Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 437 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #13081 of 13088 Old Today, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
There are no LEDs that come anywhere near a plasma.

OLED comes close, but some have issues with the motion presented; I've never been bothered at all when watching Blu-rays at local Best Buys as long as you turn all the motion smoothing options off.
The two FALD models I listed do come close. Calibrators on this forum have shown the blacks on those two models as low as the F8500. Granted, the F8500 is not the best at blacks when compared to the VT/ZT or Kuros. The F8500 is superior to the Samsung JS9500 when it comes to motion, with the Sony producing excellent motion. Where the F8500 truly excels is viewing angles. LED will never match plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13082 of 13088 Old Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Here a review of both the Sony and Samsung models by Chad B.

**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread

Samsung JS9500 owners thread

I would still get another F8500 as a replacement, but the black levels on the Sony are as good as the F8500. However, you sacrifice viewing angles with any LED TV.
post #13083 of 13088 Old Today, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Deleted. Double post.
post #13084 of 13088 Old Today, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The two FALD models I listed do come close. Calibrators on this forum have shown the blacks on those two models as low as the F8500. Granted, the F8500 is not the best at blacks when compared to the VT/ZT or Kuros. The F8500 is superior to the Samsung JS9500 when it comes to motion, with the Sony producing excellent motion. Where the F8500 truly excels is viewing angles. LED will never match plasma.
Close perhaps, but few things bother me more than blooming, which both the models listed do.

Quite frankly, though the 8500 may have slightly elevated black levels compared to others, it's a huge improvement over my 2004 TH-50PHD6UY.
post #13085 of 13088 Old Today, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Close perhaps, but few things bother me more than blooming, which both the models listed do.

Quite frankly, though the 8500 may have slightly elevated black levels compared to others, it's a huge improvement over my 2004 TH-50PHD6UY.
I agree with the blooming issues with FALD. Unfortunately for the previous poster, they are only offering him an LED tv as a replacement. So all we can really do is recommend the best available ones out there.
post #13086 of 13088 Unread Today, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
No matter what these manufacturers do to an LCD to get them to match Plasma, they will still inherent the same annoying issues of flash-lighting, clouding and with FALD, blooming. No matter how much tweaking from calibrators, blacks will never be consistent when the viewing angles suck so badly.
post #13087 of 13088 Unread Today, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Kind of a bummer Samsung removed the movie app. It was actually kind of slick. I didn't use it much but it was nice to be able to search across all the streaming movie services.
post #13088 of 13088 Unread Today, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Kind of a bummer Samsung removed the movie app. It was actually kind of slick. I didn't use it much but it was nice to be able to search across all the streaming movie services.
Sad. They remove something useful but keep around those annoying banners to remind you they are going to make changes and there's no way to get rid of the banner until they remove a month later. The only way to prevent Samsung from controlling our TV's is to disconnect them from the internet.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page