post #1 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

I have a panny gt30 55 inch from december of 2011
great tv until..

I watched full screen HD movies and during the break in period. About 2 months ago I got an x box and halo 4. In the past 2 months I have played halo for for 6 days total. The other night, when watching game of thrones with some friends. A "friend" noticed a pink colored burn mark from the halo shield health bar on a snowy white background that was happening during the show. OMG!!!!!

I called panasonic, they said to hook it up to a computer and make the screen black, or to run the image retention tool they have for a long time. They also said that image retention and burn in are the same thing! I found their image retention tool on you tube and now have it on a loop on my tv.

I ran a black screen for about 15 hours and a white screen for about 20 yesterday that and it's still there. I think i may be getting a little bit better but i'm not sure.

Will I ever be able to play halo 4 again on this tv?

Check out the picture...how bad is it doc? Is this really bad or average I.R. ?

Will it ever be fixed? Will it take 6 days to fix??

anyone with similar stories and how they fixed it?

I already turned down my contrast and brightness on all the settings except when I'm running the tool. I heard to keep the contrast and brightness at high while running the tool.

Panasonic is not making plasma tv anymore i heard...no wonder...i was so happy until this happened. panny plasma burn in from halo 4 551k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (551.2 KB, 156 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaxeno View Post

Hey folks,

great tv until..

I watched full screen HD movies and during the break in period. About 2 months ago I got an x box and halo 4. In the past 2 months I have played halo for for 6 days total. The other night, when watching game of thrones with some friends. A "friend" noticed a pink colored burn mark from the halo shield health bar on a snowy white background that was happening during the show. OMG!!!!!

I called panasonic, they said to hook it up to a computer and make the screen black, or to run the image retention tool they have for a long time. They also said that image retention and burn in are the same thing! I found their image retention tool on you tube and now have it on a loop on my tv.

I ran a black screen for about 15 hours and a white screen for about 20 yesterday that and it's still there. I think i may be getting a little bit better but i'm not sure.

I already turned down my contrast and brightness on all the settings except when I'm running the tool. I heard to keep the contrast and brightness at high while running the tool.

Panasonic is not making plasma tv anymore i heard...no wonder...i was so happy until this happened. panny plasma burn in from halo 4 551k .JPG file

A black screen is completely useless, much like Panny's CS advice.

A colorful animated movie or something like that works best.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Hey folks,

great tv until..

What color is the "halo sheild health bar?" Gray?

I have had success in getting burn in out via an inverse of the image. The pinkish color makes me think the blues and greens were over exerted and not all three subpixels like you would have with a white display
post #4 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

What color is the "halo sheild health bar?" Gray?

I have had success in getting burn in out via an inverse of the image. The pinkish color makes me think the blues and greens were over exerted and not all three subpixels like you would have with a white display

The halo shield bar is greenish blue. halo 4 screen shot 85k .jpeg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1006306_halo-4-gameplay-screenshots_jpgf43483e08ebbb18e93002ab6df13acd3.jpeg (84.8 KB, 51 views)
post #5 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

what about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4gE_Xez-fQ
post #6 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

what about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4gE_Xez-fQ
post #7 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Either of those look good to me. Just watching the TV should work almost as good too.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM

You played Halo for 6 days???
post #10 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinnig View Post

You played Halo for 6 days???

about 2.5 hours a day for 2 months
post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Either of those look good to me. Just watching the TV should work almost as good too.

how long do you think it will take? do you think the I.R. is really bad?
post #12 of 19 Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

can i ever play halo again on this tv?
post #13 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

how long do you think it will take? do you think the I.R. is really bad?

I doubt playing Halo 2.5 hours a day for 6 days would cause burn-in. It looks like stubborn IR. Take a break for a while, and just watch normal full screen TV as JSpectre88 suggested. I have been gaming more and more on my ST50 and have had no IR issues, but I also watch a lot of differrent full screen content as well. Also, from time to time, I use the pixel flipper found on the Disney WOW calibration disc. It has cleared up any IR on my ST50.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM

I think he means 2.5 hours a day, totalling 6 days time, meaning, approximately 144 hours of gameplay spread over a 2 month timeframe.

metaxeno, same thing happened on my ST50, but mines not quite as bad as yours and I had even less play time, approximately 100-120 hours of gameplay over 2 1/2 months. And I had over 500hrs on my panel before even playing the game.

It's been close to 2 months since I really noticed it, and it's not faded much if at all, and I've run 100's of hours of full screen content as well as many of the other "remedies". Hope you get it to go away. Post back later and let us know if you are able to get it to diminish or go away.

Oh, and if you play any games with static huds like that, I found setting contrast to 50 or below, keeping brightness around 60 and making sure the game console is outputting 'standard' color and not 'expanded' or 'full' helps to lessen the IR chances.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

I doubt playing Halo 2.5 hours a day for 6 days would cause burn-in. It looks like stubborn IR. Take a break for a while, and just watch normal full screen TV as JSpectre88 suggested. I have been gaming more and more on my ST50 and have had no IR issues, but I also watch a lot of differrent full screen content as well. Also, from time to time, I use the pixel flipper found on the Disney WOW calibration disc. It has cleared up any IR on my ST50.

I doubt that too. i played halo for 6 days TOTAL...or 144 hours. I should add that i didn't do much else on the tv during this time which is why it happened. No where in the manual did it say you have to equal out static and non static images, nor say anything about lowering brightness and contrast.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argster View Post

I think he means 2.5 hours a day, totalling 6 days time, meaning, approximately 144 hours of gameplay spread over a 2 month timeframe.

metaxeno, same thing happened on my ST50, but mines not quite as bad as yours and I had even less play time, approximately 100-120 hours of gameplay over 2 1/2 months. And I had over 500hrs on my panel before even playing the game.

It's been close to 2 months since I really noticed it, and it's not faded much if at all, and I've run 100's of hours of full screen content as well as many of the other "remedies". Hope you get it to go away. Post back later and let us know if you are able to get it to diminish or go away.

Oh, and if you play any games with static huds like that, I found setting contrast to 50 or below, keeping brightness around 60 and making sure the game console is outputting 'standard' color and not 'expanded' or 'full' helps to lessen the IR chances.

Did you get your's to go away? I've run probably close to 2 days of full screen content and various remedies. Honestly I think it's gotten more visible. What picture settings did you use to get it to go away? I just can't game on it anymore. Which sucks but the picture on a plasma still beats any led/lcd so I'll just watch full screen content on it...

Except very few movies are full screen. Just watched the hobbit in 3D and it has the bars on the top and bottom. Should I be worried or just wash my tv after watching that movie? As far as i'm concerned...washing does nothing. Put my tv on craigslist the other day for a high price. no replies yet.

I know the picture on a plasma is great but none of the so called "experts" said it would be this much work with all the washing and such needed (if washing even works)...no wonder panny lost so much money on their plasma line. I might call and bitch and try and escalate a claim.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 AM

No, it hasn't gone away, that's why I said, "and it's not faded much, if at all". There's no silver bullet to remove it if it's serious IR or burnt in. It's going to just take a long time of viewing regular content to try and get it to go away. You might be able to reduce it enough so that's it's more tolerable at least. I've resolved to just live with it because there's not much else I can do, so why worry anymore.

What irritates me the most though, is that each time after gaming sessions, If I wasn't watching shows or a movie, I had let the TV run for 3 hours on full screen cable HD content until it auto shut off. I thought I was doing the right thing to mitigate any possible IR, but alas it didn't help much.

I still game on mine. It's only Halo 4 that had issues for me, because that shield bar is a death mark for a plasma, well, at least the ST50 I have anyway. None of the other HUD elements of that game cause issues because they're more transparent. If you read the IR thread, you'll get a feel for what types of games have a HUD that will cause IR issues.

All other games I've played don't have as bad of a static HUD, because most have a either more transparent HUDs, or the HUD fades off and on, a feature that would be really nice if developers offered as an in-game option.

Don't worry about the black bars on movies. I watch movies like that alot and it's not caused any IR problems with mine. But obviousy, if that's all you watch, there will eventually be uneven aging.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argster View Post

No, it hasn't gone away, that's why I said, "and it's not faded much, if at all". There's no silver bullet to remove it if it's serious IR or burnt in. It's going to just take a long time of viewing regular content to try and get it to go away. You might be able to reduce it enough so that's it's more tolerable at least. I've resolved to just live with it because there's not much else I can do, so why worry anymore.

What irritates me the most though, is that each time after gaming sessions, If I wasn't watching shows or a movie, I had let the TV run for 3 hours on full screen cable HD content until it auto shut off. I thought I was doing the right thing to mitigate any possible IR, but alas it didn't help much.

I still game on mine. It's only Halo 4 that had issues for me, because that shield bar is a death mark for a plasma, well, at least the ST50 I have anyway. None of the other HUD elements of that game cause issues because they're more transparent. If you read the IR thread, you'll get a feel for what types of games have a HUD that will cause IR issues.

All other games I've played don't have as bad of a static HUD, because most have a either more transparent HUDs, or the HUD fades off and on, a feature that would be really nice if developers offered as an in-game option.

Don't worry about the black bars on movies. I watch movies like that alot and it's not caused any IR problems with mine. But obviousy, if that's all you watch, there will eventually be uneven aging.

I bought a 32 inch Toshiba LCD to game on. Think I have to worry about halo burning in on that?
post #19 of 19 Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought a 32 inch Toshiba LCD to game on. Think I have to worry about halo burning in on that?

In rare cases it can if your LCD is defective, but almost no chance of it happening otherwise.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P55gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page