Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Gah... navigating and posting on this forum really does stink....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

I watched The Hobbit 3D last night.
I'd say excellent smile.gif
The crispness and brightness of the display really helps a 3D image.

Nice to hear. I have a 65ST30 but have never tried the 3D, but might on my next display and I was thinking the brightness and crispness of the F8500 would be a big positive.

post #1443 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I'm glad that you yourself said it that it is a SIMPLE ISSUE.
It is not about you, me or Ken only. It's about everybody. We are not saying to ignore it, but if you think it is affecting you in a major way then its better to inform Samsung about it or return the set. We don't want people to be scared of something which you have named it as a simple issue.

Come on man...Just because it should be a simple fix for Samsung doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the fact that it may be a major issue for certain people.

I only say simple because obviously Panasonic has it figured out.

BTW, I don't own the set...thankfully.
post #1444 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Excuse me, I misread your initial post.

If your source is via the tuner of the TV, then HDMI level will be grayed out as your source is not external therefore nothing to do with the level setting.
-You're using ARC to spit the sound to your AMP from the TV over HDMI not any picture.

Clear as mud?!
I am not using the TV tuner, TiVo DVR is my external source which feeds into the receiver and HDMI cable from receiver to HDMI 3 on TV. The reason for using the ARC was so I could get sound from the smart hub apps into the receiver. I am probably going to change that now because I just got the Harmony Touch remote and that controls all of my devices now. Turned off HDMI controls on all components which renders the ARC input useless on the TV for audio.
post #1445 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Now the 'film like experience' between a Kuro and an 8500, I have no idea since I haven't see both at the same time, calibrated, playing the same movie. Our memories are totally unreliable for both video and audio. However, I did see a calibrated VT50 right next to a calibrated 8500 playing the same movie. I saw nothing that would have made one a more film like experience over the other. I did see more detail on the 8500, confirmed by Robert and D-Nice. Did that detract from the film-like experience? Absolutely not. How could more detail detract from a film like experience??? I see more detail when I go to the movies than a typical display I watch at home. So if I have a display that comes closer to revealing more of that detail, to me that's more film-like, not less. smile.gif

Agreed. Considering a good 35 mm print has been estimated to be around 4K and one reason for 1080p is to get as close as we can to that, not sure why we would want to see less detailed or a "softer" image, but to each his own. I once argued with someone on the forum who told me Blu-ray was too sharp and he preferred standard DVD as it looked more like film. eek.gif

post #1446 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 13
I know most want to move on from the issue.

My one question about the "issue" is whether or not it's to the extent of the D series where I can't watch a movie with letterbox without most movies having scenes that cause the letterboxes to go black->grey->light grey->black over and over again. Many movies do this - with Jaws and Se7en causing a ton of problems. The issue is also apparent in dark scenes in full screen content but I seem to be the only one that is bothered by that (friends and family have mentioned the pops on letterboxed movies).

If this is just the ABL functioning every now and then on almost full white screens then I don't see it as a big issue since that is what the ABL is supposed to do.
post #1447 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

My one question about the "issue" is whether or not it's to the extent of the D series where I can't watch a movie with letterbox without most movies having scenes that cause the letterboxes to go black->grey->light grey->black over and over again. Many movies do this - with Jaws and Se7en causing a ton of problems. The issue is also apparent in dark scenes in full screen content but I seem to be the only one that is bothered by that (friends and family have mentioned the pops on letterboxed movies).

If this is just the ABL functioning every now and then on almost full white screens then I don't see it as a big issue since that is what the ABL is supposed to do.

Form reports so far it doesnt appear that it is as severe as what happened with the D series.....The only true judge of this can be you, as we all have different levels of sensitivity to this anomoly.........
post #1448 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I agree, everyone needs to research any display before plunking down large amounts of cash. But WattheF, I'm really not meaning to be flip here, but you've seen the issue, are really bothered by it and have decided it makes the set unwatchable for you. So what's the point in any further consideration on this display? I certainly wouldn't buy it hoping for a firmware update to address it. You can't bank on that.

From what I've seen, the Cal Day mode cures it, but you've heard that before. I don't know what settings are eliminating the issue within the Cal Day mode and even if you were planning to buy the display and not get it calibrated, you can't assume the issue will go away.

Although I've seen the issue and confirmed it for my own edification, where you and I have had radically different experiences is in the frequency of the occurrence and our perception of the magnitude when it does occur. In terms of the frequency of seeing it, if I had never seen it, then someone could make a valid point saying 'you don't know what to look for'. But since I have seen it and do know what to look for, it's not that I'm not recognizing the issue. You even claimed the video did not show the severity of what you've seen and yet what was depicted in the video was almost exactly the magnitude of what I've seen. So if there are actually worse occurrences, I surely would have seen them had they occurred on the displays I've seen.

So why you and I (and apparently many others) are having this wide disparity in the 'sighting frequency' (for lack of a better phrase wink.gif), I have no idea. It makes me scratch my head and I'd love to know the answer. confused.gif

But I think for what you're looking for, wouldn't the Panasonic 60 series be a better fit for you?

Yeah, To be honest (and you might think I'm crazy after all of this) I had a Panasonic 60 series in mind this year from the start. I really do prefer Panasonic anyways.

It just ridiculous that Samsung continues to overlook (or intentionally ignore) things like this.

Thanks for your help.
post #1449 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Is your D series fully updated? If so, have you tried doing a hard reset on it? I say this because I have a D7000 that had terrible fluctuating and read somewhere that doing these two things would cure the problem. I tried it (over a year ago) and have never had an issue since.
post #1450 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oplasmic View Post

Is your D series fully updated? If so, have you tried doing a hard reset on it? I say this because I have a D7000 that had terrible fluctuating and read somewhere that doing these two things would cure the problem. I tried it (over a year ago) and have never had an issue since.

Yeah, my D7000 is fully updated and has had the panel/main board replaced and the logic board replaced twice. I guess I could try another hard reset but it didn't work the first time and the "Fbr fix" firmware that updated the logic board worked for approximately the same amount of time each time I have done it (3-4 months).

Watching hockey games with a bit of ABL doesn't bother me, but the dark scenes and letterbox pops really annoy me so I am hopeful that these haven't returned again.
post #1451 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I just tried it two more (six total) using full screen. Nothing.

I'm older than old but corrected to 20/20. Never had cataract surgery. Doesn't that improve vision?

Yes it corrected mine to 20/20 at distance. However I am still missing the "brightness pops" correction. They said that would cost extra. wink.gif
post #1452 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Don't blink or you'll miss it. It's happens that fast. smile.gif
post #1453 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Broccoli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I just tried it two more (six total) using full screen. Nothing.

I'm older than old but corrected to 20/20. Never had cataract surgery. Doesn't that improve vision?

Yes it corrected mine to 20/20 at distance. However I am still missing the "brightness pops" correction. They said that would cost extra. wink.gif
I'm too cheap to pay extra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Don't blink or you'll miss it. It's happens that fast. smile.gif
That must be the reason. I've been blinking all my life.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1454 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Liked: 22
Hey everyone. I saw some stuff about people seeing judder or studdering from their sets. I am not sure if this is related or not but I have directv and an LCD tv. I have noticed the directv source has been studdering a lot. From sports to regular tv shows. I just wanted to put that out there incase anyone just got this TV and had directv and is seeing what I am seeing. If I saw this on my new TV I would be very upset. However, it is directv.
post #1455 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Surfmlb, do you also use either a cable provider or satellite? If so, can't you use their guide info for the same channels? That would eliminate the lag. I know the guide on the 8500 is supposed to integrate very well with Directv. Not sure how that works, but that's what I've read.

The built in guide is only meant for OTA. Yes, I have cable and you cant use the EPG guide built in the TV for cable unless you plug it in directly through coax connection on the back without a cable box and just use QAM. I never heard of it integrating with DirectTV. I'm sure the smart hub does but not the built in guide on TV source.

My Plasma is a PN51F8500 former 5010fd 8G Kuro owner

post #1456 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Hey everyone. I saw some stuff about people seeing judder or studdering from their sets. I am not sure if this is related or not but I have directv and an LCD tv. I have noticed the directv source has been studdering a lot. From sports to regular tv shows. I just wanted to put that out there incase anyone just got this TV and had directv and is seeing what I am seeing. If I saw this on my new TV I would be very upset. However, it is directv.

Yes I have direct tv but I still get the stuttering when watching a blue ray. I like the soap opera effect so I don't mind the judder correction, but even on standard judder correction it stutters even worse and with judder correction off I still get the occasional stutter. Is anyone else seeing this?
post #1457 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Ken he could, but only if he has a coax connected into the back of the TV.....since the TV has to "download" the information OTA I believe its always going to be slower with OTA, vs using a Coax to get the information, it may not be a limitation of the Set but the speed at which it can aquire the information...what I think surf would like is sometype of "memory" of what it has already download so that when he goes back to the guide it retains the information in some type of memory\buffer instead of grabbing it "as new" each time.....

You hit the nail on the head

post #1458 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 22
Can anyone comment on the reflection of this set? Preferably an owner. Thanks!
post #1459 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM

I'm assuming by looking at the stand that this set does not swivel?
post #1460 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

The built in guide is only meant for OTA. Yes, I have cable and you cant use the EPG guide built in the TV for cable unless you plug it in directly through coax connection on the back without a cable box and just use QAM. I never heard of it integrating with DirectTV. I'm sure the smart hub does but not the built in guide on TV source.

I know they used to integrate with STBs So you plug the STB via coax to the TV and the Guide asked you if you ahd "regular" cable ot STB cable....Havent seen a recent itteration of it so not sure if it still does that.......If you have DirectTV do a search for Samsung RVU, I didnt see it listed with 2013 models so Im not sure if they dropped it or continue the support with the new SmartTV Interface......
post #1461 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Ken, I'm only guessing it's possibly even lower for the MLL based on reports from the owner of the ChadB calibrated 64" set. He had said that black bars on film were not blending in completely with the bezel, while I think surfmlb had stated that he couldn't tell where the bezel began or ended on his 51". Obviously, there's a LOT of leeway here based on one person's eyes on one set and another person's eyes on another set, but Kevin's measurements have me thinking that this could indeed be the case. Can't go wrong either way, though. This is the most impressive plasma I've ever seen, and this is coming from a 9.5G Kuro owner smile.gif

I screwed up the hdmi black level. After fixing it, the black bars blend in completely. The blacks are insane.
post #1462 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:

I know they used to integrate with STBs So you plug the STB via coax to the TV and the Guide asked you if you ahd "regular" cable ot STB cable....Havent seen a recent itteration of it so not sure if it still does that.......If you have DirectTV do a search for Samsung RVU, I didnt see it listed with 2013 models so Im not sure if they dropped it or continue the support with the new SmartTV Interface......

The only problem is my Comcast HD cable STB doesnt have coax out.

post #1463 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Agreed. Considering a good 35 mm print has been estimated to be around 4K and one reason for 1080p is to get as close as we can to that, not sure why we would want to see less detailed or a "softer" image, but to each his own. I once argued with someone on the forum who told me Blu-ray was too sharp and he preferred standard DVD as it looked more like film. eek.gif

I believe what makes it look like film the most are colors that, for lack of a better word, glow! That's where the Kuro bests all others. The colors on a well calibrated Kuro(thanks Umr) have this glow to them that can only be described as "film-like",analog if you will.The Kuro is also the only Plasma to date that actually does 24fps correctly. It's colors too are as accurate as it currently gets on consumer level tvs.
I have viewed the 8500 for hours on end at Magnolia over many days. It is an impressive display for sure. Set to movie mode and warm 2 with all enhancements off, it looked slightly superior to the Panasonic vt-50 set to equivalent settings,especially with its appearant contrast and brightness capabilities. Having said that, It still didn't have that "analog glow" of colors that the Kuro possesses. The colors look digital (cold like) but only in relation to my Kuro and other Kuros that I have seen. Had I never seen a Kuro,I likely would never have noticed this.I still may have thought that it was not as "film-like" as in a movie theater. To me, this is the Kuros strength in addition to its superior black level. It does not have the pop of the 8500, but then again, my Oppo blu-ray does not have the pop of my LG blu-ray player. The LG looks snappy and all,but the Oppo looks more correct and like film. As nice as the 8500 seems to be,even with IT'S issues, I am sticking with my Kuro as recommended by my calibrator.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #1464 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Liked: 19
After living with a PN64F8500 (calibrated) for a couple weeks, I have come to realize that there are a ton of different settings, all of which can dramatically affect the picture. Getting the right settings is crucial. I have toyed with settings, tried different posted settings, and ultimately returned to the calibrated settings. I have never been so impressed with a tv. I had the HDMI black level set incorrectly and rectifying that made a night and day difference.

Bottom line 1: This is an incredible tv

Bottom line 2: Chances are pretty good that people who see this tv in showrooms are seeing one setup incorrectly due to the many combinations of settings.

Calibration is important, but there are many different "picture options" that need to be set correctly, not just turned off or switched to "normal" wink.gif
Ken Ross likes this.
post #1465 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

I have viewed the 8500 for hours on end at Magnolia over many days.

I find that hard to believe.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #1466 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Yeah, To be honest (and you might think I'm crazy after all of this) I had a Panasonic 60 series in mind this year from the start. I really do prefer Panasonic anyways.

It just ridiculous that Samsung continues to overlook (or intentionally ignore) things like this.

Thanks for your help.

No, to be honest, I kind of always thought you were headed in that direction anyway. Maybe it was the 4th or 5th time you said "It's just ridiculous that Samsung continue to ignore things like this", that confirmed it in my mind. wink.gif

But I'll never understand why people that have pretty much decided from the get go to go with a different panel, spend so much time on a thread for a display they know deep down inside they'll never buy, only to knock it time and time again.

It's been the history of AVS for as long as I've been here. Personally, I know once I've decided against a product, I rarely ever visit the thread again.
post #1467 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I find that hard to believe.

Why? I go to Bestbuy 2 miles away every tues evening to look at new BR releases and on Fridays to see what open box items they put out for the weekend. The whole store knows me by name.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #1468 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Watching hockey games with a bit of ABL doesn't bother me, but the dark scenes and letterbox pops really annoy me so I am hopeful that these haven't returned again.

I haven't seen a single instance of this at all. We have enough owners that I'm sure can comment on whether they've seen it or not.
post #1469 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

The judder I see is on every plasma I've seen whether watching from D* or BD. It's just inherent in the plasma technology. But it's good to know that D* may be exacerbating the issue.
post #1470 of 12514 Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's how I thought it worked. Samsung made a big deal of how it perfectly meshed with Directv.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page