Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2581 of 13102 Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm giving my set an A+++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 13102 Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

You said it is the best panel ever! Period! Or words to that effect. Or do I have the wrong person?

Yep, that was me : ) It's a great tv! The ultimate picture quality is better than any other plasma I've seen, but I'm on vacation now and finally have had the time to really check it out in detail. Like so many of the tv's on the market now, it does have some issues. I'm hoping the ZT60 has the same or better picture quality without the issues. It's probably a pipe dream, but I would like to know for sure...it just seems like the smart thing to do.

ps) Yes, I noticed my parents Samsung LED also had the popping when they panned the sky at the Masters...maybe it's a Samsung issue, I don't know. I do know the sky does not look that way though : )
post #2583 of 13102 Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

um...I have yet to see a perfect set. it's simply not going to happen. the primary reason I chose the f8500 over the vt/zt60 (in which probably will be better in some areas) is the overall panel brightness. I get unrestricted horizontal viewing angles and lcd like brightness. sounds like I did my homework for "MY" situation. do you dig what I'm saying?smile.gif

+1
I'll 2nd that word for word...
Personally I'd give it a A+ for I have yet to find a single issue and it has the best PQ I've ever seen...
post #2584 of 13102 Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Yep, that was me : ) It's a great tv! The ultimate picture quality is better than any other plasma I've seen, but I'm on vacation now and finally have had the time to really check it out in detail. Like so many of the tv's on the market now, it does have some issues. I'm hoping the ZT60 has the same or better picture quality without the issues. It's probably a pipe dream, but I would like to know for sure...it just seems like the smart thing to do.

ps) Yes, I noticed my parents Samsung LED also had the popping when they panned the sky at the Masters...maybe it's a Samsung issue, I don't know. I do know the sky does not look that way though : )

Not a Samsung issue it has to do with the source. You'd see those changes regardless of what TV you had because that's what the feed had in it. That's not popping btw wink.gif (at least from my understanding of the issue)

Hopefully the ZT makes you happy not sure I can wait till June/August or maybe later for the set. Right now from early reports the ZT is off my list because of the delay and its between the VT and F8500.
post #2585 of 13102 Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 345
As much as I've been enjoying reading about the F8500, and as positive as the feed back seem to be, I am wondering if there is a step down model similar to the ST from the VT and the VT from the ZT in the Panasonic line.
post #2586 of 13102 Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

As much as I've been enjoying reading about the F8500, and as positive as the feed back seem to be, I am wondering if there is a step down model similar to the ST from the VT and the VT from the ZT in the Panasonic line.

The only step down is the F5500 which is a MAJOR step down. Samsung removed the "middle sets" and streamlined this years offerings. Panasonic really only removed the GT in the NA market but the rest remains basically the same.
post #2587 of 13102 Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

+1
I'll 2nd that word for word...
Personally I'd give it a A+ for I have yet to find a single issue and it has the best PQ I've ever seen...
I think it is a great set too. To each there own though.
post #2588 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 13
I've had this set for two days now and I am happy to say that I have absolutely no complaints about the PQ so far. I really can't wait until more people start posting their settings (preferably for the 60 inch) in the other thread so I can try to improve the PQ even more. Once I give it a few months I will probably try to see if I can convince the wife to let me have Chad B or someone come out and calibrate it for me.

The only complaints I have about the entire set:

a) The remote - I get what Samsung was trying to do but the remote is such a nightmare to use compared to the standard remote that comes with most sets. I'm lucky that the Magnolia guy didn't care about taking the remote with him when they took my D series so I have a fully functional remote with all of the buttons. I'm still not sure how you do some of the basic functions with the included remote.

b) Stand functionality - I was surprised when I realized that I really do like how the stand looks. I absolutely hated the look when I first saw the pictures a few months back but it really does look sharp. However, I'm not sure why Samsung would take away one of the best things about their previous stands - swivel. I found this to be very useful and will probably have to consider mounting in the future to try to get some of that functionality back.

I'm happy to say that the picture is very stable on my set (especially compared to my D series) and I am very impressed with this effort from Samsung.
post #2589 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Generally speaking, what is the rationale behind buying the F8500 so early in the 2013 season? The VT60 and ZT60 are coming soon. The ST60 is getting some terrific reviews. Are most of you Samsung fans or otherwise anti-Panasonic? Just curious.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #2590 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Generally speaking, what is the rationale behind buying the F8500 so early in the 2013 season? The VT60 and ZT60 are coming soon. The ST60 is getting some terrific reviews. Are most of you Samsung fans or otherwise anti-Panasonic? Just curious.

I would think its becasue thy want\need a TV now rather than later.....
They have a bright room which the F8500 compliments
They went to see the F8500 and liked it enough to buy it
They got an exchange from Samsung and either paid the difference (which is usually under 1K).....

The ZT60 isnt due until August for most online\lower retailers thats not really "soon"
The Vt60 is trickling out and is not widely avaialble......

Is there a reason why someone needs to be anti panasonic or a Samsung fan to not wait?

Some people dont need "braging rights" with thier TV they want a TV with a great picture that they they will be happy with.....
post #2591 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

I could hardly disagree more. smile.gif

3D is very important to me as well

My Atmos setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 + SEK2000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
DEN Atmos Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
post #2592 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

3D is very important to me as well
Other than blu-ray discs, where else can one access 3D content?

I feel strongly both ways!
post #2593 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

I've had this set for two days now and I am happy to say that I have absolutely no complaints about the PQ so far. I really can't wait until more people start posting their settings (preferably for the 60 inch) in the other thread so I can try to improve the PQ even more. Once I give it a few months I will probably try to see if I can convince the wife to let me have Chad B or someone come out and calibrate it for me.

The only complaints I have about the entire set:

a) The remote - I get what Samsung was trying to do but the remote is such a nightmare to use compared to the standard remote that comes with most sets. I'm lucky that the Magnolia guy didn't care about taking the remote with him when they took my D series so I have a fully functional remote with all of the buttons. I'm still not sure how you do some of the basic functions with the included remote.

b) Stand functionality - I was surprised when I realized that I really do like how the stand looks. I absolutely hated the look when I first saw the pictures a few months back but it really does look sharp. However, I'm not sure why Samsung would take away one of the best things about their previous stands - swivel. I found this to be very useful and will probably have to consider mounting in the future to try to get some of that functionality back.

I'm happy to say that the picture is very stable on my set (especially compared to my D series) and I am very impressed with this effort from Samsung.
Agree about the remote. While aesthetically it really is a thing of beauty, it gives up a LOT in terms of day to day functionality to accomplish that. If I'm not mistaken the VT/ZT avoid this by providing two remotes with their sets -- one which is similar to the F8500's and one more traditional one with all the necessary buttons.

As to the stand, I thought I'd like it more. As it goes fully from edge to edge of the set I found it extended over the edges of the stand I'm using to place the TV on. As such it was far from an aesthetic masterpiece (lol). I also missed the swivel ability though the VT/ZT has dispensed with this as well.

I feel strongly both ways!
post #2594 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Other than bluray discs, where else can one access 3D content?

Cable\Sattelite, NetFlix, Vudu.....those are jsut the quick 3 off the top of my head..
post #2595 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3364 Post(s)
Liked: 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I think popping is different because the screen brightens when it should be dimming. It is unexpected so it looks wrong.

I agree, but I was referring to a stepped change in brightness induced by a camera that could be mistaken for popping. I think some will not correctly asses that the stepped camera change is going in the opposite brightness direction than the popping would. The knee-jerk reaction will be: stepped change=8500 popping issue
post #2596 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Directv offers a couple of channels...but the content is kind of bland...also offers a PPV. 3D channel...again,limited content
post #2597 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I would think its becasue thy want\need a TV now rather than later.....
They have a bright room which the F8500 compliments
They went to see the F8500 and liked it enough to buy it
They got an exchange from Samsung and either paid the difference (which is usually under 1K).....

The ZT60 isnt due until August for most online\lower retailers thats not really "soon"
The VT60 has yest to be released (most likely this week)

Is there a reason why someone needs to be anti panasonic or a Samsung fan to not wait?

i have and had both samsung and panasonic
I'm waiting to make My Decision when both Panasonic the VT60 55" is available on Amazon but the 65" is at least a 3 t0 5 weeks away but i'm getting very Anxious but i will wait at least 6 weeks from now

My Atmos setup Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ Samsung PN60E8000 + SEK2000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
DEN Atmos Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Acoustic Audio 151B Indoor/Outdoor Speakers top middle on Ceiling Speakers/ Samsung PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray /
post #2598 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Agree about the remote. While aesthetically it really is a thing of beauty, it gives up a LOT in terms of day to day functionality to accomplish that. If I'm not mistaken the VT/ZT avoid this by providing two remotes with their sets -- one which is similar to the F8500's and one more traditional one with all the necessary buttons.

As to the stand, I thought I'd like it more. As it goes fully from edge to edge of the set I found it extended over the edges of the stand I'm using to place the TV on. As such it was far from an aesthetic masterpiece (lol). I also missed the swivel ability though the VT/ZT has dispensed with this as well.

Which is the strange thing it looks like the EU gets both the new remote and a "regular" remote from the looks of it and the avforums review...THey sacrice a pair of glasses for the remote, I think most here would gladly give up a pair of glasses for a regualr remote, but of course if you have a Harmony or such you can program it for the E or D series and the remote should work as well...
post #2599 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Yeah, my stand extends over the edge of the stand about an inch on each side. Doesn't really look bad but I thought the "floating" stand that the D7000 came with was perfect in pretty much every way.
post #2600 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Other than blu-ray discs, where else can one access 3D content?
Vudu, Smart Hub Directv are three that i know of.

post #2601 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:

I don't know so that's why I asked.

Quote:

Some people dont need "braging rights" with thier TV they want a TV with a great picture that they they will be happy with.....

Who said anything about "bragging rights"? If the ST60 is a better value, then why the rush to get the first plasma o ship? If the VT60 is flat out better all-around and for a similar price, then why not wait a few weeks? For those who want the VERY best, then the ZT60 is only a few months down the line.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #2602 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Which is the strange thing it looks like the EU gets both the new remote and a "regular" remote from the looks of it and the avforums review...THey sacrice a pair of glasses for the remote, I think most here would gladly give up a pair of glasses for a regualr remote, but of course if you have a Harmony or such you can program it for the E or D series and the remote should work as well...

I wonder if Harmony will have the codes from the EU remote in its database. Otherwise, as you said, the E or D series should work.
post #2603 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Well believe it or not I sold my last display, and needed another one. the 8500 fit the bill for my needs quite well. therefore, I purchased such said display, and the rest is history. I'm not a fanboy of any mfg, I am a fanboy of PQ though.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2604 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It would seem as though they didn't cancel my replacement tv for my tv that has a scratch. I think they are trying to seduce me lol. Let me as this question straight out because I don't have any experience with Samsung. Does every one think they will come up with a fix to the brightness popping?

Thanks for the input.
post #2605 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:

I don't feel like going 2-3 months without a TV just to wait for a set isn't going to be a huge leap above this set. Also, I have had both Panasonic and Samsung plasmas and usually prefer the video processing on the Samsung's, although both companies make very nice sets. The fact that Panasonic seemed to take big steps backwards last year as far as IR and video processing of certain content also made me a bit nervous.
post #2606 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

If the ST60 is a better value, then why the rush to get the first plasma o ship? If the VT60 is flat out better all-around and for a similar price, then why not wait a few weeks? For those who want the VERY best, then the ZT60 is only a few months down the line.

Ah, a Panny fanboy. You've made a couple of assumptions there that the VT60 is flat out better all-around and the ZT60 will be the very best. You are probably correct at least on the latter, but let's wait for the direct comparison. Another reason to prefer the Samsung is that Samsung plasmas generally handle IR better.
post #2607 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

It would seem as though they didn't cancel my replacement tv for my tv that has a scratch. I think they are trying to seduce me lol. Let me as this question straight out because I don't have any experience with Samsung. Does every one think they will come up with a fix to the brightness popping?

Thanks for the input.

I don't see much of this popping on my set (even with hockey), but I wouldn't count on them doing anything to fix the issue if it is really bothering you that much. It seems as though the ABL is functioning the way Samsung engineered it to.
post #2608 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

what is with this Electronic Touch Pen Function Capability that Panasonic has is this more for presentations i would never ever let anyone myself included touch the screen. Could you imagine a house with kids seeing this they would be writing all over it eek.gif

post #2609 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 127
a couple observations on the "pops". hockey does appear to be the "be all, end all" nuisance to the ABL circuitry. even w/ my contrast at 74 I still see the two-step ramps. I avoid this by simply not watching hockey. sorry hockey fans not my cup of tea. now if I go back to the 95/20 settings I see it every now and then usually with commercials. even with a reduced contrast level to minimize the "pops" it is still plenty bright for my LR. I woke up this morning when it was still dark out, and turned on the display to watch some news and was nearly blinded. I thought maybe someone or something was showing me the stairway to heaven.biggrin.gif I still can't get over how intense this panel is.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2610 of 13102 Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

I don't see much of this popping on my set (even with hockey), but I wouldn't count on them doing anything to fix the issue if it is really bothering you that much. It seems as though the ABL is functioning the way Samsung engineered it to.

Well if you have a 51" that is probably why you don't see it. I have a 64" and it is all over the place on hockey and bright transitioning to dark content. I love everything about this TV except for this. I can never tell when the screen is dimming. Just when it "pops" in brightness. If Samsung could figure out how to make it look more natural I would be happy. Which brings me to my next question.

Does this type of transition even exist on a 64" or 65" TV? Will I be able to watch hockey and other bright content on a plasma tv without the pop? Can the ABL activation and deactivation ever look natural?

Again, thanks for the input and dealing with someone who has never owned a plasma.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page