Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #1891 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

Even a better option would be to eliminate that setting completely.

People need to stop advising owners on setting it to Cell 20 and always leaving it there, based on their own experience with last year's model. This is a much different animal, which has been redesigned to work in daytime bright settings as well as in darker rooms. Forget about what the settings were for last year's model. They are not applicable to this vastly redesigned model.
Ken Ross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 172
another question... whats the general opinion on color space... auto or native? thanks!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #1893 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

another question... whats the general opinion on color space... auto or native? thanks!

In the past, Auto has always been better.

Larry
post #1894 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
just some food for thought....biggrin.gif

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hands-on-with-the-65-panasonic-zt60-3d-plasma-the-end-of-an-era/

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #1895 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Let me know when an uncontrolled review happens wink.gif they ahd the "same settings" but yet they dont say what they were....to the eye the sets looked the same, but to them the blacks were "crushed" on the Kuro, which does not sound like what owners have reported......Maybe its jsut me, but these "reviews" are little mroe than fluff pieces until we get the sets into calibrator and users hands....
post #1896 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

That's all I need to hear to walk away now from this set and stick with LCD for better or worse. I was going nuts with the brightness pops from my old D7000 and I will not do it all over again. Owners and pro reviewers love to talk about how great these plasmas are but hate to admit that they still suffer form these kinds of issues. Yes, the image is spectacular. So is the LCD F8000 - I've seen it up close. But both technologies have their serious issues. The brightness pops on these sets is something I just can't live with.
I would try out a Panasonic then, I do not here much chatter about brightness pops....
post #1897 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For those interested in 3D and motion smoothing/ de-judder ...

A friend of mine just purchased the 64" F8500 last weekend and I was fortunate enough to spend yesterday afternoon at his place evaluating the set. I think people have commented on the set's obvious strengths, features, and weaknesses (black levels, brightness, etc.) ad naseum. However, I haven't seen too many comments on the F8500's 3D or smoothing/ de-judder, so I thought I'd post about my experience in regards to those features.

Because he had very recently had a Samsung E7500 LCD, which we had tested 3D and smoothing/ de-judder on extensively, we were able to make relatively direct (but not side-by-side) comparisons as the strengths and weaknesses of those features on said LCD were fresh in our minds.

3D
We tested Prometheus, Hugo, and Tintin (all shot natively in 3D) and also looked at its 2D --> 3D conversion with Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Star Wars Episode VI Revenge of the Sith. Much to both of our surprise the F8500's 3D performance was superior to the E7500 LCD, which we both thought had very good 3D performance in its own right.

Many scenes in Prometheus, especially those with depth of field and/ or dark backgrounds, exhibited massive crosstalk on the E7500. This crosstalk was typically limited to the background of the shot, but it was so heavy that it looked like you were looking at the background through glasses with the wrong prescription. These same scenes exhibited zero crosstalk with the F8500. Zero. Overall, Prometheus looked stunning in 3D on the F8500 with no perceived drops in black level (purely anecdotal, we didn't use any meters or actually measure anything). The quality of the 3D experience reminded me of watching a film in 3D in Real3D in the theater. We were both extremely impressed.

Hugo, while not 100% free of crosstalk, looked markedly better on the F8500 than it did on the E7500. The infamous 'hand' scene where Hugo reaches out for the toy mouse exhibited no crosstalk. None. However, there were a few shots which did exhibit crosstalk, albeit very minor, like Jude Law's thumb as he reaches for the face of the atumoton. The crosstalk in these small handfulls of scenes was drastically less than the E7500, and in many cases was completely gone. My friend also commented on the movie's opening scene where the camera fly's through the train station. He said that on the E7500 the quality of the 3D would 'fluctuate', for lack of a better word, as the camera shot past each person's shoulders. The F8500 did not exhibit this at all.

Tintin was also spectacular in 3D on the F8500.

2D--> 3D conversion was surprisingly good. No, converted films neither look as deep nor do they have the 3D pop of native 3D films. However, the conversion did add depth to the picture, and every so often there would be a scene that really did pop off the screen. Star Wars Revenge of the Sith's action packed intro where Annakin and Obi-won fly their small star fighters through a massive space battle was breathtaking in converted 3D. The added depth really gave me a sense of spacial awareness when looking at the myriad capitol ships, fighters, droids, etc. flying about the screen. It wasn't as incredible as Prometheus in native 3D, but it looked damn good. And turning off the conversion and going back to regular 2D after watching it in converted 3D, the 2D picture looked absolutely flat.

I know there are a lot of people who are not interested in 3D, and that's fine with me, to each his/ her own. However, I think the F8500 did a remarkable job of 2D --> 3D conversion and would seriously make me think about re-watching my Blu-ray collection again in converted 3D.

Smoothing/ De-judder
One of the things both of us liked on the E7500 was its motion smoothing, especially the granularity of control over the Smoothness and De-judder settings, each of which had eleven levels (1-10 and OFF). The F8500, on the other hand, had only three De-Judder settings (Standard, Smooth, and OFF), and no Smoothness setting at all.

We quickly found that setting De-judder to Standard was ideal and created the look of HFR (High Frame Rate) as seen in The Hobbit, only dialed back maybe 10-15%. We looked at several panning scenes in Blade Runner, Lord of the Rings Return of the King, and Prometheus. The Standard setting produced incredible results every time. We both felt that the Smooth setting was usually too strong and made the picture look as if it were in fast motion.

With Standard on, however, camera pans that produced noticeable judder were smooth, detailed, and blur-free every time. One scene in particular in LOTR ROTK really stood out. The scene at Sauraman's tower had a dramatic, aerial camera pan that flew around the top of the tower. With De-judder OFF the pan was filled with judder that you could see go 'chunk, chunk, chunk', and elements in the background, including the edges of mountains and characters on the ground, were blurry as the camera moved about. With De-judder in Standard mode the pan was completely smooth with zero judder as the aforementioned background elements looked smooth and clear as well.

Finally, we looked at the F8500's Cinema Smooth feature and compared it to De-judder. Thinking that it was a separate control for Smoothness, like on the E7500, we were initially perplexed as to why it could not be engaged alongside De-judder (when one setting is on the other is grayed out). It turns out that this is a setting that, rather than apply frame interpolation or any sort of smoothing, actually keeps the film's native 24p cadence while upscaling it to a higher frame rate. The same scenes that looked butter smooth with De-judder set to Standard looked jerky and exhibited typical 24p-style judder and blurriness during camera pans.

We both preferred to leave De-judder on in Standard mode with Cinema Smooth off. It is worth noting that Standard De-judder introduced no artifacts or issues of any kind in our tests once the system was properly setup with the Blu-ray player's 24p setting set to On and not Auto. The only exception was when we were in the middle of a film and were switching between settings on the fly. There would sometimes be a small hitch or hiccup during playback. However, it was never in the same place twice and we suspect it had to do with the processors buffer as there were never any glitches or hiccups when we would let the film simply play without tweaking De-judder settings.
post #1898 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

[snip]

I know there are a lot of people who are not interested in 3D, and that's fine with me, to each his/ her own. However, I think the F8500 did a remarkable job of 2D --> 3D conversion and would seriously make me think about re-watching my Blu-ray collection again in converted 3D.

[snip]

Thank you for your condescending approval. tongue.gif

Larry
post #1899 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Liked: 12
How do you see 30ftl. Where do you check that in the settings.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #1900 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:

I thought it might be interesting to give my observations of the ZT60 that I saw tonight at the Engadget show (thanks Robert & Wendy for the invite, MUCH appreciated!). I apologize if some feel this is inappropriate in this thread, but I know there must be others besides me that are looking at both the 8500 & ZT60 for their next display. So here's what I saw and I disagree on a few points with digitaltrends:

From what they showed, unlike digitaltrends, there's no way I could say definitively 'best TV ever'. Not in that setting. It may be true, but then again it may not be.The only comparison was to a Pioneer Kuro that sat alongside the ZT. Would have been nice to have an F8500, the real competition today to the ZT60.

Black Levels-Although the speaker said the black levels matched the Kuro, it was very clear to me the black levels were still a bit better on the Kuro. No question. Robert agreed. But the Kuro's blacks had the common Kuro 'red tinged blacks' whereas the ZT was neutral. My Kuro also had a bit of a red tinge with its blacks. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't a big difference, but I thought it was pretty funny that he said the blacks measured the same and yet it was clear the Kuro blacks were better and showed, I thought, quite clearly on fades to black as well as a couple of other scenes. I spoke to a couple of other people and everyone agreed. I even thought my Elite had better black levels than anything I saw here. Again, the ZT60's black levels were excellent, they just didn't appear quite as dark as the Kuro's.

Shadow Detail-Where the ZT60 was clearly better was in shadow detail. The ZT extracted detail in shadows that were essentially invisible on the Kuro. Very nice.

Color-So here's another point and it's all too common in these manufacturer A/Bs (and why Robert's shootouts are SOOO much better!). I thought my Pro 151 looked better than the Kuro they had in this comparison. The colors on the ZT60 looked very saturated by comparison to the Kuro. But why did it seem the Kuro's colors were somewhat DEsaturated. Never saw that on mine. Hmm. Saturation and colors on the pale side were never a characteristic of my ISF'd Pro 151. I don't think this aspect of the A/B was accurate, at least not IMO. I think the press, depending on what they want to see, can be fooled more easily than some of us.

What was impressive were the reds compared to the Kuro and the prior gen Panasonics. They were probably the best reds I've seen. But even there, without seeing other displays next to it like the 8500, there's no way I could say definitively 'best reds ever in video'. They were 'redder' than the Kuro, but again, I'll bet the bank the Kuro was not properly adjusted. But my gut reaction were these were really excellent reds. Best ever? Maybe, but I wouldn't swear to it. The ZT60 can utilize the DCI color space. This broadens the color palette, but doesn't conform to Rec709. But it does look good. Colors are deeper and richer. They're just not accurate per Rec709. But if you had DCI type content, it could be utilized.

Motion Handling-The motion handling was excellent and obviously better than the Kuro. Their demo for this consisted of 'stitched' still pictures, rapidly panning across the screen. But, I could see they were playing 60p material, not 24p, at 38mps (a very high bitrate you don't see on broadcast). The material at 60p was not particularly demanding for motion and I asked if they had any 24p content like a Blu Ray, so we could see a more demanding test of motion handling. He said he had only the material on the hard drive. So the test tells us nothing about how it will handle 24p motion. I can see it handles 60p better than a 4 year old Kuro, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything relative to 24p, let alone more modern displays.

Brightness- I asked how it compared in brightness to the previous generation of Panasonics since that's been a key advertising point. He didn't know the answer. I thought that was a bit odd. Demoing the premiere display in your line, that advertises greater brightness than any previous Panny model, yet we have no idea how much brighter? There was certainly nothing in the A/B that indicated anything about its brightness capabilities. The lights were turned on after the dark room demo to show that it can handle bright room light. The only problem was, there were only a couple of lights that resulted in an ambient lighting that was considerably dimmer than a typical Magnoloa.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I approach A/Bs of this type, a bit skeptical. I certainly thought this was a beautiful display that was a real head turner. But is it better than an F8500? If so, how much better and in what areas? Is it even as good as an F8500? I can honestly say that none of these questions were answered for me. Maybe for digitaltrends, but not for me. I'll wait for Robert's shootout for a more accurate A/B. Or in the case of the shootout, an A/B/C/D/E/F/G........... smile.gif

At any rate it's still certainly in contention for me along with the 8500. Nothing changed as the result of tonight...for me. wink.gif
post #1901 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

How do you see 30ftl. Where do you check that in the settings.

Are you asking me? If so, look at the value for Y at 100% in the grayscale chart. You'll see the number 177. That's in cd/m^2 (candelas per square meter) units. To convert to ftL (foot Lamberts) divide by 3.43. That's for Kevin's calibration. I calibrate my own TVs using meters and I prefer a dimmer screen of 30 ftL max.

Larry
post #1902 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Are you asking me? If so, look at the value for Y at 100% in the grayscale chart. You'll see the number 177. That's in cd/m^2 (candelas per square meter) units. To convert to ftL (foot Lamberts) divide by 3.43. That's for Kevin's calibration. I calibrate my own TVs using meters and I prefer a dimmer screen of 30 ftL max.

Larry

Larry I think he may ahve been asking how to get te TV to output 30ftL wink.gif in which case youd need some calibration equipment to measure no?
post #1903 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Larry I think he may ahve been asking how to get te TV to output 30ftL wink.gif in which case youd need some calibration equipment to measure no?

There is no other way.smile.gif

Larry
post #1904 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken once again thank you for your detailed report, youre actually the 12st one Ive seen taht has been to the Engadget event and reported back. As was my suspicion of the "review" in a controlled setting no one can be sure what was set and what was not.....Looking forward to hopefully someone getting tht ZT ahead of the event and getting some reading off of the ZT or heck even the US VT.....I take everything I see with a grain of salt becasue so much of this is subjective.....Your report on the reds however closely matches what ws said in the EU report of the VT (that reds were over saturated for the REC709 (at least thats what I thought I read) before it was dialed down and brought within spec........

Very good year to be looking for a new Plasma TV me thinks lots of good competition out there....
post #1905 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

Quote:

In the past, Auto has always been better.

Larry

Try these out.
I started with Kevin Miller movie & night setting and tweaked a little.
*I put cell up to 20 from 16 & brightness 47 down to 30, try to keep overall brightness about the same & in attempts to help pops. It's better, I just watched hockey for 3 hrs and there way less pops.

mode-movie
cell-20
contrast-95
brightness-30
sharpness-0
color-50

blacktone-off
color space-native
white balance-22,25,24,25,24,25 (moive), 21,25,24,23,25,26 (night)
10p-off (I really dont know how the 2pt & 10p white balance work, I just copied Millers on tweaktv movie calibration)
gamma- negative 2 (-1 good too, I like deep colors & watch in home theater setting, no bright light)
color tone-warm1
digital-off
mpeg-off
hdmi black level-low
film mode-auto2
motion-off
black optimizer-dark room

If anyone has any settings that are good for me try, please text it. I am still tweaking and continuing to make the hdtv better. and eliminate pops as much as possible.
Thanks for reply-ing.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #1906 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I thought it might be interesting to give my observations of the ZT60 that I saw tonight at the Engadget show (thanks Robert & Wendy for the invite, MUCH appreciated!). I apologize if some feel this is inappropriate in this thread, but I know there must be others besides me that are looking at both the 8500 & ZT60 for their next display. So here's what I saw and I disagree on a few points with digitaltrends:

From what they showed, unlike digitaltrends, there's no way I could say definitively 'best TV ever'. Not in that setting. It may be true, but then again it may not be.The only comparison was to a Pioneer Kuro that sat alongside the ZT. Would have been nice to have an F8500, the real competition today to the ZT60.

Black Levels-Although the speaker said the black levels matched the Kuro, it was very clear to me the black levels were still a bit better on the Kuro. No question. Robert agreed. But the Kuro's blacks had the common Kuro 'red tinged blacks' whereas the ZT was neutral. My Kuro also had a bit of a red tinge with its blacks. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't a big difference, but I thought it was pretty funny that he said the blacks measured the same and yet it was clear the Kuro blacks were better and showed, I thought, quite clearly on fades to black as well as a couple of other scenes. I spoke to a couple of other people and everyone agreed. I even thought my Elite had better black levels than anything I saw here. Again, the ZT60's black levels were excellent, they just didn't appear quite as dark as the Kuro's.

Shadow Detail-Where the ZT60 was clearly better was in shadow detail. The ZT extracted detail in shadows that were essentially invisible on the Kuro. Very nice.

Color-So here's another point and it's all too common in these manufacturer A/Bs (and why Robert's shootouts are SOOO much better!). I thought my Pro 151 looked better than the Kuro they had in this comparison. The colors on the ZT60 looked very saturated by comparison to the Kuro. But why did it seem the Kuro's colors were somewhat DEsaturated. Never saw that on mine. Hmm. Saturation and colors on the pale side were never a characteristic of my ISF'd Pro 151. I don't think this aspect of the A/B was accurate, at least not IMO. I think the press, depending on what they want to see, can be fooled more easily than some of us.

What was impressive were the reds compared to the Kuro and the prior gen Panasonics. They were probably the best reds I've seen. But even there, without seeing other displays next to it like the 8500, there's no way I could say definitively 'best reds ever in video'. They were 'redder' than the Kuro, but again, I'll bet the bank the Kuro was not properly adjusted. But my gut reaction were these were really excellent reds. Best ever? Maybe, but I wouldn't swear to it. The ZT60 can utilize the DCI color space. This broadens the color palette, but doesn't conform to Rec709. But it does look good. Colors are deeper and richer. They're just not accurate per Rec709. But if you had DCI type content, it could be utilized.

Motion Handling-The motion handling was excellent and obviously better than the Kuro. Their demo for this consisted of 'stitched' still pictures, rapidly panning across the screen. But, I could see they were playing 60p material, not 24p, at 38mps (a very high bitrate you don't see on broadcast). The material at 60p was not particularly demanding for motion and I asked if they had any 24p content like a Blu Ray, so we could see a more demanding test of motion handling. He said he had only the material on the hard drive. So the test tells us nothing about how it will handle 24p motion. I can see it handles 60p better than a 4 year old Kuro, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything relative to 24p, let alone more modern displays.

Brightness- I asked how it compared in brightness to the previous generation of Panasonics since that's been a key advertising point. He didn't know the answer. I thought that was a bit odd. Demoing the premiere display in your line, that advertises greater brightness than any previous Panny model, yet we have no idea how much brighter? There was certainly nothing in the A/B that indicated anything about its brightness capabilities. The lights were turned on after the dark room demo to show that it can handle bright room light. The only problem was, there were only a couple of lights that resulted in an ambient lighting that was considerably dimmer than a typical Magnoloa.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I approach A/Bs of this type, a bit skeptical. I certainly thought this was a beautiful display that was a real head turner. But is it better than an F8500? If so, how much better and in what areas? Is it even as good as an F8500? I can honestly say that none of these questions were answered for me. Maybe for digitaltrends, but not for me. I'll wait for Robert's shootout for a more accurate A/B. Or in the case of the shootout, an A/B/C/D/E/F/G........... smile.gif

At any rate it's still certainly in contention for me along with the 8500. Nothing changed as the result of tonight...for me. wink.gif

Nice review, Ken. Have to agree with you on the reds of the 9G, although they did look better than the ZT reds when both tvs were at rec.709.

The steps of gradation were really amazing to see compared to the Kuro.

Regarding black level, I honestly could not tell which was darker, although, my hunch was Pioneer, but the blacks were getting red, so it became more difficult to compare. There was a greater sense of contrast with content on the ZT at times.

I thought that might be you, as I saw someone hanging out with Robert and Wendy, but I haven't seen them in years- I met Robert back in 2008 and didn't get around to reintroducing myself. Anyway, it was a nice event, but I was surprised to learn from the Japanese engineer that the ZT is using the same panel as the rest of the 2013 range and is just being driven differently along with the elimination of the air gap. If the ST and VT are at the .0015fL range in mll, it seems like the panels will be much the same across the range.

I'm also starting to think, despite what some will say, that this is the last line of Panasonic plasmas and I should pick one up while I can.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #1907 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your condescending approval. tongue.gif

Larry

I actually like 3D (and de-judder). Really. smile.gif
post #1908 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

I actually like 3D (and de-judder). Really. smile.gif

No need ot make a qualifier though there are plenty of people who like 3D on the forums, especially when its done right wink.gif

BTW thank you for the nice review, I know there were a few people looking to hear about the motion handeling and 3D of this set, your review, is the first "in depth" one I ahve seen from an end user in regards to this......
post #1909 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether the 8500 will pass DD 5.1 through the optical out from HDMI sources? I know it will pass the audio signal, I'm just not sure if it will support true 5.1 or just 2 ch audio. Thanks!
post #1910 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesx86 View Post

Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether the 8500 will pass DD 5.1 through the optical out from HDMI sources? I know it will pass the audio signal, I'm just not sure if it will support true 5.1 or just 2 ch audio. Thanks!

Not sure of many TV that will do that...per the manual:

A home theater system that has been connected to the TV using an HDMI cable and an optical
cable supports 2-channel audio only. However, the home theater is capable of supporting
5.1-channel audio from digital broadcasts.
●● To listen to 5.1-channel audio from an external device, connect the device to the TV via an HDMI
cable and the device's digital audio output connector directly to the home theater system.
post #1911 of 12337 Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesx86 View Post

Hi,

Not sure if this is exactly the same scenario as what you;re asking about, but my friend was streaming Amazon Instant Video from the app in his F8500 and was able to send lossy 5.1 DTS out to his receiver via optical.
post #1912 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
you know what puzzles me is why every year they claim better and better black levels why couldn't they have done this from the begining because thats what consumers want. both panasonic and samsung comes out every year with new talk that this years set has better color and black levels then last years TV's each year. my C7000 has good color and blacks and my E8000 ALSO has great color and blacks.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 using Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 616 7.2
post #1913 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
How is the black different from the F8500 than last year's E8000? Anybody owned or seen both?
I mean for the normal eyes.
The E8000 is right now in a more attractive price for me

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #1914 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

How is the black different from the F8500 than last year's E8000? Anybody owned or seen both?
I mean for the normal eyes.
The E8000 is right now in a more attractive price for me

i love my PN60E8000 colors and blacks are great i was thinking to get a PN51F8500 for the den but i think i'll wait one more year and get a 2014 TV. Because if blacks and color get better and better each year then next years TV's OMG

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 using Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY DEN
post #1915 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

i love my PN60E8000 colors and blacks are great i was thinking to get a PN51F8500 for the den but i think i'll wait one more year and get a 2014 TV. Because if blacks and color get better and better each year then next years TV's OMG

Thank you for the feedback. How is the E8000's blacks in a dark room. Does the black merge with the TV's bezel?
And how is its brightness in moderately bright room?

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #1916 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 AM

Liked: 21
Well, I received my 64 inch yesterday. I will echo what the previous owners have said and say the picture really is just amazing. However, a few concerns. The ABL I have been reading so much about is like a punch in the face. I watched a little bit of hockey last night and it was instantaneous. Brightness up up brightness down down. 2-3 times an min. Economy is turn off and cell light was at 20. Tried a few different settings didn't really work. This was only during hockey. Didn't notice it any other time. I also noticed on sports "tickers" at the bottom as the text was scrolling it would be blurry sometimes(??) that's confusing to me. I am not too sure how I feel about these two things. Unfortunately though this set is going back because it came with a nasty scratch. The company was more than nice about it and said they would send another and pick up mine when delivered. Oh yea, I did update the TV too.

These are just my initial thoughts and concerns
post #1917 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for the feedback. How is the E8000's blacks in a dark room. Does the black merge with the TV's bezel?
And how is its brightness in moderately bright room?
the blacks are great at night and daytime viewing is good i also have a PN50C7000 in the den daytime viewing on the E8000 is much better but if i were you i would go to the thread that talks about the PNxxE70000 and PNxxE8000 and read through that

My main setup
MY DEN
post #1918 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

the blacks are great at night and daytime viewing is good i also have a PN50C7000 in the den daytime viewing on the E8000 is much better but if i were you i would go to the thread that talks about the PNxxE70000 and PNxxE8000 and read through that

Thank you very much
I have read that thread FULLY.
The full 130+ pages.

Most concerns were about buzzing and very very few mentioned about image retention which is very good, but came here to see the comparison between that one and the F8500. The F8500 will not be available in my area until June/July but I can get the 64e8000 for a good price that is why I have asked.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #1919 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Well, I received my 64 inch yesterday. I will echo what the previous owners have said and say the picture really is just amazing. However, a few concerns. The ABL I have been reading so much about is like a punch in the face. I watched a little bit of hockey last night and it was instantaneous. Brightness up up brightness down down. 2-3 times an min. Economy is turn off and cell light was at 20. Tried a few different settings didn't really work. This was only during hockey. Didn't notice it any other time. I also noticed on sports "tickers" at the bottom as the text was scrolling it would be blurry sometimes(??) that's confusing to me. I am not too sure how I feel about these two things. Unfortunately though this set is going back because it came with a nasty scratch. The company was more than nice about it and said they would send another and pick up mine when delivered. Oh yea, I did update the TV too.

These are just my initial thoughts and concerns
Set the film mode to auto 2 and this will eliminate the blurred text.
post #1920 of 12337 Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you very much
I have read that thread FULLY.
The full 130+ pages.

Most concerns were about buzzing and very very few mentioned about image retention which is very good, but came here to see the comparison between that one and the F8500. The F8500 will not be available in my area until June/July but I can get the 64e8000 for a good price that is why I have asked.

My PN60E8000 has no buzzing and I have no IR

My main setup
MY DEN
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page