post #3421 of 3425 Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
the reduction must be intentional, you can't possibly lose half luminaince in such a short time
Looks like its CalMAN. HCFR still measures it at .001.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3425 Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
I agree I definitely need a better meter, but its all I can afford for now.

What's funny is the inconsistent readings only occur in CalMAN during greyscale calibration, even after heeding your and sawfish's advice. Greyscale readings were stable using HCFR (and the black level reading was .001), so I went ahead and performed greyscale and gamma calibration using HCFR. I then used CalMAN for CMS calibration and performed a post calibration capture using HCFR. Greyscale and CMS deltaE's were all below 0.5, with a straight line gamma. I'm not too exited about the results, since I know my meter is not that accurate. Not sure what the heck is going on with CalMAN.

I never touch green when calibrating greyscale. The method you described is exactly how I calibrated my greyscale. I used the RGB High and Low settings to get all points around the ballpark. I then used the detail settings to tune them in. I did have to tinker with the Gamma and CMS settings, however.

What mid range budget meter would you recommend I upgrade to? Don't want to break the bank, but want something more accurate than my i1D3.

Thanks!
Your D3 meter is probably the best color meter that is affordable well under $1000. You may want to get a used I1Pro 2 or I1Pro rev D. to profile your D3 meter, but that is probably not going to help much with the low light readings.

I think HCFR uses the D3 tables that where created for ArgyllCMS by gwgill.
Calman probably uses different D3 tables so that may be were the difference lies. Or you may be just missing something in CM when you setup your meter.
iow, if HCFR is like Argyll it may be using some form of black point compensation with your D3 meter, and maybe CM has that feature also but you missed it. That I do not know because I don't have a D3 meter. Maybe ask scotti from CM, or call CM.

I use a K10 color meter along with its software CromaSurf for profiling the K10 with a spectro meter, and then store the profile in the K10 meters memory. That way my meter profile is always the same when changing calibration software, never any guess work.

I use CM v5.3 for my pre calibration settings, then use Argyll or LightSpace for my calibration's. I also use the above software for my measurement reports and sometimes also use CM just to make sure. CM's reports seem to always be close to what LS or Argyll reports say. However are VT60's do drift, so the 100% reading will vary a little.

If you have doubts about the calibration, look at a 21 point step grayscale pattern, if there is no tint of any color expect gray bars your grayscale should be ok. Also a flashing brightness pattern should show only gray bars. And a contrast flashing pattern for clipping should be gray bars. Also check your WRGB patterns for any clipping in those four colors. Chances are ther will be a little in white and blue, that's ok.
If all this checks out, I would think you have a good calibration.

btw, if you want take 5 or more readings with your D3 for 10%, 20% and 30%, then compare the readings for repeatability. Using HCFR and same for CM, if you get very close readings then there probably is np with the meter. Of-course use the same pattern source for both CM and HCFR.

ss
eaayoung likes this.
post #3423 of 3425 Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Your D3 meter is probably the best color meter that is affordable well under $1000. You may want to get a used I1Pro 2 or I1Pro rev D. to profile your D3 meter, but that is probably not going to help much with the low light readings.

I think HCFR uses the D3 tables that where created for ArgyllCMS by gwgill.
Calman probably uses different D3 tables so that may be were the difference lies. Or you may be just missing something in CM when you setup your meter.
iow, if HCFR is like Argyll it may be using some form of black point compensation with your D3 meter, and maybe CM has that feature also but you missed it. That I do not know because I don't have a D3 meter. Maybe ask scotti from CM, or call CM.

I use a K10 color meter along with its software CromaSurf for profiling the K10 with a spectro meter, and then store the profile in the K10 meters memory. That way my meter profile is always the same when changing calibration software, never any guess work.

I use CM v5.3 for my pre calibration settings, then use Argyll or LightSpace for my calibration's. I also use the above software for my measurement reports and sometimes also use CM just to make sure. CM's reports seem to always be close to what LS or Argyll reports say. However are VT60's do drift, so the 100% reading will vary a little.

If you have doubts about the calibration, look at a 21 point step grayscale pattern, if there is no tint of any color expect gray bars your grayscale should be ok. Also a flashing brightness pattern should show only gray bars. And a contrast flashing pattern for clipping should be gray bars. Also check your WRGB patterns for any clipping in those four colors. Chances are ther will be a little in white and blue, that's ok.
If all this checks out, I would think you have a good calibration.

btw, if you want take 5 or more readings with your D3 for 10%, 20% and 30%, then compare the readings for repeatability. Using HCFR and same for CM, if you get very close readings then there probably is np with the meter. Of-course use the same pattern source for both CM and HCFR.

ss
I think I figured out the problem. I only changed exposure time under meter settings to 1.5 seconds and my readings are more stable. Will recalibrate and report back.
post #3424 of 3425 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
I think I figured out the problem. I only changed exposure time under meter settings to 1.5 seconds and my readings are more stable. Will recalibrate and report back.
Yes it sounds like from what you have been saying, that you have a very good grasp on what needs to be done.
Its easy to miss a setting, lord know's I have missed my share of settings over the years.

ss
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page