GT50 - Poor 3d qualitty and 'noise' on some of the HDMI inputs. Please help - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Blacks are degraded in 3D, I thought I made it a point to mention that. I'm not sure if it's related to the GT50 or if it spans the Panasonic line up, but they definitely are. Personally, they look fine to me just so long as the screen doesn't fade completely to black or show a large portion of black at one time. Blacks still appear quite good by contrast in most scenes, but you know that black levels are taking a hit if you turn the 3D on while viewing a black screen. It goes from black into a dithering gray mess, and while glasses hide it fairly well, they can only do so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regarding the debate about setting black level, I think what the other posters are saying is that just because you've set Brightness at its highest value such that there is no pixel activation going on at 0% stimulus, doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't clipping shadow detail. Because, in some cases, the very darkest shades (17-18-19 on the AVSHD709 brightness pattern) can still be difficult or impossible to see. That is to say, sometimes you have to actually sacrifice a bit of black level (i.e set it a bit higher than optimal) to get those bottom few shades clearly visible. But it depends entirely on the TV in question. The last Panasonic I calibrated could in fact be set accurately using just a 0% field and lowering Brightness until all pixel activation is gone, but it's not necessarily the case on all displays. On the Samsungs it's definitely not the case.
post #63 of 65 Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by assm0de View Post

Regarding the debate about setting black level, I think what the other posters are saying is that just because you've set Brightness at its highest value such that there is no pixel activation going on at 0% stimulus, doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't clipping shadow detail. Because, in some cases, the very darkest shades (17-18-19 on the AVSHD709 brightness pattern) can still be difficult or impossible to see. That is to say, sometimes you have to actually sacrifice a bit of black level (i.e set it a bit higher than optimal) to get those bottom few shades clearly visible. But it depends entirely on the TV in question. The last Panasonic I calibrated could in fact be set accurately using just a 0% field and lowering Brightness until all pixel activation is gone, but it's not necessarily the case on all displays. On the Samsungs it's definitely not the case.

Interesting points about the Samsung. Now I can only speak for my GT50 of course, But the custom mode lined up perfectly for me. By that conclusion it was reasonable to assume that the intended target of the AVS 709 disc was in fact to allow your screen to display full black with no distortion, nothing more and nothing less.

Edit: I tested all the modes out of curiosity, at least the ones that are fairly accurate. THX Cinema, Cinema, and THX:BR. They actually were all too bright, which I found very interesting. So much for crushing blacks, it was washing them out. I wonder why it would need to be darker than what's required to display a black screen however. That I don't quite get. Very interesting indeed.
post #64 of 65 Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Ok thanks. Looks like the poor blacks are a side effect of the 3D. Although you are correct JSpectre, that you don't really notice it unless it is an overall pretty dark scene. I was just surprised with how bad they were in 3D when they put so much effort into it for 2D.

I'll contact Panasonic about the noise on HDMI 3 and see if they have any ideas on what might be going on.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s

post #65 of 65 Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Liked: 10
Im having blury 3d issues with my panasonic GT50, with the correct blue tooth panasonic glasses. The 2d looks great, i love the tv besides the IR issues im getting with cable stations in the corner.....Anyways When i play a 3d movie the picture is slightly out of focus, which is giving me an instand headache. Before i bought this i had a samsung led 7100, where the 3d was great and didnt hurt my eyes, i got ride of it because it just wasnt holding up to my old pioneer plasma. Anyways i love the plasma but the 3d is a bit blury, is that considered cross talk? Now before i took back the samsung i used there cheap 3d glasses that came with the tv and i still had the issue. Hense why i was like oh i need to buy the 80 dollar panasonic glass but im still getting the same issue.

So I guess the real question is, is there something in the tv setting that i need to change? I dont know think its the player because it was fine on the samsung tv. I have a sony bdp-s780, then i got the sony 790 last night and still have the issue. Is there any setting i need to tweak so is something wrong with my tv? Is there web page that has 3d setting i can try?

thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page