Panny Plasma TC-P65UT50 3D is too dark - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched the forum for a bit and couldn't find the answer, so I'll post it...

I can't seem to find the right settings to get 3D movies to look right. In the end, they are always too dark. The Panasonic 'active' 3D glasses are tinted slightly, adding to the darkening effect.

To fix it, I push the brigthness up to around 80-84. This helps it, but does not solve the problem. At this point, the picture starts getting al ittle washed out and the blacks start becoming gray... and the whites are still not bright enough.

Is there any advice you can give me to help with this issue?

I have:
Panasonic 65" TC-P65UT50
HDMI
3D Sharp Blu Ray player
Panasonic active 3D glasses
movies: Transformers, Dark of the moon 3D, Avatar 3D, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 741
I believe this is just inherent with most of the plasmas at this point, perhaps the very latest generation is doing better on this point. I did read recently that there are some clear 3d glasses, not sure if they'd help but might be worth a shot. I also have a 3d plasma set, altho a Samsung PN59D8000....and on my set the cell light is automatically increased to help.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If your 3D blu-ray player has custom settings, you can try increasing its contrast, along with using contrast=100 on the TV.
The UT50 unfortunately doesn't have the pro settings of the ST50 and higher models where you could increase the panel brightness to HIGH and increase the AGC setting for higher brightness in 3D mode.
You might also try VIVID mode in 3D on the UT50.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Alexander View Post

I searched the forum for a bit and couldn't find the answer, so I'll post it...

I can't seem to find the right settings to get 3D movies to look right. In the end, they are always too dark. The Panasonic 'active' 3D glasses are tinted slightly, adding to the darkening effect.

To fix it, I push the brigthness up to around 80-84. This helps it, but does not solve the problem. At this point, the picture starts getting al ittle washed out and the blacks start becoming gray... and the whites are still not bright enough.

Is there any advice you can give me to help with this issue?

I have:
Panasonic 65" TC-P65UT50
HDMI
3D Sharp Blu Ray player
Panasonic active 3D glasses
movies: Transformers, Dark of the moon 3D, Avatar 3D, etc.

If you're adjusting the "Brightness" setting, you're doing the wrong thing. "Brightness" adjusts the black level. If you want the overall picture to be brighter, you actually need to adjust the "Contrast" setting. What is your contrast setting at? Are you watching with any room lights?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast with 3D on these plasmas, there's going to be either a comprise in "brightness" or color accuracy/greyscale. On my ST50 I'm using a gamma of 2.2 and a Cool color temp, which is WAY off from what the correct picture should look like as far as accuracy is concerned, but it helps out significantly in giving a bright enough picture. When I use a more accurate color temp and gamma the picture is way too dim.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
This is at night time with all lights off. Non-3D has a fabulous picture and is plenty bright by the way.

I'll have to play with other settings like gamma and contrast and see if I can improve things there a bit.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast with 3D on these plasmas, there's going to be either a comprise in "brightness" or color accuracy/greyscale. On my ST50 I'm using a gamma of 2.2 and a Cool color temp, which is WAY off from what the correct picture should look like as far as accuracy is concerned, but it helps out significantly in giving a bright enough picture. When I use a more accurate color temp and gamma the picture is way too dim.

This is my completely non-professional opinion, but I don't see how color temp. and gamma can be accurate if the movie looks nothing like its bright, beautiful, vibrant, 2D counterpart. To me that just seems ridiculous, I have gotten a lot closer to how the 2D image should look than any calibrated settings I have found. Maybe they have clear see through glasses, hell if I know.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

If your 3D blu-ray player has custom settings, you can try increasing its contrast, along with using contrast=100 on the TV.
The UT50 unfortunately doesn't have the pro settings of the ST50 and higher models where you could increase the panel brightness to HIGH and increase the AGC setting for higher brightness in 3D mode.
You might also try VIVID mode in 3D on the UT50.

This unfortunately. You're going to have to use Vivid for that added brightness.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page