Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 203Likes
post #13171 of 13179 Old 01-07-2016, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
One of the first things I did when setting up the TV was turning ECO off but it was, somehow, back on. I turned it off and the problem is gone. Thanks.
I had a similar issue where my custom picture settings were lost, and then found out that using the "service menu" automatically reverts some of your settings back to factory. I used the service menu just to look at a few things without changing any values, but when I restarted the TV all of my picture customizations were lost. However, I don't recall if the ECO setting was reverted too as a result of using the service menu.

Why shouldn't we list our equipment in our signatures? That's weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 13179 Old 01-07-2016, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is it normal for the "new and improved" smart hub to only have 3 icons instead of 5 now? I turned my TV on last night after not watching it for a few days and noticed immediately at boot that there were only 3 icons where it always had 5 since day one.

It looked more impressive with 5 icons. I know the "social" screen is gone but I don't know what else they changed. The landing screen also has a handful of channel recommendations that look like they have arabic text, so I'm not sure what that is all about either, and I don't want to click on them for fear that the "smart" hub will think that is my preference or something...

Why shouldn't we list our equipment in our signatures? That's weird.
post #13173 of 13179 Old 01-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamKeys View Post
Is it normal for the "new and improved" smart hub to only have 3 icons instead of 5 now? I turned my TV on last night after not watching it for a few days and noticed immediately at boot that there were only 3 icons where it always had 5 since day one. It looked more impressive with 5 icons. I know the "social" screen is gone but I don't know what else they changed. The landing screen also has a handful of channel recommendations that look like they have arabic text, so I'm not sure what that is all about either, and I don't want to click on them for fear that the "smart" hub will think that is my preference or something...
That was a change announced (ad nauseam) onscreen (if you have a Samsung account) for the past 3 weeks or so. Samsung has been steadily eliminating many of the pointless services this TV originally offered (viewing guide?!), and many apps as well. When I bought the unit, I immediately set it to boot up to live TV, as all that other stuff is so much clutter. Yes, there are only 3 icons now, and I also saw several TV services with Arabic lettering, probably the Al Jazeera version of the Golf Shopping Channel...
(Edit 1/17/16 Al Jazeera just shut down all their US channels, so it's probably not that... LOL)

Last edited by MrNews; 01-17-2016 at 08:50 AM.
post #13174 of 13179 Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Good evening all,

I am experiencing something weird with my F8500 and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to fix it. The television seems to turn itself on at random times throughout the day. It is connected to a Denon X4000 via ARC, so maybe that is the culprit? I haven't tested it out yet, but it should turn itself off after 15 minutes of no signal so this could have happened from the beginning and I would have not known.

Thanks for any advice and please don't hesitate to ask me for more information if necessary.
post #13175 of 13179 Unread 09-26-2016, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Question for anyone that still reads this thread.

I have the 60" version and am looking at upgrading to LG OLED or one of samsung's quantum dot SUHD sets. What would your all opinion be on where the F8500 falls for picture quality.

I don't want to 'upgrade' to 4k and UHD but have terribly worse picture quality overall. It all boils down to, am I looking at paying another 3 grand or so for the same quality or have prices fallen for comparable tech?
post #13176 of 13179 Unread 09-26-2016, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Personally, I think you're paying a premium price (e.g. $5K for a OLED65G6P) for a minimal improvement of picture quality. There isn't much content available in native 4K resolution everything else is upscaled. If you want to take advantage of a UHD HT experience you'll also need to replace you're BD player & AVR too.

So it will cost approximately $10K to move from HD to UHD and who knows if the current UHD specs. will be in effect 5 years from now. However, I remember buying my 1st HDTV around 2003 w/2 HD channels to watch, now I have over 100 so perhaps by 2025 UHDTV will be a reality.

Save your money & don't bother upgrading until your current equipment requires replacement.
EscapeVelocity, rush2049 and vavan like this.
post #13177 of 13179 Unread 09-26-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
Question for anyone that still reads this thread.

I have the 60" version and am looking at upgrading to LG OLED or one of samsung's quantum dot SUHD sets. What would your all opinion be on where the F8500 falls for picture quality.

I don't want to 'upgrade' to 4k and UHD but have terribly worse picture quality overall. It all boils down to, am I looking at paying another 3 grand or so for the same quality or have prices fallen for comparable tech?
IMO the following PQ attributes will be a downgrade from your plasma from the OLEDs:

1) Motion resolution
2) Video processing
3) Near black detail/banding

Everything else should be the same or better, video processing should only be notable from poorer sources

From FALD LCDs:

1) They’re still transmissive displays!

The only Samsung that has FALD is the KS9800. Sony has the FALD 940D (75” only) and many are smitten with the new Sony Z9D series but the 65” model is priced at $6K . Personally I would only consider the Z9D among LCD televisions. Given your $3,000 or so price range the LG OLED 65B6 (65C6 if 3D is important to you) may be closes to your target especially as we approach the holidays. You're essentially getting the same PQ as the bloated G6.

The 2017 CES is only 3 months away and you can see if LG made any significant strides with their OLEDs, if not get the 65B6 and if so wait till this time next year – The F8500 is still very competitive with SDR content.
EscapeVelocity and rush2049 like this.

Samsung PN60E7000
LG 55EG9100
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #13178 of 13179 Unread Today, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews View Post
That was a change announced (ad nauseam) onscreen (if you have a Samsung account) for the past 3 weeks or so. Samsung has been steadily eliminating many of the pointless services this TV originally offered (viewing guide?!), and many apps as well. When I bought the unit, I immediately set it to boot up to live TV, as all that other stuff is so much clutter. Yes, there are only 3 icons now, and I also saw several TV services with Arabic lettering, probably the Al Jazeera version of the Golf Shopping Channel...
(Edit 1/17/16 Al Jazeera just shut down all their US channels, so it's probably not that... LOL)
Wait. I like the channel guid for my OTA channels! WTF!

You dont know what you got till its gone...
venus933 likes this.

Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Panasonic P50ST60 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Vizio VP322 Plasma
Sony S790 BD / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2 (Ver. 3)
Oppo 983H Anchor Bay VRS / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis / Oppo 970HD MediaTek
Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread