Need a new plasma, but don't want to go bigger than 51" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I'm planning to replace an old Panny Plasma - TH-42PX50U - and don't mind spending above $2000 again as I'm extremely happy with my current TV.

Sadly, I can't go bigger than 50 to 51 inches which does limit my choices. It sounds like I should go with the 51-inch Samsung PN51F8500, as the ZT60 does not come in a screen size smaller than 60 inches. Unless the lower-level ST Panny is as good as the Samsung?

I also wonder if it's too early to decide between the pair? Has there been a professional comparison done of the two models?

Thanks in advance for your advice smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
If your willing to spend the extra money I would get the F8500. The F8500 has an advantage in brighter rooms.

If its only for dark room viewing get the panasonic
post #3 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! My room is not overly bright, just a few windows. Also, for Panasonic, I assume you're recommending the ST? (since the ZT doesn't come in the size I need)?
post #4 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm in the exact same position, limited to 50-51 inches. Seems like the 2 main choices are the st60 and the f8500. Sounds like in a dark environment that it's close to being a toss up. Regarding a daylight environment, just how much of an edge does the f8500 have? Enough to justify spending twice as much? I'm new to all of this and get lost with all the brightness/black level numbers being thrown around. In real world usage is the f8500 worth the price premium, or is the st60 shaping up to be the best bang for the buck tv this year?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

I'm in the exact same position, limited to 50-51 inches. Seems like the 2 main choices are the st60 and the f8500. Sounds like in a dark environment that it's close to being a toss up. Regarding a daylight environment, just how much of an edge does the f8500 have? Enough to justify spending twice as much? I'm new to all of this and get lost with all the brightness/black level numbers being thrown around. In real world usage is the f8500 worth the price premium, or is the st60 shaping up to be the best bang for the buck tv this year?

I dont think anyone is going to say is it worth the premium, only you can decide that.....If you are looking for bang for the buck then chose the ST60 or wait (if you can) for a few mroe reviews and for owners to start getting the sets into their homes........You need to decide whats important for you and what will fit your viewing environment.....
Tommy! likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You might want to check the dimensions on the newer plasma models, they are much smaller and lighter overall (smaller bezel) for a larger screen viewing size than the models from a few years back.
You might be able to fit a new model 55" plasma in the space of an older 50" or smaller model like I recently did.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, some great advice! I too am wondering about the suitability of the ST60 to my viewing environment. If mine's an average-lit room... not too dark or bright... is the ST60 problematic? I wish I could provide more precise info on the brightness of my living room. smile.gif

re: 55" bezels, that's a good point. Though for me, it won't make a difference, I'm picking 50" due to the viewing distance constraints of my room. It's exactly 151 inches from my wall-mounted TV to my eyes while sitting on the couch. Currently, my 42" feels too small, even though it's a foot ahead of the wall and resting on my console. 55" will probably be too big.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy! View Post

Thanks everyone, some great advice! I too am wondering about the suitability of the ST60 to my viewing environment. If mine's an average-lit room... not too dark or bright... is the ST60 problematic? I wish I could provide more precise info on the brightness of my living room. smile.gif

re: 55" bezels, that's a good point. Though for me, it won't make a difference, I'm picking 50" due to the viewing distance constraints of my room. It's exactly 151 inches from my wall-mounted TV to my eyes while sitting on the couch. Currently, my 42" feels too small, even though it's a foot ahead of the wall and resting on my console. 55" will probably be too big.

Eek at ~12 Feet I think you could easily do a 60-65 with no issuem it would seem big at 1st (they suaully do) but then you get used to it and it starts to shrink.....alll personal preference though smile.gif

if its average lit and doesnt have direct sunlight then an ST60 should fit your needs well IMO, the only way to really tell however is to go and see the set in person and play around with the settings.....While the store is not a good measure overall of the sets performance, you will be able to get a general idea of what you will be watching...
Tommy! likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Eek at ~12 Feet I think you could easily do a 60-65 with no issuem it would seem big at 1st (they suaully do) but then you get used to it and it starts to shrink.....alll personal preference though smile.gif

if its average lit and doesnt have direct sunlight then an ST60 should fit your needs well IMO, the only way to really tell however is to go and see the set in person and play around with the settings.....While the store is not a good measure overall of the sets performance, you will be able to get a general idea of what you will be watching...

+1 cool.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Thanks! In a few weeks when the new models are out, I'll definitely need to stare at the TVs in the showroom and see if a 60" makes sense. smile.gif
post #11 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy! View Post

Thanks! In a few weeks when the new models are out, I'll definitely need to stare at the TVs in the showroom and see if a 60" makes sense. smile.gif
I sit between 12 and 14 feet and just picked up a 60" coming from a 55“. If could afford it without sacrificing quality I would no doubt go bigger. Think about how big a movie screen is and how far you sit from that screen. Then you won't think 60" is to big for the distance.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a 50" at 7feet but could go bigger for reference
post #13 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Another good way to see is to go into Best Buy's Magnolia sections. Look at the setups there for the largest screens and see how far they setup the chairs from the screen. They are usually not far at all. You would probably sit like 7 feet from a 70-75 inch screen and the first thing you would say is this looks awesome.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 04:30 AM

Liked: 12
I sit about 9.5" away from a 60" and it feels too small so I'm upgrading. A 65" from that distance should be no issue at all.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 AM

Im running into the problem of choosing between a 60'' Plasma for the picture, a 70'' Sharp for the size, or a 110'' projection system for the 'wow' factor.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page