2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3471 Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok day 2 with this ST60 60 inch and i am in love smile.gif I feel like Buddy Elf LOL! So this is my first ever plasma! I been trying to stay away from logos just watching movies and net flicks. I tried doing the slides but no luck for some reason it wont let me do it from my mac i have tried usb and sd both for some reason run the slides then come up cant read files then 5 minutes runs the slides been to re format i dont know what the hell i am doing i am not no computer geek! I had a friend over that is good at computer help me with no luck. So my question is i just using standard setting? is that the setting i should start out with? Ok i know nothing about this settings what is C.a.t.s ? do i need it on or off what is motion smoother ? where do i set it? video NR i could use a little help that would be great if someone could steer me in the right path to start out! Not sure how picky people are on this but yes could this tv get better when it get broken in? Yes but out of the box i am very very impressed smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3471 Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rivers View Post

Ok day 2 with this ST60 60 inch and i am in love smile.gif I feel like Buddy Elf LOL! So this is my first ever plasma! I been trying to stay away from logos just watching movies and net flicks. I tried doing the slides but no luck for some reason it wont let me do it from my mac i have tried usb and sd both for some reason run the slides then come up cant read files then 5 minutes runs the slides been to re format i dont know what the hell i am doing i am not no computer geek! I had a friend over that is good at computer help me with no luck. So my question is i just using standard setting? is that the setting i should start out with? Ok i know nothing about this settings what is C.a.t.s ? do i need it on or off what is motion smoother ? where do i set it? video NR i could use a little help that would be great if someone could steer me in the right path to start out! Not sure how picky people are on this but yes could this tv get better when it get broken in? Yes but out of the box i am very very impressed smile.gif
Sounds like you should spend a little time reading the owners manual. Have you tried putting something else on a usb to make sure that there isnt something wrong with the tv?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #273 of 3471 Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

First, Congrats. Welcome to the Darkside. I have heard that people with MAC have trouble with the slides so it's not the tv. I don't own a mac but i'm pretty sure it just needs formatting the usb. What you are doing is already fine, try using Cnet settings to start in custom mode for the first 100hrs. Keep them or changed them if needed or get it professionally calibrated. Leave C.A.T.S. off. Leave motion smoother off. Motion smoother is the same as Motion interpolation. A form of video processing in which intermediate animation frames are generated between existing ones, in an attempt to make animation more fluid, and to compensate for display motion blur. Kind of like that fake looking Soap opera look LED's have.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboard, V. Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #274 of 3471 Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Ok day 2 with this ST60 60 inch and i am in love smile.gif I feel like Buddy Elf LOL! So this is my first ever plasma! I been trying to stay away from logos just watching movies and net flicks.
What you're doing so far is fine for someone with your experience.
Quote:
I tried doing the slides but no luck for some reason it wont let me do it from my mac i have tried usb and sd both for some reason run the slides then come up cant read files then 5 minutes runs the slides been to re format i dont know what the hell i am doing i am not no computer geek! I had a friend over that is good at computer help me with no luck.
I've seen that you've posted several times about using the slides and that you've had a lot of trouble getting them to run. I don't know how many hours you've run your new TV at this point, but you might be just as well off to skip the slides.
Quote:
So my question is i just using standard setting? is that the setting i should start out with? Ok i know nothing about this settings what is C.a.t.s ? do i need it on or off what is motion smoother ? where do i set it? video NR i could use a little help that would be great if someone could steer me in the right path to start out!
Basically you could select Home Cinema Mode and get into your manual the way that "007" suggested. Use your manual to read about each setting that sounds like it's intended to improve your picture quality (PQ). If it sounds like that's what the setting is for then select the OFF option. For instance Motion Smoother is supposed to make motion look smoother. Set it to OFF.

Contrast Automatic Tracking System (C.A.T.S.) is another PQ improver that should be set to OFF.

This suggestion might help you get started. Ask just one question at a time. Keep each post as short as possible, and read what you've written as if you are a stranger. Will a stranger understand the question you've ask?

Here's the first question that I would ask in the owner's thread for your display.

What settings should I turn off on my new TV?

Once you've got the answer to that question and you've figured out how to turn them all off, then go to the next question.
Quote:
... could this tv get better when it get broken in?
As it ages and you learn to improve it's settings, it should get better. biggrin.gif

Once you are comfortable with your TV and the menus that let you make changes, then look into using Custom Mode and some better settings than the ones that were set at the factory. Enjoy it the way your are now, and worry about making changes later.
post #275 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM

First i would like too thank you Bond007 Latino Heat htwaits you have been very helpful! yes i should read the owners manual lol .....i guess i got to excited and just TV biggrin.gif As far ar computer goes i don`t know how to say this not very smart when it comes to computers...i know the basics but that`s it! When you say format the usb i don`t know i had a friend but he must be not much help because he could not help! But reading back on page 5 Pop Zeus had the same problem as me. Well besides that it could be me but watching Bourne Identity which i DVR off HBO during the fighting scenes things seem to jump back and forth really fast from left to right? Maybe its jump be being picky or jump maybe its been like this in the movie i just don`t remember? Besides that it can be fuzzy at times but hey i only notice this on a blue ray weird i know? But no complaint at all I sure these things will get better from age well i hope so? I must say coming from a 40 to a 60 wow!!!! My tiny TV stand look so wrong with my new TV but it will have to wait for a while until i can come up with some dough smile.gif Again thank you all that have been very helpful on this site.
post #276 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 10
So, ive had my Panasonic 60" s60 for almost a week now and am super happy with the TV. Mine does have an audible buzz but i am not able to hear it from where i view the TV even if the volume is muted. I am having one problem though and was really looking for some insight.

I have a cable box and PS3 being fed into a HDMI switcher. Then the HDMI switcher is plugged into a Darbee Darblet and into the TV. The problem i am having is that for some reason my PS3 input seems to cut in and out. When i power up the PS3 the TV will first say that i does not see a signal on the input. Then it will cut in and out between actually displaying the PS3, showing static, and showing a black screen stating it doesnt see a signal on the input. it will cycle between these three screens and no specific time interval but usually doesnt stay on any of the three for more than a few seconds. I cannot trace what is causing the issue and i think it has to be an incompatibility or something in the TV. I had this exact same set up working fine on a Vizio LED i temporarily had. I have also tried troubleshooting the issue by swapping out the HDMI cable but the issue remained. I know its not an issue with the PS3 because it will work when plugged directly in the TV. Also, i dont think the switcher is the issue because my cable box works and it is plugged into the switcher as well.

I would really appreciate any helpful input on this issue. Thank you in advance.

P.S. the only complaint i would have about the picture quality is that whites appear a bit dim/grey but i believe that is mostly a plasma thing.
post #277 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannchild View Post

P.S. the only complaint i would have about the picture quality is that whites appear a bit dim/grey but i believe that is mostly a plasma thing.

Yeah, that's inherent to the plasma tech.. at least this set is much brighter than precious plasmas..

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #278 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

So, ive had my Panasonic 60" s60 for almost a week now and am super happy with the TV. Mine does have an audible buzz but i am not able to hear it from where i view the TV even if the volume is muted. I am having one problem though and was really looking for some insight.

I have a cable box and PS3 being fed into a HDMI switcher. Then the HDMI switcher is plugged into a Darbee Darblet and into the TV. The problem i am having is that for some reason my PS3 input seems to cut in and out. When i power up the PS3 the TV will first say that i does not see a signal on the input. Then it will cut in and out between actually displaying the PS3, showing static, and showing a black screen stating it doesnt see a signal on the input. it will cycle between these three screens and no specific time interval but usually doesnt stay on any of the three for more than a few seconds. I cannot trace what is causing the issue and i think it has to be an incompatibility or something in the TV. I had this exact same set up working fine on a Vizio LED i temporarily had. I have also tried troubleshooting the issue by swapping out the HDMI cable but the issue remained. I know its not an issue with the PS3 because it will work when plugged directly in the TV. Also, i dont think the switcher is the issue because my cable box works and it is plugged into the switcher as well.

I would really appreciate any helpful input on this issue. Thank you in advance.

The issue with the playstation seems to be fixed by changing a color setting in the playstation.
post #279 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got my 60" ST running with D-Nice's settings. I ran slides for 4 hours before changing settings and watching blu-ray. For those of you freaking out about running slides before watching, stop worrying. D-Nice's settings look great as long as you turn the motion interpolation/smoother off. I have audible buzz 10 feet away when showing light colored slides, will watch movie and see if I can hear. May have to call and get the board screws tightened as many have said they can't hear it from that far. Otherwise very happy with set.
post #280 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

[snip]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Yeah, that's inherent to the plasma tech.. at least this set is much brighter than precious plasmas..

Whites are white when a plasma is calibrated properly. Dim/gray whites are not inherent to the plasma technology.

Larry
post #281 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Whites are white when a plasma is calibrated properly. Dim/gray whites are not inherent to the plasma technology.

Uh... plasmas dim VERY significantly when displaying high APL content. Calibration does nothing to change that.
post #282 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

Uh... plasmas dim VERY significantly when displaying high APL content. Calibration does nothing to change that.

High APL does trigger ABL and that, in turn, dims the white but ABL was not mentioned.

Larry
post #283 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post

I have audible buzz 10 feet away when showing light colored slides, will watch movie and see if I can hear. May have to call and get the board screws tightened as many have said they can't hear it from that far. Otherwise very happy with set.

Tightening screws both internal and external did not have any effect on the buzzing of my 50ST60 and S60 samples. Both are equipped with the lock washers, the absence of which caused a different buzzing problem in last year's models. I've now had two ST60s and one S60, manufactured in Jan/Feb/Mar 2013, and they all buzzed similarly, easily audible in a quiet room from 10 feet while watching high APL scenes, with CATS off and Contrast at reasonable levels between 60-80. When present, it's noticeable unless the background music/noise is constant and above what I would call a low but still usable level. The reviews posted here for the ST60 and F8500 noted buzz at 6' and 8-9' in a store environment. The Flatpanelshd ST60 review commented on the ST60 buzz, noting "No real improvements in this area, sadly."
post #284 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Sawfish,
Thanks for clarifying the buzz. Others have said they couldn't hear unless they put ears to set during white slides but that is definitely NOT my experience either. Buzzing clearly audible while running D-Nice's list-colored slides, will watch movie tonight and see if it bothers me. Am also worried about amount of heat produced, have had slides running for about 8 hours and it's fairly warm in the room. Compared picture to best LED TVs (Sony 950 and Elite), preferred it to those but these issues may be deal breakers for me, will see.
post #285 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I must be one of the lucky ones. I can only hear a slight buzz when I put my ear right next to the back of the tv in a quiet room. This is during running the slides.

Thank you D-Nice for the settings. smile.gif
post #286 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

Larry

Guess it depends how you define white.. 😉

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #287 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Guess it depends how you define white.. 😉

I define white as x = 0.3127 and y = 0.3290 on a CIE chart -- in other words the D65 point. tongue.gif

Larry
post #288 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I define white as x = 0.3127 and y = 0.3290 on a CIE chart -- in other words the D65 point. tongue.gif

Larry

Yes. People who complain about whites in a Plasma probably are not seeing a properly calibrated set. People who love the whites in an LCD at Best Buy are probably not seeing true white but more of a bluish white that is far from proper specs.
post #289 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Could someone tell me how the VT60's compare to a Kuro in ISF Day mode as far as peak luminance? I have been trying to get the VT's in stores to match the brightness of my Kuro 151HD and I just cannot get it to match. The set looks a bit more dull. I need that brighter level to get a Plasma to work in daytime in my room. Are there any settings within calibration modes that will get the VT60 a little brighter?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #290 of 3471 Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Could someone tell me how the VT60's compare to a Kuro in ISF Day mode as far as peak luminance? I have been trying to get the VT's in stores to match the brightness of my Kuro 151HD and I just cannot get it to match. The set looks a bit more dull. I need that brighter level to get a Plasma to work in daytime in my room. Are there any settings within calibration modes that will get the VT60 a little brighter?

D-Nice's ISF Day mode for the 500M was calibrated at 52.84 ftl. Chad B calibrated the ST60 at 51.4 ftl. I would think the VT60 should be able to reach similar peak calibrated luminance as the ST60.
post #291 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

D-Nice's ISF Day mode for the 500M was calibrated at 52.84 ftl. Chad B calibrated the ST60 at 51.4 ftl. I would think the VT60 should be able to reach similar peak calibrated luminance as the ST60.

Hate to nitpick, but depending on the size of your window pattern, you can get different peak white readings. Then you have the question about linearity. Does the highest peak white setting not screw up other things?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #292 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Has anyone found a ST vs. VT comparison review yet ?
post #293 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

I wonder if the VT60 an ZT60 sacrifice higher peak white levels for lower black levels?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #294 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

RESERVED..

D-Nice, can I ask if any of these Reserved locations will be used for S60 or even better, S64 settings?

Thanks for all the work!

MD
post #295 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 PM

I ran the slides and applied D-nice's settings. I'm getting some horrible red tinting on black screens (if I walk up to the display I can see the red phosphors lighting up randomly). I tried lowering red hue/saturation/lumin all the way down and it didn't get rid of them. Any ideas?
post #296 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by el aye View Post

I ran the slides and applied D-nice's settings. I'm getting some horrible red tinting on black screens (if I walk up to the display I can see the red phosphors lighting up randomly). I tried lowering red hue/saturation/lumin all the way down and it didn't get rid of them. Any ideas?

This means that brightness is set too high for your set. Lower the Brightness setting one tick at a time till all the red dithering is gone. You can do this by looking at an all black screen or popping in a blu-ray with letterbox black bars (2.35 ratio movies are the best since you have the largest black bars) and lowering Brightness till you don't see the dithering.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #297 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I noticed the same thing. As much as I appreciate D-nice doing all the work; I have been using C-net's settings. C-net's settings are not perfect, but much less red.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-590736/panasonic-tc-p55st60-picture-settings/

However... I did use gamma setting 2.4 instead of 2.2 and I also used warm 1 instead of warm 2. Just an FYI

There is no TV too BIG, only rooms too small
post #298 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanks. Set brightness from +1 to -3 and it went away.
post #299 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Have watched 2 movies and buzzing has not been noticeable even during quiet passages. Also, heat has not been an issue. Considering the image quality and how much less expensive the ST60 is compared to 950 and Elite LEDs I am planning to keep the set unless something comes up.
post #300 of 3471 Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

This means that brightness is set too high for your set. Lower the Brightness setting one tick at a time till all the red dithering is gone. You can do this by looking at an all black screen or popping in a blu-ray with letterbox black bars (2.35 ratio movies are the best since you have the largest black bars) and lowering Brightness till you don't see the dithering.

Quote:

Thanks. Set brightness from +1 to -3 and it went away.
Good call on that! Should post this over in the ST60 thread.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page