Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 437 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #13081 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
There are no LEDs that come anywhere near a plasma.

OLED comes close, but some have issues with the motion presented; I've never been bothered at all when watching Blu-rays at local Best Buys as long as you turn all the motion smoothing options off.
The two FALD models I listed do come close. Calibrators on this forum have shown the blacks on those two models as low as the F8500. Granted, the F8500 is not the best at blacks when compared to the VT/ZT or Kuros. The F8500 is superior to the Samsung JS9500 when it comes to motion, with the Sony producing excellent motion. Where the F8500 truly excels is viewing angles. LED will never match plasma.
wxman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13082 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Here a review of both the Sony and Samsung models by Chad B.

**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread

Samsung JS9500 owners thread

I would still get another F8500 as a replacement, but the black levels on the Sony are as good as the F8500. However, you sacrifice viewing angles with any LED TV.
wxman is online now  
post #13083 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Deleted. Double post.
wxman is online now  
post #13084 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The two FALD models I listed do come close. Calibrators on this forum have shown the blacks on those two models as low as the F8500. Granted, the F8500 is not the best at blacks when compared to the VT/ZT or Kuros. The F8500 is superior to the Samsung JS9500 when it comes to motion, with the Sony producing excellent motion. Where the F8500 truly excels is viewing angles. LED will never match plasma.
Close perhaps, but few things bother me more than blooming, which both the models listed do.

Quite frankly, though the 8500 may have slightly elevated black levels compared to others, it's a huge improvement over my 2004 TH-50PHD6UY.
kucharsk is offline  
post #13085 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Close perhaps, but few things bother me more than blooming, which both the models listed do.

Quite frankly, though the 8500 may have slightly elevated black levels compared to others, it's a huge improvement over my 2004 TH-50PHD6UY.
I agree with the blooming issues with FALD. Unfortunately for the previous poster, they are only offering him an LED tv as a replacement. So all we can really do is recommend the best available ones out there.
wxman is online now  
post #13086 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The two FALD models I listed do come close. Calibrators on this forum have shown the blacks on those two models as low as the F8500. Granted, the F8500 is not the best at blacks when compared to the VT/ZT or Kuros. The F8500 is superior to the Samsung JS9500 when it comes to motion, with the Sony producing excellent motion. Where the F8500 truly excels is viewing angles. LED will never match plasma.
No matter what these manufacturers do to an LCD to get them to match Plasma, they will still inherent the same annoying issues of flash-lighting, clouding and with FALD, blooming. No matter how much tweaking from calibrators, blacks will never be consistent when the viewing angles suck so badly.
HLdan is offline  
post #13087 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
sjm817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Kind of a bummer Samsung removed the movie app. It was actually kind of slick. I didn't use it much but it was nice to be able to search across all the streaming movie services.
sjm817 is online now  
post #13088 of 13093 Unread 07-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Kind of a bummer Samsung removed the movie app. It was actually kind of slick. I didn't use it much but it was nice to be able to search across all the streaming movie services.
Sad. They remove something useful but keep around those annoying banners to remind you they are going to make changes and there's no way to get rid of the banner until they remove a month later. The only way to prevent Samsung from controlling our TV's is to disconnect them from the internet.
HLdan is offline  
post #13089 of 13093 Unread Today, 12:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Saw the 60 in f8500 for 1600 at best buy looked really good , next to it was a samsung suhd js8500 edge light playing an exodoz hdr demo, wow technology has truly evolved, pitched blacks with a super bright screen made the plasma look dated.the f8500 is still a legend thou
camaro8500 is offline  
post #13090 of 13093 Unread Today, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
HLdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro8500 View Post
Saw the 60 in f8500 for 1600 at best buy looked really good , next to it was a samsung suhd js8500 edge light playing an exodoz hdr demo, wow technology has truly evolved, pitched blacks with a super bright screen made the plasma look dated.the f8500 is still a legend thou
Every single bit of what you viewed on that LCD was perceived pitched blacks believe it or not. Take both into your home and sit them side by side. Turn down the lighting (or better still, turn off all the lights) and watch the same movie on them, such as Gravity. You will see all sorts of clouding and flash lighting effects around the edges of the LCD. The "blacks" will have a very washed-out look, especially if the movie you're watching has the letterbox (black bars top and bottom). Don't bother sitting anywhere off axis when watching the movie on the LCD, it will lose color, brightness and blacks.

The F8500 rivals the brightest LCD TV's so the settings may not have been set to match the LCD. Doesn't matter anyway, that type of brightness that you see on an LCD TV in the store is never a real world setting in your home. An LCD has it's place but the technology has not moved anywhere close to a Plasma, especially an edge-lit model.

That's why LCD's sold so well against Plasma in stores. Perception. In home tells the true story.
HLdan is offline  
post #13091 of 13093 Unread Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,427
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
true story.

first, last, only led i've ever bought i returned twice thinking it was defective. i mean, how could it not be defective, how could anybody accept this? that was my thought anyway, had no idea flashlighting existed and was ACCEPTED by the general public. i even tried installing three potlights directly over the tv to try and hide the flashlighting but it just needed SO much light before i got those 'apparent blacks' that it was no longer comfortable for me to watch.

ironically, my only real complaint with the f8500 is it's too fricken bright. gave me terrible headaches and eyestrain for the first year i had it. tried so many different ways to tame it, but eventually the only good method for me was adjusting the voltages at the back. that was the only way to reduce the brightness without killing the contrast. now i've very happy with it. comfortable to watch, and still gives me amazing contrast

basically for me, there's no point in going brighter, in fact it's a NEGATIVE thing if it's brighter. i'd say about 40ftl is my limit(currently have mine around 35ftl). anything more than that is painful. on the other hand, you can't get too black. the darker black, the better the contrast, the better the image, and there's no limit, it can't get too black and cause eyestrain, only bliss.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
post #13092 of 13093 Unread Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
true story.

first, last, only led i've ever bought i returned twice thinking it was defective. i mean, how could it not be defective, how could anybody accept this? that was my thought anyway, had no idea flashlighting existed and was ACCEPTED by the general public. i even tried installing three potlights directly over the tv to try and hide the flashlighting but it just needed SO much light before i got those 'apparent blacks' that it was no longer comfortable for me to watch.

ironically, my only real complaint with the f8500 is it's too fricken bright. gave me terrible headaches and eyestrain for the first year i had it. tried so many different ways to tame it, but eventually the only good method for me was adjusting the voltages at the back. that was the only way to reduce the brightness without killing the contrast. now i've very happy with it. comfortable to watch, and still gives me amazing contrast

basically for me, there's no point in going brighter, in fact it's a NEGATIVE thing if it's brighter. i'd say about 40ftl is my limit(currently have mine around 35ftl). anything more than that is painful. on the other hand, you can't get too black. the darker black, the better the contrast, the better the image, and there's no limit, it can't get too black and cause eyestrain, only bliss.
The latest shootout all those new bright tv's were calibrated to 35ftl. From what i read, the new 4K Sony FALD and Samsung FALD could hit 200 ftl. Blinded by the light!
wxman is online now  
post #13093 of 13093 Unread Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,427
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The latest shootout all those new bright tv's were calibrated to 35ftl. From what i read, the new 4K Sony FALD and Samsung FALD could hit 200 ftl. Blinded by the light!
like buying a car that can hit 300mph but take 20seconds to go 0-60. what good is it?

unless they make it weatherproof and then i'd consider it for an outdoor tv

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off