Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 85 - AVS Forum
First ... 83  84  85 86  87  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
AuralSex's Avatar AuralSex 07:45 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

VT has a 6 core processor.

This is right from the Panasonic website: Dual Core Hexa-Processing Engine

Huh? Your guess is as good as mine. Sounds like Panasonic is playing some semantic games here.

bargervais's Avatar bargervais 07:50 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

First, number of cores in two unknown CPUs means squat. I have a hex core Phenom. I'm pretty sure a quad or even dual core i7 will kick it to the curb on most tasks.

Second, yes, the processor from everything I've read is for the UI. doesn't do anything for your PQ.

Personally, I would love to be able to buy something with same PQ as 64f8500 and no 3D or smart features whatsoever for, oh, $500 less tongue.gif

Thanks that's what I'm thinking but I do like the smart stuff so the bigger processors weather it's quad or 6x hex they are needed to run all the smart features smoothly without freezing up the TV.
Moonchilde's Avatar Moonchilde 07:59 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Huh? Your guess is as good as mine. Sounds like Panasonic is playing some semantic games here.

LOL, nm then that makes no sense. So Hexa may only be the name of the processor they've designed, and not actually 6 cores.
bargervais's Avatar bargervais 08:04 AM 04-14-2013
Does any know what IR problem on the VT Verses the F8500 I read that the Panasonic has a bigger problem then the Samsung is this correct thinking. all my stuff two plasmas and an LED ARE Samsung I don't want to jump ship I'm looking to replace my PN50C7000 with either a 55" VT60 or a 51F8500
bos617's Avatar bos617 08:29 AM 04-14-2013
Prometheus 2D I had a e8000 and Promethus crushed it, hence the f8500. Like I said dig the panel going to try one more...
pred1973's Avatar pred1973 08:38 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Dual core... Hexa processing is that it processes the image in 6 ways, I'd have to go hunting for what those 6 things are, but the Hexa is for how it processes the image and NOT the number of cores in the processor.
bargervais's Avatar bargervais 08:40 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos617 View Post

Prometheus 2D I had a e8000 and Promethus crushed it, hence the f8500. Like I said dig the panel going to try one more...

What do you mean Prometheus crushed it ???? I have a E8000 and didn't notice anything both in 2D and 3D different.
bargervais's Avatar bargervais 08:45 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred1973 View Post

Dual core... Hexa processing is that it processes the image in 6 ways, I'd have to go hunting for what those 6 things are, but the Hexa is for how it processes the image and NOT the number of cores in the processor.

Cool I'm leaning more to the F8500 because my history with Samsung I'm just a bit worried about the IR ON THE PANASONIC someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
bos617's Avatar bos617 08:46 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

What do you mean Prometheus crushed it ???? I have a E8000 and didn't notice anything both in 2D and 3D different.

Just my opinion liked the shadow detail better on the f8500 more then e8000. Great panel nonetheless.
JMUdukes07's Avatar JMUdukes07 08:54 AM 04-14-2013
Does anyone know if you can disable the little pop up that comes up every time I turn on the TV telling me that my camera and microphone are disabled because they are pushed in?
David_B's Avatar David_B 09:19 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

There were several just in that thread a several earlier in this thread that indicated that they had finally been granted an exchange for the D series. The fact that they refunded me is proof that the fix wasn't 100% for everybody like you imply.

Edit: where did I say it was def 800? I said that was the case on my particular TV 3 different times.
No, it's just proof Samsung has world class customer service and wanted to make you happy.

I have had the "fix" since it came out, and very very very rarely see a pop, so much so I always wonder if it's the content when it happens now.

SUPER happy with my D8000. should hold me till the Samsung OLED is affordable.
JMUdukes07's Avatar JMUdukes07 09:25 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

No, it's just proof Samsung has world class customer service and wanted to make you happy.

I have had the "fix" since it came out, and very very very rarely see a pop, so much so I always wonder if it's the content when it happens now.

SUPER happy with my D8000. should hold me till the Samsung OLED is affordable.

Whatever man.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the fix wasn't permanent on my D7000. It was reported by more than a few other people on this forum that the pops also eventually returned. Samsung may have world-class customer service, but I still had to show their tech's on 3 separate occasions that the pops had returned so it's not like they just believed my story and allowed me to do an exchange.

I don't want to derail this thread further but this is ridiculous. The difference in model, size, panel used, etc. could all have had an impact on different people's experience with the fix. Regardless, it's strange that they stopped even sending out the update to people and you had to use an emulator to even apply it.
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 09:32 AM 04-14-2013
Pulled the trigger on an 64f8500....

still very early in the game(less than 24hrs) so i'll provide a brief synopsis on what i'm seeing.

the good: very bright panel just incredible for a pdp, I have a very bright LR, and this set has know problems punching through the high ambient light. the blacks do however wash out a bit, but not to severe. nice sleek design I have it wall mounted, and it looks very nice. the 64" stand is also nice if that is your thing, but my god could they of may it any wider. I can see this being an issue for people. great contrast and "very good" blacks(sorry I've owned an Sharp Elite). VP seems to do well, and of course sharpness is top notch. need to adj sharpness I have set at 0, but if I can increase a notch or two w/out introducing ringing I shall. I like a very sharp image. the built in speakers are surprising not bad for what they are. I utilize a ht, but for casual use they are very doable. the assembly quality is very good fit and finish seem to be very well done.

the bad or should I say disappointment: there is a buzz same directional buzz as I have heard on all Samsung pdp panels since the B series. although I will say it is not as severe as the past sets and is tolerable with the set on at normal listening levels or ht on it's simply not an issue. only when muted or very low volumes. ABL-"pops" yep there present like others setting of 74 contrast alleviates it. so far my most noticeable moment was with commercial material.as of now it's tolerable it happens every now and then not all the time. like Ken and others have mentioned it is weird on some bright material it doesn't trigger it and other times it does. this is strange. now for my biggest issue, and a surprising one I have a pinkish vertical band primarily in the middle of the display from top to bottom. it is most noticeable of course with light material. it doesn't stick out at you to bad and if it doesn't get worse it's tolerable. nobody, but us videophile's or analphile's are going to pick it out.

overall 1st impression I give it a B+ Samsung did a pretty good job with this one. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this panel to anyone, especially if you have a bright area.

edit: forgot to mention IR so far has been nonexistent.
floridaman's Avatar floridaman 09:33 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

All Plasmas will buzz to a degree and it is usually directional. Some people are more sensitive to the frequenxy. Th eone thing that has actually been reported across the boar is the minimal amount of buzz if any with these sets.......Usually with buzz you dont hear it once you ahe the TV speakers at normal volume or if you move a degree off center......
I agree that all plasma tv's buzz to a degree but directional buzzing isn't normal. I have owned lots of plasma tv's and none of them had directional buzzing except for the Samsung sets. Samsung has defeated the buzzing this year or least I hear no directional buzzing from my 64F8500. This was one of my major concerns with the 64F8500. Fortunately there is no buzzing. You are correct in that to avoid the directional buzzing you would have to move away from the center of the set and this takes away from the home theater experience and is unacceptable in my mind. IMO most people like to watch TV in the center of the viewing area.
jackobots's Avatar jackobots 09:35 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Wow, I thought you were so high on the display jacobots. Has the popping been so bad you've done a 180??

Well, I still love the tv, but I realize it has not been designed to perfectly handle the additional brightness the panel provides. I see the pops, some flickering, and overly white facial tones for example. Plus, I'm really curious about the Z60 panel...I'll try to explain why.

When you set the F8500 contrast to 95 or 100 and let Direct tv enter the screen saver mode, with the Direc tv simple floating across the screen, there is a huge white halo around the symbol...which I believe is a reflection. The reflection is greater on this tv than any other I've seen....maybe because of it's additional brightness and contrast. I think that may be the underling reason for the problems we are seeing.

By eliminating the gas layer like Panasonic has done with the Z60 panel, I have a feeling the reflection may also be eliminated, resulting in a much more stable picture, and possibly cleaner better defined as well.

The F8500 is the best tv I've owned (including the dull VT50), but it does have some issues. The Z60 may be better...and since it is not available yet, and my return window is closing, my curiosity is too much for me to handle, so I'm going to send it back...for now. I can always get another one in a month or so : )
Pinger's Avatar Pinger 09:37 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:

Does any know what IR problem on the VT Verses the F8500 I read that the Panasonic has a bigger problem then the Samsung is this correct thinking. all my stuff two plasmas and an LED ARE Samsung I don't want to jump ship I'm looking to replace my PN50C7000 with either a 55" VT60 or a 51F8500

You can't go wrong with either, I've put 200 hours of break-in on my 51F8500 and can confidently can say I've seen no IR issues and like I said when someone earlier asked about buzzing (again no buzzing what so ever here) IR and buzz were my greatest concerns coming from LCDs and thankfully I couldn't feel happier about my choice, this TV is flatout awesome..
Good luck with whichever one you choose and above all enjoy it!!
g12eyfox's Avatar g12eyfox 09:37 AM 04-14-2013
Wondering if anybody can answer this question. Are the black level on the 51 the same or comparable to the 60 and 64? In the past, the 51 size always had lighter blacks. So far, all reviews has been on the bigger sizes. Thanks in advance.
bargervais's Avatar bargervais 10:08 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

You can't go wrong with either, I've put 200 hours of break-in on my 51F8500 and can confidently can say I've seen no IR issues and like I said when someone earlier asked about buzzing (again no buzzing what so ever here) IR and buzz were my greatest concerns coming from LCDs and thankfully I couldn't feel happier about my choice, this TV is flatout awesome..
Good luck with whichever one you choose and above all enjoy it!!

That's great to hear I'm getting closer to make a decision when I bought my PN60E8000 exactly one year ago today 4/14/2012 the price dropped $300 in May of 2012 so that gives me some time if history repeats itself I'm just guessing that when Panasonic releases their full line prices may come down a bit but I'm just speculating. But I do have some time to make a decision as I'm going to sell my PN50C 7000 and use that money towards the new one
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 10:23 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by g12eyfox View Post

Wondering if anybody can answer this question. Are the black level on the 51 the same or comparable to the 60 and 64? In the past, the 51 size always had lighter blacks. So far, all reviews has been on the bigger sizes. Thanks in advance.

I dont think we ahve seen any measurements on the 51" but there seems less variance between this years sets then in years before....
moshock's Avatar moshock 10:24 AM 04-14-2013
Any head-to-head comparisons with Panasonic's line this year? CNET's ST60 review has me wondering how the Samsungs stand up. And they still have the VT/ZT coming!

/fire starter
Pinger's Avatar Pinger 10:26 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:

That's great to hear I'm getting closer to make a decision when I bought my PN60E8000 exactly one year ago today 4/14/2012 the price dropped $300 in May of 2012 so that gives me some time if history repeats itself I'm just guessing that when Panasonic releases their full line prices may come down a bit but I'm just speculating. But I do have some time to make a decision as I'm going to sell my PN50C 7000 and use that money towards the new one

Thats cool, especially nice to have the PN60E8000 in the meantime, I came from the A850 so I was absolutely ready for a upgrade, I just had enough of the my LCD's flashlighting, cloudy blacks and uniformity wasn't as good as I hoped which all together almost drove me to get the ST50 in January but luckily rumors of the F8500 & ST60 were stirring so I waited 3 months to upgrade and it was absolutely the right thing to do... compared the ST60 & 8500 and to my eyes the 8500 won hands down, money was not a factor but it does seem to be for you, my only stipulation was it had to be be 50-51" (thats why it came down to the ST60 vs the 8500).
Take your time and go multiple times to compare your choices, numbers are great but your eyes are what truly matters!!
buzzard767's Avatar buzzard767 10:30 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:

If that's the case, then the search continues for what Cal Day does differently relative to popping. Aside from the differences in the calibration settings itself, I still wonder if there isn't something that's engaged or disengaged by Samsung that might be unknown to the calibrator.

This is a very different panel than Samsung has made in the past.

The Cal modes are doing something and have been for a few years. As an example, on my F8000 LCD LED an accurate calibration cannot be made using standard Windows patterns on a black background. APL Windows and full Field patterns work fine. The Movie mode does not have this anomaly and I've never seen an explanation.

It is obvious that some F8500 setups are creating problems likely due to ABL and others are not. I can't believe it's a matter of individual sensitivity. There is plenty of time before the Shootout to get it sorted out. I want to replace my VT50 up north, would love to have the peak luminance possible with the 8500, but will wait till the Shootout before deciding between the Samsung and the ZT60.
bargervais's Avatar bargervais 11:15 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Thats cool, especially nice to have the PN60E8000 in the meantime, I came from the A850 so I was absolutely ready for a upgrade, I just had enough of the my LCD's flashlighting, cloudy blacks and uniformity wasn't as good as I hoped which all together almost drove me to get the ST50 in January but luckily rumors of the F8500 & ST60 were stirring so I waited 3 months to upgrade and it was absolutely the right thing to do... compared the ST60 & 8500 and to my eyes the 8500 won hands down, money was not a factor but it does seem to be for you, my only stipulation was it had to be be 50-51" (thats why it came down to the ST60 vs the 8500).
Take your time and go multiple times to compared your choices, numbers are great but your eyes are what truly matters!!

That's what I'm thinking I'm in no real rush I presently have three sets a C7000 a D8000 and a E8000 as I already dropped a lot of coin already in the last three years I want to be a little more patient I'm definitely going to get the evolution kit for the E8000 I know it doesn't improve PQ I mostly want to see the smart hub and then I'll make my decision. It's supposed to be available in May. It's not really a money issue it's just that friends and family are saying I have an electronic bug and say I'm a little OCD When it come to video and audio. I always want the best. People tell me hay I saw a 60" Samsung at xyz store for five hundred should I get it. I don't have the heart to tell them what I think LOL eek.gif
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 11:23 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Thank you Ph8te for the video.
This looks very good too.

I was wondering how would the makeup demo look on a plasma since it had lots of bright scenes.

Well at least IMO what you want is a high contrast screen (both dark and bright colors\white.....I dont think it will show the same (ABL function) when all you have all bright colors.....

There are a TON of good demo videos out there wink.gif but I think the one you are looking for specifically (high pastel colors that they showed a CES this year) is part of a new demo disc) Probably wont be available until later in the year.....
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 11:29 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

The Cal modes are doing something and have been for a few years. As an example, on my F8000 LCD LED an accurate calibration cannot be made using standard Windows patterns on a black background. APL Windows and full Field patterns work fine. The Movie mode does not have this anomaly and I've never seen an explanation.

It is obvious that some F8500 setups are creating problems likely due to ABL and others are not. I can't believe it's a matter of individual sensitivity. There is plenty of time before the Shootout to get it sorted out. I want to replace my VT50 up north, would love to have the peak luminance possible with the 8500, but will wait till the Shootout before deciding between the Samsung and the ZT60.

The only thing I have ever seen posted and I assume its a guess is that the Cal=Day\Cal Night turn off certain settings by default.....What those settings are and what else does it change behind the scenes I dont know. I leave that to the more technically inclined in this area wink.gif Id love to hear what it actually does change though as I am sure others would as well
Halimali's Avatar Halimali 11:38 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Well at least IMO what you want is a high contrast screen (both dark and bright colors\white.....I dont think it will show the same (ABL function) when all you have all bright colors.....

There are a TON of good demo videos out there wink.gif but I think the one you are looking for specifically (high pastel colors that they showed a CES this year) is part of a new demo disc) Probably wont be available until later in the year.....

I think it is already more than a year old but still could not find it anywhere.

This video was posted in Jan 2012.

Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 11:49 AM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

Pulled the trigger on an 64f8500....

still very early in the game(less than 24hrs) so i'll provide a brief synopsis on what i'm seeing.

the good: very bright panel just incredible for a pdp, I have a very bright LR, and this set has know problems punching through the high ambient light. the blacks do however wash out a bit, but not to severe. nice sleek design I have it wall mounted, and it looks very nice. the 64" stand is also nice if that is your thing, but my god could they of may it any wider. I can see this being an issue for people. great contrast and "very good" blacks(sorry I've owned an Sharp Elite). VP seems to do well, and of course sharpness is top notch. need to adj sharpness I have set at 0, but if I can increase a notch or two w/out introducing ringing I shall. I like a very sharp image. the built in speakers are surprising not bad for what they are. I utilize a ht, but for casual use they are very doable. the assembly quality is very good fit and finish seem to be very well done.

the bad or should I say disappointment: there is a buzz same directional buzz as I have heard on all Samsung pdp panels since the B series. although I will say it is not as severe as the past sets and is tolerable with the set on at normal listening levels or ht on it's simply not an issue. only when muted or very low volumes. ABL-"pops" yep there present like others setting of 74 contrast alleviates it. so far my most noticeable moment was with commercial material.as of now it's tolerable it happens every now and then not all the time. like Ken and others have mentioned it is weird on some bright material it doesn't trigger it and other times it does. this is strange. now for my biggest issue, and a surprising one I have a pinkish vertical band primarily in the middle of the display from top to bottom. it is most noticeable of course with light material. it doesn't stick out at you to bad and if it doesn't get worse it's tolerable. nobody, but us videophile's or analphile's are going to pick it out.

overall 1st impression I give it a B+ Samsung did a pretty good job with this one. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this panel to anyone, especially if you have a bright area.

edit: forgot to mention IR so far has been nonexistent.

As you are a former Elite owner, I love this review Airgas (Airgas is a very discerning owner to those that don't know him). Can you give me some additional comparisons to the Elite?

I know that no plasma will match or exceed the Elite's black levels, but how close is the 8500? How about the color, shadow detail etc?
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 12:02 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I think it is already more than a year old but still could not find it anywhere.

This video was posted in Jan 2012.

yes thats the one I was looking for smile.gif so far the only video I have seen is that one....I know there was a Demo called "Fashion Make-Up" but I ahve been unable to find a video clip related to it....It appears that it is also apart of the 2012 LED Demo disc but I cant find the specific clip that reltes to the scene you are askig for..
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 12:19 PM 04-14-2013
Quote:

As you are a former Elite owner, I love this review Airgas (Airgas is a very discerning owner to those that don't know him). Can you give me some additional comparisons to the Elite?

I know that no plasma will match or exceed the Elite's black levels, but how close is the 8500? How about the color, shadow detail etc?

ken, the colors are nearly spot on, and shadow detail is yet to be determined haven't fired up any demo material for that. last time I had a plasma in my LR was a VT30, and the ambient light ate it for dinner. the f8500 has no sweat whatsoever punching through it. it truly is impressive for a pdp.
oinchats's Avatar oinchats 12:38 PM 04-14-2013
It seems like I buy a TV every 10 years or so. In fact got my first flat screen LED in 2009. Made the mistake of getting a 32" as that was plenty big for my old CRT. I am ready for a 65". I have read a few thousand posts on the F8500 and the ST-VT 60's. Maybe I have too much information for my viewing preferences. These panaels may be overkill for me as I only watch HD TV, lots of footbal and basketball (maybe less Lakers now that they are Kobe-less) and a movie now and then. I have yet to make a decision as I am waiting for reviews by CNET of the F8500 and the VT60. But for someone uninformed as I am can someone explain in simple not-tech english what exactly is a "pop" and the "ABL". Thanks in advance for any reply.
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 83  84  85 86  87  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop