post #3241 of 3409 Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Let me ask an ignorant question here. For those who are calibrators, are there certain settings that you think should always be "off" or always "on" when doing a calibration?

I've passed 300 hours on my ZT60 and I want to calibrate with my Spears and Muncil disc.

Obviously having certain settings enabled or disabled has the potential of affecting the calibration and post-calibration viewing
Any 'automatic' or 'enhancing' settings should be off, such as edge enhancement, dynamic contrast, AGC, CATS etc.
Thxtheater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3409 Old 04-05-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok...I am trying to figuresomething with my st60

When watching hdtv with hdmi cables whenevr there is motion on the screen, everything blurs...
I am watching other peoples tvs and it doesn't. My picture looks pretty soft as well and it is srarting to drive me nuts.

Does anyone else have this problem with the blurring?

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
post #3243 of 3409 Old 04-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post

Ok...I am trying to figuresomething with my st60

When watching hdtv with hdmi cables whenevr there is motion on the screen, everything blurs...
I am watching other peoples tvs and it doesn't. My picture looks pretty soft as well and it is srarting to drive me nuts.

Does anyone else have this problem with the blurring?

Can you provide some additional details such as: is this Bluray or cable TV. when you say blur is this blur a square pattern or squares? Does this "disappear" when you use component connections?

Do you have a picture of the screen to show what you are seeing?

post #3244 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Chad B. or D-Nice (or any calibrator),

Do you know if there is a way in the service menu to defeat the slight amount of artificial edge enhancement that exists in the 'Mid' and 'High' modes for the 2013 Panasonics? I notice running it in 'Low' Panel Brightness mode, any trace of edge enhancement is gone, but I miss the increased brightness running it in 'Mid'. For the record, I have my Sharpness set at 0 and all other artificial enhancements turned off. I'm sending primarily 1080p/24fps from my Blu-ray player directly, i.e. with no enhancements. I have the TV set -- with the latest firmware -- to 1080p direct mode, though I notice the same amount of artificial EE with 1080p direct turned off. Mind you, it's only a slight amount of EE, but it's none the less there and none the less irks me. I strongly desire to defeat it if possible, and I would think others would as well.
post #3245 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Chad B. or D-Nice (or any calibrator),

Do you know if there is a way in the service menu to defeat the slight amount of artificial edge enhancement that exists in the 'Mid' and 'High' modes for the 2013 Panasonics? I notice running it in 'Low' Panel Brightness mode, any trace of edge enhancement is gone, but I miss the increased brightness running it in 'Mid'. For the record, I have my Sharpness set at 0 and all other artificial enhancements turned off. I'm sending primarily 1080p/24fps from my Blu-ray player directly, i.e. with no enhancements. I have the TV set -- with the latest firmware -- to 1080p direct mode, though I notice the same amount of artificial EE with 1080p direct turned off. Mind you, it's only a slight amount of EE, but it's none the less there and none the less irks me. I strongly desire to defeat it if possible, and I would think others would as well.

Do not venture into the service menu it won't help you. All the controls you need to calibrate the set is in the user menu. I know that in one review they mention that the 1080p direct mode is the cause of extrenious EE. This setting is best left off. Since your sharpness setting is already at zero this is the best it's going to get. If Low panel luminance has no edge enhancement at all then leave it in that mode but increase your contrast. I would use a meter to measure your light output and then check to see if you are discoloring whites , clipping or causing eye strain when you increase the light output of the set by increasing the contrast.
post #3246 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Any 'automatic' or 'enhancing' settings should be off, such as edge enhancement, dynamic contrast, AGC, CATS etc.

Thanks Rahzel

post #3247 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Can you provide some additional details such as: is this Bluray or cable TV. when you say blur is this blur a square pattern or squares? Does this "disappear" when you use component connections?

Do you have a picture of the screen to show what you are seeing?

Hey there...
I am experiencing the normal 24p Judder on blu rays, but what I am talking about is cable.  I know cable signals range from awful to great, so maybe it is just that, but I don't think so.

Take a hockey game for example.  I was watching a game the other night on my buddys tv (he has a samsung f5500) but for example the hockey player is moving across the screen.  On his set, the players name stays pretty much in focus and can be read even in motion.  On my ST60 - not a chance - just blur.  Anything that moves faster than a snail gets blurry more on my tv than any one elses tv.  Take the logos on the hockey boards for example - mine are completely unreadable when the camera pans across the ice, but are readable on my friends tv.

It's just frustrating.....

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
post #3248 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

Do not venture into the service menu it won't help you. All the controls you need to calibrate the set is in the user menu. I know that in one review they mention that the 1080p direct mode is the cause of extrenious EE. This setting is best left off. Since your sharpness setting is already at zero this is the best it's going to get. If Low panel luminance has no edge enhancement at all then leave it in that mode but increase your contrast. I would use a meter to measure your light output and then check to see if you are discoloring whites , clipping or causing eye strain when you increase the light output of the set by increasing the contrast.

Can you link that review, I do not notice this at all

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #3249 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 447
I watch hockey all the time have never seem either of those issues got to be your feed or your set is defective

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3250 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 293
1080 P pure direct is a good thing on the VT and ZT. It sharpens color transitions without causing edge enhancement.
On the ST 60 it does cause edge enhancement and is best left off.
Gov likes this.
post #3251 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

1080 P pure direct is a good thing on the VT and ZT. It sharpens color transitions without causing edge enhancement.
On the ST 60 it does cause edge enhancement and is best left off.

The edge enhancement in 1080p direct mode on the ST60 and S60 has been fixed with the latest firmware.
Chad B likes this.
post #3252 of 3409 Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
thanks d for the day mode calibration settings. As someone who lives in Canada, I don't have the luxury of having several calibrators to choose from! So the posting of these settings is really appreciated from folks north of the border!

As great as it is to finally have some Day settings for my zt60 I was surprised to see the skin tones and color temp was very very different from S&Vs night mode which is my most used picture mode.

I know it could be panel variance to some degree but if it isn't, would it be possible for you D-Nice to slightly modify the settings to remove the greenish skin tones and make the picture a tad more warmer?

I know beggars can't be choosers but after noticing green skin tones from thx day mode it's hard for me to forget what it looks like.

Overall though the day mode posted by you is very helpful for my needs. Thank you kind sir!

Ps: i did some night time viewing in day mode with little ambient room light and the increased brightness from day mode really had an effect against the ultra black filter. The blacks were superb....soo dark and inky. Especially on the hbo logo, it was a real treat. And if I didn't know any better I would say it looked very OLED ish....this was only on content that featured high contrasting scenes like GAme of thrones, etc

I'm still looking for a calibrator in Canada willing to travel to my city so I could have my fully calibrated day mode done on my zt

P.p.s: how bright does the zt get in day mode anyway? What am I looking at?
post #3253 of 3409 Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i wait anxiously for darker room settings?
post #3254 of 3409 Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

thanks d for the day mode calibration settings. As someone who lives in Canada, I don't have the luxury of having several calibrators to choose from! So the posting of these settings is really appreciated from folks north of the border!

As great as it is to finally have some Day settings for my zt60 I was surprised to see the skin tones and color temp was very very different from S&Vs night mode which is my most used picture mode.

I know it could be panel variance to some degree but if it isn't, would it be possible for you D-Nice to slightly modify the settings to remove the greenish skin tones and make the picture a tad more warmer?

I know beggars can't be choosers but after noticing green skin tones from thx day mode it's hard for me to forget what it looks like.

Overall though the day mode posted by you is very helpful for my needs. Thank you kind sir!

Ps: i did some night time viewing in day mode with little ambient room light and the increased brightness from day mode really had an effect against the ultra black filter. The blacks were superb....soo dark and inky. Especially on the hbo logo, it was a real treat. And if I didn't know any better I would say it looked very OLED ish....this was only on content that

featured high contrasting scenes like GAme of thrones, etc

I'm still looking for a calibrator in Canada willing to travel to my city so I could have my fully calibrated day mode done on my zt

As noted in the S&V article, to get rid of the green tint, push your sources to output in YCbCr instead of RGB.
post #3255 of 3409 Old 04-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

I put in D nice settings as shown on page 1 of this thread For my vt65. color gammit is listed as normal incorrectly. Should it be native or rec. 7:09?
post #3256 of 3409 Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionorion View Post

As noted in the S&V article, to get rid of the green tint, push your sources to output in YCbCr instead of RGB.

i wasnt reffering to the S&V settings i was reffering to D-nice and his day mode settings. the picture is brighter but faces look green like folks are feeling sick. and the color temp is cool. doesnt seem as warm as it should be. just wanted to know if there was any adjustment i could make to just slighlty decrease the green skintones and make the picture seem warmer
post #3257 of 3409 Old 04-07-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

I put in D nice settings as shown on page 1 of this thread For my vt65. color gammit is listed as normal incorrectly. Should it be native or rec. 7:09?

For a normal type of calibration Color Gamut is best set to REC 709. For a Large LUT type of calibration the Color Gamut should be set to native.

Native in the case of the VT/ZT60 means wide (bigger) Color Gamut.

D-Nice's settings are for a normal type of calibration and therefore should be set to REC 709

ss
post #3258 of 3409 Old 04-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

not sure I'm reading audio vision settings for VT60 correctly. Can someone confirm for me these settings are right for 2d on pro mode warm 2 mode:

W/B detail adjustment:

My confusion comes from what i presume to be a typo. Values are for mid/high when they should be for low/high. Also what appears a typo in the collum right below this one is this:
W/B Detail Adjust. (32D)
Mid High
Red –15 11
Green 0 0
Blue –6 –1

I assume this is just for 3d and the 2 in 3d2 is another typo? Here is a link to sound and vision settings
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings
post #3259 of 3409 Old 04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

These are the settings for High/Low W/B
W/B Detail Adjust. (2D)
Mid High
Red –7 10
Green –1 4
Blue 14 –3

These are the settings for Detail W/B at there stim levels.
More (W/B) Detail Adjustment (2D)
Input Signal Level R G B
10 0 6 –1
20 –6 –10 7
30 2 –2 0
40 5 2 –2
50 5 4 –4
60 5 0 –7
70 5 2 –2
80 3 3 –4
90 1 2 –4
100 2 2 –5

imo you are better off using THX day or night settings.

ss
post #3260 of 3409 Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

I Dont understand why your using the term "mid" for w/b detail adjustment page. Is the following correct for sound and vision W/b detail aadjustment :

W/B high R 10
W/B high G 4
W/B high B -3

W/B low R -7
W/B low G -1
W/B LOW B 14
post #3261 of 3409 Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Referring to panel brightness that would be my guess?
post #3262 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I don't know if it is better to ask this here or in the TC-PxxST60 thread. I tried searching both threads for mention of this, but no, I didn't read all 519 pages of them, so sue me if I'm asking about something that has already been discussed.

I have a 55" ST60, which was delivered to me (IIRC) at the very end of the September. The brightness has always been pretty awful, but I've recently noticed that it has -- according to my meter -- gotten even worse since I first acquired the TV. Has anyone else witnessed this with 2013 Panasonic plasmas?
These are measurements taken with my ColorMunki Display:
Code:
.                October 2013    April 2014
Full-field White:   13 fL          11.8 fL
ANSI White:         24.5 fL        22.7 fL
Peak White:         52 Fl          49 fL
post #3263 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't noticed anything like that with my set, has about 1000 hours on it. Have you tried to calibrate in high panel brightness mode ? Isnt there a possibility your calibration has drited causing a loss in overall luminance ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #3264 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

I don't know if it is better to ask this here or in the TC-PxxST60 thread. I tried searching both threads for mention of this, but no, I didn't read all 519 pages of them, so sue me if I'm asking about something that has already been discussed.

I have a 55" ST60, which was delivered to me (IIRC) at the very end of the September. The brightness has always been pretty awful, but I've recently noticed that it has -- according to my meter -- gotten even worse since I first acquired the TV. Has anyone else witnessed this with 2013 Panasonic plasmas?
These are measurements taken with my ColorMunki Display:
Code:
.                October 2013    April 2014
Full-field White:   13 fL          11.8 fL
ANSI White:         24.5 fL        22.7 fL
Peak White:         52 Fl          49 fL

Dear Mechanical Man,

I haven't had my display as long as yours nor do I have the ability to measure FLs. I haven't noticed anything on my display after several hundred hours of viewing.

post #3265 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I haven't noticed anything like that with my set, has about 1000 hours on it. Have you tried to calibrate in high panel brightness mode ? Isnt there a possibility your calibration has drited causing a loss in overall luminance ?

I've never tried a calibration with high panel brightness because, IIRC, it was no brighter than mid when I checked it, and there seemed to be a consensus from pro reviewers/calibrators that high panel brightness resulted in less accuracy with no actual brightness increase. My meter is on my ST60 right now, so I'll check measurements with high panel brightness...

High panel brightness improves my full-field white measurement from ~11.8 fL to ~12.1 fL -- obviously not an appreciable difference, and still worse than mid panel brightness when the TV was new. My 10% window luminance increases from ~40 fL to ~41 fL (at 83 contrast) by switching to high panel brightness, but that's meaningless since I'm targeting 40 and can reach ~49 with mid panel brightness (at 100 contrast). There isn't a measurable difference between high and mid panel brightness with a 4x4 ANSI pattern (~22.7 fL for both).
post #3266 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Chad was able to squeeze over 50ftl out of the VT/ZTs in high panel brightness, was just a thought. I have never found the brightness lacking on the ST do you have a very bright viewing area ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #3267 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

I Dont understand why your using the term "mid" for w/b detail adjustment page. Is the following correct for sound and vision W/b detail aadjustment :

W/B high R 10
W/B high G 4
W/B high B -3

W/B low R -7
W/B low G -1
W/B LOW B 14

I am not using the term mid.
I used the term "These are the settings for High/Low W/B"
I simply copied and past those settings, but if you read my header you will see "These are the settings for High/Low W/B"

Also as I said those settings are not very good, and I wouldn't waste my time with those setting.

ss
post #3268 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

I'm trying to explain that I don't understand the settings as there listed. have i input the values correctly as you just quoted above? Thanks in advance!
post #3269 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

I've never tried a calibration with high panel brightness because, IIRC, it was no brighter than mid when I checked it, and there seemed to be a consensus from pro reviewers/calibrators that high panel brightness resulted in less accuracy with no actual brightness increase. My meter is on my ST60 right now, so I'll check measurements with high panel brightness...

High panel brightness improves my full-field white measurement from ~11.8 fL to ~12.1 fL -- obviously not an appreciable difference, and still worse than mid panel brightness when the TV was new. My 10% window luminance increases from ~40 fL to ~41 fL (at 83 contrast) by switching to high panel brightness, but that's meaningless since I'm targeting 40 and can reach ~49 with mid panel brightness (at 100 contrast). There isn't a measurable difference between high and mid panel brightness with a 4x4 ANSI pattern (~22.7 fL for both).

Full field white measurement is 11.8 to 12.1 !?? Thats INSANE! Thats exactly the same full field white measurement the Samsung F8500 gets! AND THATS THE BRIGHTEST PLASMA EVER MADE!
post #3270 of 3409 Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Ps: i did some night time viewing in day mode with little ambient room light and the increased brightness from day mode really had an effect against the ultra black filter. The blacks were superb....soo dark and inky. Especially on the hbo logo, it was a real treat. And if I didn't know any better I would say it looked very OLED ish....this was only on content that featured high contrasting scenes like GAme of thrones, etc

Quote:

i wasnt reffering to the S&V settings i was reffering to D-nice and his day mode settings. the picture is brighter but faces look green like folks are feeling sick. and the color temp is cool. doesnt seem as warm as it should be. just wanted to know if there was any adjustment i could make to just slighlty decrease the green skintones and make the picture seem warmer

Well anyone?

Is there any minor way I can alter D-Nices day mode settings to remove the green skin tones Im seeing?

I know these arent suppose to be accurate settings but good enough for day time viewing....I just cant get use to the green tinge on the faces im seeing
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page