Panasonic ST50 no sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had to send my Pioneer in for repairs, so for the time being any audio must come directly from the TV speakers. The problem is that I cannot get any audio signal from the TV. I've made sure that the TV Speakers are set to ON in the Advanced audio menu, mute is off, volume is up high enough that it would be audible. I am using HDMI sources only, so the inputs are set to Digital sound. I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofozz47 View Post

I had to send my Pioneer in for repairs, so for the time being any audio must come directly from the TV speakers. The problem is that I cannot get any audio signal from the TV. I've made sure that the TV Speakers are set to ON in the Advanced audio menu, mute is off, volume is up high enough that it would be audible. I am using HDMI sources only, so the inputs are set to Digital sound. I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have a solution?

When you were routing audio through your AVR did you have your ST50's Setup > Viera Link setting set to ON by any chance?

And if it was set to ON, did you have the Default Speaker setting set to Theater? If so, change them from Theater to TV and see if that enables the TV's onboard speakers.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I actually had not changed anything in that menu but I did check as you suggested. The settings had Viera link 'ON' and the Default speakers set to 'TV'. Perhaps I should mess with this stuff when I actually get my AVR back but for now I still can't get any sound out of the onboard speakers.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Hmmm. You can test the speakers by selecting the Media Player and running a photo slideshow, then access the Slideshow settings and select one of the soundtrack Music selections in the menu - the music will play through the speakers.

Some other things to try . . . .

Do the speakers work if you use the TV's internal tuner (antenna or basic cable)?

Have you tried

Have you tried any non-HDMI sources Component or Composite Video input to see if you get any sound from the speakers?

Have you tried a different HDMI cable to rule out a bad cable?

Do your HDMI sources have their own audio output settings that need to be changed?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I tried playing an Mp3 from a USB drive and the speakers work! Thanks for the suggestion. At least we know it's not broken. I've tried different sources (Cable box and PS3) with different cables and different inputs. I still cannot get sound from those HDMI sources. I would try your suggestion of the component video but I don't have anything on hand that uses it.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofozz47 View Post

I tried playing an Mp3 from a USB drive and the speakers work! Thanks for the suggestion. At least we know it's not broken. I've tried different sources (Cable box and PS3) with different cables and different inputs. I still cannot get sound from those HDMI sources. I would try your suggestion of the component video but I don't have anything on hand that uses it.

Well at least you know the speakers are not broken. There still may be another failure in the TV. If you've "hot-swapping" the HDMI cables into the TV while it's turned on then that can sometimes damage the HDMI Input Board. The TV should be turned off or unplugged when you fiddle with the HDMI cables.

Do you have any analog devices (old VCR or DVD Player, digital or video camera, etc) with a red/white RCA audio output that you can connect and change your HDMI-In audio from Digital to Component/Composite Video so see if you get any analog audio through that input?

Doesn't your Cable Box have Component or Composite Video outputs with red/white audio outputs?

Do you have another TV with HDMI inputs that you can test your cable box and PS3 on to see if it gets audio from their HDMI outputs?

You could try unplugging the TV for a few minutes in the hope that it will somehow "reboot" it.

Randy