Issues with new Panny ST60!!?? Shaking/wobbling picture??? The Shaky-Shake... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

It seems thread topic has been fixed and it should read instead some grain and noise with certain dark scenes.
My cable box seems to have been the culprit with the Shaky-Shake and motion smoother on takes care of the scrolling judder. I'm starting to think the 60" upgrade in size will look good on my bedroom wall.

I suspect my fios box is to blame as well. With my ST50 it varies from show to show and channel to channel. Yesterday when watching STARZ, I noticed Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance was very juddery and often so soft images looked blurry, it was very hard to watch. I then watched Kill Bill on the same network and it was silky smooth and sharp. The SPEED channel also looks very soft/blurry. But Game of Thrones and Snow White & The Huntsman on HBO are crystal clear and gorgeous. All blu-rays have been awesome, so I suspect it is my box or the way the signal is coming from the box to my panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

I suspect my fios box is to blame as well. With my ST50 it varies from show to show and channel to channel. Yesterday when watching STARZ, I noticed Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance was very juddery and often so soft images looked blurry, it was very hard to watch. I then watched Kill Bill on the same network and it was silky smooth and sharp. The SPEED channel also looks very soft/blurry. But Game of Thrones and Snow White & The Huntsman on HBO are crystal clear and gorgeous. All blu-rays have been awesome, so I suspect it is my box or the way the signal is coming from the box to my panel.

I'm using a motorola COMCAST box. I notice on the season premier of Mad Men. The AMC logo is moving like crazy. Like it's animated. The height of the logo bouncing up and down very slightly. Also the screen wobbles on the top and bottom a bit. I had to turn overscan ON and it was less noticiable, but the logo was still bouncing. When I pause the picture it doesn't wobble so I suspect it WAS the signal? Any thoughts?
post #33 of 43 Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't think it is unusual to see the picture artifacts that have been mentioned on a cable channel. Maybe it's the cable system. Before concluding that it has anything to do with the TV, it might be good to see if the problem occurs on the picture from a Blu-ray player.

On a different subject, I just got a little confused during the ordering process from Sears. I thought I was ordering a 60" ST60 for $1699, but somehow by the time I got it ordered, it was $1499 (plus tax). A pleasant surprise. I wonder if it's a mistake of some sort. The price I see now on the Sears site is $1699. Maybe the price changed as I was ordering.

Greg Lee
post #34 of 43 Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
@GregLee,
Congrats on the cheaper price, I love it when that happens. I’m gonna swap out my fios box for the one on my upstairs LCD to see if that one looks any better on my downstairs plasma. Blurays have been awesome but certain stations and content are extremely juddery.
post #35 of 43 Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM

I was interested in the st60; talked to a guy at bestbuy. He said stay away from the st60 - he got one a couple of months ago, and saw bad judder, and returned it, got the last gt50 available instead. I've been searching for more evidence of this (thinking maybe it was just his content), and now I see you also have the problem. So, I think it may be an issue with the st60 ... I wonder how much Panny will invest in plasma as they are struggling financially - Samsung's 8500 seems to be as good as, if not better than, the VT and ZT, and not so expensive ...
post #36 of 43 Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Troll alert

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #37 of 43 Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7Hat7 View Post

I was interested in the st60; talked to a guy at bestbuy. He said stay away from the st60 - he got one a couple of months ago, and saw bad judder, and returned it, got the last gt50 available instead.

And you believe a Best Buy salesman because......? The reason he said to get the GT50 is probably because their prices on the GT50 were too high at EOP, then when the ST60 came out it was better than the GT50 and was selling for $300-$400 less than the GT50 so people started buying the ST60 instead, and BB got stuck with a bunch of un-sold GT50s that they can't sell.

Quote:
I've been searching for more evidence of this (thinking maybe it was just his content), and now I see you also have the problem. So, I think it may be an issue with the st60 ...

Did you see much discussion about it in the ST60 thread?

Quote:
I wonder how much Panny will invest in plasma as they are struggling financially

It doesn't matter, they've already invested heavily in the technology over the past 15 years and the current models are so good there is no real need to invest any more. Even their mid-range model is almost reference quality. They're now spending the money on OLED development instead, as they should.
mdanderson likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #38 of 43 Old 06-28-2013, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

so I suspect it is my box or the way the signal is coming from the box to my panel.

I believe you are correct. The box or line signal coming into panel. Depending how far your house is down the line from where the fios line hooks in could cause loss of signal. Also how many boxes you have in your house and line splits as well. Verizon may have to hook you up with a booster or use several splitters different ways if this is the case. Typically it takes atleast 5 tv signals being split in your house before they splurge on the booster bc they don't seem to have a huge supply of the them. Atleast this was the case with my cable company optimum. the first guy didnt have any boosters in his truck. You could always buy one yourself.
post #39 of 43 Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7Hat7 View Post

I was interested in the st60; talked to a guy at bestbuy. He said stay away from the st60 - he got one a couple of months ago, and saw bad judder, and returned it, got the last gt50 available instead. I've been searching for more evidence of this (thinking maybe it was just his content), and now I see you also have the problem. So, I think it may be an issue with the st60 ... I wonder how much Panny will invest in plasma as they are struggling financially - Samsung's 8500 seems to be as good as, if not better than, the VT and ZT, and not so expensive ...
What best buy did you go to? In my area North NJ all sales reps push the Panny plasma's over any other tv. The situation with judder can be easily rectified by turning motion smoother OFF. The judder was mostly noticeable during credits scrolling. The shaky shake I briefly spoke of was a faulty cable box causing picture to re-correct itself and shake back and forth including the logos. The ST 60 tv is a very good value for sure!
post #40 of 43 Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here but I've just set up my new set yesterday and I see a lot of "grainy noise" as well. But for me it's on every screen including just going to the home screen. So it's not the external signal that's causing it.

You get an idea of what it looks like from this video
http://vimeo.com/69740919
Actually it's difficult to see in the video.

It's much more noticeable when you're close to the screen.

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen it?
post #41 of 43 Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaphid View Post

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here but I've just set up my new set yesterday and I see a lot of "grainy noise" as well. But for me it's on every screen including just going to the home screen. So it's not the external signal that's causing it.

It's much more noticeable when you're close to the screen.

Exactly how close are you getting to the screen? If you get abnormally close (like within 4 feet or so) to a Plasma you'll see varying amounts of dithering and/or noise, but it's not visible from anywhere near a normal viewing distance.

Quote:
Is this normal? Has anyone else seen it?

What picture mode do you have the TV in when you're seeing this? If it's STANDARD then that is a horrible picture mode and makes everything look bad - don't use Standard.

Custom or Cinema are what everyone uses.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #42 of 43 Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Is this normal? Has anyone else seen it?[/quote]

I have and do see this grainy noise. I own 3 other plasmas from the 2011' to 2013' model years and only see this pronounced on this st60. Not on all channels and signals for me though. It is always dark scenes where it rears its head. I haven't spent much time with the tv though since I bought it.
post #43 of 43 Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 AM

Hi, I just got my ST60 and it's the first plasma. I always had Sony LCD. the noise really bothers me, have you found a solution?
Does breaking it in help or running the d-nice slide?
Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page