Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 3425 Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Depends on if the bars are on top and bottom or the sides.

I'm talking about movies where the bars are on the top and bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3425 Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2k4 View Post

I'm talking about movies where the bars are on the top and bottom
Zoom is the only thing that will make it near full screen but the pq will suffer and you will be missing out on a lot of the picture on the sides.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2073 of 3425 Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason22 View Post

Thanks.

I am thinking to run slides in between regular watch, i will count 100 hours for the slideshow separately . All together slide+regular watch will be over 100 hours though, you cant overdo with the break in hours ?
Your last most was not clear to me. I prefer true cinema mode, should i use slideshow with the picture mode i like or stick with the custom ? (hard to say where the custom route will take me now or if i will like it)
What i dont undetstand is, isnt the tv we are breaking in and not picture mode, why should it matter even...

jason....  maybe thinking like this will help make clearer...  The idea of the slides is to age all three phosphors evenly across the entire panel.  That way the changes will occur in a uniform way.  The aging process is fast at first and then happens more and more slowly.  To be sure that there is no image 'retention' / burn in you should always avoid static images or black letterbox bars during early use.  After a large percentage of change takes place, say 100 - 200 hours, then there is much less chance for retention. Consider - after 100 hours, you watch a 2 hour letterbox movie....  the black bars will then have 2% less use than the rest.  This is not a significant difference.  And as the TV is used more and more these differences will get smaller.  As to the exact settings you use, it is a matter of opinion, not rigid fact.  Somes say high contrast = fast aging, other say 50% to age slowly.  I have ± 50 hours on a new 60ST60 and just loaded the D-Nice calibration.  Looks way better than at first with factory settings.  As the reviews say, the picture quality, especially skin tones, is really fabulous!   I will keep running the slides for 50 - 100 hours more!

But just a thought.... where I live I have limited HD plus Blu-Ray.  The differences is image appearance from source to source are far greater than minor changes in the calibration.  My background is Color Management in Lithographic printing so I am pretty fussy about how images reproduce.  I think most people want a pleasing / natural looking picture, not just good numbers on a gamut graph!  Good luck... and is pretty interesting!  john 

2907Laz likes this.
post #2074 of 3425 Old 11-06-2013, 11:26 PM

Being new to plasma and native 24p playback, I'm not sure if I like watching films at 96hz. The flickering is one thing but it's hard not to notice the phosphor trails(?). It's jarring to see the green and red outlines when people are in motion. If I set the ST60 to play at 60hz (all enhancement off), it's much better but it's looks kind of like the soap opera effect. If I set XBMC to not synce refresh rate, it's better but I think judder happens.

Xbmc sync, tv 96hz = trails
Xbmc sync, tv 60hz = soap opera-ish
Xbmc unsync, tv options greyed = judder

What do you guys prefer?
post #2075 of 3425 Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 PM

Liked: 12

They should just run the panel at 120hz and be done with it, why use all these intermediate frame rates..

post #2076 of 3425 Old 11-06-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Try a recent Blu Ray movie disc, use a Blu Ray player, source direct.. Run directly to your st60 @ 96hz.
On my VT60 there is nothing like what you are seeing.

Also you may want to calibrate your display.

ss .
post #2077 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 05:53 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a way to save or load Custom picture settings? Any time the TV loses power it goes back to Standard picture settings, though other settings (Sound) is maintained.

(ST60 using D-Nice Settings post 100-hr)

Thanks!
post #2078 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
That's odd I have never had that happen on my set, you can use the settings copy them to an unused input perhaps, that way you can quickly restore them. Are you losing the settings when you turn your set off ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2079 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 AM

Im having a hell of a time with using the prep slides. When I pull up the slides on the SD card using the TV, half the photo boxes have large "!" and say "cannot read file". Once it gets through about 12 of those, the colors start, finish all 12 and then it's right back to the 12 corrupt files...anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?
post #2080 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 AM

Does anyone have a list of the possible keyboard commands possible to use in place of the remote?  The supplied list is quite short.

Thanks

post #2081 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Train View Post

Im having a hell of a time with using the prep slides. When I pull up the slides on the SD card using the TV, half the photo boxes have large "!" and say "cannot read file". Once it gets through about 12 of those, the colors start, finish all 12 and then it's right back to the 12 corrupt files...anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

If you use your Mac to download and copy to the card, those invisible files are the resource forks for the jpegs.  Your Mac does not show them, but the TV sees them and then stops the Slide Show because they are not readable.  I have seen various solutions to wipe those files off the SD card or USB drive, but with my Snow Leopard OSX, they did not work.  I did this:

1.  Erase and Format the SD card for Fat32.

2.  Write the files onto the blank card or drive from my PC laptop.  No hidden files, so plays perfect.

3.  If you have another OSX maybe the suggestions for using the 'Clean' commands in the Terminal will work.

4.  Check this link on how to clean those files.  http://superuser.com/questions/319553/mac-terminal-script-to-remove-hidden-files

post #2082 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfx View Post

Being new to plasma and native 24p playback, I'm not sure if I like watching films at 96hz. The flickering is one thing but it's hard not to notice the phosphor trails(?). It's jarring to see the green and red outlines when people are in motion. If I set the ST60 to play at 60hz (all enhancement off), it's much better but it's looks kind of like the soap opera effect. If I set XBMC to not synce refresh rate, it's better but I think judder happens.

Xbmc sync, tv 96hz = trails
Xbmc sync, tv 60hz = soap opera-ish
Xbmc unsync, tv options greyed = judder

What do you guys prefer?

For me it's different with different sources. I set my PCH to output at 1080p 60Hz, with 24Hz enabled & frame sync on & tv set to 96Hz. Similar to the first option you have ("Xbmc sync, tv 96hz = trails"). Some movies play fine & I can leave the settings alone. Then there are times when there is judder & I have to set it to 60Hz & it clears everything up. That' been my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Try a recent Blu Ray movie disc, use a Blu Ray player, source direct.. Run directly to your st60 @ 96hz.
On my VT60 there is nothing like what you are seeing.

Also you may want to calibrate your display.

ss .

The VT is fine the ST struggles a little in this area.
post #2083 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bond, appreciate your help and quick replies. I think what a few of us are questioning is as you say, if we use D-Nice settings, then we should be breaking it in on Custom and then use his Custom settings correct? I think there are two settings out there and one is from Fairchild who gives settings for both Cinema mode and Custom.
post #2084 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post

Bond, appreciate your help and quick replies. I think what a few of us are questioning is as you say, if we use D-Nice settings, then we should be breaking it in on Custom and then use his Custom settings correct? I think there are two settings out there and one is from Fairchild who gives settings for both Cinema mode and Custom.
If you want to get close to the results of DNice then you should follow his instructions exactly.
If youre not interested in using his settings and are using the slides strictly as a panel break in then you have much more leeway. Whatever picture mode you use with the slides it will not harm the panel. But I would suggest Custom default.
A lot of people like Fairchilds settings but I dont know how many sets of them there are.

post #2085 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK it should keep the settings even when unplugged. Unless maybe it was for like a year or something.

post #2086 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

That's odd I have never had that happen on my set, you can use the settings copy them to an unused input perhaps, that way you can quickly restore them. Are you losing the settings when you turn your set off ?

I don't lose settings when we turn off the power button- as long as there is power into the set it stays. What has happened recently is that we've popped a breaker, had a power outage, and I kicked a surge protector. Each time that disrupted power to the set, and each time when the TV powered back, up it was back on Standard picture. Flipping it over to Custom revealed that those settings were back to default.

I was hoping to learn if it was just me and/or if there was a slick way to save/reload settings to make this occasional occurrence a non-issue.

Thanks
post #2087 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
The set should be retaining the settings even if it unplugged reverting to standard mode I have seen but not the loss of settings. Might be worth a call to Panasonic.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2088 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM

I love my VT60 but so far there is one thing that seems to distract me pretty easily on it. Please help me clear this up.

There appears to be in every movie and every show I watch, various objects and clothing etc that have what I can only describe as mini banding. It is most noticeable on animation shows such as Family Guy Etc. But again it's not on everything. For example when watching Futurama or Family guy if someone is wearing a brown shirt which is supposed to clearly be a solid color through and through, I will see faint faded back lines maybe 2-3 mm all the way up and down the shirt running horizontal. But other solid colors around it on other object will not have this. EVERY movie and show that I have watched has this happen on various objects that are clearly not supposed to have these faded lines. Usually with the semi dark colors. But if I for example use a purity test and have the entire screen solid colors I see no sign of it.

It annoys the hell out of me and I have no clue as to what it is. But as far as I can tell it is the TV producing this.

Can anyone explain to me what this is?

Thank you.

-The Source is PS3 through HDMI. And i just put in a new BR drive in it "the other crapped out"

post #2089 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 99
I would say it's more source than the TV because I do not have these issues. But then again I'm no expert just sharing my viewing
post #2090 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurriKane View Post

Is there a way to save or load Custom picture settings? Any time the TV loses power it goes back to Standard picture settings, though other settings (Sound) is maintained.

(ST60 using D-Nice Settings post 100-hr)

Thanks!

Did you click "Copy Adjustments" after changing the settings? I didn't the first time I loaded up DNice's Custom settings and after turning the set off/on, I had to reload all the settings again. You need to "Copy Adjustments" in order for them to stick.

Cheers,
Robin
post #2091 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

Did you click "Copy Adjustments" after changing the settings? I didn't the first time I loaded up DNice's Custom settings and after turning the set off/on, I had to reload all the settings again. You need to "Copy Adjustments" in order for them to stick.

Cheers,
Robin

It was my understanding that "Copy Adjustments" was utilized to copy settings from one input to another, as they can all be configured individually (e.g. the settings for the BluRay player on HDMI 1 for "Cinema" mode, may be different than the cable box settings for "Cinema" on HDMI 2). Are you even allowed to "Copy" settings to the same input? I did that by accident once and the menu did not allow.
post #2092 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

It was my understanding that "Copy Adjustments" was utilized to copy settings from one input to another, as they can all be configured individually (e.g. the settings for the BluRay player on HDMI 1 for "Cinema" mode, may be different than the cable box settings for "Cinema" on HDMI 2). Are you even allowed to "Copy" settings to the same input? I did that by accident once and the menu did not allow.

You are copying picture mode setting changes, be it Cimena or Custom picture mode. As I only use 1 HDMI input and have the rest blocked on my Panny, I simply used 'ALL" for my Destination input. You can have the picture mode destination go to whatever input(s) you like, then click "Copy start". You can make picture mode changes to each individual input if you like.
post #2093 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Yes. That is how I understand it. However one should not have to "save" any changes, as opposed to "Copy Adjustments", just to get the settings to be persistent.
post #2094 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You can also copy between Cinema and Custom modes on the same input. For example, if you use Custom, saving it to Cinema can be useful as a sort of backup.
post #2095 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

You can also copy between Cinema and Custom modes on the same input. For example, if you use Custom, saving it to Cinema can be useful as a sort of backup.

...as well as copy between "modes" and "inputs".
post #2096 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Anyone running slides notice that when running the grey slides there is a very thin purple line running down the left side and a very thin green line on the right side (1 pixel width)? Is that normal?
post #2097 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Anyone running slides notice that when running the grey slides there is a very thin purple line running down the left side and a very thin green line on the right side (1 pixel width)? Is that normal?

Yes is normal... is the alignment of the RGB pixels.  I thought it was chromatic aberration like in photos, but it is not.  It is purple/blue on the left side and yellow/green on the right.  Just the alignment of the individual RG and B pixels.  BTW, you are not supposed to look at the screen with ur reading glasses on from a distance of 6".... LOL

post #2098 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrun2 View Post

Yes is normal... is the alignment of the RGB pixels.  I thought it was chromatic aberration like in photos, but it is not.  It is purple/blue on the left side and yellow/green on the right.  Just the alignment of the individual RG and B pixels.  BTW, you are not supposed to look at the screen with ur reading glasses on from a distance of 6".... LOL

LOL thanks...I actually noticed it from around 4 feet away without my glasses but I get your point...

Was looking for dead pixels which is why I was so close to the screen. Either that or it was in between the hugs I was giving my new VT60!
post #2099 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Yes

post #2100 of 3425 Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 PM

So I'm a new poster, but not new to this forum, by a long-shot (12years). I've had all of my TVs calibrated by ISF Tech Robert Bush as well as other noteworthy folks, and they have always hit a home run. I also work in the Entertainment industry and done setup for AVID and Final Cut Pro systems, so I'm pretty sure I know correct color. My displays to date have been:
Toshiba TW40H80
Samsung HLP5685W
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
Mitsubishi HC-4000
Panasonic TC-P60ST60

Just purchased a replacement TC-P60ST60 and used the DNICE slides for 120 hours (thank you DNICE) with the correct settings. With the first TV I didn't run the slides and got burn-in from MSNBC even though I didn't watch it for an extended period of time, and Contrast was at 60!! yes, not IR, burn in! I had also used the DNICE settings but they weren't impressive. I guess this may be because I didn't use the slides first, so I wont complain.
A week ago Amazon sent me a new one because I was within the 30 days, and I ran the slides for 120 hours and then.....so let's talk about settings :-).

I tried everyone's settings DNICE, CNET, Sound & Vision, and I have to say...they are not close. The major issue I see is that there is an extreme red push and orange does not look natural at all. I see that others have tried these settings and they all say Wow!!....what am I missing? I noticed this was done on a 55". Do those settings carryover to the 60', or am I out of luck? I'm meticulous and I've triple checked every setting. Any help would be great. Even someone else with a calibrated 60" set and some settings would be great.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page