I know this might be a stupid question, but is there a way to get the "soap opera effect" on a plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went over to my cousins house and watched some tv and saw his looked way different, it looked life like. I did research and saw it was called the soap opera effect and saw the LCDs usually came with them, went home saw my tv didn't have an option so I looked it up and saw plasmas didn't have it. Now my question is with certain settings can I make my tv look like that? Just to test it out. If it helps my tv is a LG42PJ350....as you can see I know nothing about Tvs. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewQuinz View Post

I went over to my cousins house and watched some tv and saw his looked way different, it looked life like. I did research and saw it was called the soap opera effect and saw the LCDs usually came with them, went home saw my tv didn't have an option so I looked it up and saw plasmas didn't have it. Now my question is with certain settings can I make my tv look like that? Just to test it out. If it helps my tv is a LG42PJ350....as you can see I know nothing about Tvs. Thanks

You can't do anything unless the TV supports it. But my advice, stay far away. smile.gif
post #3 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

You can't do anything unless the TV supports it. But my advice, stay far away. smile.gif
Oh ok thanks
post #4 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Plasmas do have this feature by the way.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Plasmas do have this feature by the way.
Any idea how I can activate it? I am just really curious honestly
post #6 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any idea how I can activate it? I am just really curious honestly

I just meant that plasmas do have the feature, since I thought you were implying they don't

I don't believe your TV has it though.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wait....you want to turn the Soap Opera effect ON?! Most ppl want to find out how to turn that garbage off :P Look for motion interpolation/smoothing or something similar in the picture properties of your tv. If it doesnt have it....then i guess your particular set doesnt support that "feature"
post #8 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM

Liked: 20
If you go get a cheap video camera and videotape your movies, then go back and watch the video taped version you might be able to get the SOE that way. wink.gif

I watched my brother in law's TV and he had the SOE running. It took every ounce of my self control not to ask if they could please turn it off. I can't imagine watching a classic movie like the Godfather or something and having it look like it was videotaped in my backyard.

But that's just me...
post #9 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
You are gonna get shot asking that type of question on this side of the forum.. JUST JOKING
biggrin.gif Seriously though if you watched a whole movie that way, you would probably get a headache or probably not. I know when you first see it, it looks kinda cool but it really is a fake way of watching shows. Not the way movies are suppose to look but everyone has preferences i guess. I personally can't watch a whole show without feeling kind of dizzy.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #10 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

You are gonna get shot asking that type of question on this side of the forum.. JUST JOKING
biggrin.gif Seriously though if you watched a whole movie that way, you would probably get a headache or probably not. I know when you first see it, it looks kinda cool but it really is a fake way of watching shows. Not the way movies are suppose to look but everyone has preferences i guess. I personally can't watch a whole show without feeling kind of dizzy.
I can imagine why it would give a headache honestly, I thought my to didn't do it because it was old or something, and I thought that was how TRUE HDTVs were supposed to look, but I didn't realize how many people hated it
post #11 of 26 Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I don't think any plasma has the SOE to the extent that LCDs do. If you really like that look, you should get an LCD (aka LED).

Anyway, Peter Jackson and James Cameron like it, so you're in good company smile.gif
post #12 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
I really don't understand some of the replies!!
What you like I might dislike and what I might like you might dislike.

The guy has asked a very specific question. If you can answer him plz do so. But calling a technology as garbage just because you don't like it is not appropriate.
I have never owned a plasma otherwise would have answered you, but your question also made me curious too as I use that Soap Opera effect for specific videos.

I hope someone can answer without making fun at the poster or the technology.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #13 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

The guy has asked a very specific question. If you can answer him plz do so. But calling a technology as garbage just because you don't like it is not appropriate.
I have never owned a plasma otherwise would have answered you, but your question also made me curious too as I use that Soap Opera effect for specific videos.

What do you expect us to do, simply not enter threads or post in topics that don't interest us? Nice try, but I know WAY too much about tv's to just sit around & NOT get mad about them at someone.

mad.gif
post #14 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Drew,

You asked a very good question. It's a sensitive subject on the plasma forum, possibly because the competing technology (LCD) features this processing. The replies seem more interested in bashing the feature with the "SOA" pejorative than actually addressing your inquiry. So, I'll ask it again myself:

Plama-istas, enlighten us: Can you name a plasma display that performs Frame Interpolation (FI, aka SOA)? To be clear, we're talking about motion interpolation, not oversampling pulldown (i.e., 4:4 True Cinema, etc.) that corrects for 24 fpi/30 fpi film syncing issues.

I've never quite understood all of the hate directed at FI. The most common shibboleths -- "It's creating artificial images," "It's too real" -- didn't seem to be problems back in the early HD days when everyone welcomed Line Interpolation (aka "upconverting") DVD players.

For the record, I own a Pioneer plasma and an LG 3-D. Love the Frame Interpolation (SOA). (Love the passive 3-D too, so I would probably be excommunicated from the Purist church.) Yes, it changes the look of old films -- for the better, IMHO, as if they'd been freshly restored. (And no, I didn't think Colorization of B/W was a step forward.)
post #15 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty much any recent mid-range plasma and up has some sort of frame interpolation technique. The hate is justly warranted in my opinion. It really just doesn't look good and is plain awkward during films. However, I suppose you could get used to it if you used the feature enough. I wouldn't mind seeing what HFR content is capable of, a film natively shot at high fps is probably going to be better than the artificial SOE. I can agree with the artificial comment, but I would never use the words too real. It might be closer to actual lifelike movement, but in terms of the medium, it looks completely unnatural.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

He did get his questions answered. There's no reason for the kind of sensitivity you're advocating. It's a pretty known fact that the majority of people don't like the SOE, he's entitled to his own opinion of the technology. No one has made fun of the poster in this thread, not a single person. We would be doing him a disservice if we didn't try and steer him far away from the SOE. smile.gif
post #17 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Soap Opera Effect (SOE) is motion/frame interpolation and most 120Hz or greater tv's do have that feature but call it different names. On LG tv's for example, it's called TruMotion. Every tv mfr has their own way of implementing it and some do a better job than others. You can either turn it off or adjust the settings to taste. There is no right or wrong. Some people hate it, some love it, others can take it or leave it. Totally a personal preference thing. Personally, I would never use it for movies (blu-ray/DVD) but do use it sometimes for OTA television.

To the poster who knows "WAY too much about tv's", seriously dewd, you get mad at someone's personal viewing preference because it doesn't jive with your television "knowledge"? Sheesh rolleyes.gif
post #18 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

To the poster who knows "WAY too much about tv's", seriously dewd, you get mad at someone's personal viewing preference because it doesn't jive with your television "knowledge"? Sheesh rolleyes.gif

I'm almost positive that was a joke, I found it hilarious at least. biggrin.gif
post #19 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

I'm almost positive that was a joke, I found it hilarious at least. biggrin.gif

It's hard to tell at times who's joking or just being arrogant.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I think you will have to search through your settings. On my ST50 is called “Motion Smoother.” I have also seen it called “Motion Plus” in other panels and I think a lot of panels have a setting that deals with motion, judder, or smoothing.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

It's hard to tell at times who's joking or just being arrogant.

Yes, that's very true. That would be a strange rant if he was serious though. eek.gif
post #22 of 26 Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Great. So I guess in newer plasma models this SOE tech is present.
Is is as strong as it in LED TVs or more subtle?

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #23 of 26 Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 608
The first time I saw this was in a store playing the movie Disney's Cars. Thought it was the coolest thing. Then another time I saw it on a real movie and thought it was the most hideous thing ever. I currently have 120hz, 240 tru-motion tv that has this feature an I never turn it on. It is suppose to combat judder. With the LG TV I have you can raise and lower the feature so you can set it to a low level to improve the judder without adding the terrible effect.

I am getting an LG Plasma this week that does have tru-motion as well and can post back how strong the effect is on it. I do believe it also has a manual setting that you can make stronger or less pronounced.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 AM

Liked: 11
My Panasonic GT50 has it. Cinema smooth I think it's called. I can turn it off and on or have it set on weak or strong. It just basically just adds extra frames to a picture to make it look smoother. Especially in camera pans. You really notice it more when playing a 24 frame rate source like Blu-ray. I turn it on every so often. It does look pretty cool. However, being that it introduces something that wasn't there I usually turn it off when watching my movies, because I want the true directors vision of what the movie looked like, not some added effect of my t.v.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Also Cinema Smooth on the D series samsungs they killed the black level it is not really noticeable for some but more so for others a meter will obviously show the performance hit with it on.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked: 38
Hey guys. First post on the forums here! I consider myself somewhat of an expert on this particular subject, as I am in the market for a new TV, and have actually been looking for plasma's that HAVE "dejudder/motion-smoothing/auto-motion-plus/motion interpolation" processing. I'm not the BIGGEST fan of the "Soap Opera Effect", but for some programming (sports, animated movies) I think it's great, and I'd like to at least have the option to use it. My current TV (C8000 series Samsung plasma) has "motion dejudder" processing, and my wife loves it. So, I promised her the new (bigger smile.gif ) TV would have it. No matter what, you can always turn it off.
Anyway, (as far as I have seen) the only PLASMA TV's that have the option are-

*2012 & 2013 Panasonic (3D models only) plasma TVs
*2013 Samsung F8500 series Plasma (first Samsung plasma to have "dejudder" since 2010 models)
*2012 LG Plasma TV's (6500/6700/9700 series)... No word yet on if the 2013 models have "trumotion" or not

Just thought this list might be helpful for anyone who either WANTS this technology,... or wants to stay as far away from it as possible biggrin.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page