.mkv video playback problems through TV's USB port - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys!

A new owner of a magnificent Samsung 2012 Plasma model PN60E6500 - LOVE IT!

Just one issue I've ever encountered thus far is to do with .MKV video playback. By and large, for the most part, the majority of MKV movies I've attempted to play directly via USB (copied the movies onto a USB thumb drive, inserted directly in the USB port) with no issues whatsoever.

With one specific file, this happened:

On one MKV movie I wanted to watch, I pressed the PLAY button on my remote to start video playback. It took a while to load (~5 seconds or so) but it started with no problems. The issue occurred during playback - the STOP button would NOT work at all! It was totally unresponsive during playback. What I found weird was that the other buttons, the FF, RW, and Pause button all worked! I just couldn't stop the video and exit the movie whenever I wanted to!

After the movie played through to the end, after the end credits of the movie, I was expecting the movie file to stop playing and return me back to the USB drive sub-folders directory so I can choose another movie to play. HOWEVER, this didn't occur - when the movie ended, the "Loading" Indicator was displayed on-screen for about 5 seconds, then the TV shut itself off! Then it powered back on again.. all by itself!

Has any other PN60E6500 owners experienced this specific phenomenon? What could be the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Wow that's an interesting problem. On my 2011 panny 50ST30 using the DLNA feature I was fast forwarding at full speed through a video over the wireless from a win7 pc and it simply stopped and the tv rebooted. this occurred twice. Since then I never tried that and it never had a problem since so I conclude it to be a software bug. I've also seen the controls on certain videos have a limited functionality which is weird. May have something to do with codec support since there are so many possibility's with the MKV container. Maybe try a re-encode with a lower audio format. Could be a somewhat similar situation on your tv, maybe a similar model owner will chime in.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whipit,

Thanks for the reply - and yes, seems like a similar occurance. Y'know what? It may just be what you said, something to do with one of the codecs. Currently I do suspect this to be the case as other MKV movies of similar, even larger bitrates, perform flawlessly. This particular movie happens to be the DTS-ES audio codec (which from memory, I don't believe I've obtained movies previously with the "ES" extension).

I would expect that if the TV in fact did NOT support this codec, that a simple warning message would just appear indicating that! I remember on my last tv, a 2011 Samsung LCD - LN46D630, whenever a codec (either video or audio) was not supported, it simply popped up an error message indicating that "the audio codec is not supported" but the movie would continue to play normally (well, normally minus the audio portion for example).

I'm not overly concerned about this, as the tv seems to be very robust thus far (having owned it for just over a month) - it does everything that I could possibly hope it to do! I have already cross-referenced this via this AVSForums message board and contacting Samsung support. Samsung's support indicated that this "problem" movie file I'm speaking about probably has technical specifications outside what my PN60E6500 can handle (either codec support, bitrate, resolution or FPS).

On the only other file which I ever had an issue with on this particular tv, the TV simply ceased to play that file from the get-go and resulted in a reboot - different symptom all together. This other file did NOT have the DTS ES audio codec but displayed a different problem as I just mentioned.

Have you had any issues or experience in DTS-ES audio based files? Would a tv that can decode DTS core be able to decode DTS ES?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays