post #2971 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting most out of my 65VT60

What is the best advice for gradually getting the most out of my 65VT60 at each stage of the first few 100 hours?

Is there a post or a thread or a website that details how to get the most out of the xxVT60 tv's?

At the moment, I am at 80+ hours of full screen. I am watching with moderate contrast (60-70) in cinema for most content, full screen TV, Netflix, dvd's and BD's. All I have done is turned off all the NR, motion smoother, ABL, CATS etc etc and that's about it. I think I notice the green cast in shadows on faces but its subtle. My living room is moderately lit but not bright, and I can make it a little darker. In late afternoon and at night I tend to watch as dark as possible.

1) Where can I find CNET, Dnice and Silly Sally settings to try for now while I am putting on the hours? I will check CNET for the VT60 settings. Are these good settings to start with? Any other settings to try?

2) Is it a reasonable to start playing with calibration settings with discs like the AVS 709, Spears and Munsil and/or Disney Wow after 100 Hours?

3) Where can I look to get the equipment and knowledge to work on calibrating my TV on my own after 300 hours? The calbration forums?

thanks in advance for any info

smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
I realize this may have been answered before, but I tried to google and search this thread but couldn't find the answer. When I am in the settings and go to the advanced w/b settings. I don't see a choice to enter the ten point settings. It only gives you one choice per color. On my Samsung 64d800 I did it no problem. I see that the Ire gives you the choice to change the ire from 100 to any denomination of tens but don't see how to set each one individually. Also, silly sally and cnet don't seem to have adjustments for the color scale. Should I just leave them at the default? I will probably end up getting it professionally calibrated but never do that until the warranty return policy is up and wanted to try the various settings posted here. Also, Do you have to buy the software from controlcal to access d-nice settings? I can't seem to find them otherwise.

THANKS!
post #2973 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by if200 View Post

I realize this may have been answered before, but I tried to google and search this thread but couldn't find the answer. When I am in the settings and go to the advanced w/b settings. I don't see a choice to enter the ten point settings. It only gives you one choice per color. On my Samsung 64d800 I did it no problem. I see that the Ire gives you the choice to change the ire from 100 to any denomination of tens but don't see how to set each one individually. Also, silly sally and cnet don't seem to have adjustments for the color scale. Should I just leave them at the default? I will probably end up getting it professionally calibrated but never do that until the warranty return policy is up and wanted to try the various settings posted here. Also, Do you have to buy the software from controlcal to access d-nice settings? I can't seem to find them otherwise.

THANKS!

What model TV do you have?
There are several entries for silly sally and cnet settings on here-you just have to search for them. I seem to remember that one of them lacked the complete settings as you mentioned, but the others are complete. There is no need to buy control cal or access that website. Finally, nothing that you would do with settings (unless you're trying hard) will void a warranty.

That said, I will PM you settings for cnet, silly sally and sound & vision. The changes I made are in red..
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #2974 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

Struggling to get acceptable light output on my 60ST60.
Panel was a demo with 2600 hours running at Vivid the entire time.
When I put up a white field I see no burn or IR.
However I do see sections of red tint or as we used to refer to in the CRT days as red blooming.

Using a windowed pattern at 100IRE on custom with dnice recommended settings and contrast at 79 I'm seeing just under 13ftl.
On Vivid with no adjustments I see 27ftl.
Also we dnice's setting I'm seeing some odd results from calman. Please see below. Note: If I keep the panel I plan on a full calibration.

The question that I have is the panel shot and I should return it?
Or???
Thanks in advance for any insight and help.

TL

Note: I do not have 107 or 108 pattern

If I were you I would leave Dnice's settings alone and calibrate from a fresh start in Movie Mode or Custom, which ever you prefer. I would start from defaults. His settings do not apply to your particular set, suprise , suprise, actually not really, his settings made my greyscale way too red in the blacks, shadows and the rest of the greyscale , I have a ST60. Gamma avg is also low, meaning the each step is likely brighter then it should be. From the pictures you posted, your greyscale errors are all way to high and in the visible range they should be well below 3 even below 1. Just start fresh from factory defaults. This might also solve your problem with your light output being so low.

I forgot to mention that you should be using 10% window pattern size . I use GCD or Gamut Calibration Disk this has the pattern that you need.
chunon likes this.
post #2975 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

If I were you I would leave Dnice's settings alone and calibrate from a fresh start in Movie Mode or Custom, which ever you prefer. I would start from defaults. His settings do not apply to your particular set, suprise , suprise, actually not really, his settings made my greyscale way too red in the blacks, shadows and the rest of the greyscale , I have a ST60. Gamma avg is also low, meaning the each step is likely brighter then it should be. From the pictures you posted, your greyscale errors are all way to high and in the visible range they should be well below 3 even below 1. Just start fresh from factory defaults. This might also solve your problem with your light output being so low.

I agree. This will sound like heresy on here but the only thing D'Nice's settings did for me was drive home the fact that other peoples' settings usually don't do much for your set in your particular setting. At best, they are a starting point. Maybe.
And in my personal experience, other peoples' settings (no matter who those people are) are more driven by the environment the sets were in than the sets themselves or the proficiency of the calibrator. In short, its a crapshoot.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #2976 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Getting most out of my 65VT60

What is the best advice for gradually getting the most out of my 65VT60 at each stage of the first few 100 hours?

Is there a post or a thread or a website that details how to get the most out of the xxVT60 tv's?

At the moment, I am at 80+ hours of full screen. I am watching with moderate contrast (60-70) in cinema for most content, full screen TV, Netflix, dvd's and BD's. All I have done is turned off all the NR, motion smoother, ABL, CATS etc etc and that's about it. I think I notice the green cast in shadows on faces but its subtle. My living room is moderately lit but not bright, and I can make it a little darker. In late afternoon and at night I tend to watch as dark as possible.

1) Where can I find CNET, Dnice and Silly Sally settings to try for now while I am putting on the hours? I will check CNET for the VT60 settings. Are these good settings to start with? Any other settings to try?

2) Is it a reasonable to start playing with calibration settings with discs like the AVS 709, Spears and Munsil and/or Disney Wow after 100 Hours?

3) Where can I look to get the equipment and knowledge to work on calibrating my TV on my own after 300 hours? The calbration forums?

thanks in advance for any info

smile.gif

Not to be rude but all of your questions are addressed in this forum. The best way to get the most from your TV and from this forum is to read thru the numerous posts and THEN when you have questions, ask them.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #2977 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Try the 10% apl patterns on this disc, let me know what reading you get:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406352/gcd-gamut-calibration-disk

Used the 10% APL pattern @ 100% white and am seeing 20ftl on the Custom mode.
On default Vivid I'm seeing 32ftl, but contrast is 100%.
I keep reading about 50ftl out of the box
I think something is wrong with my panel...
Any other ideas?
post #2978 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Used the 10% APL pattern @ 100% white and am seeing 20ftl on the Custom mode.
On default Vivid I'm seeing 32ftl, but contrast is 100%.
I keep reading about 50ftl out of the box
I think something is wrong with my panel...
Any other ideas?

Panel brightness at mid?
CATS off?

My Panasonic 60ST60 Settings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2979 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Panel brightness at mid?
CATS off?

Yes both.
Could it be my meter or placement of my meter?
Its an old xrite hubble https://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=986
Its never been calibrated but have compared it to my fiends Photo Research and is was close.
Also about a foot 1/2 away from the screen.
post #2980 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Yes both.
Could it be my meter or placement of my meter?
Its an old xrite hubble https://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=986
Its never been calibrated but have compared it to my fiends Photo Research and is was close.
Also about a foot 1/2 away from the screen.

What is the value when within an inch or so from the screen?

Larry
post #2981 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Hi everybody,

Im sorry if this has been covered already but I couldnt find an answer. My ZT60 65 inch has banding on the right side. I bought this tv in September. Has anybody experienced this problem? What did you go? ANy feedback would be greatly appreciated!
post #2982 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

What is the value when within an inch or so from the screen?

Larry

About two inches away on the default setting Vivid using a 10% APL 100% white field I see 45.5 ftl.
With contrast set to 78 I see 28ftl.
Panel brightness is set to mid in both cases.
How are people getting 50ftl calibrated??
post #2983 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco Salamanca View Post

Hi everybody,

Im sorry if this has been covered already but I couldnt find an answer. My ZT60 65 inch has banding on the right side. I bought this tv in September. Has anybody experienced this problem? What did you go? ANy feedback would be greatly appreciated!

If you mean the single vertical line about an inch or so in from the right edge, don't worry about it. We all have that -- probably due to the manufacturing process.

Larry
post #2984 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Its a few vertical lines and they are very thin. Interesting that all sets have this hmm...
post #2985 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About two inches away on the default setting Vivid using a 10% APL 100% white field I see 45.5 ftl.

45 ftL is quite respectable. But get out of Vivid and set your picture mode to Custom or one of the Pro modes.

Chad B has figured a way to get over 50 ftL in a Pro mode but you'll have to PM him for instructions. It is not an intuitive method. But why anyone would want a picture that bright is beyond me. smile.gif

Larry
post #2986 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its a few vertical lines and they are very thin. Interesting that all sets have this hmm...

Seems that all the Panasonic 65VT60 sets have it. Sorry if I implied that all plasmas do.

Larry
post #2987 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Oh no, Im sorry. You were very clear. I should have been more specific in my reply. Just curious, you said all VTs have it. I have a ZT, would it be the same difference regarding the banding?
post #2988 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh no, Im sorry. You were very clear. I should have been more specific in my reply. Just curious, you said all VTs have it. I have a ZT, would it be the same difference regarding the banding?

I don't know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me.

Larry
post #2989 of 3458 Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

Yes.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2990 of 3458 Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

Confirm for me that the eco mode is set to "standard". I can get 50ftl out of my st quite easily in custom mode, if fact I can get 46ftl with a contrast of 85 in cinema. Perhaps it is something with your meter

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2991 of 3458 Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I think you mean to say Chad B can get those high FtL's. He uses a Jeti 1211, and from what I am seeing that is the meter to use for those very high FtL's.

That said if your viewing room has somewhat controled lighting you are better off using FtL's around the mid 30's. wink.gif

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #2992 of 3458 Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

It has been present with ZTs as well and has a tendency to disappear as you put more hours on the display. It has been discussed in great length on both threads, especially when folks starting buying them soon after their release. I don't know of anyone who has noticed them on either display while watching the usual fair regardless of the hours. After a few hundred hours I didn't notice them on my VT while running the lighter slides.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #2993 of 3458 Old 02-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Confirm for me that the eco mode is set to "standard". I can get 50ftl out of my st quite easily in custom mode, if fact I can get 46ftl with a contrast of 85 in cinema. Perhaps it is something with your meter
Yes Eco is on standard.
New meter on the way.
Will report back
Thanks for all your help.
post #2994 of 3458 Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Chad B came out to calibrate my 65VT60 and I was extremely pleased with him and his work. He is truly a professional all the way around! Here are my calibrations reports.

Pan65VT60Pro1.pdfpanelbrighthigh 1356k .pdf file

Pan65VT60Pro2reference.pdfBT1886 1370k .pdf file

Pan65VT60Pro13D.pdf 597k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pan65VT60Pro1.pdf (1.32 MB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf Pan65VT60Pro2reference.pdf (1.34 MB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf Pan65VT60Pro13D.pdf (596.8 KB, 35 views)
Chere likes this.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #2995 of 3458 Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Chad B came out to calibrate my 65VT60 and I was extremely pleased with him and his work.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #2996 of 3458 Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

Yes Eco is on standard.
New meter on the way.
Will report back
Thanks for all your help.

No problem, what meter did you buy ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2997 of 3458 Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 AM

Liked: 12
I have the VT60 , 55 inch plasma. Before I get to my minor issue, Ill say that this picture is incredibly good. Insane black levels and contrast, even compared to the 2012 gt50 that I just swapped it out for. Due to getting yellow blotches on the screen. Maybe some type of image retention. This is the first tv to possibly defeat my old sony crt HDTV, 34 inch. I didnt think flat panels would reach this level.

The only issue I have right now is maybe a non issue. I can see extremely thin and faint vertical lines on a white screen or very light colored background. They look like extremely slight image retention, a very subtle shadow that is very hard to see even on a white screen. I really have to stare at the screen. Now that I am familiar with them I will see them on some light backgrounds though. Is this a screen damage issue? The tv was like this from day one and I only noticed it on the screen wipe mode. Now I can notice it on very light screens. Im not sure if this is just how these panels or constructed or if its an issue. I didnt have that particular issue with last years model. The picture is so good on this set that Im reluctant to exchange it again. Ive read that vertical lines can be normal on these sets. Does anyone have faint vertical lines like that on the screen? Extremely faint as mentioned. Invisible with most backgrounds.

If anyone can shed some light on this issue I would appreciate it

Thanks
post #2998 of 3458 Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Is it more noticeable when the screen pans left/right? It might be DSE (dirty screen effect)
post #2999 of 3458 Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Is it more noticeable when the screen pans left/right? It might be DSE (dirty screen effect)

Appreciate the feedback. I only use the set for gaming. Would aiming in a first person shooter pan the screen like you say? Its so minimal that I dont think I could take a picture of the effect. I notice with the scrolling black and white bars (screen wipe feature) that I can see it in a number of places on the screen. The lines are extremely faint and probably only a few milimeters thick, if that. I wouldnt be able to measure them because I have to stare at the screen and step away at different distances often to try and spot them.

Its impossible for me to see most of the time. Only in very light backgrounds and even then very hard to notice.

Would dirty screen effect make small perfectly straight vertical lines like that? What causes the dirty screen effect exactly. Im not sure this is it. Thanks again
post #3000 of 3458 Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Beast View Post

Appreciate the feedback. I only use the set for gaming. Would aiming in a first person shooter pan the screen like you say? Its so minimal that I dont think I could take a picture of the effect. I notice with the scrolling black and white bars (screen wipe feature) that I can see it in a number of places on the screen. The lines are extremely faint and probably only a few milimeters thick, if that. I wouldnt be able to measure them because I have to stare at the screen and step away at different distances often to try and spot them.

Its impossible for me to see most of the time. Only in very light backgrounds and even then very hard to notice.

Would dirty screen effect make small perfectly straight vertical lines like that? What causes the dirty screen effect exactly. Im not sure this is it. Thanks again

I can't explain DSE very well myself but here is a link that might help it also talks about line bleed too.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_10.html
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page