Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

just try to keep things in perspective. the number of these reported issues compared to the number of these probably sold... probably only a handful with issues. dare i even say it?!? i am loving mine smile.gif thats all i'm gonna say!!

Blasphemy!!!! biggrin.gif you are not allowed to love your set only analyze every inch untill you find a problem and then endlessly obsess over it tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Blasphemy!!!! biggrin.gif you are not allowed to love your set only analyze ever inch untill you find a problem and then endlessly obsess over it tongue.gif

lmao!!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #1623 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

duplicate, delete

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #1624 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Search my posts, I have said a few time that this Samsung is an excellent, solid set. If you read this board enough you would think that ever unit of every type of product is defective. You have to read thru it. Then, then at that point you have discovered the AVS way......... biggrin.gif

-- I am also sorry to hear you are spending $3500 on the PN64F8500 too.

Yes I know. I was very disappointed to find out I could have gotten for cheaper after....but what can ya do?
post #1625 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Step back take a deep breath smile.gif, I totally understand about spending this amount of money, but with any set you are going to see a ton of reports of "issues".....I work hard for my money too wink.gif Ive jsut become "numb" to the problem reports and treat it like I do when I hear issues at work, I try to find the root of the problem to see if its wide spread or isolated...Id love not to have to worry if the new electronic I am about to buy is going to break or ahve any defects, unfortunately thats just not the world we live in today.....

so far I think we have only heard of 1-3 reports of this banding, since there are so few users with the set, it makes it sound like a lot on here....Well need more reports before it can be conisdered an issue to be worrieed about. As I said I didnt notice any banding on the sets I saw in Magnolia today, Ken hasnt seen it and it never came up in either of the calibrators reports......If the issue is pronounced as its been reported I would expect it too show easily during calibration and on the multiplee viewings some have done, but I have seen weirder things happen.....

To be clear I am NOT downplaying any of the issues, I am just taking a "wider view" approach and seeing how big\serious the problem is before making any decisions....

Thanks for the words encouragement lol. I will just wait for it to be delivered and sit back and enjoy. If I can't see anything that bothers me, I will be happy. biggrin.gif
post #1626 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Thanks for the words encouragement lol. I will just wait for it to be delivered and sit back and enjoy. If I can't see anything that bothers me, I will be happy. biggrin.gif

Good plan, watch TV as you normally do, if you dont see anything that bothers you dont worry be happy smile.gif
post #1627 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

D-Nice's experimentation in particular. He's procured a method to get *all* 9Gs below their known factory values (with the 9.5Gs at least dipping below that of those full-array LEDs).

When I compare displays, it's per the manufacturers settings. I wouldn't use electronic adjustments that alter manufacturer's values in arriving at the MLL of a given display. If you're going to be fair, it's the settings with the factory calibrations afforded by the manufacturer. Most people will never see this experimentation on their displays. Using that as the only fair and comparable gauge, the Elite still surpasses the Kuro for MLL.

Now I wonder why Pioneer didn't start off with these tweaked values? Could be a reason, but I don't know what it may be.
Quote:

Yes, I meant his full-scale first impression, soz.

Still not seeing what you apologized for, for one person's observations. wink.gif
Quote:

Yup, well, he still has his 151FD (unless I'm remembering incorrectly), so I guess that says something?

I guess it does say something since I sold it after living with both the Elite and the Kuro for a month. You missed my earlier post. With the Elite bettering my Kuro in black levels, brightness & sharpness, I saw little reason to keep the Kuro. biggrin.gif
post #1628 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Liked: 169
Quote:

lets not bring the "Tuck" into this, that game is one of the main reasons what I loathe the Patriots and living where I do, I am constantly bombarded with Patriot news, highlights and commercials.......If much rather get back to the Bo Jackson era biggrin.gif ....
Usenet is NOT dead wink.gif its just that the learning curve has increeased and most people these days are not willing to invest the time to learn how to use it.....as far ass typos, meh most of the time I dont care, sometimes I even surprise myself when I look over a post after I click send.....
the reason they did it, WAF wink.gif the new stand integrates very nicely with the TV and I would think the look would yield a high WAF score wink.gif If its only an inch then I wouldnt worry too much if there are not a lot of people around the set (especially kids)...

You could always rig up a wire from the back of the chassis VESA mount to the wall AKA IKEA safety net smile.gif
post #1629 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think it may be a faulty set in both Floridamans and your cases, I didnt notice any band when watching from close or at a distance.....The only thig I notice is taht when I got right up to the set I saw the filter darken the screen, otherwise the set looked even no matter if I was on teh sides of the TV or in front........It doesnt sound normal and I would think someone would have seen the band by now, especially when getting calibrated or via the tests in VE......

Yeah, we saw no bands either in the middle or near the top at Robert's. In fact D-Nice put up a full white field which I'd think would have shown this issue if that display had it.

But we've got a couple of guys reporting that now, so there is something in some cases.
post #1630 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does the band change with intensity when you adjust settings? Im wondering if you are seeeing the same "band" that floridaman and capten are seeing......have you tested it with OTA? how are you currently connected to the TV? If youa re going through an AVR have you tried direct connection? tried different cables?

I'm also wondering if those with this issue have done the software update?
post #1631 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

What is "OTA?" I have had the set play a DVD through HDMI 2 with my Oppo DVD player and it was there. It was there when I looked at the screen though all inputs, even those that were not connected to anything. Some have referred to a "screen scrub" feature. I have scoured the menu and I cannot find anything like this. Am I missing it? Where is this feature?

Did you have any menu or something in that area up that might have produced some IR? If there was some type of stationary display in that area for a while, it could be just some IR that will fade away.
post #1632 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I blame Ken wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Guilty as charged. wink.gif
post #1633 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Ken, while viewing that hockey game, I saw both. I discovered the brightness increments (seems like two stepped increments) by accident (before anyone commented about it on this forum) shortly after buying my tv. I really wasn't annoyed at all by this anomaly, and can easily live with it if Samsung never decides to fix it. I'm with you...the camera flashes are much more annoying/distracting to me. The dynamic range of brightness on the 8500 makes those camera flashes really pop!!

I hate to ask you this Dan, but any horizontal lines on your display?
post #1634 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

TYVM, I'm doing it now but it doesn't seem to be doing anything about the band I'm referring to. I've noticed that the band is most apparent on orange and blue sections and is completely absent when the screen is displaying black toward the top. I'm not sure if this is significant but I'm thinking this is going to be a deal breaker and that I'm going to be sending this bad boy back and demanding a new set. We'll see.

Make sure you look at a store model to be certain you don't see one on that one too.
post #1635 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I adjusted gamma up and down and it has no effect. The band is there at all angles (straingt ahead, off to the left, right and from above and below). Similarly the intensity of the cell light does nothing to affect this band.

Do you see it at normal viewing distance or only a few inches or feet from the display?
post #1636 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

just try to keep things in perspective. the number of these reported issues compared to the number of these probably sold... probably only a handful with issues. dare i even say it?!? i am loving mine smile.gif thats all i'm gonna say!!

Loving your unit? Say what? No room for that here!

Seriously, I hope everyone gets their issues resolved, I know it's not fun. frown.gif
post #1637 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Loving your unit? Say what? No room for that here!

Seriously, I hope everyone gets their issues resolved, I know it's not fun. frown.gif

lol!
yes i feel for those who have and more than thankful i am not seeing any issues. tho i do see some judder occasionally, will just have to deal! but no way am i giving up this otherwise gorgeous display!!!

post #1638 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM

^ This is one hell of a set for me.
Absolutely no regrets, aside from the bank balance difference smile.gif
post #1639 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I hate to ask you this Dan, but any horizontal lines on your display?
Nope. I have no banding/lines anywhere on my screen. I have noticed some IR artifacts (espn logo), but it was very short lived. I expect that from a plasma, so I'm not worried at all about it.

On a side note, I was viewing a movie last night on hdnet, and the picture was very grainy, with lots of "white snow" popping everywhere. I went into the picture options and turned on the "Digital Clean View" and "Mpeg Noise Filter", and those artifacts just vanished completely, creating a very viewable movie. I was never able to do anything like that with my former tv(42" Dell plasma).
post #1640 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Nope. I have no banding/lines anywhere on my screen. I have noticed some IR artifacts (espn logo), but it was very short lived. I expect that from a plasma, so I'm not worried at all about it.

On a side note, I was viewing a movie last night on hdnet, and the picture was very grainy, with lots of "white snow" popping everywhere. I went into the picture options and turned on the "Digital Clean View" and "Mpeg Noise Filter", and those artifacts just vanished completely, creating a very viewable movie. I was never able to do anything like that with my former tv(42" Dell plasma).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ This is one hell of a set for me.
Absolutely no regrets, aside from the bank balance difference smile.gif

All very good news. Thanks for reporting everyone.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #1641 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Liked: 10
I could probably live with the faint black band, it is rare (thus far) that I've seen it. I'm also quite used to normal plasma banding so maybe that is partly why I'm not noticing it all the time.

The random reboots when using the remote is my main issue. And the fact that the "zoom" controls are grayed out no matter what mode I'm in bugs me a bit.
post #1642 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captenblack View Post

I could probably live with the faint black band, it is rare (thus far) that I've seen it. I'm also quite used to normal plasma banding so maybe that is partly why I'm not noticing it all the time.

The random reboots when using the remote is my main issue. And the fact that the "zoom" controls are grayed out no matter what mode I'm in bugs me a bit.

Have you contacted Samsung to have them do a remote session? I cant remember if you had tried this or not.....The random reboots are def not a good thing however and probably will need a replacement\repair on your set.
post #1643 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 PM

^ I've had the menu stick a couple of times, and I've been forced to do a hard power cycle frown.gif

Other than that no reboots.
post #1644 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Those ex-Pioneer guys certainly get around! biggrin.gif

Well, you know, once you go black...wink.gif
post #1645 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM

Liked: 26
Just got back from the Magnolia Center. I spent about 90 minutes with the 64F8500. It was definitely worth the trip except for the fact I walked out with a new Pioneer BDP-62 blu ray player. It was 50% off the retail price and one of my blu ray players just crapped out. Hard to go into that store and not buy something. Anyway I was able to address each and every concern I had. The HDMI black level was greyed out on the display and had a setting of low. There feed was through a coax cable. I tested the motion judder and could see no differences with the picture regardless of the setting I tested. I set the picture mode to match my settings at home so I was comparing apples to apples. I noticed the brightness pops only once in a bright background and it was a 2 step process. They didn't have a blu ray hooked up but did so after I asked. The first thing I did was to play the break in DVD and look for the banding issues. The set had a very faint case of a horizontal band just above the center of screen. Definitely not as noticeable as my set. I played eight below in the blu ray player since it is almost all snow scenes. I didn't see any brightness pops and did see the slight banding in one instance of a vertical pan. I also looked at the mounting of the stand since several people had concerns about this. The TV was flush with the stand but protruded ever so slightly over the front edge of the stand. To the member that posted a photo with the gap-this is definitely not right. I also got some definitive dates on VT60 and ZT60 availability. They actually showed me the dates in the computer system. I would say I felt better after leaving there because some of my concerns aren't concerns after all. At this point I am hoping the band will fade although it really hasn't changed in my opinion. The brightness pops are still baffling to me and I don't know if certain sets are more susceptible than others. At this point I am going see what happens over the next couple of weeks. I am a premier silver member so I have 60 days to exchange or return the set. Thanks for all of the feedback .
post #1646 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ I've had the menu stick a couple of times, and I've been forced to do a hard power cycle frown.gif

Other than that no reboots.

The reboot seems like an overload in the software forcing it to reset. For example, I will go to adjust the TV volume, and there is supposed to be this half circle and volume number that comes out of the left of the screen. When the reboot happens, sometimes only the number comes out, and half circle image doesn't make it (essentially freezes) and the set reboots. All else on the screen is fine, just the TV functions are dead at this point. This does not happen all the time, just once in a while. I realize I won't be using TV volume all that much, but it does happen when trying to access the normal TV menu and source as well (nothing appears on screen for that, it just reboots after 10 seconds).

I may try contacting Samsung customer service tomorrow.
post #1647 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Oh boy.... Does it ever end? I really need to stay off this website. I wish I saw more "greatest set ever" comments. But I see more judder this, banding that, brightness pops over here. It makes me more and more nervous about my purchase. Oh well...

Don't sweat it, it is the best I've ever seen and I have absolutely no regrets, this stuff of pops and judder just started ''popping'' up 2 days before I went to pick up my F8500 but lucky Ken and Robert (VE) checked our the issues and were able to alleviate the 2 pops they were able to recreate easily.. I've had my F8500 for a couple days and love it!!
It's just the nature of forums, I've seen it with smartphones, audio equip and cars... It always boils down to some are due to bad settings, a few defects and others just fanboys of another manufacturer's product... This TV has been getting bashed by members here before it was even released, just check the original pre-release thread and you see '''Samsung F8500 - new industry standard?''
Ken Ross likes this.
post #1648 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I adjusted gamma up and down and it has no effect. The band is there at all angles (straingt ahead, off to the left, right and from above and below). Similarly the intensity of the cell light does nothing to affect this band.

Last year I had a barley noticeable vertical band mid screen no less and almost all of it has washed away from
viewing over many months. With hockey or a light background when the camera pans can I see it.
That banding did look a lot like IR so over time it will wash out just like IR.
post #1649 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM

If this set was really 'that bad' you'd see way more peed off peeps throwing cusses here.
I'd buy one before they sell out.... eek.gif
post #1650 of 12670 Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

When I compare displays, it's per the manufacturers settings. I wouldn't use electronic adjustments that alter manufacturer's values in arriving at the MLL of a given display. If you're going to be fair, it's the settings with the factory calibrations afforded by the manufacturer. Most people will never see this experimentation on their displays. Using that as the only fair and comparable gauge, the Elite still surpasses the Kuro for MLL.

Now I wonder why Pioneer didn't start off with these tweaked values? Could be a reason, but I don't know what it may be.
Still not seeing what you apologized for, for one person's observations. wink.gif
I guess it does say something since I sold it after living with both the Elite and the Kuro for a month. You missed my earlier post. With the Elite bettering my Kuro in black levels, brightness & sharpness, I saw little reason to keep the Kuro. biggrin.gif
Could well be some valid rationale to not fiddle with the voltage in such ways (but I continue to be amazed by what the sets are capable of). I tend to skim (haste makes waste), so I missed the selling part (and this was after a month of your own A/B comparisons, too). You saw what you saw, I can't fault that. The second apology was for mistakenly calling the aforementioned impression a full-scale review. biggrin.gif The first apology you already sussed out (and wasn't necessary, I was just treading lightly to keep the peace wink.gif).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page