Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 439 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 203Likes

Old 09-29-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 256
There is an outfit in Philadelphia named Senco that can rebuild just about any part from any higher end display (Main boards, Y SUS, ETC)

You send them the part and they rebuild it. Might be worth trying.

Contact info:
Senco 215-742-9654.
Sen Alagic is the contact.
Email is plasmatech@gmail.com

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 307
The store just contacted me to say that the panel will be replaced by Samsung under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
My 60F8500 is just about to turn 1 year-old, and I have opened a support ticket with my seller. Let's see if this issue is common or not...

My TV was flawless when I got it. but developed a few black pixels on the left edge after a few months. That has progressed into the screen and covers an area 6 pixels wide by close to 30 in height at its maximum. The pixels are not dead, but they flicker a bit. On a white background, some are brightly colored. Also, when I have a completely dark screen, I detect a darker semicircle about 6 inches in radius centered on that area.

See this post for screen pics. Thanks!
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread
HLdan and ermghoti like this.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
can someone guide me how to configure the TV IP settings in order to connect to Netfix etc....i am located abroad currently

Is there any hidden menu where i can access more feature/test mode in the tv ?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
can someone guide me how to configure the TV IP settings in order to connect to Netfix etc....i am located abroad currently

Old 10-22-2015, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryau View Post
Not without LOTS more information.

How do you intend to connect? I presume wirelessly? Who will provide a wireless hotspot? Does that hotspot use WEP or WPA - or is it open? Can you browse an SSID?

Frankly, I doubt you're going to accomplish an internet connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryau View Post
I donlt think so. I believe that the Network menu is all there is.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb24 View Post
I have a 64f8500 and I am having trouble with it coming on. I have to unplug it several times and try to turn it on and off several times before it decides to finally come on. Once it is on, it will work perfect until I turn it off again and then I have start the problem all over again. Does anyone have any idea which board I need to replace. It will just set there and blink the red light off and on.
I had that issue and it was the power supply. It will work intermittently, so you may need a tech out a couple times. I video'd the issue and emailed it to him, he was able to order the parts from there.

Hopefully your under a warranty, a PSU is around $300 for the part.

<Shopping> | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3

Past: Samsung 51 F8500 PDP
Old 10-23-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hello F8500 owners.

I currently have a Panasonic 54V10 plasma and am (sort of) in the market to upgrade.

There is a 64F8500 for sale locally, and I am curious as to what a fair price might be. Owner is asking $2200/best offer.

Anything even approaching $2K is well beyond what I am willing to spend at the moment. I don't NEED a new set, just somewhat curious.

Are these sets going for less than $1500, or is that a pipe dream?

Any reason I should not go with a F8500 anymore? Have FALD LCD sets closed the gap, where a used plasma is no longer the way to go?

thanks,
steve

I apologize if this is not the thread for these types of questions.

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kuester View Post
There is a 64F8500 for sale locally, and I am curious as to what a fair price might be. Owner is asking $2200/best offer.
Hi Steve. With the F8500 it's really not a question of what's considered "fair" in terms of price. It's a reference TV that has won multiple showdowns against other TV's and for the most part it's out of normal circulation. Unless the price is just plain ridiculous from a money-grabbing reseller in the amount of $5000+ then I would say $2200 is a very good price. It also matters how many hours of use has been on the set, if there is any IR (chances are minimal with the Samsung sets) and if the overall cabinet is in good condition. Also ask for any repair history.

Quote:
Anything even approaching $2K is well beyond what I am willing to spend at the moment. I don't NEED a new set, just somewhat curious.

Are these sets going for less than $1500, or is that a pipe dream?
Pipe dream. But anything is possible. Depends on the desperation of the seller to get rid of one. It's still one of the best Plasmas ever made and the last great Plasma made.

Quote:
Any reason I should not go with a F8500 anymore? Have FALD LCD sets closed the gap, where a used plasma is no longer the way to go?
FALD sets have not closed any gaps (at least from my experience). While they do eliminate any clouding or flashing to an extent, they still have the blooming effect around white text or other objects during darker scenes. Then there's the issue that FALD sets won't be able to overcome and that's the limited viewing angle. It's still an LCD so the viewing sweet-spot will still hold true. IPS screens matter none. In order to get the best color and brightness you have to still be sitting directly in the middle of the set. Still unacceptable. The black levels are still not approaching Plasma either.

If you prefer something new and want it to be on par with "Plasma quality" then look to OLED. Yes, they cost more but many long-time Plasma owners won't be all that satisfied with a replacement FALD set.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Would like to control/view F8500 remotely over VPN

Have VPN working. Would like to control F8500 remotely over VPN with my Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 2014, to watch DVR recorded Verizon programs over Internet/LAN.

Have Verizon Mobile App which allows control of Verizon DVR over Internet/LAN. My Samsung Smart View App works when F8500 is on. Only have to find way to power on F8500 over Internet/LAN.

Found some products that do IR over Internet/LAN. Anyone have success stories or found what doesn't work?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
265 (HEVC) files

Hi to all F8500 owners!

anyone out there has HEVC decoding?
My is not able to decode either .ts or .265 files from my NAS, so I wonder does Samsung support it on our TV sets?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsag View Post
Hi to all F8500 owners!

anyone out there has HEVC decoding?
My is not able to decode either .ts or .265 files from my NAS, so I wonder does Samsung support it on our TV sets?
page 160 from the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	codec.png
Views:	148
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1026353  

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 10-30-2015, 03:53 AM

So definitely no HEVC/X265 support. Sad since the CPU could handle it without problems.

I've read on various sites that it will be supported on our set, but it seems not to be of any interest
to Samsung anymore.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So definitely no HEVC/X265 support. Sad since the CPU could handle it without problems.

I've read on various sites that it will be supported on our set, but it seems not to be of any interest
to Samsung anymore.
Thought it was mainly for 4K. Forgive ignorance, what's wrong with H264?

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 10-30-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Thought it was mainly for 4K. Forgive ignorance, what's wrong with H264?
Nothing wrong, but HEVC is coming since the files are much more compact.
And I will have to purchase a KODI player with HEVC support soon...
Old 10-31-2015, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Nothing wrong, but HEVC is coming since the files are much more compact.
And I will have to purchase a KODI player with HEVC support soon...
And unfortunately - even though Samsung has promised it - we are not seeing any Evolution Kits for the TV either, so there won't be an upgrade that could/would support it.

Such a let down from Samsung. Looks like they want us to spend even more money and "upgrade" to one of their meh-ish curved 4K LCDs.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I sold my PN51F8500 for $850 and also insured it for that amount with UPS. Unfortunately UPS (I know, what the heck was I thinking) did a number on the carton during transit and the panel is fractured and God knows what else is damaged. Form the pictures I got from the buyer (who was given a full refund) it appears the carton was on its side and other package(s) were placed on top of it. I'm hoping UPS does the right thing and reimburses me the insured value and doesn't even think of taking me down the rabbit hole of trying to replace the panel and other repairs that may be necessary.

Am I correct that replacing the panel by itself would cost more than $850 for the 51" model? I would appreciate any feedback from those who had any experience with replacing their panel or anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks!

Samsung PN60E7000
LG 55EG9100
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
Old 12-12-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
FALD sets have not closed any gaps (at least from my experience). While they do eliminate any clouding or flashing to an extent, they still have the blooming effect around white text or other objects during darker scenes. Then there's the issue that FALD sets won't be able to overcome and that's the limited viewing angle. It's still an LCD so the viewing sweet-spot will still hold true. IPS screens matter none. In order to get the best color and brightness you have to still be sitting directly in the middle of the set. Still unacceptable. The black levels are still not approaching Plasma either.

If you prefer something new and want it to be on par with "Plasma quality" then look to OLED. Yes, they cost more but many long-time Plasma owners won't be all that satisfied with a replacement FALD set.
Amen brother! While black and contrast levels can be impressive with some content most of the time the areas of contrast are too small for dimming to be nearly as effective as a self-emissive display. And in addition to blooming there is also messed up color luminosity from the dimming scheme. And the sweet spot is even narrower on FALD sets as blooming is the first to be noticed from off angle viewing.

While I certainly think a well implemented FALD scheme provides a noticeable step up in PQ I also think its drawbacks are minimized by many LCD enthusiasts. The 2015 HDTV shootout just wasn't the same without Kevin Miller and DeWayne Davis. Especially D-Nice as he didn't pull his punches.

Samsung PN60E7000
LG 55EG9100
Old 12-12-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I sold my PN51F8500 for $850 and also insured it for that amount with UPS. Unfortunately UPS (I know, what the heck was I thinking) did a number on the carton during transit and the panel is fractured and God knows what else is damaged. Form the pictures I got from the buyer (who was given a full refund) it appears the carton was on its side and other package(s) were placed on top of it. I'm hoping UPS does the right thing and reimburses me the insured value and doesn't even think of taking me down the rabbit hole of trying to replace the panel and other repairs that may be necessary.

Am I correct that replacing the panel by itself would cost more than $850 for the 51" model? I would appreciate any feedback from those who had any experience with replacing their panel or anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks!
Basically UPS is likely to check if the packaging followed their guidelines for shipping fragile items and my balk at paying if it did not.

Note that factory shipping boxes are not necessarily designed to survive UPS but rather shipment in cargo containers, on pallets and by trucking firms.

UPS packaging guidelines

Last edited by kucharsk; 12-12-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Basically UPS is likely to check if the packaging followed their guidelines for shipping fragile items and my balk at paying if it did not.

Note that factory shipping boxes are not necessarily designed to survive UPS but rather shipment in cargo containers and by trucking firms.
I was able to talk them into filing the claim for processing. At this point I need to find out how cost prohibitive it is for a panel replacement.

Samsung PN60E7000
LG 55EG9100

Last edited by venus933; 12-12-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Streaming Amazon prime music via my 8500

When I tried it via the installed browser, I got a message saying I had to download a browser such as Chrome. Is that the best way to go or is there a workaround?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Fortunately I use movie mode exclusively on my 51F8500 so this isn't a really big deal, but.....

While messing around checking out standard mode to possibly use for watching football I noticed that although the picture looks as it should when first applying the mode within 15-30 seconds the picture loses much of it's contrast/brightness. It reminds me of when an old tube tv is dying of old age.

My biggest worry is that this phenomenon may find it's way to other modes. I did a search and haven't found any history of this, any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
Fortunately I use movie mode exclusively on my 51F8500 so this isn't a really big deal, but.....

While messing around checking out standard mode to possibly use for watching football I noticed that although the picture looks as it should when first applying the mode within 15-30 seconds the picture loses much of it's contrast/brightness. It reminds me of when an old tube tv is dying of old age.

My biggest worry is that this phenomenon may find it's way to other modes. I did a search and haven't found any history of this, any thoughts? Thanks.
check..

--Picture menu

Advanced settings submenu:
  • Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
check..

--Picture menu

Not at home now but will check. Thanks Hpp.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
check..

--Picture menu

Motion lighting is off but it is not grayed out on standard mode like it is on movie mode. Since you mentioned it I take it that it matters but I don't know why. Help would be appreciated.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kid Broke panel.

So, long story short. I had my 64" for 7 months before son decided to break the panel on my most prized possession. It has been sitting by my front door for months because I'm still in mourning. Anyway, is it worth gutting the TV for the various boards and attempting to resell?

BTW. I purchased a Samsung UN65JS8500 4k SUHD as a replacement. Very unimpressed and miss my plasma every time I see a dark scene.

Thanks, Tom
Old 01-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Motion lighting is off but it is not grayed out on standard mode like it is on movie mode. Since you mentioned it I take it that it matters but I don't know why. Help would be appreciated.
Then only other setting I can think of is the ECO.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

I know what you mean and have seen this myself with my display.
I don't think this is anything to worry about.
My guess is it takes a second or two for the new mode to fully stabillize (for lack of a better term).

Samsung 60" F8500
Samsung BD-F7500
Pioneer 1024K
PSB Image 8C,5T,2B,Alpha
Polk PSW10 (x 2)
Monster HTS5100mkII
Old 01-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then only other setting I can think of is the ECO.
One of the first things I did when setting up the TV was turning ECO off but it was, somehow, back on. I turned it off and the problem is gone. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Steve View Post
I know what you mean and have seen this myself with my display.
I don't think this is anything to worry about.
My guess is it takes a second or two for the new mode to fully stabillize (for lack of a better term).
Thanks for the thought. Check prior reply for solution.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead760 View Post
Anyway, is it worth gutting the TV for the various boards and attempting to resell?

If you look on ebay you will see a number of the parts from the f8500 on there. Mainboards, power supplies etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv