Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

I have also turned the black optimizer off and observed the same issue.

OK this would be awful since it's the exact reason I'm exchanging my D7000. You're the only person to see this so far with the black optimizer off that I've seen so I will just hope that this is a source issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM

Liked: 10
Here is link to AV Forums review of the Euro version of the F8500.
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Samsung-F8500-(PS64F8500)-64-Inch-1080p-3D-Plasma-TV_511/Review.html
post #2343 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There's a lot of posts to take in on this thread but I've got a 55" F8000, had it 2 days and it's got banding so I might go for the 64 F8500.

I like a bright screen (not a dynamic fan by any means) I like a blueish tint to the whites, ie standard mode, standard CT. I would be really disappointed to see a dull lifeless screen, is this F8500 going to be to my liking?

Any other major issues, buzzing, banding, IR?

Thanks

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #2344 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 582
^^^ I know the odds are much better that you will like the plasma display..........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #2345 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by fIErcEfAntOm07 View Post

Here is link to AV Forums review of the Euro version of the F8500.
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Samsung-F8500-(PS64F8500)-64-Inch-1080p-3D-Plasma-TV_511/Review.html

This was posted a few days ago wink.gif, it got lost a few pages back however.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

There's a lot of posts to take in on this thread but I've got a 55" F8000, had it 2 days and it's got banding so I might go for the 64 F8500.

I like a bright screen (not a dynamic fan by any means) I like a blueish tint to the whites, ie standard mode, standard CT. I would be really disappointed to see a dull lifeless screen, is this F8500 going to be to my liking?

Any other major issues, buzzing, banding, IR?

Thanks

This TV will NOT be LCD bright, but will probably come the closest of all of the Plasmas out so far......Consider it a "go between" (benefits of both plasma (blacks, screen uniformity etc) and LCD(brightness).....As far as the picture you like almsot any TV can be adjusted to produce the type of picture you lke, seems like the Standard r "cool" settings would be more to your liking as the Cool tends to skew everything to the blue side of things....

Buzzing, There will almsot always be somee type of directional buzz with plasma, owners so far have reported a greatly reduced amount of buzzing in this set, but take it with a grain of salt as each set can be different and everyone has thier own sensitivity to it....

IR again posted about recently, IR has been greatly reduced, but is just the nature of the set, the IR people are getting seems to be very minimal and easily removed with a few swipes of the screen tool on the set.....

Banding, the only banding reporrt came form a member who sounded like they had a defective set

The biggest issue so far has been Brightness Fluctuations which woulld occur due to the way the ABL is set up....There have been a number of posts and it seems lowering the contrast and or getting your set calibrated can elieveate this to almost NIL, there will ALWAYS be and ABL effect, however its a matter of how agressive\intense it is.....

The screen I saw in Magnolia (I wasnt able to see what mode they had it in) was natural rather than over saturated....I actually preferred the look as it looked more real to me. If you are into over saturated colors I am sure there is a setting or two that you could change, but most that get Plasma are not looking for over saturated colors wink.gif

That being said you "should" not have the banding issue that you saw with your LCD screen smile.gif
post #2346 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

This was posted a few days ago wink.gif, it got lost a few pages back however.....
This TV will NOT be LCD bright, but will probably come the closest of all of the Plasmas out so far......Consider it a "go between" (benefits of both plasma (blacks, screen uniformity etc) and LCD(brightness).....As far as the picture you like almsot any TV can be adjusted to produce the type of picture you lke, seems like the Standard r "cool" settings would be more to your liking as the Cool tends to skew everything to the blue side of things....

Buzzing, There will almsot always be somee type of directional buzz with plasma, owners so far have reported a greatly reduced amount of buzzing in this set, but take it with a grain of salt as each set can be different and everyone has thier own sensitivity to it....

IR again posted about recently, IR has been greatly reduced, but is just the nature of the set, the IR people are getting seems to be very minimal and easily removed with a few swipes of the screen tool on the set.....

Banding, the only banding reporrt came form a member who sounded like they had a defective set

The biggest issue so far has been Brightness Fluctuations which woulld occur due to the way the ABL is set up....There have been a number of posts and it seems lowering the contrast and or getting your set calibrated can elieveate this to almost NIL, there will ALWAYS be and ABL effect, however its a matter of how agressive\intense it is.....

The screen I saw in Magnolia (I wasnt able to see what mode they had it in) was natural rather than over saturated....I actually preferred the look as it looked more real to me. If you are into over saturated colors I am sure there is a setting or two that you could change, but most that get Plasma are not looking for over saturated colors wink.gif

That being said you "should" not have the banding issue that you saw with your LCD screen smile.gif

Thanks very much, I'm really tempted by this, I'm trying a replacement F8000 first but could well jump ship if it's no good

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #2347 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 AM

Nice, of course it was. I don't know what i was thinking. wink.gif
post #2348 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

This TV will NOT be LCD bright, but will probably come the closest of all of the Plasmas out so far......

I will say it comes as close as I'd want it to though. It gets as bright as you'd probably set your LCD comfortably to (i.e. not face-searing, but bright and punchy)

My concern was - would it get bright enough for daytime viewing of (active) 3D content. I'm happy to say that it does.

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
post #2349 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 AM

The UK review mentions that input lag is a problem with gaming - can anyone here comment on that? I'm also not sure what they mean by "serious gaming" since I'm not someone who really cares enough to try to be in the top 100 on Call of Duty or whatever. However, if it's going to cause me major problems just playing games casually then I might have a problem.
post #2350 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

The UK review mentions that input lag is a problem with gaming - can anyone here comment on that? I'm also not sure what they mean by "serious gaming" since I'm not someone who really cares enough to try to be in the top 100 on Call of Duty or whatever. However, if it's going to cause me major problems just playing games casually then I might have a problem.

I'm want to try to get around to testing this later today or this weekend at the latest. I'm like you on this one - I don't want it to feel sluggish while playing games, but I'm not trying to be a world champion either. But it's a real concern and one I wasn't expecting to have to worry about with plasma. Either way I plan on getting an Oculus Rift when it's available next year. cool.gifsmile.gif

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
post #2351 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

What size is your F8500??
I'm betting 64"... again like the hockey I have none of that on my 51", I'm a big golf fan/player and watched all the coverage of The Masters today(except when I watched 20 minutes of the NCAA College hockey) and never saw one fluctuation or pop in either, sand traps stayed white and sand shots looked incredibly sharp.. I have approx.120 hours on my 51F8500 and have viewed both events with my personal Standard settings, Cal Day & Cal Night (Kevin's settings) and SJA05's Movie settings and no pops or fluctuations using any of them, my personal settings are a bit brighter then most I've seen but I am coming from a LCD so my eye is a bit tainted still smile.gif

Yes, it is 64". I think "The Masters" is the perfect event to see exactly what this issue is and if it can be fixed. WATCH THE BALL AS THE CAMERA FOLLOWS IT ABOVE THE TREES AND INTO THE SKY. That shows the issue much more clearly than hockey.

I'm going to try the contrast below 75 and cell light at 20 today...although it seems crazy to have to do something that extreme to be able to enjoy watching "The Masters", which I have never had any issue with in the past. That event uses the best HD camera's made and should look stunning on virtually any HD TV, but nooooooo : (
post #2352 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I have personally sat in front of four different 64F8500's at four different Best Buys. I brought personal Blu-rays to play on each set.

The Life of Pi: For the expansion shots of skies and oceans.
Celion Dion, A New Day: For the blacks and the bright colors and especially the bright whites that run through the black back ground.
Baraka: For the colors, skies, sharpness, snow, etc.
Along with the Avengers which was the Blu-ray of choice for a couple BB's

I searched for every flaw that I could find for a total of over four hours of viewing and I have not seen one pop, not one floating black, not one band, not one fluctuation.

All I could see was a beautiful picture on non-calibrated TV's with skin tones and colors which I perceived better than my calibrated 55B8000.

I talked to a couple Magnolia reps that I know and I was told that they have sold a few already and there has been not one complaint from the owners. It almost seems to me that the only F8500 sets that have a problem are those owned by AVS members.

Am I wrong in thinking this because I am seriously considering the 64F8500.

m
funkahdafi likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #2353 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM

JimShaw - just do what I'm going to do: buy it and find out for myself. As soon as Samsung/Best Buy work out my exchange process I plan to get the 8500 in my house to test it out for myself. Worst case is that it goes back and I figure out another option - not something I really want to do.
post #2354 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

I have personally sat in front of four different 64F8500's at four different Best Buys. I brought personal Blu-rays to play on each set.

Celion Dion, A New Day: For the blacks and the bright colors and especially the bright withes that run through he black back ground.

I searched for every flaw that I could find for a total of over four hours of viewing and I have not seen one pop, not one floating black, not one band, not one fluctuation.

All I could see was a beautiful picture on non-calibrated TV's with skin tones and colors which I perceived better than my calibrated 55B8000.

I talked to a couple Magnolia reps that I know and I was told that they have sold a few already and there has been not one complaint from the owners. It almost seems to me that the only F8500 sets that have a problem are those owned by AVS members.

m

Jim, avs forum members are nuts smile.gif Get the panel and enjoy
SiGGy and funkahdafi like this.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #2355 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Celion Dion, A New Day: For the blacks and the bright colors and especially the bright whites that run through the black back ground.

m
Jim you should know by now that when people come to a forum like this usually its to report a problem not that they dont have one wink.gif

If you cant find the issues, then I say enjoy your set wink.gif not everyonee will\can see some of the issues talked about and so far moat of these errors have been "corretlable" via settings and not occuring on all content...Yes there ahve been some members with major issues, but thats going to be the case with any set released......
Those that are happy have been VERY happy with the set......
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Jim, avs forum members are nuts smile.gif Get the panel and enjoy

I dont know if crazy is the right term, but if there is a problem with a TV it will for sure come out here wink.gif .....Id rather have this open discussion then overflowing gushing reviews all the time smile.gif
post #2356 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Yes, it is 64". I think "The Masters" is the perfect event to see exactly what this issue is and if it can be fixed. WATCH THE BALL AS THE CAMERA FOLLOWS IT ABOVE THE TREES AND INTO THE SKY. That shows the issue much more clearly than hockey.

I'm going to try the contrast below 75 and cell light at 20 today...although it seems crazy to have to do something that extreme to be able to enjoy watching "The Masters", which I have never had any issue with in the past. That event uses the best HD camera's made and should look stunning on virtually any HD TV, but nooooooo : (

Jack make sure its not the source for the sky scenes, sometimes its the camera doing this.....my brain is frozen right now for the term, but when there is low light you may see "fluctuations" due to the camera trying to deal with the actual light thats available....Often when it starts to get late youll see them show the difference between what they are showing (it doesnt look that bad) and what it actually looks like (very dark).......Just another consideration. I didnt watch enough yesterday to see if I could detect anything, but Ill try to see if I notice anything today (non F8500 TV)...

Ive seen video\pictures to show the difference between what we are seeing on TV and then what it actually looks like, but I cant find them right now....With the cloudy conditions at Agusta, it wouldnt surprise me to see some "issues" wink.gif ........
post #2357 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

I as well am concerned about the display lag noted in the UK review, to me this is even more of a concern than the ABL "issue" that has been discussed at great length here. I'm hopeful DisplayLag will test this set, they have already stated that the Panny ST60 will be tested, so we will know better if the NA 8500 suffers from >50 ms lag. If true, that'd really be a bummer.
post #2358 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Could someone with a 64f8500 do me favor. Please watch this video on your f8500

http://showcase.vive.ly/videos/431C6Q

(Samsung demo, fashion culture)

and let me know if you see brightness pops (many, few, none?), with normal and lowered contrast.

much appreciated.
post #2359 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Could someone with a 64f8500 do me favor. Please watch this video on your f8500

http://showcase.vive.ly/videos/431C6Q

(Samsung demo, fashion culture)

and let me know if you see brightness pops (many, few, none?), with normal and lowered contrast.

much appreciated.

Hey thank you for sharing the link. Awesome videos
I have been looking for Samsung's demo (makeup video)
would would appreciate it if anybody has a link to it

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #2360 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

I'm curious you have the 51" and your using miller's 64" cal settings and you like the pq?? Myself and pie setup our 51" using his cal day & night settings and really didn't like the picture, we both wrote it off to what worked on the 64s doesn't work for our 51s...

PS: thrilled to hear the guys with 64" got a handle on the brightness issues, although it just proves bigger isn't always better biggrin.gif

you mean IS Always better! wink.gif

i am a bit surprised but his 64" settings look quite good! altho i do go back and forth between warm 2 and 1.... i know someone else also tried these settings with not much luck, 51". when i had the e7000 none of the calibration numbers (incld ones for same size tv) worked. i chalked it up to just panel variance. i havent opened up cal day/night so have only tried movie mode. one of these days i'll get around to experimenting with the 3D....

how is the picture with cal day & night with no calibration settings? just curious if it is worth it to open those or better left alone!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2361 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

m

Come on Jim, you know you really want the 65ZT60 biggrin.gif

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #2362 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is not a bad thing.........

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #2363 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

I'm want to try to get around to testing this later today or this weekend at the latest. I'm like you on this one - I don't want it to feel sluggish while playing games, but I'm not trying to be a world champion either. But it's a real concern and one I wasn't expecting to have to worry about with plasma. Either way I plan on getting an Oculus Rift when it's available next year. cool.gifsmile.gif

Did you ever get around to testing the reported input lag with gaming?
post #2364 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

This is not a bad thing.........

Only at AVS would not seeing flaws be a "bad" thing wink.gif

Is against AVS code of conduct to NOT look for flaws and you are not "real" until you find some biggrin.gif
post #2365 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlwl View Post

Did you ever get around to testing the reported input lag with gaming?

Considering its only been about two hours I am going to go with a no wink.gif check back tonight and you may have your answer smile.gif
post #2366 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post

Come on Jim, you know you really want the 65ZT60 biggrin.gif
I know if he want a XBR-65HX950 he needs to buy now before they are gone.......

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #2367 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I know if he want a XBR-65HX950 he needs to buy now before they are gone.......

I hope that Jim gets a set that he is happy with. So many nice sets coming this year.

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #2368 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Hoping now that some of the PQ issues are dying down ... we could move on to some of the other features of this model. I've read very little about the Smart TV features ...

I've got a perfectly fine PN50C6500 ... but am intrigued by the Smart Features on this model, e.g. recommendations, hand gestures, guide data, etc.

How well do they integrate with a STB (Tivo in particular? It would be great to sometimes say "what football is showing" or the like.

How well does the remote work with other equipment? I've got an Onkyo HT-S9400THX and a Onkyo BD-SP809 (Blu Ray).
post #2369 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:

Considering its only been about two hours I am going to go with a no wink.gif check back tonight and you may have your answer smile.gif

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

So Ph8te, I'm not sure I ever asked you, but have you ever seen the 8500 in person?
post #2370 of 12514 Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

So Ph8te, I'm not sure I ever asked you, but have you ever seen the 8500 in person?

Yes I went to one of the Magnolias nad saw one, they didnt list it as available on the BB website, but luckily they had 2 on display the 64" in the "main" room and the 51 in the audio room. The 64 was the only one playing any content and that content feed was horrible, had artifacts, fluctuations and what looked like some type of interference that showed up as some type of IR......Looking past that though I didnt notice anything off with the set, personally the "off angle" viewing was better then I thought it would be as the pictures earlier in the thread greatly exaggereted the effect. It was there, but I had to be right on the TV in order to see it....I thought the picture looked the most natural of the sets there, but unfortunately I wasnt able to play with the settings. I am planning on going back with a USB for some test material and my Harmony One (ill download the settings for the PNE8k) so I can play with the settings...From waht I saw it didnt deter me from wanting to buy the TV smile.gif

I am a little hesitent becasue of the reports of fluctuations, but as we ahve seen thsoe can be "corrected" but really whats the point of having a brighter TV if you cant have it display those bright settings wink.gif I dont watch Hockey really, so I am more interested in its overall performance when it comes to fluctuations...

Im waiting on the VT reviews and hopefully having them set up at one of the local Magnolias so I can compare the two as I think personally the ZT may not offer "enough" of a benefit over the VT in terms of performance for the price premium.......

Much like you though I am still "high" on the F8500.

Since the room it will go into can get fairly bright during the day, I will needa TV that can combat that for day\early evening viewing when the Sun will be shining....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page