Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2821 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

I didn't say "his" settings looked drab,, I said settings that have been posted for 64" that have been posted looked drab, being at work I won't be able to check them out on my TV until tomorrow.. If they work for you great but don't assume because they look good to you they should look good on mine..
And yes I am one of those who said we have no buzzing or pops and I don't.. You have buzzing and/or pops with your 51"?? Not sure if I'm reading you right but I'm reading attitude into your post??
Quote:
Thanks David & mighty..
Always nice to see different settings BUT eagerly waiting for some cal settings for the 51", so far the settings for the 64" are not 51" compatible (PQ wise).
Well, I must have mis-interpreted your post then. You thanked mouse for his settings...I thought you had tried them out. As far as buzzing and this brightness pop (ABL) phenomenon is concerned, I truly believe there's not a single 8500 (51/60/64) that is unaffected. It's all a matter of how sensitive one is to these phenomena. There is a slight buzz coming from the back of the 8500 (upper left corner). It may be oscillation from the power supply or other circuitry, but it's there. I heard it from all the 8500's on display at best buy, but only if I put my ear real close to the back panel. As for the brightness pops, it would be very strange if your 8500 didn't exhibit this (with contrast set above 85). I've read all of your posts on this forum stating that your tv doesn't have this issue. I truly believe you can't see or hear these issues, but I don't believe "your" tv is immune from either of these anomalies. The brightness pop is like a magic trick....some folks can see how the trick is done, while others can't and call it "magic".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Yeah it's been fun Ph8te, but the real A/B I wanted to see was the ZT60 & 8500. But it was fascinating seeing the VT and 8500 with the same material. smile.gif

Soon sooon wink.gif
post #2823 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

Surprised to read this. Based on what most people have reported aren't the fluctuations mostly an issue with only hockey? Or are you seeing this a lot more than other people? I wish my D series plasma had a more subtle ABL function, but I found that I quickly got used to it during Caps games and it really doesn't bother me. The brightness pops during other content is what really drove me crazy and it sounds like that hasn't been an issue for most.

For me it was hockey, then my daughters tv shows, then commercials. I am just thinking plasma may not be for me that's all. Great picture, great blacks. But these fluctuations are just too much for me. And when my wife starts to say "wtf was that. Did the screen just get brighter?" and I didn't even talk to her about it, I think that's enough for me. I am beginning to think plasma tvs (please don't kill me for this) are more of a Blu-ray movie type tv and not necessarily an everyday tv. I am thinking about looking for a full array tv somewhere. If I needed a tv for strictly movies, this would be the one. JMO. Thanks to everyone here that helped me out.

Try a Panasonic. wink.gif

post #2824 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Try a Panasonic. wink.gif

he is already looking att one or a few...
sheshechic likes this.
post #2825 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Response from Ken,

Carlos,

The output in CAL-NIGHT was 39.285 fL (FYI, it's in the Post-Calibration section of the report).

In response to your other question, I would think the set could be successfully dialed down. As a calibrator, I would shoot for around 30 fL in an ideal studio environment. If you want to experiment, you could plug the CAL-NIGHT settings into Movie mode and turn down the Cell Light.

The F8500 is one bright TV. For night viewing: Those calibrated settings of Contrast at 90 with Cell at 10 yields close to 40 ftL. Wow! That's way too bright for me.

Larry
post #2826 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:

Response from Ken,

Carlos,

The output in CAL-NIGHT was 39.285 fL (FYI, it's in the Post-Calibration section of the report).

In response to your other question, I would think the set could be successfully dialed down. As a calibrator, I would shoot for around 30 fL in an ideal studio environment. If you want to experiment, you could plug the CAL-NIGHT settings into Movie mode and turn down the Cell Light.

The recommendation by the calibrator to turn down the cell light in cal-night could explain why some have cal-night brightness pops in very specific scenarios.
post #2827 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Well, I must have mis-interpreted your post then. You thanked mouse for his settings...I thought you had tried them out. As far as buzzing and this brightness pop (ABL) phenomenon is concerned, I truly believe there's not a single 8500 (51/60/64) that is unaffected. It's all a matter of how sensitive one is to these phenomena. There is a slight buzz coming from the back of the 8500 (upper left corner). It may be oscillation from the power supply or other circuitry, but it's there. I heard it from all the 8500's on display at best buy, but only if I put my ear real close to the back panel. As for the brightness pops, it would be very strange if your 8500 didn't exhibit this (with contrast set above 85). I've read all of your posts on this forum stating that your tv doesn't have this issue. I truly believe you can't see or hear these issues, but I don't believe "your" tv is immune from either of these anomalies. The brightness pop is like a magic trick....some folks can see how the trick is done, while others can't and call it "magic".

So we have come down to we know what people see and hear on thier sets when we ahvent seen or heard them ourselves? this never leads anywhere good.. frown.gif
post #2828 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiznant View Post

I'm glad you love your Kuro, I certainly did. But if it's glowing, maybe you should turn your saturation down a bit? wink.gif

Unless of course your dinner and movie involves psyosibin mushrooms...

You're quite the movie buff I see. I wouldn't touch the color one bit. Until you see a Kuro calibrated by the best,you do not know what you're missing!
I spent an entire weekend watching the F8500. Nice yes, but I I got home and saw the same material on my Kuro,forget about it. Different league.
Ok. Continue with insults...

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #2829 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Response from Ken,

Carlos,

Great to hear and thanks again. smile.gif

post #2830 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Come on Dan let us enjoy what we have I went through this when I bought my PN60E8000. There were reports of buzzing but my TV did not and still to this day does not buzz and they basically said I was lying and said all plasmas buzzed. They said anyone over 35 were getting hard of hearing and that I was basically deaf.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #2831 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

So we have come down to we know what people see and hear on thier sets when we ahvent seen or heard them ourselves? this never leads anywhere good.. frown.gif

Don't ask me, apparently I'm blind and deaf... lol
I can see see clouding, flash lighting and picture uniformity issues with my A850 but i can't see brightness pops??

Ph8te I totally agree, only took 10 years here before being told I'm full of $%!+ biggrin.gif
post #2832 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Don't ask me, apparently I'm blind and deaf... lol
I can see see clouding, flash lighting and picture uniformity issues with my A850 but i can't see brightness pops??

Ph8te I totally agree, only took 10 years here before being told I'm full of $%!+ biggrin.gif

Well i guess youve beenfully initiated then wink.gif
post #2833 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

You're quite the movie buff I see. I wouldn't touch the color one bit. Until you see a Kuro calibrated by the best,you do not know what you're missing!
I spent an entire weekend watching the F8500. Nice yes, but I I got home and saw the same material on my Kuro,forget about it. Different league.
Ok. Continue with insults...

Not really sure what the point of a post like this is. Oh wait, I do.

He watched (or suffered?)) through an entire weekend watching the F8500! So here we have someone that already previously saw the display, expressed how much better his Kuro was and yet still returned to spend an entire weekend watching this inferior display. Can anyone imagine the pain? wink.gif

AVS can be a great place for humor too! smile.gif
post #2834 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

i beleive k millers are 10pt white bal settings... unless i picked it up incorrectly, but i presumed the numbers after the high RGB (gains) are for the 10pt intervals

Yea, I saw 6 different #'s thats why I think there the 2pt, but didnt know why (on some of the 6) they had an additional # with them...

Heres the movie mode:

Low Red: 22/
Low Green: 25/
Low Blue: 24/
High Red: 25/3=*1,6=*4,8=*1,9=*2
High Green: 24/3=*1
High Blue: 25/3=*1,4=+2,7=+2,8=*3,9=*2,10=+3

So, the first numbers are 2pt & the extra numbers are 10pt? I dont know, thats why I guessed they were the 2pt because their was 6ofthem... What do the other #'s mean and are they locked out unless you have a calibration done... because when I open the 10pt is has one-point interval and you can only set each color to one-number, not several numbers like you see there.

So I set the 2pt to the numbers that are the 'main' number in Millers movie mode

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2835 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 14
So do you have any news from samsung techs about fixing brightness pops?
post #2836 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

Yea, I saw 6 different #'s thats why I think there the 2pt, but didnt know why (on some of the 6) they had an additional # with them...

Heres the movie mode:

Low Red: 22/
Low Green: 25/
Low Blue: 24/
High Red: 25/3=*1,6=*4,8=*1,9=*2
High Green: 24/3=*1
High Blue: 25/3=*1,4=+2,7=+2,8=*3,9=*2,10=+3

So, the first numbers are 2pt & the extra numbers are 10pt? I dont know, thats why I guessed they were the 2pt because their was 6ofthem... What do the other #'s mean and are they locked out unless you have a calibration done... because when I open the 10pt is has one-point interval and you can only set each color to one-number, not several numbers like you see there.

So I set the 2pt to the numbers that are the 'main' number in Millers movie mode

you can.... click on interval 1 which brings up numbers up to 10... not every interval number has changed values. dont know how to explain!! try it you, will get it! first interval that has changed values is interval 3, then go back to interval and click 4, etc....
also recheck millers numbers as they have + or - for those red, green, blue values

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2837 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Quote:

i beleive k millers are 10pt white bal settings... unless i picked it up incorrectly, but i presumed the numbers after the high RGB (gains) are for the 10pt intervals

Heres the movie mode:

Low Red: 22/
Low Green: 25/
Low Blue: 24/
High Red: 25/3=*1,6=*4,8=*1,9=*2
High Green: 24/3=*1
High Blue: 25/3=*1,4=+2,7=+2,8=*3,9=*2,10=+3

Those are 10pt. 10pt adjustment is for tweaking your gains (aka "high") which is why he lists them after the high 2pt settings. Basically go to the interval and adjust that color as he indicated.

Example:

High red: 23/3=-1, 6=+2 means you adjust the 2pt gain to 23, then in your 10pt you go to interval 3 and set the red to -1 and for interval 6 set the red to 2.

Make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #2838 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

He watched (or suffered?)) through an entire weekend watching the F8500! So here we have someone that already previously saw the display, expressed how much better his Kuro was and yet still returned to spend an entire weekend watching this inferior display. Can anyone imagine the pain? wink.gif

Ken I honestly can't understand why any of the loyal Panasonic and kuro lovers find a need to come here and bash, berate and try to point out any/every possible flaw concerning our TVs?? Its not like our microscopes aren't strong enough rolleyes.gif
It would be like us going to the ST, LG and kuro forums telling them how bright and detailed ours are compared to theirs, that would be nothing short of childish in my book...
If you love what you have enjoy it, we do, if you want to discuss it or ask advice go to your TV's forum but don't be so rude add to go to another forum with malicious intent and no hifi59 this isn't directed squarely at you, I have brought this very issue up before, not sure if it was in this thread or the original F8500 thread..

PS:Ken I totally appreciate and enjoy your contributions and your sharing of knowledge and opinions here, you've been a great help to many of us and even taken time out of your day to check issues over Robert's shop and report back to us your findings... Not to mention the voice of reason in many times such as this one.. Thank you.
post #2839 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just returned from another visit to the same Magnolia. I asked them to put on a less stylized movie so that I could get a better handle on color. They put in Iron Man which had some really nice bright as well as dark scenes. Again, neither panel was calibrated (8500 in Movie mode, VT60 in THX Bright mode).

IMO dark scenes were a draw, but bright scenes went to the 8500 as it did better in holding large expanses of white. This created a greater sensation of depth. I saw absolutely no pops during the brightest of scenes. However again, I felt the VT showed a bit more shadow detail.

It just seemed that the 8500 was a more versatile display. Of course it would have been nice to see an A/B between these 2 guys in a totally dark environment. I suspect they'd be very close.
post #2840 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Our TV's, your TV forum, malicious intent?
post #2841 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiznant View Post

Black flactuations, brightness fluctuations well turning one of these features off does degrade black level performance and ansi contrast . I am just thinking man , can't they fix these issues already, they have been reported on previous models , they have not learnt.
post #2842 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I just returned from another visit to the same Magnolia. I asked them to put on a less stylized movie so that I could get a better handle on color. They put in Iron Man which had some really nice bright as well as dark scenes. Again, neither panel was calibrated (8500 in Movie mode, VT60 in THX Bright mode).

IMO dark scenes were a draw, but bright scenes went to the 8500 as it did better in holding large expanses of white. This created a greater sensation of depth. I saw absolutely no pops during the brightest of scenes. However again, I felt the VT showed a bit more shadow detail.

It just seemed that the 8500 was a more versatile display. Of course it would have been nice to see an A/B between these 2 guys in a totally dark environment. I suspect they'd be very close.

Any comment on how the 2 handle motion? I was wondering because I hear the 2013 Panasonics have almost perfect motion and that would be a win for Samsung if it could match them.
post #2843 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Yea, my fault. Forget my last post. I dint know how to adjust the 10pt. I just did it, so yea thats right and I now have all the 2&10pt white balance in correct.

Cheers.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2844 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Pinger. As you know, I don't own the F8500 (still deciding), but I've seen enough of it to see it's truly an awesome display. IMO a beautiful meld of LED and plasma and yes, I think it's superior to my late and great Pro 151.
Yes, heresy, but that's just MO. smile.gif
post #2845 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, my fault. Forget my last post. I dint know how to adjust the 10pt. I just did it, so yea thats right and I now have all the 2&10pt white balance in correct.

Cheers.

cool! glad u figured it out from my ill attempt at describing!! enjoy:)

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2846 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

So do you have any news from samsung techs about fixing brightness pops?

I was just going to ask the same thing from the group. I chatted to support today saying I haven't heard back from my Tier 2 tech. They said ticket still shows as "pending" and that I should wait another 24-48 hours and if I haven't heard back to contact them.

Hmmm...we'll see. Anyone else make headway?

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
post #2847 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Any comment on how the 2 handle motion? I was wondering because I hear the 2013 Panasonics have almost perfect motion and that would be a win for Samsung if it could match them.

Although I didn't focus on it, I didn't see too much difference once I tried to minimize the SOE. In fact neither struck me as being better or worse in the motion category...at least when displaying 24p content, which is all I saw.

Now in the comparison between the Kuro and the ZT at the Panasonic show, the ZT did clearly better with the 60p content that was shown. In that comparison, no 24p content was shown.
post #2848 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 96
Quote:

best buy: greetings Mr. hifi59 how are you today? hifi: oh not to bad, do you have my spot ready for me. I'll be here the entire wknd viewing barney and friends in front of this thing they call a 8500. my kuro at home is just to good for me, so I need to view a inferior picture for awhile.rolleyes.gif
Ken Ross likes this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2849 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

best buy: greetings Mr. hifi59 how are you today? hifi: oh not to bad, do you have my spot ready for me. I'll be here the entire wknd viewing barney and friends in front of this thing they call a 8500. my kuro at home is just to good for me, so I need to view a inferior picture for awhile.rolleyes.gif

lol! smells like envy to me wink.gif

post #2850 of 12514 Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 96
Quote:

what do you think about the vp/sharpness of the vt60? I think the 8500 is just exceptional. something Samsung does very well.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com