Panasonic TC-P50GT50 $1200 @ Best Buy (Good buy?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a new hdtv and 1200 is my limit. I've heard nothing but good things about Panasonic Plasmas and this one seems to be very well reviewed. Also at 1200$ it is the same price as the ST model with more features (THX). Basically just wondering if you guys think this is the best choice for my budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes, that's a good price for a great tv. I'm thinking about buying another smaller one myself.

post #3 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom66 View Post

Looking for a new hdtv and 1200 is my limit. I've heard nothing but good things about Panasonic Plasmas and this one seems to be very well reviewed. Also at 1200$ it is the same price as the ST model with more features (THX). Basically just wondering if you guys think this is the best choice for my budget.

Is the GT50's THX mode important to you? Most of the GT50 and VT50 owners actually use Custom mode where they can then get access to the extended Pro Settings mode that enables much more fine tuning of the picture. I used the THX Bright Room mode a lot at first, but quickly gravitated to the more advanced Custom picture mode and i like it a lot better so it turned out that i didn't really need the THX modes after all.

And a big complaint among GT50/ST50/VT50 owners was it's poor processing and relative soft image on 720p content and signals and even a little with 1080i content - it's my only real big complaint about my GT50 and it bothers me every minute that i watch it, even after 8 months of owning it. My older G10 is WAY more crisp and detailed than my GT50 - huge difference. This is something to seriously think about when considering a 2012 model. I really hope they've improved this problem on the 2013 models because it has put a bit of a damper on my enjoyment of my GT50.

About that $1200 price, i've seen it for much lower at Amazon but there probably aren't many left if at all. I paid $1,299 for my 50GT50 at Magnolia back in June. But the MSRP (list price) on the new 50" ST60 is only $1,149 which is $50 less than what BB is selling that 50GT50 for, and with discounts and price drops that usually appear soon after release it will be even lower.

Another thing to consider that If you can do without the THX modes, the new ST60 has more picture adjustments than the GT50 and more features and i think the ST60 will be a better TV. AVJ said the ST60 will have a slight picture quality improvement via a slightly revised filter and improved firmware.

If my GT50 were to go bad and i were given the choice to either have Panasonic replace it with a GT50 or ST60, i'd opt for the ST60.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

If my GT50 were to go bad and i were given the choice to either have Panasonic replace it with a GT50 or ST60, i'd opt for the ST60.

I've been thinking about what to do if my little G25 dies what would I replace it with. I love my GT50 so much that it's still a consideration but deciding between the ST60 and VT60 is a little difficult. I think I'd buy the S60 before the ST60 (at this point anyway) and install blackout roman shades.

post #5 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
No way. Look into the ST60. smile.gif
post #6 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

If I'm going to pay the ST60 price I might as well buy a better tv and go with the VT60. The S60 produces an excellent image and is worth the price asked, plus it comes in a smaller size. At least that is my current position, which is never having seen any of them in person and no professional reviews available.

post #7 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Other than the lack of a filter, what do you see in the S60 that look inferior to the ST60?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jomg_ZO6EvE

post #8 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Other than the lack of a filter, what do you see in the S60 that look inferior to the ST60?

If he doesn't need 3D or the AR filter, then probably nothing. cool.gif

However, getting an ST60 at a cheaper price than a GT50 is a no-brainer.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Quote:

If he doesn't need 3D or the AR filter, then probably nothing. cool.gif

However, getting an ST60 at a cheaper price than a GT50 is a no-brainer.

I was speaking to my own situation and conditions-replacing a G25. I have the 60GT50 for all of that. If I had to replace it, I'd go VT60 or ZT60, or maybe even F8500, but not ST60.

IMO, the term "no-brainer" is insulting, meant to be insulting and only goes to show that the person using the term has a closed mind (not considering the needs of others). I hate the term. wink.gif

post #10 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was speaking to my own situation and conditions-replacing a G25. I have the 60GT50 for all of that. If I had to replace it, I'd go VT60 or ZT60, or maybe even F8500, but not ST60.

That's fine, I don't see how it's very relevant though.
post #11 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

That's fine, I don't see how it's very relevant though.

I was commenting on something Randy wrote, not speaking directly to the OP, I already did that earlier. wink.gif

post #12 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was commenting on something Randy wrote, not speaking directly to the OP, I already did that earlier. wink.gif

So you were, I assumed it was somehow relevant to the OP, not a hypothetical scenario. However, I still don't see why you would tell the OP that $1200 was a good price, it's not. I believe Randy was merely stating that the ST60 is superior to the GT50 at a similar price point, which I would have to agree. I don't think there's really anything left to say on the subject, let's leave it at that.
Quote:

IMO, the term "no-brainer" is insulting, meant to be insulting and only goes to show that the person using the term has a closed mind (not considering the needs of others). I hate the term. wink.gif

It's certainly not insulting, it implies that the decision is so simple it requires no thought.
post #13 of 43 Old 03-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 12
While your enthusiasm for the ST60 makes me feel better about missing out on the GT50 deals; what is to be made of the ST60 having half the shades of gradation of the GT50? Is that an inconsequential element?
post #14 of 43 Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post

While your enthusiasm for the ST60 makes me feel better about missing out on the GT50 deals; what is to be made of the ST60 having half the shades of gradation of the GT50? Is that an inconsequential element?

Absolutely. That feature only applies to one of the ugliest modes on the GT50, Cinema.

Not to mention that all the pros agree it really made no meaningful difference anyway.
post #15 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post

It is indeed inconsequential according to D-Nice - last year he stated there was no discernible advantage to the double shades of gradation on his example TVs. If he can't see an improvement, then nobody can. Consider it a non-issue.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #16 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's certainly not insulting, it implies that the decision is so simple it requires no thought.

Which also means that further thought and discussion is pointless. It is meant to shutdown conversation. Furthermore, often it is said by people who fail to fully think it through themselves, and/or dismiss the needs/considerations of another. Even when considering televisions and the money that they cost, rarely is the statement considerate of the person it's being said to, even when a qualifier is added. Too much is objective in the purchase and enjoyment of a television. IMO, the comment, "no brainer," often only means that the person saying it is thoughtless, inconsiderate. Now, if you say it was a no brainer for you, that may be true, but it means relatively little to anyone but those people who know you as well as you know yourself. One's intention does little to change the fact that the phrase implies that someone isn't as capable, in the case of TVs, they're not fully capable of fulling thinking the case through.

I know you'll disagree. I know you'll desperately search for an argument but it's pointless. Your point has been made and so has mine. wink.gif

post #17 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM

Funny - I was just doing some research and came across this thread. I am in the exact situation described here. I have owned a 54" G25 since 2011. Have been very happy with it. Yesterday, a 3 year old neighbor was over at our house, threw something and cracked the screen. I'm assuming the glass is not feasible to replace, so I'm in the market for a new TV now.

I would really love to get another plasma but it seems we're in the in-between phase right now - of last year's models being phased out and the new ones just about to come in. I've read all the reviews of the ST50 and they are almost excellent across the board. I was wondering if this TV will have a noticeably better picture quality than my G25 had? The only reasonable prices ST50s right now are way overpriced and hard to find - so I'm thinking of getting a "like new" one from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

I can't afford the ST60 right now and don't want to wait another month anyway.

Is the ST50 going to have better PQ than a middle of the line Samsung LED? (was considering this one http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55EH6000-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0074FGSBY)

Otherwise, what would be my best replacement choice in the ~$1000-$1200 range? I care most about picture quality - don't care about 3D, other features, etc.

Thanks

~H
post #18 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post

Is the ST50 going to have better PQ than a middle of the line Samsung LED? (was considering this one http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55EH6000-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0074FGSBY)

Otherwise, what would be my best replacement choice in the ~$1000-$1200 range? I care most about picture quality - don't care about 3D, other features, etc.

The ST50 will be a much better display than a mid-tier (or even high end) Samsung LED.

I would strongly recommend you get a plasma. The ST60 was just released and appears to have slightly better black levels and a slightly more attractive bezel/design. Prices dipped year over year, so a 55" ST60 should be near $1,300. I would look at 60" Samsung E7000 as well.
post #19 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny - I was just doing some research and came across this thread. I am in the exact situation described here. I have owned a 54" G25 since 2011. Have been very happy with it. Yesterday, a 3 year old neighbor was over at our house, threw something and cracked the screen. I'm assuming the glass is not feasible to replace, so I'm in the market for a new TV now.

I would really love to get another plasma but it seems we're in the in-between phase right now - of last year's models being phased out and the new ones just about to come in. I've read all the reviews of the ST50 and they are almost excellent across the board. I was wondering if this TV will have a noticeably better picture quality than my G25 had? The only reasonable prices ST50s right now are way overpriced and hard to find - so I'm thinking of getting a "like new" one from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Thanks

~H

I have the 60GT50 and the 42G25. I don't know how much size is a factor but the GT50 is a considerably better tv in all aspects including the THX modes. If picture quality is an issue I don't think you'll be happy with an LED (clouding, flashlighting, light bleed) and I think you'll adore the GT50. I'm considering buying another plasma as a backup to my G25 just in case my grandbabies kill it. They're just now getting to that age of wanting to throw and putting height and power behind it too (scary!). I have not ruled out the ST50 and will wait until all the reviews are in. The recent review of the F8500 resulted in it falling from my short list. BTW, I too considered LED, but I just don't think that they're to that place where I can feel good about buying one instead of a plasma. I just came into plasma with the G25 and I watch an older LG LCD daily in my home office.

post #20 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which also means that further thought and discussion is pointless. It is meant to shutdown conversation. Furthermore, often it is said by people who fail to fully think it through themselves, and/or dismiss the needs/considerations of another. Even when considering televisions and the money that they cost, rarely is the statement considerate of the person it's being said to, even when a qualifier is added. Too much is objective in the purchase and enjoyment of a television. IMO, the comment, "no brainer," often only means that the person saying it is thoughtless, inconsiderate. Now, if you say it was a no brainer for you, that may be true, but it means relatively little to anyone but those people who know you as well as you know yourself. One's intention does little to change the fact that the phrase implies that someone isn't as capable, in the case of TVs, they're not fully capable of fulling thinking the case through.

I know you'll disagree. I know you'll desperately search for an argument but it's pointless. Your point has been made and so has mine. wink.gif

It is and that's as far as I have read. wink.gif
post #21 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

~H

If you don't care about 3D then you should absolutely get an S60. Another no brainer. biggrin.gif

Edit: Only if you can control lighting, that is. It's very reflective.
post #22 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 11
Best Buy has the 50ST60 for $999 on their web site....check that out...rather a good deal if you want 50
sheshechic likes this.
post #23 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiholl5333 View Post

Best Buy has the 50ST60 for $999 on their web site....check that out...rather a good deal if you want 50

That's what I paid for my GT50... eek.gif

Including tax at least, but still.
post #24 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM

I am new to the forum and delighted to share my experience.

Yeah, i agree the price of the ST60 was lower than what i paid for on the 50GT50 but it wasn't in stock when i purchased the GT50 2 weeks ago. No biggie...... I was coming from a 55VT50 which was fantastic too, but the VT50 had issues with the fans humming like crazy after a couple of hours of watching TV. I did sacrifice 5 inches (no more 55GT50 anywhere) but the picture quality on GT50 is still pretty good. The VT 50 had obviously better blacks.
I purchased this TV for 1050 at best buy which is a pretty good deal.... I also have the 50ST50 first run of the mill productions from last year and i must say i think the gt50 has a slight better picture than my ST50. I know its like beating a dead horse regarding GT50 and ST50 have same panels but its slight picture quality is better in my opinion.

GT50
Pros:
Picture Quality is fantastic (not like VT50 but real close)
build quality is pretty good
no buzzing (i think the whole buzzing thing is blown out of proportion unless you have a Samsung which those freaking buzz like no other)

Cons:
Audio is horrid even my ST50 sounds better than this (i have home theater setup don't care really)
TV is freaking hot only when you touch the back of the TV (same as my ST50 too)

To be honest even if you were to buy a ST60 now over the 50 series from last year the picture quality will not be that dramatic minimal at best. I do plan on getting the GT50 calibrated which will make it shine even more.
post #25 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazkiller View Post

To be honest even if you were to buy a ST60 now over the 50 series from last year the picture quality will not be that dramatic minimal at best. I do plan on getting the GT50 calibrated which will make it shine even more.

That doesn't seem to be quite accurate from initial impressions.
post #26 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:

I am new to the forum and delighted to share my experience.

Yeah, i agree the price of the ST60 was lower than what i paid for on the 50GT50 but it wasn't in stock when i purchased the GT50 2 weeks ago. No biggie...... I was coming from a 55VT50 which was fantastic too, but the VT50 had issues with the fans humming like crazy after a couple of hours of watching TV. I did sacrifice 5 inches (no more 55GT50 anywhere) but the picture quality on GT50 is still pretty good. The VT 50 had obviously better blacks.
I purchased this TV for 1050 at best buy which is a pretty good deal.... I also have the 50ST50 first run of the mill productions from last year and i must say i think the gt50 has a slight better picture than my ST50. I know its like beating a dead horse regarding GT50 and ST50 have same panels but its slight picture quality is better in my opinion.

GT50
Pros:
Picture Quality is fantastic (not like VT50 but real close)
build quality is pretty good
no buzzing (i think the whole buzzing thing is blown out of proportion unless you have a Samsung which those freaking buzz like no other)

Cons:
Audio is horrid even my ST50 sounds better than this (i have home theater setup don't care really)
TV is freaking hot only when you touch the back of the TV (same as my ST50 too)

I have yet to hear any fan noise my VT50 is very quiet

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #27 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/panasonic-tx-p50st60-p15314/test.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57564297-221/want-a-tv-now-ish-get-the-panasonic-st50-rather-than-waiting-on-the-st60/

Again, maybe or maybe not the Panasonic plasmas still are kings when it comes to TVs
I do agree on the pricing which seems better this year than last year.
I have my eye on the ZT60 which i will get for my basement.....
post #28 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/panasonic-tx-p50st60-p15314/test.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57564297-221/want-a-tv-now-ish-get-the-panasonic-st50-rather-than-waiting-on-the-st60/

Again, maybe or maybe not the Panasonic plasmas still are kings when it comes to TVs
I do agree on the pricing which seems better this year than last year.
I have my eye on the ZT60 which i will get for my basement.....

The first link is the EU model.

The second link is from January, and no longer relevant.
post #29 of 43 Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 AM

I ended up going with a 55" UT50. I know its a model lower but Costco had a deal that was too good to pass up. It was selling for $749. I couldn't justify paying an additional $700 or more for the ST50 or even ST60. So far pretty happy with the set although I am noticing a large amount of reflection. Maybe moreso than the G25 I replaced. But the picture quality seems better than the G25. Thanks for the help.
post #30 of 43 Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:

I ended up going with a 55" UT50. I know its a model lower but Costco had a deal that was too good to pass up. It was selling for $749. I couldn't justify paying an additional $700 or more for the ST50 or even ST60. So far pretty happy with the set although I am noticing a large amount of reflection. Maybe moreso than the G25 I replaced. But the picture quality seems better than the G25. Thanks for the help.

That's a good deal and as long as you can control light it will be better than your G25 I think, enjoy smile.gif

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P50gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page