60" ST or the 55" VT?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been teetering on this for weeks. Reading review after review, forum after forum.... Help me please.

The VT is clearly the better television, but am I really going to notice? The average person, me... not the videophile that many of you are. I watch action movies on Bluray and play a bit of Xbox.

I don't care about the extra remote with the VT I don't anticipate using the smart features much. Between my Xbox, Onkyo Receiver, and WD TV Live I can stream pretty much whatever I want.

I generally watch TV from about 9 feet away, so I am inclined to get the 60 inch (I can't afford anything bigger considering I want a high quality plasma) but the 55" VT is now CHEAPER.

55" VT for $1495 or a 60" ST for $1664?

Do I pay the extra $170 for the larger but not as nice display?

Thanks in advance. If there are any questions I can answer to help you help me... please ask away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Liked: 36
Are you planning on having it calibrated?

I had the same dilemma. I chose to go for the ST50 (now waiting on the ST60). And you should be able to get a 60ST60 for a much better price than the one you have listed here. Cleveland Plasma has them at pre order pricing for less. That is a good price on the VT50 though. In the end I decided I wanted the WOW factor that comes from having the larger screen more that than I wanted the admittedly tempting idea of having an almost as large but top of the line display that I could normally never afford.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Omni. I was not planning on having it calibrated. The reviews rave about the accurate color right out of the box so I didn't think it was necessary. There was one review I found that listed suggested settings, I'll probably just do that.

Thanks for the heads up on the ST pricing, if I can find it at a better price that will probably make the difference for me. I would prefer to have the larger screen but as you stated, the allure of 'top of the line' sounds pretty good too. wink.gif
post #4 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I firmly believe the large set is always better. That said the VT is the best available HDTV pq wise. I own the ST50 and just had it calibrated and it looks great. My calibrator had previously only calibrated VTs and was duly impressed about how well my ST50 came out post calibration. The VT may be better if you are not getting it calibrated though.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't know you could calibrate ST's. I thought they lacked the color management thing to do it. How much does a calibration run.

I stopped at an electronics store at lunch to look at both TV's in person, up to this point all my research has been online. They both look great, obviously I like the cabinet and finish of the VT better but.....

The salesperson said they just "unlocked the UPP" and could now sell it for whatever they wanted. Their manager asks them to sell at least $20 above cost and the sales rep gets $65 per TV no matter what.

Sooooo I bought the 60" ST50 for $1414 (20 above their cost), they have 3 on order from other stores, 2 for one guy and now one for ME! I pick it up on Friday.

So what about extended warranties? I never buy them but he was going to make me a good deal on that too. $300 (normally $500) for a 5 year extended warranty and if you never have to use it then you get $250 back. I don't really want to spend an extra $300 right now (I still need a new wall mount and 3D glasses) but it sounds pretty good. Thoughts? Any of you have big problems with your TV within 5 years and needed an extended warranty? Oh and I should mention that the warranty pays for a new current model TV should it fail.

Thanks so much.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
In this case I would go with the 60" as that will give a bigger overall impact on viewing. The VT is primarily useful if getting the set pro cal'd because of the calibration settings.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If not investing in a professional calibration, then I'd go with the VT, because you'll not only have better out of the box picture, but also because you'll have more options in selecting which image looks best in more environments, and it has more tools for fine tuning. If tools aren't an issue for the ST50 then why did they add them to the ST60? Also, the dual core processor will come in handy in the future.

BTW. my fav for the money is the 60GT50.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wood View Post

I didn't know you could calibrate ST's. I thought they lacked the color management thing to do it. How much does a calibration run.

Yes you can calibrate the ST50. I had mine professionally calibrated by a recommended calibrator in the DC, VA area. Like I said, my calibrator had previously calibrated several VT models. During my calibration he mentioned that the VT had more calibration tools as he could access color management settings that are not accessible on my ST. But he was able to bring my RGB in line by calibrating the white Balance. Afterwards he was very impressed with how accurate the color became by adjusting white balance. Professional calibration runs between $250-$400 in my area. My calibration ran $250. He was very thorough and patient as I had a lot of questions. Total calibration time, including set-up and break down, was 3.5 hours. For me, it was worth it.

Extended warranties are for personal piece of mind so it is up to your comfort level.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading from my ST50" Panasonic Plasma to something bigger but not sure if 60" will be to big. A jump up to 55" probably wouldn't make much of a difference but i don't want to find out that the 60" will be to large. By the way i'm about 8.8 feet away from my TV.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I'm thinking of upgrading from my ST50" Panasonic Plasma to something bigger but not sure if 60" will be to big. A jump up to 55" probably wouldn't make much of a difference but i don't want to find out that the 60" will be to large. By the way i'm about 8.8 feet away from my TV.

I sit about 8ft from my 60GT50 and it's not too big. Actually, I believe it has shrunk. Just before I woke up this morning, I was dreaming that I was considering a 70". lol

post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Actually, I believe it has shrunk.

Do you keep it cold in your house? You know how the cold can effect the size of things.. Lol
post #12 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wood View Post

So what about extended warranties? I never buy them but he was going to make me a good deal on that too. $300 (normally $500) for a 5 year extended warranty and if you never have to use it then you get $250 back. I don't really want to spend an extra $300 right now (I still need a new wall mount and 3D glasses) but it sounds pretty good. Thoughts? Any of you have big problems with your TV within 5 years and needed an extended warranty? Oh and I should mention that the warranty pays for a new current model TV should it fail.

You could purchase the 3 year Squaretrade service plan for Costco for $99. Panasonic will cover year 1, and then this plan would cover years 2-4. If you purchased your TV with something like AmEx, it would cover year 5.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

I currently have a 60" ST50 and I sit 10 feet from the screen. This works for me, but many sit closer. I was originally at 8 feet and that felt to close. Now that I am use to the size I may move seating position forward to 9 feet.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page