB and played directly on the F8500 at 1080P. The files are at http://darbeevision.com/4k-samples and the details of what I did is at Darbee vision darblet . Enjoy!
post #12947 of 12949 Old 01-19-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G7 View Post
I recently purchased a 64 from Best Buy and I'm having an issue installing the stand. The holes for the right clip (labeled 'R') on the stand will not align with the screw holes on the back of the panel. I thought maybe the right clip was not fully attached to the stand, so I detached it from the stand and inserted it alone into the right clip slot of the panel and the holes will still not align. Checked the clip slot on the panel and it is free of any obstructions. I'm going to call Samsung to send me another right clip, but wanted to check here to see if anyone has come across this issue. The left clip screw holes align perfectly. Thanks for any assistance.
I had this problem and would have sworn the holes wouldn't align, but pressed a bit harder and the stand slipped in just a bit more allowing the holes to line up perfectly.

What's somewhat annoying about the stand is that the TV must slide evenly onto both stand clips simultaneously or it's inevitable one side or the other won't seat completely because there is no room in the hole the clips slide into for even a little bit of vertical movement.

What I had to do was unscrew the left side, pull the stand out ever so slightly then reseat both sides; only then did all the holes of both brackets line up.
post #12948 of 12949 Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I had this problem and would have sworn the holes wouldn't align, but pressed a bit harder and the stand slipped in just a bit more allowing the holes to line up perfectly.

What's somewhat annoying about the stand is that the TV must slide evenly onto both stand clips simultaneously or it's inevitable one side or the other won't seat completely because there is no room in the hole the clips slide into for even a little bit of vertical movement.

What I had to do was unscrew the left side, pull the stand out ever so slightly then reseat both sides; only then did all the holes of both brackets line up.
Yes, I had an issue with this as well. My gf and I tinkered with it for about half an hour. I nearly gave up but when I took a seat to rest, I noticed the TV slide right in all the way; must have been its own weight that gave it the extra little push.
post #12949 of 12949 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Viewing 4K material at 1080P on F8500s

I am putting together information about viewing 4K material at 1080P on F8500s. Found some great stuff but have been unable to find the PN-64F8500 promotion video that Samsung had on their website until recently. It highlighted the F8500's display of black images. If you have it or know where I can find it, please reply or PM me.

Hope to do a detailed post this weekend, time permitting.

Jim
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page