Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 437 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #13081 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
There are no LEDs that come anywhere near a plasma.

OLED comes close, but some have issues with the motion presented; I've never been bothered at all when watching Blu-rays at local Best Buys as long as you turn all the motion smoothing options off.
The two FALD models I listed do come close. Calibrators on this forum have shown the blacks on those two models as low as the F8500. Granted, the F8500 is not the best at blacks when compared to the VT/ZT or Kuros. The F8500 is superior to the Samsung JS9500 when it comes to motion, with the Sony producing excellent motion. Where the F8500 truly excels is viewing angles. LED will never match plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13082 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Here a review of both the Sony and Samsung models by Chad B.

**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread

Samsung JS9500 owners thread

I would still get another F8500 as a replacement, but the black levels on the Sony are as good as the F8500. However, you sacrifice viewing angles with any LED TV.
post #13083 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Deleted. Double post.
post #13084 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The two FALD models I listed do come close. Calibrators on this forum have shown the blacks on those two models as low as the F8500. Granted, the F8500 is not the best at blacks when compared to the VT/ZT or Kuros. The F8500 is superior to the Samsung JS9500 when it comes to motion, with the Sony producing excellent motion. Where the F8500 truly excels is viewing angles. LED will never match plasma.
Close perhaps, but few things bother me more than blooming, which both the models listed do.

Quite frankly, though the 8500 may have slightly elevated black levels compared to others, it's a huge improvement over my 2004 TH-50PHD6UY.
post #13085 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Close perhaps, but few things bother me more than blooming, which both the models listed do.

Quite frankly, though the 8500 may have slightly elevated black levels compared to others, it's a huge improvement over my 2004 TH-50PHD6UY.
I agree with the blooming issues with FALD. Unfortunately for the previous poster, they are only offering him an LED tv as a replacement. So all we can really do is recommend the best available ones out there.
post #13086 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
No matter what these manufacturers do to an LCD to get them to match Plasma, they will still inherent the same annoying issues of flash-lighting, clouding and with FALD, blooming. No matter how much tweaking from calibrators, blacks will never be consistent when the viewing angles suck so badly.
post #13087 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Kind of a bummer Samsung removed the movie app. It was actually kind of slick. I didn't use it much but it was nice to be able to search across all the streaming movie services.
post #13088 of 13110 Old 07-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Kind of a bummer Samsung removed the movie app. It was actually kind of slick. I didn't use it much but it was nice to be able to search across all the streaming movie services.
Sad. They remove something useful but keep around those annoying banners to remind you they are going to make changes and there's no way to get rid of the banner until they remove a month later. The only way to prevent Samsung from controlling our TV's is to disconnect them from the internet.
post #13089 of 13110 Old 07-07-2015, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Saw the 60 in f8500 for 1600 at best buy looked really good , next to it was a samsung suhd js8500 edge light playing an exodoz hdr demo, wow technology has truly evolved, pitched blacks with a super bright screen made the plasma look dated.the f8500 is still a legend thou
post #13090 of 13110 Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro8500 View Post
Saw the 60 in f8500 for 1600 at best buy looked really good , next to it was a samsung suhd js8500 edge light playing an exodoz hdr demo, wow technology has truly evolved, pitched blacks with a super bright screen made the plasma look dated.the f8500 is still a legend thou
Every single bit of what you viewed on that LCD was perceived pitched blacks believe it or not. Take both into your home and sit them side by side. Turn down the lighting (or better still, turn off all the lights) and watch the same movie on them, such as Gravity. You will see all sorts of clouding and flash lighting effects around the edges of the LCD. The "blacks" will have a very washed-out look, especially if the movie you're watching has the letterbox (black bars top and bottom). Don't bother sitting anywhere off axis when watching the movie on the LCD, it will lose color, brightness and blacks.

The F8500 rivals the brightest LCD TV's so the settings may not have been set to match the LCD. Doesn't matter anyway, that type of brightness that you see on an LCD TV in the store is never a real world setting in your home. An LCD has it's place but the technology has not moved anywhere close to a Plasma, especially an edge-lit model.

That's why LCD's sold so well against Plasma in stores. Perception. In home tells the true story.
post #13091 of 13110 Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
true story.

first, last, only led i've ever bought i returned twice thinking it was defective. i mean, how could it not be defective, how could anybody accept this? that was my thought anyway, had no idea flashlighting existed and was ACCEPTED by the general public. i even tried installing three potlights directly over the tv to try and hide the flashlighting but it just needed SO much light before i got those 'apparent blacks' that it was no longer comfortable for me to watch.

ironically, my only real complaint with the f8500 is it's too fricken bright. gave me terrible headaches and eyestrain for the first year i had it. tried so many different ways to tame it, but eventually the only good method for me was adjusting the voltages at the back. that was the only way to reduce the brightness without killing the contrast. now i've very happy with it. comfortable to watch, and still gives me amazing contrast

basically for me, there's no point in going brighter, in fact it's a NEGATIVE thing if it's brighter. i'd say about 40ftl is my limit(currently have mine around 35ftl). anything more than that is painful. on the other hand, you can't get too black. the darker black, the better the contrast, the better the image, and there's no limit, it can't get too black and cause eyestrain, only bliss.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #13092 of 13110 Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
true story.

first, last, only led i've ever bought i returned twice thinking it was defective. i mean, how could it not be defective, how could anybody accept this? that was my thought anyway, had no idea flashlighting existed and was ACCEPTED by the general public. i even tried installing three potlights directly over the tv to try and hide the flashlighting but it just needed SO much light before i got those 'apparent blacks' that it was no longer comfortable for me to watch.

ironically, my only real complaint with the f8500 is it's too fricken bright. gave me terrible headaches and eyestrain for the first year i had it. tried so many different ways to tame it, but eventually the only good method for me was adjusting the voltages at the back. that was the only way to reduce the brightness without killing the contrast. now i've very happy with it. comfortable to watch, and still gives me amazing contrast

basically for me, there's no point in going brighter, in fact it's a NEGATIVE thing if it's brighter. i'd say about 40ftl is my limit(currently have mine around 35ftl). anything more than that is painful. on the other hand, you can't get too black. the darker black, the better the contrast, the better the image, and there's no limit, it can't get too black and cause eyestrain, only bliss.
The latest shootout all those new bright tv's were calibrated to 35ftl. From what i read, the new 4K Sony FALD and Samsung FALD could hit 200 ftl. Blinded by the light!
post #13093 of 13110 Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Quote:
The latest shootout all those new bright tv's were calibrated to 35ftl. From what i read, the new 4K Sony FALD and Samsung FALD could hit 200 ftl. Blinded by the light!
like buying a car that can hit 300mph but take 20seconds to go 0-60. what good is it?

unless they make it weatherproof and then i'd consider it for an outdoor tv

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #13094 of 13110 Old 07-24-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hoping someone can provide some insight ... sometimes when I turn the TV on I get sound, but no picture, and the red light is flashing. If I unplug the TV and plug it back in, then turn it on everything is fine again. (This is when turning on with the TV's tuner the default input. I've never had issues with hdmi inputs to date). It's probably happened about 4 times over the past 2 months. Any idea what the problem is, and if this is a common fault with the F8500?
post #13095 of 13110 Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyaustralia View Post
Hoping someone can provide some insight ... sometimes when I turn the TV on I get sound, but no picture, and the red light is flashing. If I unplug the TV and plug it back in, then turn it on everything is fine again. (This is when turning on with the TV's tuner the default input. I've never had issues with hdmi inputs to date). It's probably happened about 4 times over the past 2 months. Any idea what the problem is, and if this is a common fault with the F8500?
Wondering if it's a capacitor problem similar to the Philips/Panasonic plasmas of the mid-2000's ???
post #13096 of 13110 Old 07-24-2015, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Wondering if it's a capacitor problem similar to the Philips/Panasonic plasmas of the mid-2000's ???

I found one reference to the same problem over on avforums, though no explanation offered. He did say if he leaves the TV off for about 10 minutes it turns on again ok. Could it be the capacitors overheating and giving them a short amount of time to cool down a little is resolving the issue? Pure speculation on my part and I'm sure others here would have far more knowledge than me. Any assistance would be appreciated. I've had the TV for about a year and a half and problem has only surfaced in the last couple of months.
post #13097 of 13110 Old 08-09-2015, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
...They remove something useful but keep around those annoying banners to remind you they are going to make changes and there's no way to get rid of the banner until they remove a month later...
I recently changed the settings of my wireless router to make it block the following website:

notice.samsungcloudsolution.com

Since then I haven't received any more banners from Samsung. (Bliss!!!)
post #13098 of 13110 Old 08-10-2015, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo2.0 View Post
I recently changed the settings of my wireless router to make it block the following website:

I don't think Samsung has sent any new notices in the last month. ....at least none that has popped up on my 8500 and I haven't blocked anything on my router.
post #13099 of 13110 Old 08-10-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone update to the 1206.3 from March and notice any difference/improvements? Just curious...
post #13100 of 13110 Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo2.0 View Post

I hope that works out for you but I think your timing was just too perfect. Samsung manages to strong-arm those annoying notices to anyone that connects their F8500 to the internet. I don't see how certain router settings could block a banner message without disturbing the internet services provided to the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I don't think Samsung has sent any new notices in the last month. ....at least none that has popped up on my 8500 and I haven't blocked anything on my router.
Same here. I think it may have just been perfect timing of the other poster. Just waiting to buy the new TV. Once I get that I am disconnecting my F8500 from the internet. It's a tad more inconvenient but I don't like how Samsung thinks they have a right to Big Brother my TV.
post #13101 of 13110 Old 08-11-2015, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Guys--

HELP! I bought a PN64F8500 about two weeks ago from amazon warehouse deals. It arrived in the original box looking brand new--worked like a charm . . . for two weeks. Then, this evening, when I turned it on, the red stand-by light started flashing as usual, and I got a whitish flash on the screen, the red light continued to flash, but no image whatsoever--the screen turns black; then the red light stops flashing--but proceeds to start flashing again, the TV again shows the momentary whitish flash while the red light flashes, but then again just a black screen, and back to the steady red light--and so on and so on. So basically, the set doesn't turn on, but with those characteristics. I've tried unplugging and re-plugging, but that doesn't help.

Have any of you experienced this syndrome or heard of anyone who has? If so, what is likely to be the source of this problem? The power supply? The panel? Something else? Does it sound like something that can be repaired in-home, or will the TV have to go out for repair?

Any informed conjectures about what I might be experiencing here would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #13102 of 13110 Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kaufman View Post
Guys--

HELP! I bought a PN64F8500 about two weeks ago from amazon warehouse deals. It arrived in the original box looking brand new--worked like a charm . . . for two weeks. Then, this evening, when I turned it on, the red stand-by light started flashing as usual, and I got a whitish flash on the screen, the red light continued to flash, but no image whatsoever--the screen turns black; then the red light stops flashing--but proceeds to start flashing again, the TV again shows the momentary whitish flash while the red light flashes, but then again just a black screen, and back to the steady red light--and so on and so on. So basically, the set doesn't turn on, but with those characteristics. I've tried unplugging and re-plugging, but that doesn't help.

Have any of you experienced this syndrome or heard of anyone who has? If so, what is likely to be the source of this problem? The power supply? The panel? Something else? Does it sound like something that can be repaired in-home, or will the TV have to go out for repair?

Any informed conjectures about what I might be experiencing here would be appreciated. Thanks!
Probably the power supply. It can happen, not as common. Is it under any warranty?

<Shopping> | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3

Past: Samsung 51 F8500 PDP
post #13103 of 13110 Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 PM

Here's what happened with my dead PN64F8500: Samsung recommended replacing the main board and the Y main board. The main board came quickly from New Jersey, but it was taking FOREVER to get a Y-main board from California--for two weeks I got bamboozled with promises of tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow--complete bull****. It appears that there is already a parts shortage looming for this set--for now Y-main boards and panels are scarce--and unless there's a stash somewhere in Korea, this set may not be repairable in the near future (anyone with contrary information please speak up). In this circumstance, has anyone been offered a replacement by Samsung--and if so, which set are they offering?

In my case, the ending is happy, for now. I had the tech come over and install just the main mother board, hoping that would solve the problem, and voila! It worked. So the Y-main was not needed. But this parts shortage is appalling--they are legally obliged to stock parts for their TVs for seven years--and this model ceased production only last November! What contempt for their customers!

Now a question--I have a 51-inch f8500 in the bedroom and a 64-incher in the livingroom (just repaired). I've always thought that, with identical settings. the larger screen looks very subtly less bright and punchy than the smaller one. It's a very slight thing--maybe I'm even imagining it. Is there any technical reason that a larger plasma screen would be less bright than an equivalent smaller one? Thanks in advance for any technical info. on this.
post #13104 of 13110 Old 08-29-2015, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 314
The Y board seems to fix the power on after a brief shutdown problem that even after the replacement of my power supply I still sort of have.

Unfortunately, as you found, Y boards pretty much no longer exist.

I fully expect if my F8500 dies within the next few years, I'll end up with a refund or offer of a replacement LCD that I'll have to CraigsList.

As far as the brightness issue, I suspect that it's because equivalent brightness from a smaller physical area will always look brighter, though it may also be that TVs differ from unit to unit and brightness "30" on one TV very likely looks different that "30" on another.
post #13105 of 13110 Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kaufman View Post
In this circumstance, has anyone been offered a replacement by Samsung--and if so, which set are they offering?

In my case, the ending is happy, for now. I had the tech come over and install just the main mother board, hoping that would solve the problem, and voila! It worked. So the Y-main was not needed. But this parts shortage is appalling--they are legally obliged to stock parts for their TVs for seven years--and this model ceased production only last November! What contempt for their customers!

Now a question--I have a 51-inch f8500 in the bedroom and a 64-incher in the livingroom (just repaired). I've always thought that, with identical settings. the larger screen looks very subtly less bright and punchy than the smaller one. It's a very slight thing--maybe I'm even imagining it. Is there any technical reason that a larger plasma screen would be less bright than an equivalent smaller one? Thanks in advance for any technical info. on this.
Re the replacement. see this:
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread
Yes, that is an old post, but is at least authoritative.

I'm certain that Samsung is NOT legallly required to provide parts for 7 years. Instead they are allowed to replace the set.

The 51" set requires less power (fewer watts), so is "brighter" than the 64"at\with the same contrast and cell settings.
post #13106 of 13110 Old 08-30-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post
Re the replacement. see this:I'm certain that Samsung is NOT legallly required to provide parts for 7 years. Instead they are allowed to replace the set
California sets the standards for the toughest consumer protection laws in the country. See the following from the CA civil code:

Cali civil code 1793.03

(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product
post #13107 of 13110 Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
[QUOTE=William Kaufman;36890674]California sets the standards for the toughest consumer protection laws in the country. See the following from the CA civil code:

Cali civil code 1793.03
/QUOTE]

True, but 49/50 are not in CA...
post #13108 of 13110 Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 PM

WantsNWarrants--you were absolutely sure that Samsung is NOT (all caps yours) obliged to provide parts for seven years for its products. Now you know that in the nation's largest state, with 12 percent of the population, they are legally required to do so, which means they are expected to retain an adequate provision of such parts for at least 37 million potential customers. Now I could start plowing through other state consumer codes and find other such provisions if you want me to. The point is your certainty turned out to be mistaken, and many companies that decide to comply with the California law keep adequate parts not only for Californians but also for customers all over the world. Samsung does not--at least not in this case. And their customer service sucks.
post #13109 of 13110 Old 08-31-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
In a potentially worse scenario for people living outside of California if parts were to get scarce they could deny them to people in other states because they are saving them for people in California.
post #13110 of 13110 Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
In a potentially worse scenario for people living outside of California if parts were to get scarce they could deny them to people in other states because they are saving them for people in California.
The problem is that parts are already scarce everywhere. I think they're just willing to risk the legal reprisals in this case/
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page