Buying floor model Samsung PN60E7000?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking at options to buy a plasma tv for several months now and narrowed my choices down to the Samsung PN51E7000 and the Panasonic TC-P50ST50. I know that the 2013s are coming out very soon, and most likely will be at higher price points, so I wanted to grab a 2012 while they are still out there. I wanted to see these two in action so I went over to Best Buy to check them out. Luckily, they did have both on display and I had decided on the Samsung (just think it has a sharper picture). Much to my dismay though they have discontinued the 7000 series at Best Buy and are sold out in my region.

The sales rep that I was working with offered to sell me the display unit, which is the 60" Samsung 7000 series, for $1199. Seems like a pretty awesome deal considering that the 50" is going for around $1000 pretty much everywhere that still has them. The unit shows no signs of burn in, dead pixels, or any other physical defect.

My concern is that according to the salesman this tv has been on display for roughly 8 months, and my guess is that it has been running for roughly 8-10 hours per day that whole time. That equates to roughly 2200 hours of run time. The one good thing is that the tv is in the Magnolia section where they do not have all of the tvs set to vivid or whatever store-demo brightness the other floor models are normally kept at.

Salesman said that the tv would include the original 1 year manufacturers warranty and I have the option of purchasing 2,4, or 5 year Geek Squad protection for an additional charge ($140, $230, $260).

I guess my ultimate question is whether the $1199 price is enough to justify the usage that is already on the unit? Should I pull the trigger on this deal before someone else takes the floor model or should I wait and see what price the 2013s come out at?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I see on price grabber lowest price is $1579 from b&h, which I believe is a reputable outfit (not scam site). Tough call, considering the hours on it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I've used B&H for one electronics purchase no issues at all & fast shipping.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Honestly, you can probably haggle a deal for a brand new one for close to that amount now (if you can find them)...The price restrictions on the sets have been released on the 2012 models and most are trying to clean out inventory to make room for 2013 models....You probably wont find as good of a deal on a 2013 set as Samsung has moved to a "price fixed" model where sales and discounts are rare during the current model year.....
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thats the issue that I am finding is that noone has them in this area. The only places that seem to still have stock are online retailers that I can't haggle with. I think I may just go for this deal since I can protect it for 5 years for a lower total cost than what I am finding the new ones at. Honestly, I will probably look to upgrade it not too long after that 5 year mark anyway since the OLED technology may be at a more affordable level by then.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
you cant haggle with online dealers? where is this rule written? Most good online retailers WILL haggle (outside of the biggest companies ala Amazon).....It doesnt hurt to try to throw them an offer...I know these sets are getting snapped up quickly however by all the bargain hunters, so YMMV....

I would also go over the set with a fine tooth comb testing for IR or any defects before purchasing......You may also want to see if you can get a lower price on the TV, its an outgoing model AND a floor model you may be able to get a better price on it....
Old 03-25-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

So I ended up buying the floor model after going over every possible detail of the set. I talked them down to $1090 so I am very happy about the final price. Got 5 years of protection, delivery, install, and the wall mount for an additional $399 so all in all I think this turned out to be a solid deal.

Tags
Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv