Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 436 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #13051 of 13069 Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a tech call in right now

on hold for 40 minutes and counting

just gave up after 1 hour 10 min

hopefully this works itself out.

anyone else?

64PNF8500 Plasma, Yamama RX-V1900, BIC Acoustech 5.1

Last edited by Breathing Borla; 04-19-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13052 of 13069 Old 04-19-2015, 04:33 PM

found this online it worked

DNS change to 208.67.222.222

post #13053 of 13069 Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I did same. Changed to an Open DNS Server and it's ok.
post #13054 of 13069 Old 04-19-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 333
If you have to change DNS on your router and it works, then your isp is preventing you from connecting tv to internet. Normally when you set up the router it uses the dns server associated with your isp unless you change it manually.
post #13055 of 13069 Old 04-19-2015, 07:14 PM

didn't change anything on router, only changed the dns on TV network menu.

be no means do I have any idea what I am saying lol, but that's what I did. I didn't log into router though

post #13056 of 13069 Old 04-19-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
didn't change anything on router, only changed the dns on TV network menu.

be no means do I have any idea what I am saying lol, but that's what I did. I didn't log into router though
Ok, that makes more sense. If you change the DNS server on tv, then it is Samsung's servers having problems.
Breathing Borla likes this.
post #13057 of 13069 Old 04-19-2015, 07:22 PM

hopefully that will save someone some irritation.

on another note, any idea what the new software does 1207? just updated that today as part of trying to solve this issue, which was unrelated.

all this and I missed the dodgers winning 7-0 since mlbtv app wouldn't work.

sometimes I think this smart TV is rather, let's say dumb...

one hell of a picture though

post #13058 of 13069 Old 04-22-2015, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Short story here:

Walked into my local Best Buy and they actually had an open box 64F8500 on display that obviously had been hanging on the wall at a different store as a demo, as it had massive scratches on the back panel where the remote had once been attached and a check of its hour meter found it to be just under 8000 (!).

Thing is, I walked up to it and it was silent and 100% free of the "sizzle" that caused me to return the new 64F8500 I purchased last December.

Though I love the look of OLED, I love the look of plasma as well and the combination of LG delays and a questionable commitment to flat displays combined to make me pull the trigger and I'll be back in the F8500 camp as of this weekend.

The open box discount was rather significant, and specifically because this unit was gloriously sizzle free, it's worth the gamble to me. Zero burn-in or IR, no obvious loss of brightness, and except for their retina-searing brightness, the PQ of course blew away every LCD display in the Magnolia room.

FWIW, the panel manufacturing date on this set was March 2013, so perhaps some running design change explains the loudness of the sizzle in at least the last round of new sets last year.

At the very least this will tide me over until OLED gets its feet on the ground or dies completely; I just don't want a curved set nor do any of the LCDs on the market now appeal to me, and given the fact that Samsung doesn't have any replacement panels in the parts stream any longer, if it does die I get a refund.

All said, pretty low risk but I'm nevertheless excited.
post #13059 of 13069 Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Short story here:

Walked into my local Best Buy and they actually had an open box 64F8500 on display that obviously had been hanging on the wall at a different store as a demo, as it had massive scratches on the back panel where the remote had once been attached and a check of its hour meter found it to be just under 8000 (!).

Thing is, I walked up to it and it was silent and 100% free of the "sizzle" that caused me to return the new 64F8500 I purchased last December.

Though I love the look of OLED, I love the look of plasma as well and the combination of LG delays and a questionable commitment to flat displays combined to make me pull the trigger and I'll be back in the F8500 camp as of this weekend.

The open box discount was rather significant, and specifically because this unit was gloriously sizzle free, it's worth the gamble to me. Zero burn-in or IR, no obvious loss of brightness, and except for their retina-searing brightness, the PQ of course blew away every LCD display in the Magnolia room.

FWIW, the panel manufacturing date on this set was March 2013, so perhaps some running design change explains the loudness of the sizzle in at least the last round of new sets last year.

At the very least this will tide me over until OLED gets its feet on the ground or dies completely; I just don't want a curved set nor do any of the LCDs on the market now appeal to me, and given the fact that Samsung doesn't have any replacement panels in the parts stream any longer, if it does die I get a refund.

Congratulations and welcome back into the fold.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #13060 of 13069 Old 04-22-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Short story here:

Congrats ! It's a great set and is very versatile for both day and night viewing
post #13061 of 13069 Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe someone can point me in the correct direction. My tv is having issues turning on, it takes about 30 minutes of on/off to get it on. What happens is when i first turn the tv on it flashes that red power light for 10 times slowly, then like 4-5 times fast. After that i hit the power button to turn off and repeat process until finally the tv comes on after about 30 minutes of doing that(no picture the whole time while repeating the process blank sreen like tv is off). I had Arc, but unhooked the hdmi from tv so it is just the power cord connected, and same issues. I have tried unplugging the tv from the back for 30 seconds and the same issues. I am on an old software and am updating as im typing to current software but it says it is taking an 1hr30minutes for update and i have fast internet. Hopefully someone can help me with my issues and point me in the correct direction other than that this tv is awesome, i dont want to get another tv until oled 4k is out and reasonable price.
post #13062 of 13069 Old 04-23-2015, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
seems the update is speeding up so hopefully no issues the remaining of update but need help on power issues.
post #13063 of 13069 Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post
seems the update is speeding up so hopefully no issues the remaining of update but need help on power issues.
If you are under warranty call Samsung. There is obviously hardware issues, and your tv likely needs repair.
post #13064 of 13069 Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sure sounds like a PSU issue to me.

My bedroom Panasonic plasma started taking longer and longer to turn on, and after a while the red power light would come on for a bit (10-20 seconds) and then turn off. I took it to the certified Panasonic guy in my town and he said that with that particular model Panasonic had ordered inexpensive Power supplies from a marginal manufacturer and had all kinds of problems with them slowly dying.

He replaced it and the TV has been fine ever since.
post #13065 of 13069 Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
If you are under warranty call Samsung. There is obviously hardware issues, and your tv likely needs repair.
Even if not under warranty, free Samsung Remote Support service offers you one-on-one support with a Samsung Technician who can remotely :

• Diagnose your TV
  • Customize the TV setting for you (Picture, Sound, etc)
  • Backup & Restore your customized setting
  • Reset your TV to the factory default
  • Install the latest firmware
  • Manage Smart Hub optimally

Plus, your settings are saved on our servers for future sessions, if needed. It's easy!
Just call 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864) and ask for remote support.

Above copied from web page http://samsungsupport.com/remotesupport/ . Visit page for video and FAQ.

Last edited by JRWalker; Yesterday at 06:30 AM.
post #13066 of 13069 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HOW MANY HOURS IS THE F8500 IN NEW CONDITION ??? (Assuming properly taken care off with no IR)

What would new condition be defined as? (assuming no scratches or signs of external wear)

How many hours of use until the average user or an expert could tell that the picture had degraded noticeably?

I have heard that plasma TV have a 60,000 hour half life where the picture would be 50% as bright as it originally was.

What other aspects of the picture would have degraded by then?

Would that mean that at 6,000 hours the brightness levels would be down 5%?
The F8500 is the brightest plasma ever made according to reviews I have read.

I have a Samsung C7000 that I bought in 2010. The picture looks excellent.
I can't tell that it is any worse than when I bought it. It looks better than most TVs I see in stores.

Has anyone owned a plasma long enough to notice that the picture has degraded?

I believe that the F8500 is the best all around TV currently available.
I think that all of us here want to keep this TV in optimum condition for as long as possible.
post #13067 of 13069 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 233
A brand new plasma should have a panel life of somewhere around zero hours.

The latest I've read from Samsung indicates a half life of 100,000 hours.

I personally purchased an open box plasma from Best Buy with nearly 8,000 hours on it, and it looks perfect.
post #13068 of 13069 Old Today, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcec View Post
HOW MANY HOURS IS THE F8500 IN NEW CONDITION ??? (Assuming properly taken care off with no IR)
When I bought mine it had zero. But, I've heard a few other owners state that theirs had some hours on it, brand new out of the box.
post #13069 of 13069 Old Today, 01:12 PM

Liked: 0
I bought a floor model F8500 from bestbuy (just like kucharch) back in December, and now I have a column of red sub pixels stuck with every other pixel on, every other off. It seems to show up randomly, and go away randomly, and it happens with every input and even on the Samsung menu. See the attached picture below. I have tried doing a factory reset and tweaking every setting on the TV with no luck so far. Has anyone else run into this? I'm assuming this sis a hardware issue; is there a way I can fix something or replace something without having to pay for a repair technician?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8500 verticle line problem.png
Views:	1
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	685825  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page