Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Also, I'll be watching Tron this weekend for pops. Any other suggestions? Maybe I can Netflix something before the weekend. Ken, do you remember exactly what it was you saw pops in during your time with the set? Anyone else have a movie where they can see repeatable pops? I have a fairly decent camera as well. Lets put this question to bed if we can.

I'll say it again...(sorry broken record)...3D Prometheus anyone? smile.gif Would love to know if the very apparent pops in opening sequence appear for anyone else and then disappear in same scenes in 2D Brave in 3D also has some easily reproducible scenes.

Think I'll try out Tron tonight.

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

With regards to the search for the elusive Brightness Pop, do any of you own a Blu-ray copy of any Black and White movie with good black and shadow details but with also plenty of both dark and light in the same scenes? I am thinking of a movie such as The Third Man. I am wondering if such a Blu-ray might be worth playing on your F8500 to check and see if the set exhibits any of the Pops that people are concerned about.

Maybe Sin City would do the trick.....
post #2883 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Funny enough the 5100 is the Player I am looking at now to be my new BD player smile.gif

i love it! tho i dont have anything to compare it to... my first bluray and its awesome. easy to navigate, quiet, fast load, and netficks streams flawlessly. its also very small. top is not flat but not near as exaggerated as pictures make it appear.

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2884 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Remember though, we want him to verify an instance of popping first in a mode other than Cal Day and then replay that same clip in Cal Day to see if it disappears. Otherwise we don't know if it was Cal Day or he simply has no popping in any mode.

I tried the cal day calibrated settings that mightymouse posted & I see no pops. I also used the settings I use, but put cell@10, again no pops. In both settings, black optimzer on or off didnot have any pops. Also warm1 or warm2, no pops. Everything I tried was in 'movie' picture mode option in the menu, with the cal day calibrated, Millers movie calibrated & the settings Ive been using(Millers w/tweak). All 3 had no pops when cell@10. There might/probably is more to it than that, but its a start and doesnt require contrast being at 74. Plus Im hearing the optimal FL is 30-32ish. So cell@10 is close to that right. (When cell@12or14, pops)

Im going to watch more ice to see if this holds up...

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2885 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

I'll say it again...(sorry broken record)...3D Prometheus anyone? smile.gif Would love to know if the very apparent pops in opening sequence appear for anyone else and then disappear in same scenes in 2D Brave in 3D also has some easily reproducible scenes.

Think I'll try out Tron tonight.

wish i had either to try... will be on lookout for any good deals to get them in the lineup!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #2886 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

i love it! tho i dont have anything to compare it to... my first bluray and its awesome. easy to navigate, quiet, fast load, and netficks streams flawlessly. its also very small. top is not flat but not near as exaggerated as pictures make it appear.

Ive held off as my Samsung BDP5k (HDVD\BR) player has served me well and still works. Ive seen the otehr models and agree that the pictures make it seem much more angular on top than it is in person, VERY small though. It will be nice not to really ahve to worry about if a certain Blu-ray will play and may actually get me back to renting movies eek.gif
post #2887 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

I tried the cal day calibrated settings that mightymouse posted & I see no pops. I also used the settings I use, but put cell@10, again no pops. In both settings, black optimzer on or off didnot have any pops. Also warm1 or warm2, no pops. Everything I tried was in 'movie' picture mode option in the menu, with the cal day calibrated, Millers movie calibrated & the settings Ive been using(Millers w/tweak). All 3 had no pops when cell@10. There might/probably is more to it than that, but its a start and doesnt require contrast being at 74. Plus Im hearing the optimal FL is 30-32ish. So cell@10 is close to that right. (When cell@12or14, pops)

Roninson thats the thing most have thier Cell light @18-20 , some go lower, but not as low as 10.......If you go to 18 Cell light and then 85 contrast 40-45 brightness do you still see pops? the same thing but change the contrast down to 74/75....having the cell light low is taking the majority of comparisons out of it as you would be an outlayer wink.gif

The base should be 18-20 cell light and then adjsut other settings from there. Then adjust the cell light and others accordingly........

to get that ftL you really need a meter to measure, you can only go based on assumptions and guesses otherwise....Although you can give an excellent educated guess based on previous models, you wouldnt be able to tell what you are outputting without a meter....
post #2888 of 12461 Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Roninson thats the thing most have thier Cell light @18-20 , some go lower, but not as low as 10.......If you go to 18 Cell light and then 85 contrast 40-45 brightness do you still see pops? the same thing but change the contrast down to 74/75....having the cell light low is taking the majority of comparisons out of it as you would be an outlayer wink.gif

The base should be 18-20 cell light and then adjsut other settings from there. Then adjust the cell light and others accordingly........

to get that ftL you really need a meter to measure, you can only go based on assumptions and guesses otherwise....Although you can give an excellent educated guess based on previous models, you wouldnt be able to tell what you are outputting without a meter....

Yea, Ive had the cell@20 & warm2, then cell@14 & warm1... The only reason I mentioned/tried cell@10 is that is the calibrated cal day mode of mightymouse & he said no pops on his tv. I did see pops, even cell@14, but have gotton used to it and it doesnt bother me that much anymore. I was using cell@20 w/warm2, but went to warm1 for better whites & cell@14 to keep overall brightness about the same (to my eyes, no meter)(other have posted aprrox. 40FL w/cell@16warm2...) So, I was just estimated w no meter on the FL. The only thing about cell@10 is the no pops. I did try contrast@74 and that worked too, but Im more used to them now, so I just put it back to cell@20. Until, I went to warm1...

cell@14, contrast@95, brightness@47, warm1, etc. with movie mode settings of Millers is what Ive been watching regularly. Just reporting to Ken on findings with mightmouse cal day calibrated settings in terms of pops.

Im going to try what Larry suggested next. Keep on experimenting & just use what looks best. Thanks for info, I keep on learning more things...

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2889 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

I've been running his movie settings from the start. I'm at about 150 hours or so. Still look amazing, but I do feel they are slightly off (a tad green) and somewhat muted. Very minor, and to be fair to Kevin (who is an awesome calibrator) his CMS settings were not listed so none of us are running his complete calibration. I'll be curious, though, to see how my calibrator adjusts things when he arrives Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thats why Ive been using Millers. I doublechecked my moviesettings & having colorspace on auto, that helps with the 'greenish tint'. I still like warm1 though. Yea, it would be nice to have all of the settings (Millers).

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2890 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:

no prob! done smile.gif

edit... how do they work for u? i havent tried em out yet

Its good & a little different. Definetly no pops on ice. Cell@10 is a little low, but not bad. Ive been using 14 & warm1. The only thing is all of those calibrated settings are based on warm2 and Larry said those whitebalance's is suppose to go with warm2, not1. So Im not sure, but still comparing. I like warm1, it makes the white white and takes away any green tint in some stuff. I put color space back to auto (I thought native was better, but I guess only for good sources like bluray?). Color space on auto helps with that green tint too. I just wish someone had professional calibrated settings that used warm1, so the 2pt&10pt would work with it properly. Tonight, Im comparing Mouse's & Millers cal night's (10pt wb is off for both calibrations/or not posted in info). To see if I like better than the movie ones Ive been using. Larry said to try a calibrationdisk, so I can get warm1 to work, but I have to get a dvddisk to burn it. Too bad you cant just plug an ethernet cord in and play it from the ps3 or tv itself...

Ive been watching for days with the current settings I posted, so Im used to them. It would take enough hrs of watching in the cal night modes to get a better sample size. We alyways watch in ideal environment, so Im using the movie & night modes... Let me know if you find anything or have tips/ideas.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2891 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Post deleted

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #2892 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 AM

Liked: 14
The tv has cal day and night mode by default or you need to activate them somehow? if so, how can you enable them?
post #2893 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Where did I "bash" the Sammy? I have consistently said that it is a fine set. What Kenny boy can't stand is someone to disagree with his opinion that this tv is better than the Kuro.

'Kenny boy' here. I have absolutely no problem with anyone disagreeing with what I say. That's why I so often preface what I'm saying with 'IMO'. I am here to learn from owners and simply give my observations in hopes that it might help some. Nothing more nothing less. This is (or should be) a community where we share thoughts and opinions about the product that the thread is referencing. Samsung owners, or those considering the panel, don't really want to read someone's opinion (even though it's stated as fact) about how much better their Kuro is than this panel. That's appropriate in a Kuro thread, not here.

I find this distasteful and lacking in etiquette. Again, this is not a Kuro thread, there are plenty of those. This a thread to share information on the 8500. I know personally I'm really not interested in a TV that's been out of production for years and can no longer be purchased. I'm certainly not interested in a TV that i owned for years and sold over a year ago. Call me strange, but when I shop for a TV, I shop only for those that are currently in production.

Kuro owners are fully capable of seeing the F8500 on their own and making their own comparisons. As with the Sharp Elite, some Kuro owners like me, may (and have) come to the conclusion that the F8500 is better in enough ways to make the overall PQ better than their Kuro. Others may not.

If you re-read your posts objectively, you will see that you have come to a Samsung thread to state unequivocally (as in not prefacing it with 'IMO') the Kuro is simply better than the 8500. Upon re-reading, you may also see why some of us find it amusing that a person who continually professes how superior the Kuro is to the 8500, continues to spend precious hours (or was it a weekend wink.gif) with the display he finds inferior. Generally speaking, once an opinion so strong as yours is generated, that person stops looking at the 'inferior' display and moves on. Why waste any more time? But those that do what you are doing are generally people who are seriously conflicted about their choice.
post #2894 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yea, I know. Just wanted to try the cal day settings... for no pops.

Hey, is this right or wrong... If I put in all the cal day calibrated settings in 'movie mode' (since I didnt get a professional calibration done, that unlocked the day&night modes categorys... to click on them in my menu settings where you choose movie/standard/dynamic, etc.) will it be the same thing
or
is it just all of the cal day settings but still in movie mode. I understand its not 'calibrated' . Just didnt know if having the setting on movie, standard, relax,dynamic made a difference too.

Thanks,eh.

I'm really not sure what presets exist behind the scenes (that we can't adjust) in these different modes Robinson. As an example, with many TVs, you can plug what appear to be identical settings from one mode to another, yet the two modes can still wind up looking very different. There are offsets they use in these different modes that make them truly different, despite what appear to be identical settings.
post #2895 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

The tv has cal day and night mode by default or you need to activate them somehow? if so, how can you enable them?

there in the service menu, which if you don't know what your doing could be a bad thing.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2896 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, I'll be watching Tron this weekend for pops. Any other suggestions? Maybe I can Netflix something before the weekend. Ken, do you remember exactly what it was you saw pops in during your time with the set? Anyone else have a movie where they can see repeatable pops? I have a fairly decent camera as well. Lets put this question to bed if we can.

Mighty, I've seen it only in two instances. The first on Robert's calibrated 64" on a hockey clip. What was weird was the fact that we saw a multitude of hockey highlights with the same apparent mix of fans (dark) and ice (bright), yet only one displayed the popping. Why that one? We have no idea.

The second was the bad one with that bad Grade B movie, that looked to be a poor transfer. However poor transfer or not, I saw multiple instances of popping that certainly looked display induced as opposed to being an actual part of the content. I say that because each instance was the typical 2-step ramp up in brightness.

I haven't gotten a chance to return to the store to find out what that movie was, but it would be a great test disc to use. If anyone has plans to be in the Westbury NY store, it was playing on the 64" 8500.
post #2897 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Anyone have a chance to compare the smart hub streaming apps to other versions of the same apps. Curious to know if what I'm seeing is a placebo effect.

Quote:

i've streamed netficks from both smarthub and from sony s5100 bluray player... what are u seeing? not sure i know what you're askin!?

mightymouse as ljmart asked what are you seeing? I have the Samsung BD-D6700 BluRay and would be happy to check what concerns or issues your seeing..
post #2898 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Still too early for the 2013 Panasonics....From early reports however it seemss to be greatly reduced from what was reported last year...As with any issue though these forums tend to "magnify" any issue to many times greater than it actually may be....

I have the ST60 and use it for workouts, and have yet to see any IR. Seems to be better than my GT30 in that regard.
post #2899 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So let me make sure I'm understanding you Robinson. Are you saying you can see pops on material that disappear when using Mighty's Cal Day settings in movie mode? His Cal Day had the Cell setting at 20, but yet the pops are gone?

Edit: I don't think you used a Cell light of 20 in your Cal Day settings in movie mode, if I read your post correctly. If not, can you try 20?

If this is the case, and it's easy for others to try on material they know causes popping, it would mean that you wouldn't even need the unlocking of the Cal modes to get rid of popping. Obviously this would be great news, but i have this feeling im missing something.

I should caution everyone that Kevin's Cal Day mode did get rid of that one instance of popping, but I'd love to see others with similar successes in their professionally calibrated displays, so we can feel confident that a professionally calibrated Cal Day is a true 'cure'. Of course the popping was still there on that one hockey clip in Cal Night mode. frown.gif
post #2900 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 62
i used Keven's movie mode settings on my PN60E8000 and the picture looks great IMHO love this TV can't wait till i get my F8500

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #2901 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Great news guys! Robert emailed me saying there will be a firmware update coming shortly, that addresses the brightness fluctuations as well as any floating black issues you may have seen. It might even bring about a lower MLL, but let's wait and see.

Robert went on to say that Samsung (as well as Panasonic) have been great in listening to and responding to complaints that he's brought up from our discussions here. IMO, if this popping can be fixed, this will be the display to beat. From what I've seen, it may be that already!

I can't say enough about the work that Robert has done behind the scenes to make a great display even better!
post #2902 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Does the F8500 comes in one color only (Black)?
I have seen this picture and silver looks very elegant

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #2903 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great news guys! Robert emailed me saying there will be a firmware update (1017.2) coming shortly, that addresses the brightness fluctuations as well as any floating black issues you may have seen. It might even bring about a lower MLL, but let's wait and see.

Robert went on to say that Samsung (as well as Panasonic) have been great in listening to and responding to complaints that he's brought up from our discussions here. IMO, if this popping can be fixed, this will be the display to beat. From what I've seen, it may be that already!

I can't say enough about the work that Robert has done behind the scenes to make a great display even better!

That is EXCELLENT news Ken. Really good. I really hope this new firmware will end the BR issues that some are having.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #2904 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

As far as I know it only comes in one color, but if you ahve enough money I am sure something could be done for you wink.gif

The set as it currently stands is not black, its like a dark titanium\gunmetal grey.....It looks VERY nice in person IMO much better than it comes across in pictures......
post #2905 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Great news guys! Robert emailed me saying there will be a firmware update (1017.2) coming shortly, that addresses the brightness fluctuations as well as any floating black issues you may have seen. It might even bring about a lower MLL, but let's wait and see.

I haven't noticed any floating blacks and I hope that I won't - crossing my fingers haha.

As far as the popping it's only been extremely rare during hockey games and barely noticeable. However, I'll be extremely impressed if Samsung addresses the issues that others are having quickly.

Despite what you often hear on this forum, I was pretty impressed with Samsung customer service in my dealings with them. I also appreciate the added 3 months they give you on your warranty if you register the product.
post #2906 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great news guys! Robert emailed me saying there will be a firmware update coming shortly, that addresses the brightness fluctuations as well as any floating black issues you may have seen. It might even bring about a lower MLL, but let's wait and see.

you may have just one the "ultimate good news delivery pkg of the decade award". wow...sweet....and way to go on Samsung's part if it holds true. talk about a fast turn around.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2907 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Yes Ph8te, I have been hearing this from others too. Everybody says the set looks nicer in person than in pictures. I hope so.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #2908 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"this will be the display to beat'-fighting words for some Ken. get that flame suit on fast.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2909 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I think thats the set thats sold in the UK

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #2910 of 12461 Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats great news Ken, although I am holding off excitement to see if they actually "fixed" these things.....I always take this with a grain of salt as sometimes you fix one thing only to break another frown.gif This is especially great news for those that are plagued with them hoipefully this maes the set liveable for them smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page