Movie streaming on web browser for Panasonic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello plasma lovers biggrin.gif

I tried auditioning tvs in best buy but unfortunately their network isn't great and no one else could answer my question. mad.gif

Does the web browser on vt60, st50 or the newer vt60, st60 have the capability to stream movies from sites like couchtuner, random online movie streaming sites like rapidshare, icefilms? wink.gifrolleyes.gif

This is important for me since I do not want to connect my laptop to the tv to watch these sites. I believe these sites are flash player based.

Can I share video playing on my laptop wirelessly to the tv (I think Samsung all share does that?).

I am inclined towards buying Panasonic.

Junkyard:
Yamaha RX V673
HSU VTF3-MK4
KEF Q300, Q100, Q600
Panasonic 60ST60
Sony VAIO - XBMC
XBOX 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am unsure if the internet browser can stream the content, but I'm guessing it cannot. The TV does have built-in apps to stream content from Hulu, Netflix, and some other big-name streaming sites.

You could try using Servio and stream over DLNA. I do know that servio can stream some webcontent, but I've never tried that feature. I often stream movies from my computer to my TV using servio. The only time I've had issues with it was when I tried streaming AVI movies.
Aldous01 likes this.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
post #3 of 14 Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Whats the point of calling a TV smart when it can't stream online videos. Being equipped with dual core processors and still being handicapped - not worth spending so much money on such TV's.

Are there any non smart TV's (Plasma) with picture quality like vt50, st50?

Junkyard:
Yamaha RX V673
HSU VTF3-MK4
KEF Q300, Q100, Q600
Panasonic 60ST60
Sony VAIO - XBMC
XBOX 360
post #4 of 14 Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek33 View Post

Hello plasma lovers biggrin.gif

I tried auditioning tvs in best buy but unfortunately their network isn't great and no one else could answer my question. mad.gif

Does the web browser on vt60, st50 or the newer vt60, st60 have the capability to stream movies from sites like couchtuner, random online movie streaming sites like rapidshare, icefilms? wink.gifrolleyes.gif

This is important for me since I do not want to connect my laptop to the tv to watch these sites. I believe these sites are flash player based.

Can I share video playing on my laptop wirelessly to the tv (I think Samsung all share does that?).

I am inclined towards buying Panasonic.

Why would you buy a tv for something like that, invest in a Roku box or HTPC. Plasma's are not streaming devices despite what all the add on features say. The web browser is very basic no flash etc. It is not a computer it is a tv

Look at the U50 or S60

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5 of 14 Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Why would you buy a tv for something like that, invest in a Roku box or HTPC. Plasma's are not streaming devices despite what all the add on features say. The web browser is very basic no flash etc. It is not a computer it is a tv

Look at the U50 or S60

I can invest in HTPC/Google TV. biggrin.gif Is S60 worth it? Shouldn't I get the ST60 instead which has better quality and 3D additionally?? rolleyes.gif

Are there any Samsung plasma which can be compared or bought over the Panasonics?

Junkyard:
Yamaha RX V673
HSU VTF3-MK4
KEF Q300, Q100, Q600
Panasonic 60ST60
Sony VAIO - XBMC
XBOX 360
post #6 of 14 Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions?

Junkyard:
Yamaha RX V673
HSU VTF3-MK4
KEF Q300, Q100, Q600
Panasonic 60ST60
Sony VAIO - XBMC
XBOX 360
post #7 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:

I can invest in HTPC/Google TV. biggrin.gif Is S60 worth it? Shouldn't I get the ST60 instead which has better quality and 3D additionally?? rolleyes.gif

Are there any Samsung plasma which can be compared or bought over the Panasonics?

You asked for a dumb tv recommendation yes if you want 3d get the ST60 Samsung reduced their Plasma line up quite a bit this year

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

Whats the point of calling a TV smart when it can't stream online videos. Being equipped with dual core processors and still being handicapped - not worth spending so much money on such TV's.

Marketing. It's hard to buy a mid to high end tv that isn't "smart", which is a dumb idea imo. You don't have to use the features if you don't want to. A lot of folks see internet capable tv's and think they can browse or have the flexibility of a computer-based browser. You are limited to what the mfr has in the way of applications that can access the internet, and they are usually not as robust as computer or STB-based applications. If you want to cruise the internet and use any application on your tv then you'll need to connect your laptop to your tv, either by cable or wirelessly. If not, then use a more robust STB like an AppleTV, Roku, etc. The dual core processors is mostly for the 3D capabilities and not for internet use.
sheshechic likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

So I read this thread on the forum where it says that panny plasma suffer a lot of IR. I don't think I can always baby sit my tv. The thread says the problem is bad with st50. Please advice. I fear that st60 would suffer the same fate.

Junkyard:
Yamaha RX V673
HSU VTF3-MK4
KEF Q300, Q100, Q600
Panasonic 60ST60
Sony VAIO - XBMC
XBOX 360
post #10 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I think you need to stop reading the forums so much....Forums like these are built off of people looking for help becasue they are having issues with thier TV, not becasue there is nothing wrong with it....Thats why you see so many problem threads... Forums like this are a subset of a subset and just a very small portion of actual owners......There have been plenty of owners that havent had issues with the ST50, just ike Samsung seems to have a "buzzing" issue there are plenty of owners who dont ahve buzz. The people with the problems will ALWAYS be more vocal and usauly drown out any of thsoee not having issues....Take any issue with a grain of salt....As long as you dont keep your TV on VIVID with all settings at max and static images all the time you "should" be OK. Could there be problems, sure, but thats the case with ANY TV.......
rushfan2112 and prateek33 like this.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked: 35
I read that watching a samsung will make the skin on your face peel off, or something to that effect.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post

I read that watching a samsung will make the skin on your face peel off, or something to that effect.

lol. Seems like I found a samsung hater.

Junkyard:
Yamaha RX V673
HSU VTF3-MK4
KEF Q300, Q100, Q600
Panasonic 60ST60
Sony VAIO - XBMC
XBOX 360
post #13 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Saw this old thread and thought to add a comment. I've had my 60ST60 for about 5 months and like the picture quality. (I don't love the IR...and there is IR that may take months if ever to completely go away, so I agree about the babysitting concern.)

The browser issue is another matter.

I wonder if many people have the same problems that I have with the browser apps quitting regularly? I'm talking about apps installed by Panasonic and advertised prominently in all the literature as well as on the shipping carton. Mine is useless. I have yet to have a stable browser connection for anything other than Netflx. So, sure I can use my Xbox or some other device, but isn't that cause for consumer concern? What is the consensus on the browser function actually being usable as advertised (and paid for)?

Seems to me if enough people have this issue and it's known by Panasonic that the browser is effectively a dud...a class action should be initiated. I don't have data on other "Smart TVs" but knowing whether they are all just hype would be helpful? Can anyone contribute as to which apps work for them?

I should add that the TV is connected via Ethernet on FIOS 35/35, and all other devices work fine on that router.
Aldous01 likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I guess no one is displeased with having paid for a smart TV that's actually dumb?

I know the picture is great, but part of the price paid was for a TV where ALL the advertised features work. I'm guess I'm going to hit other forums and begin petitioning for a class action suit against Panasonic. It was bad enough that the inconsistency of IR caught some people by surprise, but I have yet to have any of the installed apps that are browser-based last for more than 90 seconds (other than Netflix). At least 10% of the price of this TV was for "SMART" features that don't work. Big problem with complacent consumers is that we take what mfg. gives us and make do. I say hold them accountable.

They'll get away with the lag, and they put out a disclaimer on IR up front, 'cause they knew it would happen...but they've sold crap as far as SMART features go.
Aldous01 likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page