Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

Yea, my fault. Forget my last post. I dint know how to adjust the 10pt. I just did it, so yea thats right and I now have all the 2&10pt white balance in correct.

Cheers.

so are you using Kevin's? I have those plugged in on mine, and even though there for a 60" they look very very good. being my panel is so new w/ less than 50hrs i'm sure they will drift some though.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Thanks Pinger. As you know, I don't own the F8500 (still deciding), but I've seen enough of it to see it's truly an awesome display. IMO a beautiful meld of LED and plasma and yes, I think it's superior to my late and great Pro 151.
Yes, heresy, but that's just MO. smile.gif

" meld of LED and plasma" excellent analogy...couldn't agree more.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2853 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post

There's an old thread kicking around here where this is discussed...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1271384/the-difference-between-samsung-film-modes

Based on that info, its best to use auto1? Is that info the same for the f8500. Does anyone know if its on auto1or2, when your playing a bluray-1080p or any p content, does it turn off automatically or do you manually have to turm it off everytime you watch 1080p, 720p, 480p...

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2854 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

what do you think about the vp/sharpness of the vt60? I think the 8500 is just exceptional. something Samsung does very well.

Air, I think the sharpness is obviously better on the 8500. In fact, I tried bumping up the sharpness on the VT from its default of 50 to 55. The 8500 at its default was still obviously sharper and not a bit noisier either.

You are right, Samsung really does well in this area on the 8500.
post #2855 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

cool! glad u figured it out from my ill attempt at describing!! enjoy:)

This hdtv just got even more wicked with the 10pt wb and Ive owned a Kuro-9gen for several yrs...

Beauty.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2856 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:

so are you using Kevin's? I have those plugged in on mine, and even though there for a 60" they look very very good. being my panel is so new w/ less than 50hrs i'm sure they will drift some though.

Using all Millers movie settings on the 64. 144hrs of breakin... I posted the settings on the f8500settings thread.
Looks wicked here too.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2857 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Hey Guys,

Got the ok from David to post my post cal settings. Here ya go. Post Call settings.pdf 28k .pdf file

Can you cut-n-paste or type them out. I cant open the attached file, my computer doesnt have the 'software' on it to see it. Thank you for sharing these calibrated settings.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2858 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

This hdtv just got even more wicked with the 10pt wb and Ive owned a Kuro-9gen for several yrs...

Beauty.

SWEET eh!!

Samsung PN51F8500 ~ Marantz SR5008 ~ Oppo BDP 103D ~ EMP Tek R55TiB LR, R56CiB, R55WiB ~ Sennheiser Momentum ~ Sennheiser 598
post #2859 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Gmarceau,

Any particular reason why you think they will update the optimizer? That would be interesting if they could improve the performance.

Only because they've already issued so many firmware updates and they've made huge improvements since last year, I'm sure they're working to make the set more efficient in that this year or next year, they'll hit .001fL with all types of content. The blacks are good on the set, so good that they're close to Kuro and the clarity of the panel, along with the brightness, design and colors all make it a top notch set. They're close to having the best pdp on the market in a dark room, too.

Anyway, their pdps have consistently improved. I wonder though if they'll continue to innovate again in 2014. I'm sure we'll have lots of questions regarding the future of sammy pdp at the shootout.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #2860 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post

There's an old thread kicking around here where this is discussed...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1271384/the-difference-between-samsung-film-modes

Based on that info, its best to use auto1? Is that info the same for the f8500. Does anyone know if its on auto1or2, when your playing a bluray-1080p or any p content, does it turn off automatically or do you manually have to turm it off everytime you watch 1080p, 720p, 480p...

Auto 1 for standard 60 frame content is the better choice. When the TV gets a 24p signal the auto1 and 2 grey out, and you use cinema smooth (which is greyed out when not in 24p.)

There is also Motion Judder Correction that you can apply on top of any of them. My recommendation - it's garbage, keep it off. It overcompensates, not only creating too much of a soap opera effect but also some visual artifact when it doesn't guess right filling in the missing info to achieve a smooth picture. This TV does awesome with motion without it anyway, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #2861 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:

SWEET eh!!

Trying out the auto1. From what Ive read on that other thread someone posted in the last few pages, it looks like its the one to use. I have no idea if its the same as those other models and asked if anyone knows if it kicks-off when you have and p-content playing... 1080p/720p/480p It would be nice not to have to turn it off everytime I put a bluray/dvd in...

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2862 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Quote:

Using all Millers movie settings on the 64. 144hrs of breakin... I posted the settings on the f8500settings thread.
Looks wicked here too.
I've been running his movie settings from the start. I'm at about 150 hours or so. Still look amazing, but I do feel they are slightly off (a tad green) and somewhat muted. Very minor, and to be fair to Kevin (who is an awesome calibrator) his CMS settings were not listed so none of us are running his complete calibration. I'll be curious, though, to see how my calibrator adjusts things when he arrives Friday.

post #2863 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Ken I honestly can't understand why any of the loyal Panasonic and kuro lovers find a need to come here and bash, berate and try to point out any/every possible flaw concerning our TVs?? Its not like our microscopes aren't strong enough rolleyes.gif
It would be like us going to the ST, LG and kuro forums telling them how bright and detailed ours are compared to theirs, that would be nothing short of childish in my book...
If you love what you have enjoy it, we do, if you want to discuss it or ask advice go to your TV's forum but don't be so rude add to go to another forum with malicious intent and no hifi59 this isn't directed squarely at you, I have brought this very issue up before, not sure if it was in this thread or the original F8500 thread..

PS:Ken I totally appreciate and enjoy your contributions and your sharing of knowledge and opinions here, you've been a great help to many of us and even taken time out of your day to check issues over Robert's shop and report back to us your findings... Not to mention the voice of reason in many times such as this one.. Thank you.

Where did I "bash" the Sammy? I have consistently said that it is a fine set. What Kenny boy can't stand is someone to disagree with his opinion that this tv is better than the Kuro. You see,what he says is the only truth be to,d. He just cannot fathom the FACT the Kuro is still superior to the tv. I am just speaking facts here. He has taken it to the level of another Kuro guy comming in here and trashing the Sammy. I am not. My son owns it. I have spent time with it. It has some issues but a fine set nonetheless. Better than anything Samsung has made to date. I ,like Ken, was thinking of buying one for a short while to replace my 60" Kuro Elite. I was getting bored year after year of owning the king! Perhaps the Sammy was going to change that. It didn't. That's the extent of it. Ole Kenny boy is predisposed to take on anyone who seriously disagrees with him on this level . He can't take it! So, go ahead and re-read my posts and tell me where I bashed the Kuro. All you will find is Ken putting this idea in people's head because he is king here,right? As a matter of fact,I have been just lurking here for the last week,minding my own business, till someone made a smart remark,I respond accordingly and then Ken sticks his nose in it as usual. I'm sorry to rain on anyone's parade by saying that the Kuro , IMHO, is still a better looking set and its not just the blacks. There are other Kuro owners lurking here because they are on the fence. I am letting them know and anyone else to not get to caught up in it all. If one wants the best tv ABOVE 60", then this is the place to be and the tv to get as of this time. I now continue to lurk until ,I'm sure, Ken will add his two insulting cents to my post. May will be here soon Kenny, and you can catch me on the Panny threads but they have their own king(s) over there so you will have to take a back seat .
vinnie97 and pred1973 like this.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #2864 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Remember though, we want him to verify an instance of popping first in a mode other than Cal Day and then replay that same clip in Cal Day to see if it disappears. Otherwise we don't know if it was Cal Day or he simply has no popping in any mode.

Yea, I know. Just wanted to try the cal day settings... for no pops.

Hey, is this right or wrong... If I put in all the cal day calibrated settings in 'movie mode' (since I didnt get a professional calibration done, that unlocked the day&night modes categorys... to click on them in my menu settings where you choose movie/standard/dynamic, etc.) will it be the same thing
or
is it just all of the cal day settings but still in movie mode. I understand its not 'calibrated' . Just didnt know if having the setting on movie, standard, relax,dynamic made a difference too.

Thanks,eh.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2865 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

Originally Posted by floridaman

Concerns that I have with my 64F8500.

1. The picture seems to have a soap opera affect especially on news stations. Maybe it is because the picture is much softer on this set. It could also be due to the fact the display is much brighter than any other plasma. The motion judder is set to off and I have tried all the settings with judder. You really can't see any differences when changing the judder setting which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the set.

I can also confirm that the set seems to be doing some type of frame interpolation even when the motion dejudder canceler (or whatever it's called, its convoluted) is off. Can't remember if it is just on hdmi sources or not or if its on the tuner input as well

2. The ABL fluctuations are what I would call severe on the set. It happens on most movies that I watch on Fios, HBO, Cinemax, etc. I know it isn't the source because I have checked same content on my other plasma and it doesn't do this. I have even seen this issue in movies with a dark background. You can pretty much count on seeing this when there is sky in the background. You can see the screen get brighter and it is always two fluctuations that are visible. I will post a video later that clearly shows this happening. My cell light is set to 20.

The brightness fluctuations can be remedied by setting the cell light to anything other than 16 or 17 and the black fluctuations can be remedied by turning off the black optimizer.

3. There is a faint horizontal band that is visible in lighter backgrounds especially if the scene is panning vertically. It goes across the entire screen. Been like this since day one. It almost looks like a band from the menu settings but I am not sure.

I too have a faint line or bar going across the screen about 1/2 the way up. Is rarely noticeable though. Like you said only on bright backgrounds with vertical scrolling.

Initially I thought this was a great set but now I am not so sure.

Do you have the 64 inch model? The cell light settings on my set don't change the brightness pops regardless of where they are set to. I have been able to eliminate this issue by setting the contrast at 85. The band I am referring to is 1.5 inches from top to bottom is near the center of the screen. it is a horizontal band. Very faint but noticeable in lighter backgrounds.
I do have the 64" model and the band I'm seeing is in the same place as yours. Can't say that I've noticed it as a band so much as just a line. That is to say I haven't seen the bottom of the band just noticed a faint line.
post #2866 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

I've been running his movie settings from the start. I'm at about 150 hours or so. Still look amazing, but I do feel they are slightly off (a tad green) and somewhat muted. Very minor, and to be fair to Kevin (who is an awesome calibrator) his CMS settings were not listed so none of us are running his complete calibration. I'll be curious, though, to see how my calibrator adjusts things when he arrives Friday.

the only thing I tweaked from Millers movie mode was warm1, becuse thats why it seemed a little greenish in what you are seeing.

Try warm1 and maybe turn down celllight, if it too much brighter. (I used warm2, cell@20)(then went to warm1, cell@14)

As Ive been told before, dont turn down brightness settings... it can screw up the blacks.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2867 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trying out the auto1. From what Ive read on that other thread someone posted in the last few pages, it looks like its the one to use. I have no idea if its the same as those other models and asked if anyone knows if it kicks-off when you have and p-content playing... 1080p/720p/480p It would be nice not to have to turn it off everytime I put a bluray/dvd in...

thanks! yes, what happened with the good ole days when you could just pop in a disc and it would play?!! wink.gif

Samsung PN51F8500 ~ Marantz SR5008 ~ Oppo BDP 103D ~ EMP Tek R55TiB LR, R56CiB, R55WiB ~ Sennheiser Momentum ~ Sennheiser 598
post #2868 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Robinson - will do in the am
post #2869 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey im up, will do for u... will put post in settings thread

post #2870 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks LJ
post #2871 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the only thing I tweaked from Millers movie mode was warm1, becuse thats why it seemed a little greenish in what you are seeing.

Try warm1 and maybe turn down celllight, if it too much brighter. (I used warm2, cell@20)(then went to warm1, cell@14)

As Ive been told before, dont turn down brightness settings... it can screw up the blacks.

not to mention every panel will vary some... so each may not transfer over with exactly same good results

post #2872 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 PM

Yeah I'm curious to see if the settings work even if set to movie mode. Why should cal mode be different just cause its named cal mode
post #2873 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Anyone have a chance to compare the smart hub streaming apps to other versions of the same apps. Curious to know if what I'm seeing is a placebo effect.
post #2874 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Thank you very much for doing that for me.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2875 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Also, I'll be watching Tron this weekend for pops. Any other suggestions? Maybe I can Netflix something before the weekend. Ken, do you remember exactly what it was you saw pops in during your time with the set? Anyone else have a movie where they can see repeatable pops? I have a fairly decent camera as well. Lets put this question to bed if we can.
post #2876 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Where did I "bash" the Sammy? .

That's why I wrote "hifi59 this isn't directed squarely at you"... That said the rest of your reply was the kind of stuff we F8500 owners do not care, want or expect to hear here at "The Official Samsung F8500'' forum.. Who or what is king has no place here and personal attacks/opinions should be left at the door, myself and I am sure others here care very little who is " king", that has absolutely no bearing on our discussions here. If someone has suggestions or ideas on making our F8500s pq better we're all ears but (again this is not aimed at you) the nonsense of why some other tv is better then ours doesn't belong here, heck we had a guy here questioning why instead of buying this tv we should buy curtains for our windows, nuts huh??
I have to add I don't think anyone has contributed more to this thread then Ken and I find your last post highly offensive and again it had no place here.. If he buys a F8500 or not is his choice but I'm just thrilled he was here sharing his opinions and thoughts at the time I was researching my new TV...
Halimali likes this.
post #2877 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

That's why I wrote "hifi59 this isn't directed squarely at you"... That said the rest of your reply was the kind of stuff we F8500 owners do not care, want or expect to hear here at "The Official Samsung F8500'' forum.. Who or what is king has no place here and personal attacks/opinions should be left at the door, myself and I am sure others here care very little who is " king", that has absolutely no bearing on our discussions here. If someone has suggestions or ideas on making our F8500s pq better we're all ears but (again this is not aimed at you) the nonsense of why some other tv is better then ours doesn't belong here, heck we had a guy here questioning why instead of buying this tv we should buy curtains for our windows, nuts huh??
I have to add I don't think anyone has contributed more to this thread then Ken and I find your last post highly offensive and again it had no place here.. If he buys a F8500 or not is his choice but I'm just thrilled he was here sharing his opinions and thoughts at the time I was researching my new TV...

Fair enough.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #2878 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for doing that for me.

no prob! done smile.gif

edit... how do they work for u? i havent tried em out yet

post #2879 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have a chance to compare the smart hub streaming apps to other versions of the same apps. Curious to know if what I'm seeing is a placebo effect.

i've streamed netficks from both smarthub and from sony s5100 bluray player... what are u seeing? not sure i know what you're askin!?

post #2880 of 12892 Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:

i've streamed netficks from both smarthub and from sony s5100 bluray player... what are u seeing? not sure i know what you're askin!?

Funny enough the 5100 is the Player I am looking at now to be my new BD player smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page