GT50 - Poor 3d qualitty and 'noise' on some of the HDMI inputs. Please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've had my 55" GT50 for about 2 months now. Since day one I've noticed a couple issues. I ran the slides for 100+ hours the first week I got the TV and am using the settings found on the same site as the slides.

- The 3D looks awful. The colors all have a green/blue tint to them even with the glasses on and the contrast is abysmal. I understand making the picture brighter to offset the tint from the glasses, but the blacks end up looking way worse than my 5 year old LCD. The Samsung plasma I had before this didn't have this issue and I don't believe my parents VT50 has it either. Is this a common issue with the GT50? I don't see how anyone could watch 3D on this TV with it looking so bad.

- 2 out of the 4 HDMI inputs have a slight static / noise to them. HDMI 1 and 3 look fine. If I switch to that input with no video, then the screen is perfectly black. Input 2 and 4 has this noise which is red / green / blue that is all over the screen. This occurs with or without an HDMI cable plugged in and doesn't change by switching out cables. It isn't too noticeable when watching something unless it is a dark scene. Is this also a common issue with these TVs?

If these aren't normal, then would Panasonic repair / replace this under warranty or would they say it isn't enough to warrant that?

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post

I've had my 55" GT50 for about 2 months now. Since day one I've noticed a couple issues. I ran the slides for 100+ hours the first week I got the TV and am using the settings found on the same site as the slides.

- The 3D looks awful. The colors all have a green/blue tint to them even with the glasses on and the contrast is abysmal. I understand making the picture brighter to offset the tint from the glasses, but the blacks end up looking way worse than my 5 year old LCD. The Samsung plasma I had before this didn't have this issue and I don't believe my parents VT50 has it either. Is this a common issue with the GT50? I don't see how anyone could watch 3D on this TV with it looking so bad.

- 2 out of the 4 HDMI inputs have a slight static / noise to them. HDMI 1 and 3 look fine. If I switch to that input with no video, then the screen is perfectly black. Input 2 and 4 has this noise which is red / green / blue that is all over the screen. This occurs with or without an HDMI cable plugged in and doesn't change by switching out cables. It isn't too noticeable when watching something unless it is a dark scene. Is this also a common issue with these TVs?

If these aren't normal, then would Panasonic repair / replace this under warranty or would they say it isn't enough to warrant that?

That doesnt sound normal at all I would get Panasonic out there, what is hooked up to HDMI 2 and 4. Sounds like your 3d settings are out of whack are you using DNice's settings there too ?

What are your setting for 2d and 3d ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 65 Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

That doesnt sound normal at all I would get Panasonic out there, what is hooked up to HDMI 2 and 4. Sounds like your 3d settings are out of whack are you using DNice's settings there too ?

What are your setting for 2d and 3d ?

Just checked again and it looks like I was incorrect. Inputs 1,2, and 4 are all fine and 3 is the messed up one. Although I could have sworn that there were 2 messed up. Currently I have nothing plugged into it since it has this issue, but I'm worried about any future addition. I tried plugging something into it to see if it would change and it didn't
I included pictures below.

Inputs 1, 2, and 4 all look like this.

Here is input 3

I'm using his settings for 2d, but there were no 3d settings, so I just used the same ones from 2d. It looks like he now has 3d settings up for the VT50 so I may try those, but I doubt it will do much. The color temp is on warm2 yet it is still very very blue. Here are 2d vs 3d comparison shots. The camera makes the images a little brighter, but it is pretty accurate. You can see it mostly in the darker scenes how the colors have a very prominent blue tint and the blacks become washed out. I doubt I'll have to tell you which one is 2d and what's 3d, but I'll label them anyways.

2d Bright scene

3d bright scene

2d dark scene

3d dark scene

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
post #4 of 65 Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have the 60 inch and its pure awesome..................i bought mine last year. I have heard that with many tv the earlier manufacture dates tend to be better than the later ones. Case in point the sharp elite and the sony hx850, both of which had defects on the later production dates. I am assuming its because they are planning to release the new model, so less focus is spent on quality control.........so whenever they make a new model i always try to get it early in production. Just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

So this isn't common?
Others on this board must own the GT50 and can confirm if the 3d image looks correct or not.

post #6 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have not encountered any problems with my GT50. Something is wrong, get in touch with Panasonic.
post #7 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So this isn't common?
Others on this board must own the GT50 and can confirm if the 3d image looks correct or not.

You can't use 2d settings for 3d completely different settings, the glasses change the color and the greyscale, contrast and brightness will be completely different. That noise does not look normal to me, what is your source. Have you tried swapping out hdmi cables ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #8 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can't use 2d settings for 3d completely different settings, the glasses change the color and the greyscale, contrast and brightness will be completely different. That noise does not look normal to me, what is your source. Have you tried swapping out hdmi cables ?

The main issue I have with the 3d quality is the black levels as I can't seem to make them anywhere near the 2d levels. Like I said in my first post, the 3D black levels are on par with my 6 year old LCD. The blue tint just makes things worse. I'd expect the 3d quality through the glasses to look somewhat like the 2d quality without the glasses like all the other 3D tvs I've seen. But that just isn't the case. I'll try out D-Nice's VT50 3d settings this weekend to see if that helps.

At the time of the picture I had nothing plugged into it. It doesn't matter if I plug something in or use different cables though, that noise is always there. So that makes me believe it is the TV itself.

post #9 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The main issue I have with the 3d quality is the black levels as I can't seem to make them anywhere near the 2d levels. Like I said in my first post, the 3D black levels are on par with my 6 year old LCD. The blue tint just makes things worse. I'd expect the 3d quality through the glasses to look somewhat like the 2d quality without the glasses like all the other 3D tvs I've seen. But that just isn't the case. I'll try out D-Nice's VT50 3d settings this weekend to see if that helps.

At the time of the picture I had nothing plugged into it. It doesn't matter if I plug something in or use different cables though, that noise is always there. So that makes me believe it is the TV itself.

The Gt50 is capable of producing an outstanding 3d picture so I suspect your settings. Have you tried THX 3d mode ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #10 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Now that it is dark I tried some different settings. I don't seem to have a 3D THX setting, but Cinema seemed to produce the best picture out of the default ones. I also tried DNice's 3D settings that are for the VT50, but I dont have all the nice adjustments like the VT50, so there was very little to tweak. In the end it looked almost identical to Cinema.
So results... The blue's came down quite a bit, although it still has a blue tint but with the glasses on the colors are pretty close to 2d. Blacks are still bad though, especially compared to 2d. It the poor black level common for 3d on these TVs?

I took some pictures to show the differences between 2d, 3d without glasses and 3d with glasses. I was surprised out how accurate the 3d with glasses one turned out through the camera. The 2d looks incredible, but the 3d looks so washed out that the little benefit 3d provides is completely offset by the picture produced when using 3d.

2D

3D without glasses

3D with glasses

post #11 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Can you post the settings for the hdmi that has the noise please? And you say that the noise is also apparent when you have something hooked up to that hdmi too? What modes were you using when you took the pictures? What are you using to play the movie?

post #12 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Blacks aren't going to look as great as 2D, but they should still look pretty close. My blacks don't look like your 3D photo and I even use Vivid 3D settings. Your last picture almost looks even brighter than the one before it, so that can't possibly be accurate. Also, you should definitely have 3D THX Cinema, not sure what's up with that.
sheshechic likes this.
post #13 of 65 Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Blacks aren't going to look as great as 2D, but they should still look pretty close. My blacks don't look like your 3D photo and I even use Vivid 3D settings. Your last picture almost looks even brighter than the one before it, so that can't possibly be accurate. Also, you should definitely have 3D THX Cinema, not sure what's up with that.

That's why I asked what he's using to play the 3D. Sumpin' ain't right.

post #14 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

You're right. That last picture does look a bit brighter. The camera must have automatically adjusted the exposure. Although the blacks are still pretty bad. I dont see why the TV has to make them that bad in the first place. I understand bringing up the brightness a bit to offset the tint from the glasses, but not by this much.

Figured out why I didn't have the 3D THX settings. They aren't available through DLNA and that is how I watch most of my movies. I popped in a blu-ray and that has the 3D THX settings. Can't tell really how it looks though as there is a lot of ambient light coming in since it's really sunny out. So this might solve the 3D issues. Not too sure what is going on with the noisy input though. I checked the cables again and now I remember that HDMI 1 for sure used to be noisy, as well as HDMI 3. I wanted to use the ARC feature since my receiver supports it, but that input looked really bad with the noise so I used HDMI 2. Now for some reason it looks fine and it is only HDMI 3 that has the noise.

I use DNice's settings for 3d and 2d except I have motion smoother on the lowest setting. I use the same settings on every input including the 'noisy' one

post #15 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right. That last picture does look a bit brighter. The camera must have automatically adjusted the exposure. Although the blacks are still pretty bad. I dont see why the TV has to make them that bad in the first place. I understand bringing up the brightness a bit to offset the tint from the glasses, but not by this much.

Figured out why I didn't have the 3D THX settings. They aren't available through DLNA and that is how I watch most of my movies. I popped in a blu-ray and that has the 3D THX settings. Can't tell really how it looks though as there is a lot of ambient light coming in since it's really sunny out. So this might solve the 3D issues. Not too sure what is going on with the noisy input though. I checked the cables again and now I remember that HDMI 1 for sure used to be noisy, as well as HDMI 3. I wanted to use the ARC feature since my receiver supports it, but that input looked really bad with the noise so I used HDMI 2. Now for some reason it looks fine and it is only HDMI 3 that has the noise.

I use DNice's settings for 3d and 2d except I have motion smoother on the lowest setting. I use the same settings on every input including the 'noisy' one

Thanks for posting your settings but since they are D-Nice's and he's asked that they not be posted, would you mind removing them? TIA

Hdmi 2 on the GT is arc, the rest are not. As for your streamed 3D... streaming is never as good. Most likely the noise you saw was related to not having anything attached, or is there noise when you attach an hd source to hdmi 3 and how far away do you have to be to see it?

post #16 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

The noise is always there. Doesn't matter what is plugged in (if anything) and different cables don't change it. From a distance, I can't see the individual dots, it more so looks like a haze and is really only noticeable in dark scenes. I feel like if the 3D concerns are common, then this noise alone isn't enough to have Panasonic check it out.

post #17 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

That brightness is too high for Custom, it needs to be around 48. You're right though, even with the glasses the blacks are a bit brighter on 3D.
post #18 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The noise is always there. Doesn't matter what is plugged in (if anything) and different cables don't change it. From a distance, I can't see the individual dots, it more so looks like a haze and is really only noticeable in dark scenes. I feel like if the 3D concerns are common, then this noise alone isn't enough to have Panasonic check it out.

Can you see it with 1080 content too? It's more common with non HD sources. Try turning down brightness one click at a time checking to see if there's a change. Some people like brightness below 50 but if it's too low then you've got crushed blacks. Shadow detail is more important to me and IMO the GT can handle brightness slightly above 50 with 1080 sources just fine. SD is the worst offender, I hate that crap in my blacks/dark areas, but I've got Charter and some of our channels aren't even digital yet, let alone hd.

post #19 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Can you see it with 1080 content too? It's more common with non HD sources. Try turning down brightness one click at a time checking to see if there's a change. Some people like brightness below 50 but if it's too low then you've got crushed blacks. Shadow detail is more important to me and IMO the GT can handle brightness slightly above 50 with 1080 sources just fine. SD is the worst offender, I hate that crap in my blacks/dark areas, but I've got Charter and some of our channels aren't even digital yet, let alone hd.

IIRC, you need to have brightness below 50 to get a full black screen with no noise.
post #20 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That is of course if you're okay crushing blacks
sheshechic likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #21 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A black screen looking black = crushing blacks? confused.gif
post #22 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

IIRC, you need to have brightness below 50 to get a full black screen with no noise.

You didn't really pay attention to what I said.

post #23 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

A black screen looking black = crushing blacks? confused.gif

be careful, you're showing a tad bit of ignorance and I tend to think you're not that dumb. wink.gif

post #24 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You didn't really pay attention to what I said.

I was still talking about 3D. I suppose you weren't.
post #25 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

be careful, you're showing a tad bit of ignorance and I tend to think you're not that dumb. wink.gif

Except that's what any calibrated settings give you, a full black screen w/ no noise. rolleyes.gif

Tell me I'm wrong?...
post #26 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Except that's what any calibrated settings give you, a full black screen w/ no noise. rolleyes.gif

Tell me I'm wrong?...

If you're crushing blacks then your set is not properly calibrated.
You say you understand abl, if this is true then understanding the implication of crushed blacks shouldn't be too hard. What is the point of shades of grey if you're going to shut them all down and create a blob of black?

BTW: this is why you'll often see that I've written that shadow detail is very important to me.

post #27 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You say you understand abl, if this is true then understanding the implication of crushed blacks shouldn't be too hard. What is the point of shades of grey if you're going to shut them all down and create a blob of black?

I'm talking about when displaying a full black screen. (Using a 0/0/0 colored slide, etc.)

What did you think I was talking about? lol
post #28 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm talking about when displaying a full black screen. (Using a 0/0/0 colored slide, etc.)

What did you think I was talking about? lol

What are you using a full black slide for?

post #29 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a point of reference. His 3D brightness was too high.

That's all. wink.gif
post #30 of 65 Old 03-23-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Just a point of reference. His 3D brightness was too high.

That's all. wink.gif

That's what I was asking, reference for what?

I think I understand that you're saying that no dithering with a pure black slide but that has nothing to do with determining if you're crushing blacks. Not crushing blacks is important, more important.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page