Panasonic 60ST60 or 60GT50 if price is the same? PLEASE HELP. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been researching TVs for months. I have decided to go with either the 60" GT50 from 2012 or the 60" ST60 that comes out next month. I can get both for $1699 total. I know they both have the 2500 panel, and the ST60 doesn't have the THX modes, but I was wondering what everyone's opinion is. My understanding is the GT50 produces an excellent picture, but the original price was so high that the its added features didn't warrant buying it over the ST50. However, if the price has dropped, and the GT50 is now the exact same price as the forthcoming ST60, should I go with the newer model, or does the picture on the GT, as well as the THX modes, make last year's model the right buy? Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can actually get both for even less than that. I'm in the same situation and decided on the GT50 just because I didn't want to wait for the ST60 to be released and wait even longer for good calibration settings....

Amazon has the 60" GT50 for $1699, but they will pricematch PaulsTV.com at their $1599 price.

The ST60 can be gotten via the EPP program on Panasonic's website for about $1444 (plus tax). Google EPP Panasonic to find directions on how to sign up through a perks program.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I actually just ordered the ST60 from Panasonic's site for 1546$ with tax. Could you possibly explain calibration settings? If you are't using the THX calibration, how do you go about properly calibrating the ST60? Thank you so much, your reply was very helpful. I can always cancel the ST and get the GT through amazon prime. Also I notice the GT has thousands more levels of gradation. Is this a spec that really affects picture quality? Thanks again.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should check out the forums at High Def Junkies to get calibration settings and info for the TV. THey have long thread about the ST50/GT50 series with tips. No one has any info on calibration for the ST60 yet.

I don't know whether the extra shades of gradation will make a difference. This seems to be what makes these two TVs different:

ST60
- 2 pairs of 3D glasses
- Clear plastic frame (assuming it is the same or similar to the ST50)
- 96 Hz 24fps playback (compared to the GT with 48Hz)

GT50
- 1 extra HDMI port
- Black frame (looks a little bit fancier than the ST50)
- VGA input
- THX preset day and night modes
- double shades of gradation
post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, man. This helped a lot. Much appreciated.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page