Watching 3D movies over panasonic 50UT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey :-)
before few weeks ago i have bought panasonic 50ut50 plus panasonic original 3d glasses
once i run avatar 1080p full sbs (mkv) that tv says that i have to press 3d button and then i can choose 2d or 3d.
once i choose 3d you can really see some difference, but the picture that you get is not that big, therefore you can't true enjoy from the film

Once i run the Full original bluray 1:1 of alice in wonderland/avatar through TotalMedia Theatre 6, the tv doesn't recognize there's 3d signal.
I have to press 3d button and activate 2d to 3d, then the glasses, but you can't see any big difference. why it is not working proprely?

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi Brenner View Post

Hey :-)
before few weeks ago i have bought panasonic 50ut50 plus panasonic original 3d glasses
once i run avatar 1080p full sbs (mkv) that tv says that i have to press 3d button and then i can choose 2d or 3d.
once i choose 3d you can really see some difference, but the picture that you get is not that big, therefore you can't true enjoy from the film

Once i run the Full original bluray 1:1 of alice in wonderland/avatar through TotalMedia Theatre 6, the tv doesn't recognize there's 3d signal.
I have to press 3d button and activate 2d to 3d, then the glasses, but you can't see any big difference. why it is not working proprely?

thank you

If it doesn't detect a 3D signal then all you're doing is converting the 2D image to 3D. It's basically the same thing as turning your regular cable programming into 3D, it adds a bit more depth, but does virtually nothing. With that said I'm not sure how you can get it to recognize the signal if it's not SBS, if you're streaming from the PC.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

If it doesn't detect a 3D signal then all you're doing is converting the 2D image to 3D. It's basically the same thing as turning your regular cable programming into 3D, it adds a bit more depth, but does virtually nothing. With that said I'm not sure how you can get it to recognize the signal if it's not SBS, if you're streaming from the PC.

:-(
It's weird that if i run the sbs it does recognize it, and with the original 1:1 copy it doesnt
post #4 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi Brenner View Post

:-(
It's weird that if i run the sbs it does recognize it, and with the original 1:1 copy it doesnt

Some questions:
1. Was the Avatar mkv full SBS or half SBS? What is the reported resolution of the mkv file? Which "player" di you use to play this file?

2. In order to play 3D Blu-ray, you need a 3D capable Blu-ray drive, 3D capable software and license, 3D capable video card/adapter, and a 3D TV.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

It is full sbs (Avatar.3D.2009.1080p.BluRay.Full.SBS.DTS.x264)
Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 215964301815154332134696422976661301470 (0xA279362A01564E98B61FDD06F12928DE)
Complete name                            : D:\Movies\Avatar.3D.2009.1080p.BluRay.Full.SBS.DTS.x264\Avatar.3D.2009.1080p.BluRay.Full.SBS.DTS.x264.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 31.6 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 41mn
Overall bit rate                         : 28.0 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2011-09-18 10:39:38
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v4.9.1 ('Ich will') built on Jul 11 2011 23:53:15
Writing library                          : libebml v1.2.1 + libmatroska v1.1.1

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 26.5 Mbps
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 1 078 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 3.562
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.267
Stream size                              : 29.3 GiB (93%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 116 r2074 2641b9e
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=tesa / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.90:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=9 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=90 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=26500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.70 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.70
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.70 GiB (5%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

I tried to play the mkv and the original full bluray through Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 6.
I have a 3D TV (panasonic 50ut50) and as far as i know my ati 5450HD support 3D.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Software and hardware blu-ray players may not support the higher resolution of full SBS files.
I've found you need to use a half SBS (1920x1080) 3D MKV file for support.
You can play half SBS 3D MKV video files by copying to a USB flash drive and pluging it directly into the TV.
On the UT50, you can then select Auto2 in the 3D settings to get automatic detection of the 3D SBS format or use the 3D button and manually select left-right 3D format.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
He has all the requirements to play full 3D blurays. I'm not sure what the problem is.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not quite sure what the OP is saying about Avatar not being big enough in 3D mode and then the second paragraph, he has problems playing it in "1:1" 3D mode? I'm thoroughly confused. It could be a handshake issue--where the first time, the UT50 was recognized as 3D capable, and then not the second time and so the software outputs only 2D. Also, some software requires a different "version" or license to play 3D material (PowerDVD comes to mind).
post #9 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

When i played the "full sbs mkv" with MPC-HC, the panasonic recognized 3D signal, and ask you to push 3d button to change mode to 3d.
It wasn't a success because the image was really small. it wasn't all over the screen like at avatar bluray 2D (16:9) it was even smaller then regular 21:9 movie.
That's why the place of the full sbs is at the recycle bin
I just installed Powerdvd last version,i had to click 3D on the software toolbar, then over the tv it automaticlly has been changed over 3d mode. then it worked.
i just had to go over settings and set the the amp will decode the audio and not the software (passthrough)

2 things :-)
Why it written on the screen only 24hz input? as far as i know the screen is 600hz. when i play 2d movie its written 60hz only.
there is any way i can add subtitles? the 3d bluray doesn't have hebrew subtitle like at 2d bluray version.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Make sure your MPC-HC is the latest version with the latest CODEC. Then play around with the software/hardware VC-1 & H.264 acceleration options.

If you're clicking 3D on the PowerDVD toolbar, my guess is that you're using PowerDVD's 2D to 3D emulation mode and not true 3D. But only you'll be able to tell on your setup. 3D playback on 3D capable software and hardware is pretty automatic usually.

It sounds like you need to take this thread to the HTPC forum where you can get appropriate help.

Meanwhile, that 600Hz on the UT50 refers to the sub-field drive rate. Not the refresh rate of the display as a whole. Here's an explanation:
Quote:
On a phosphor-based screen, such as a traditional CRT TV or a plasma TV, the response time is effectively well under 1ms, with the latest plasmas having pixel response times which are near-instantaneous (around 0.001 ms). This is because once a phosphor is lit up, it can be instantly switched off again. One of the reasons for this rapid response time is that Plasma cells are in a constant state of pre-charge. This rapid response time is also where the marketing term 600Hz Sub Field Drive comes from. It means that for 60 frames per second of video, the plasma uses Pulse Width Modulation to control the power to the phosphors, pulsing them at 10 times per frame to maintain a bright image - 10 pulses per frame x 60 FPS = 600Hz. This does not equal 600 frames per second though, it is simply 60 FPS with 10 flashes per frame.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Rocket View Post

Make sure your MPC-HC is the latest version with the latest CODEC. Then play around with the software/hardware VC-1 & H.264 acceleration options.

If you're clicking 3D on the PowerDVD toolbar, my guess is that you're using PowerDVD's 2D to 3D emulation mode and not true 3D. But only you'll be able to tell on your setup. 3D playback on 3D capable software and hardware is pretty automatic usually.

It sounds like you need to take this thread to the HTPC forum where you can get appropriate help.

Meanwhile, that 600Hz on the UT50 refers to the sub-field drive rate. Not the refresh rate of the display as a whole. Here's an explanation:

It wasn't 2d to 3d. if you want to disable/enable 3d you click on the toolbar. Avatar looks amazing! ( have seen it on cimena also)
it wasn't automaticlly, because the signal was both to the computer screen and also for tv the same time.
Once i have disabled stream to the computer, and then run the movie, it changed automaticlly to 3d.
about the full sbs - it should be like a remux of a 3d bluray? the advantage is single file, and easy way of adding subtitle.

i will read your explanation about the hz issue tomorrow, i have to go work in a few hours and ive got to get some sleep.
do you know any way to add subtitle to the bluray?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page