About to purchase a used Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M. Thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone,

I am about to buy a used KRP-500M from a guy in the Los Angeles area. It is in pristine condition, no dead pixels and no cosmetic issues whatsoever. It should look relatively "like new". It also has low hours, under 2000. This has been confirmed.

I am going to pay $1200 cash when I pick it up on Saturday. Now I know that this set has a reputation as being one of the best ever made. My question is what do you think of this purchase in 2013? Obviously the Kuros are not as far ahead of the competition as they were a couple of years ago. However, as far as I understand, a KRP-500M should produce a better image than any other set you can buy even today.

So do you think this is a good purchase? I am going to do it regardless but I am just looking for some thoughts. I know there will be some OLED sets released this year that should be able to beat the Kuro in certain respects, but probably at a greater than $9000 price point, WAY out of my budget. And then there is the problem of first generation technology. The long term reliability is a serious question mark.

So basically I am suggesting that it will be a few years still until there is anything that can be had even close to the $1000 price point that will come close to a KRP-500m. Do you agree with this?

Just looking for feedback on this purchase. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd go for a 60" ST60 for a bit more or even a S60 for around the same price, unless you're constrained by size requirements.

post #3 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
It sounds like a good deal to me, especially if you're going to be watching it in a controlled lighting environment and don't desire 3D. if you're set on 50", there is really no competition with the 500M this year when it comes to the total PQ package. If you can go larger, the ZT60 might be an alternative that comes close.

As for OLED, I wouldn't count on any panels surfacing this year. That TV tech is all talk and no delivery.
post #4 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Great deal. I would just make sure nothing is wrong with the TV. Some people notice something wrong and try to sell to someone else.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The only concern is if something ends up being wrong, you've got nothing to fall back on. 50" options are dwindling but the 51F8500 should be pretty nice.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #6 of 20 Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the responses. I feel pretty confident in my purchase. I know there is a risk as there is no warranty but I am a risk taker by nature. I just want the best picture quality. I also have experience with Pioneer as I have owned an 8th generation Kuro for several years. I am really obsessive about black levels and I don't think there is any competition for the KRP-500m outside of OLED prototypes at this point.

I also feel confident that the Kuros have been around for several years and have proven their reliability so that gives me confidence as well. My 8th gen Kuro has over 10,000 hours on it and not a single problem. The picture looks as good now as it did when I bought it.

Thanks for the feedback. I also recently purchased a Darbee Darblet, so the KRP-500m plus Darbee should deliver a truly outstanding image.

I don't know how you could do better for $1200.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

I'd go for a 60" ST60 for a bit more or even a S60 for around the same price, unless you're constrained by size requirements.

I don't know about this. Yes, in an ideal universe, a larger screen size would be preferred. But I don't know anyone who thinks that the ST series Panasonic comes anywhere in the ballpark of a KRP-500m in terms of overall picture quality.

If screen size was all I cared about I could get a cheap ass 70" lcd from Wal Mart. But picture quality is my utmost concern at this point.

I might prefer a Kuro Pro-141FD or a Panasonic ZT60 if given the choice but both would cost more than $4000. I am spending just a hair over $1000.

Thanks for the feedback though.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You cant beat the 500m for pure picture quality. I have had mine since 2009, and it has over 9000 hrs on it and it still makes me drop my jaw with the picture quality. The only thing I would look for is the dreaded Red Tint.
Enjoy your new TV!
post #9 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post

I don't know about this. Yes, in an ideal universe, a larger screen size would be preferred. But I don't know anyone who thinks that the ST series Panasonic comes anywhere in the ballpark of a KRP-500m in terms of overall picture quality.

If screen size was all I cared about I could get a cheap ass 70" lcd from Wal Mart. But picture quality is my utmost concern at this point.

I might prefer a Kuro Pro-141FD or a Panasonic ZT60 if given the choice but both would cost more than $4000. I am spending just a hair over $1000.

Thanks for the feedback though.
A small detail, but the ZT60 was up for preorder for as low as $3500. I currently have a 111FD, so if the ZT60 lives up to the hype, I think said panel would be a worthy replacement. wink.gif
post #10 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I appreciate the responses. I feel pretty confident in my purchase. I know there is a risk as there is no warranty but I am a risk taker by nature. I just want the best picture quality. I also have experience with Pioneer as I have owned an 8th generation Kuro for several years. I am really obsessive about black levels and I don't think there is any competition for the KRP-500m outside of OLED prototypes at this point.

I also feel confident that the Kuros have been around for several years and have proven their reliability so that gives me confidence as well. My 8th gen Kuro has over 10,000 hours on it and not a single problem. The picture looks as good now as it did when I bought it.

Thanks for the feedback. I also recently purchased a Darbee Darblet, so the KRP-500m plus Darbee should deliver a truly outstanding image.

Sounds like a good deal. I will add that I owned a 500m for over 3yrs and I recently sold it. I also picked up a mint condition Pro 101fd right in the same price range you are looking at.. You will be in for a real treat with the 500m. Also if it's not already installed I highly recommend you get the isf modes via controlcal and have it professionally calibrated. And you are right, the Darbee and the 500m make a killer combination(Especially with bluray).
post #11 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

See, that I didn't know. If you have a Kuro it is totally expected to really enjoy the picture. Also, they are reliable TVs. I feel you are making the right choice here.

If something turns you off the TV, having seen a 60F8500, you should check out the 51"

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #12 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

But he's not talking about a Walmart LCD lol. All of these plasmas are great and I'd say it really depends on how far you are sitting. 7ft? Then sure the 50" is fine. If it's 9ft give me a 60" without a question.

But if 50" is big enough then grab it if you trust the guy. KRP-500m = awesome.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You cannot get anything better...even today.

Buy it for $1,200 and spend $400 for a very experienced ISF Calibration Tech come in and tweak it. Do not skimp on the ISF Calibration... find someone good with many years of experience and a good reputation who uses real equipment ... not an $800 meter. Do not use teh geek squad whatever you do. You can almost always do better that they can with a good calibration disc and an hour of your time.

OLED sets are nice but they are not there yet....and they are way expensive.

I have a Three (3) Pioneer 9th Generation Panels .... all calibrated ... and I would not give them up for anything.

You will be happy with this purchase.

Quote:

Hello everyone,

I am about to buy a used KRP-500M from a guy in the Los Angeles area. It is in pristine condition, no dead pixels and no cosmetic issues whatsoever. It should look relatively "like new". It also has low hours, under 2000. This has been confirmed.

I am going to pay $1200 cash when I pick it up on Saturday. Now I know that this set has a reputation as being one of the best ever made. My question is what do you think of this purchase in 2013? Obviously the Kuros are not as far ahead of the competition as they were a couple of years ago. However, as far as I understand, a KRP-500M should produce a better image than any other set you can buy even today.

So do you think this is a good purchase? I am going to do it regardless but I am just looking for some thoughts. I know there will be some OLED sets released this year that should be able to beat the Kuro in certain respects, but probably at a greater than $9000 price point, WAY out of my budget. And then there is the problem of first generation technology. The long term reliability is a serious question mark.

So basically I am suggesting that it will be a few years still until there is anything that can be had even close to the $1000 price point that will come close to a KRP-500m. Do you agree with this?

Just looking for feedback on this purchase. Thanks.
craigyboy likes this.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #14 of 20 Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

You cannot get anything better...even today.

Buy it for $1,200 and spend $400 for a very experienced ISF Calibration Tech come in and tweak it. Do not skimp on the ISF Calibration... find someone good with many years of experience and a good reputation who uses real equipment ... not an $800 meter. Do not use teh geek squad whatever you do. You can almost always do better that they can with a good calibration disc and an hour of your time.

OLED sets are nice but they are not there yet....and they are way expensive.

I have a Three (3) Pioneer 9th Generation Panels .... all calibrated ... and I would not give them up for anything.

You will be happy with this purchase.

Well, I picked up the display today. Everything looks great. Cosmetically the display is perfect, there is no burn in or dead pixels and it only has about 2000 hours or so.

I haven't watched anything on it yet. The guy I bought it from just gave me a brief demonstration, played a few trailers fed from his laptop. The source was far from perfect but the sole purpose was to see that there are no imperfections with the display. So I haven't really played any "good" source material (blu rays) yet.

The reason is that the first thing I want to do is enable the ISF modes and plug in the D-Nice settings. However I have no idea how to do that.

Could someone here please help me? I am a complete novice at this kind of thing.

I don't want to purchase the patch and use ControlCal. I would much prefer I do it this way:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1240606/kurocontrol-program-for-pioneer-krp500m-600m-and-elites

The "KuroControll" program supposedly allows you to enable the ISF modes without updating the firmware because it switches the model information to a European version.

I don't have to buy anything and I should be good to go right now. However I cannot seem to get the Kuro to link up with my computer. I tried a regular ethernet cable, then I went out and bought a "Crossover" type ethernet cable (I'm not sure if the cables I have are crossover or not) but I am still hopelessly confused about how to get the display to connect to the software.

I enabled the "IP Control" and "DHCP" options in the menu. I also see the IP Address and have copied it down. I have also tried the KuroReader software and I cannot get it to connect either.

I'm sure I'm missing something simply. Could any of you help me so I can enable the ISF modes, plug in the settings and start enjoying this new display? I am very anxious and I would really appreciate the help.

In the "KuroControl" software there are two options of connection at the top left corner: "Serial Port" and "Network". I assume I am supposed to pick "Network" right? To the right of that are two boxes to fill in the IP Address (presumably) and to the right of that is a big "Connect" button. I need to get this to connect but I don't know how.

In the "Kuro Reader" program there is a box for the "IP Address" and a box for the "TCP Control Port". What is a TCP Control Port? What do I enter there?

Please help me. I have no idea how to get these programs to communicate with my KRP-500m.

If someone could help me tonight I would appreciate it immensely. Thank you.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

I actually got it to work. However I am a little confused. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the "KuroControl" program to activate the ISF modes on the Pioneer KRP-500m but I could use some help with it as that is the method I am using to get those modes and calibrate.

It is a little confusing to input all the settings through this program. Once I am done, I see the "ISF Day" and "ISF Night" options in the picture modes. However, I cannot change any picture options on these presets with the remote. They are all grayed out. Although from what I can see it seems that the program did select the right settings. However I cannot see the color management controls or any of the advanced picture controls, those are all grayed out.

Can I just enable the ISF modes through this program and then calibrate through the regular remote like any other picture preset? How can I verify that this program actually changed all the settings for the ISF modes the way it should have if I cannot access the controls with the menu?

I don't know how to get help for this program (KuroControl) but if anyone here could help me, I would be grateful.

For those that are wondering, I have watched some material after I did this basic setup and the results are truly spectacular. The picture is pretty amazing.

I do want everything to be set up the way it should be, however.

Thanks for the help.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Could anyone help me out here? I know there are plenty of Kuro owners on this forum and surely there are many that have gone through the process of enabling the ISF modes on their 500m/600m.

I don't know where else to turn to get help on setting this up and calibrating the display. If anyone has an answer, please reply to this thread.

Thanks.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 72
maybe turbe is the man to contact, try a pm, hope you get it all sorted out

post #18 of 20 Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
Hey man you cannot change the settings in the isf using the TV menu/remote. You have to use the software to make changes but once you have it set you shouldn't have to change it.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was looking at a KRP-500M also, but was told to wait for a deal on a 50" 111FD as the Elite is a better model? Is this not true?
post #20 of 20 Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 89
500m is a better display , no doubt about it wink.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Krp 500m 50 Inch Flat Panel Kuro Monitor , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page